Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167821 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6725 on: May 07, 2012, 07:39:50 PM »
my Wii U budget projected budget is taking into assumption I'll want to buy a 64 GB SD card at launch....

Woah, wait a sec, I just double-checked and the Wii U only supports SDHC (Max SD card size 32 GB), not SDXC(64GB-2TB). According to wikipedia supporting SDXC requires licensing some proprietary tech from MS so that's probably why.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: May 07, 2012, 07:45:10 PM »
my Wii U budget projected budget is taking into assumption I'll want to buy a 64 GB SD card at launch....

Woah, wait a sec, I just double-checked and the Wii U only supports SDHC (Max SD card size 32 GB), not SDXC(64GB-2TB). According to wikipedia supporting SDXC requires licensing some proprietary tech from MS so that's probably why.

For small games like the ones found on 3DS, smartphones, and tablets, 32GB is more than enough. For console-size games, it's pathetic.

In Nintendo's defense, they are very good at file size compression. I have a ton of games on my Wii's 8GB SD card, and I've only used a fraction of the card's total capacity. Same thing with my 3DS.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6727 on: May 07, 2012, 07:48:51 PM »

For small games like the ones found on 3DS, smartphones, and tablets, 32GB is more than enough. For console-size games, it's pathetic.

In Nintendo's defense, they are very good at file size compression. I have a ton of games on my Wii's 8GB SD card, and I've only used a fraction of the card's total capacity. Same thing with my 3DS.

Even with console games, 32GB would get you at least 3 or 4 full size games (unless the publisher decides they don't want to do any compression). Last gen, almost every console game could fit onto a 8.7GB DVD disc. Plus, like you said Nintendo has very good compression techniques. I am not worried. Besides, you will be able to use USB drives too.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: May 07, 2012, 07:56:35 PM »
The 3DS officially only supports SDHC (and regular SD), but has been shown to accept SDXC as well. The Wii didn't officially support SDHC at first, but it was added via software update with the SD card channel.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: May 07, 2012, 09:03:06 PM »
The 3DS officially only supports SDHC (and regular SD), but has been shown to accept SDXC as well. The Wii didn't officially support SDHC at first, but it was added via software update with the SD card channel.

If the 3DS officially supports only SD and SDHC, then how can it support SDXC? By the way why do SD cards over 32GB need to have a special name ("SDXC")? Why can't they all be considered high capacity?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: May 07, 2012, 09:07:22 PM »
I believe the difference in name refers to a slight difference in tech, either in the hardware or the software. What likely happened is Nintendo bought SD card readers that had the capability for SDXC, but they only advertised SDHC, most likely because of licensing costs. As I said, the Wii didn't officially support SDHC cards until they patched it in, even though the hardware was capable of it all along.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: May 07, 2012, 10:09:07 PM »
Man, I would love my 3DS to have a 2TB SD card...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rumor Consolidation 2011
« Reply #6732 on: May 07, 2012, 11:31:24 PM »
You know what guys, there's been a long road of rumors leading up to this very moment in time, and here we are, less than a month away from the big reveal @ E3 2012.

So I thought that maybe we should all take some time to review all the things that lead us to where we are now. And to help things get started, I though I would quote the Rumor Consolidation in it's entirety from beginning to present.

Rumor Consolidation 2011

September 2010:
-Itagaki of Team Ninja hints at game Devil's Third being made for Wii2

October 2010:
-Marvell QuadCore processors for new console - *This might have had something to do with Kinect, But I don't remember.
-IBM implies that Wii2 uses Cell based PPC *Confirmed*

November 2010:
-Marvell Quad cores gets a large order: From large console manufacturer - *once again might be Kinect related.
-House of the Dead: Overkill 2 in the works 
-EA reviving NFL Blitz

December 2010:

January 2011:
-UltraViolet Media Cloud service coming to a console - Most Likely Sony since Sony is a partner.
-New Pokemon game for Wii *New Pokémon game for 3DS instead*

February 2011:
-Wii2 announcement coming soon according to THQ *Confirmed*

March 2011:
-Wii2 announcement coming soon according to EA *Confirmed*
-AMD working on CPU/GPU combined (Fusion based) chip for console due for release @ end of 2012; Told to bring schedule in for earlier release. *Update* - This matches up with this rumor from back in Dec. AMD Fusion based Xbox 720 in 2012?

April 2011:
-Monster Hunter 3DS to be announced soon *Confirmed* Monster Hunter 3G & Monster Hunter 4
-SSFIV3D connects to home console - Hint @ Wii2 from Capcom and 3DS -> Wii2 connectivity
-Wii price drop to $150 on May 15th *Confirmed*
-Wii2 announcement @ E3: 1080p HD, More powerful than PS360, BC with Wii, release late 2012 *Confirmed*
-New Wii2 controller has HD screen built in *Non HD Screen Confirmed*
-Wii2 to use Bluray technology *High Density Optical Disc Confirmed*
-Wii2 actually aimed at early 2012 release (1st half 2012) *IGN backs this up in their mailbag*
-Controller Screen is actually a Touch Screen *Touch Screen Confirmed*
-Project Cafe: Wii2 Controller is a Tablet: 6" touch Screen on Controller, front facing camera & doubles as sensor bar for BC *Codename Confirmed* *All Confrmed*
-Dual Analogs, Streaming & Games Wii2 controller to rival 3DS, NGP, iPhone & iPad apparently *Confirmed*
-1st & 3rd Party games @ E3 *confirmed* EA, Ubisoft & Capcom all but confirmed
-Wii2 = TriCore PPC & R700 class GPU w/ 512+MB Ram Another surprise to be shown @ E3 *TriCore CPU Confirmed*
-3rd Parties have had Wii2 Dev Kits for Months, Has better Motion Tracking than Move *Dev Kits Confirmed*
-Pikmin 3 moved to Project Cafe *Confirmed* to be shown @ E3; Nintendo also in talks with R* for solid AAA support.
-Wii2 launch June 2012; Rockstar delivering game (?GTA V?) during launch window
-Wii2, 3DS & E3!? Oh Yes!!; 3rd Parties taking a front seat this time around.
-Retro working on Wii2 game; and it's "a project everyone wants us to do" (Starfox? Zelda? New Original FPS?)
-Nintendo prepping Head Mounted 3D VR? sounds like the NintendoOn to me....
-Wii 2 will not be Dreamcast, it’ll be “the PlayStation 2 of next gen”; A true next gen console? sounds like it.
-Retro's new game is actually Eternal Darkness 2?
-"Where there's smoke, there's fire" - Miyamoto's comment on Project Cafe - He also said not to believe everything you hear though.
-Wii2 controller has a 6.2" screen and 8 buttons *Confirmed*
-IGN: The N Stream (Wii2) Details "confirmed"?
-1up says: No Friend Codes for Wii2 *Confirmed* I think
-Retro making DKCR sequel for Wii2?
-Project Cafe Codename Confirmed; 01net rumors now have even more credibility
-4Chan Cafe "Leak"?; Sounds like a wishlist to me.
-Rareware to make 3DS games?; not sure how likely this one is, but Rare did release DS games
-Nintendo Select = $19.99 Players Choice line? *Confirmed*
-Project Cafe E3 Publishers List?; More than likely fake, but the real thing will probably still be close
-Super Smash Brothers Café @ E3 2011?; Every Nintendo Franchise to be shown off in HD? Sounds good to me ;) *SSB Wiiu & 3DS Announced - Confirmed*

May 2011:
-Haptic Feedback & Vitality Sensor Built In? *Fake*
-Project Cafe: 8GB onboard Flash, 25GB disc & 1080p
-Track Pad in the Cafe Pad?; Just because I don't believe it don't mean it's not possible... *False*
-GTAV to be revealed @ E3?
-$350+ Wii2 starts production in October (Foxconn to produce)
-MS to steal Nintendo's thunder @ E3? *False* Not at this E3 atleast
-Zumba Fitness 2 for Project Cafe? to be announced/released early 2012!?
-Pikmin 3 & Endless Ocean 3 screenshots? They're likely fake, but what if they aren't.... E3 is still so far away.
-IGN: Cafe to use a 4850? maybe 2GB's of RAM (1GB GPU & 1GB CPU)?
-Valve working on Café (Wii2)?; *Confirmed* HipHopGamer says Gabe Newell is impressed with Café and it's ease of development
-The Last Story coming to Europe!?; If they translate it, it better come to the U.S. too.
-Wii VC transferable to Café? HD versions getting made?
-Project Café Spec Sheet?; Only time will tell *Fake*
-21 Rumors & A Bet To Back Them Up; Gotta love a bet where we win either way!
-Metroid Café Screenshot!?; I call fake, but it still looks good to me. [fake]
-HQ Camera's in Café?
-"Final" Spec Sheet and Comparison; I compare it to the previous Spec Sheet... (less than 6 days left) *Fake*
-New Zelda for 25th Anniversary!?; Legend of Paper Zelda anyone!? *4 Swords DSi - Confirmed*
-ESRB Leak!? Nintendo Current!? E3 Games Reel!? *update* *fake*
-Project Cafe @ EB Games Expo!?; Nintendo will be there, surely Café will be too. Will you be there?
-12 Skyward Sword Rumors; A Pre-E3 roundup of Zelda Rumors (with a bonus #13)
-Super Mario Café @ E3?; It would only make sense.... *NSMBMii - Confirmed*
-Nikkei Confirms 6" Touch Screen, Camera and Rechargeable Battery; Mid-2012 Launch Date expected *Confirmed*
-Super Mario Wii 2!? as in Super Mario for Wii 2? *NSMBMii could be considered NSMBW2 - Confirmed?*
-Another 4Chan leak!? I want to believe it. So do you.; So. Do. You. *Controller details are False*
-Project Cafe to be called... Nintendo? Just Nintendo.... that's it. *False*
-Nintendo Beem?; I think it works... not as well a xStream ;P but it's probably [fake] anyways.

June 2011:
-GTA V coming in 2012!? It's Likely.; Wiiu launch window title sounds likely too

July 2011:
-Iwata subsidizes 3DS price drop with executive pay cuts!?
-Street Fighter x Tekken is coing to 3DS!?

August 2011:
-4 New Nintendo Selects this Month!? *Confirmed*
-Patents reveal uMote possibly uses Flash Mem, H.264, WirelessN, Multi-Touch and has a Cradle/Docking Station!
-Zone Of Enders 3DS - ZOE:3DS; Kojima Tweeted it with pics, so it must be true right?
-Magic Box says: New Fire Emblem: Blue Sacred Sword and Red Demon Lance
-01.Net  says 2nd Analog Attachment for 3DS coming & then details some internal Nintendo Drama *2nd Analog  Confirmed*
-Dragon Quest X to be MMO-like *Confirmed*
-01.Net says that some Nintendo Game Designs may be a little more than borrowed; Truth may never come to light on this one
-Epic Mickey 2 in development!? Mickey & Oswald co-op?

September 2011:
-Monster Hunter TriG, Baten Kaitos & Mach Rider: Unchained to be unveiled @ 3DS event next week
-More games rumored for next week; Yoshi, Ace Attorney, Etrian Odyssey and more....
-Wii U uses 28nm chips & 1T-SRAM!? NEC & MoSys still in the picture
-Super Smash Bros. Universe!?

October 2011:
-Luigi's Mansion 2 slide pad compatible? That would make it the only 1st party game so far that is...
-Some Sonic Dimensions Rumors and Details(?); Sega Dev [laughs] and says "*Hoax*"

November 2011:
-Silicon Knights working on Eternal Darkness 2?; it's the only "requested" title from them that I can think of.
-Revised Wiimote w/touchscreen mentioned in Sonic Dimensions rumor? yet another wiimote attachment? :/
-Wii U to support 2 tablets!? they never said it wouldn't, but anything confirming that it will is good news in my book.
-Is EA gunning to be the sole Digital Distributor for Wii U?; Trying to get any edge over Steam that it can.
-Wii U Dev Kits have atleast 2 GB of RAM; it was also mentioned that it was tri-core dual threaded Power based CPU & GPU around 1.2 TFlops
-DQVII or FFVII 3DS!? - Something about 7th entry of popular JRPG released 6 months after spinoff....
-AMD's GCN Graphics Core a possibilty for Wii U?; Graphics Core Next & GameCube Nintendo... surely it's just a coincedence

December 2011
-Xenoblade April 2012 in the US?; Operation Rainfall would like to take credit for this one...
-Wii U Specs: 768MB of eDRAM & 3Ghz QCore PPC?; I call BS on this one... but we will know soon enough.
-Real Wii U App Store!?; I can't wait for Angry Birds & Customizable clocks...
-EPIC Mickey 2 - Fall 2012 (Multi-plat & Co-op); I hope it's an improvement over the original (which I still have yet to play :P: : )

Rumor Consolidation 2012

January 2012
-Wii U eReader & iOS Apps!?; Taking on Apple head to head? You have my sword.
-Sega All-Star Racing 2? Wii U - was the first one any good? serious question. I've never played it.
-Nintendo's Online Network to revival Live & PSN!?; Now your taking on MS & Sony head on too? You have my shield.
-Rocksteady Studios (Batman AA/AC) making a new TMNT game!?; As long as it includes Bebop, we approve.
-New Wii U Dev Kits More Powerful than expected.; Now we are playing with POWER!!
-Retro Studios working on StarFox Wii U?; I'd rather them work on something else, but I'm not mad if it's true.
-Wii U = 5X360!?; Let's hope IGN gets it right this time.
-Nintendo renaming the Wii U?; No. they will not call is Super Wii. Stop It Kytim.
-Resident Evil 6 is coming to Wii U; I'm the source on this one... a very pretty birdie told me.
-Nintendo using voice recognition software in Wii U; I hope it's comparable to this Siri I keep hearing so much about
-Zelda 3DS to be unveiled at GDC 2012; So soon after SS?

February 2012
-Lady GaGa: The Experience!?; My ears will bleed, but I'll have no choice but to buy it (not for me)
-Activision backing Nintendo Big in 2012 & 2013; Time to walk the walk this time
-Epic Mickey 2 U?; Looks like it could be headed to Wii U now
-Samaritan on Wii U?; @ 720p if rumors of power are to be believed.
-HD & 3D uMote screen!?; I know it was speculated before, but this is a whole new patent
-CoD: BlOps2 is this years CoD title?; if it is, it will be on Wii U no doubt.
-Activision Working On Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Game?; Do they have a studio by the name Bebop?
-Pokemon B&W Sequel to be announced this Week!?; Pokemon Grey incoming? *Confirmed* Pokemon B&W2
-Nintendo to make Wii U a media centerpiece!? Taking a page from Xbox Live's playbook? Sounds good to me.
-CryEngine Wii U Demo @ GDC; Rumor is that they can't wait to show it off. Fact is that I can't wait to see it.
-Time Splitters 4, Overstrike & Dead Space Wii U!?; Add the sports titles and EA is not playing around this time.
-No Xbox720 till maybe 2014 & PS3 to come in 2013!?; So says the same source as RE6 on Wii U...
-$299 Wii U @ launch?; This rumor is from the same place that said 768MB embeded DRAM in Wii U. Salt Lick needed.

March 2012
-Nintendo tweaked Wii U to run Unreal Engine 4; Caterkiller knows the source, so direct your questions at him ;)
-Donkey Kong 3D in the works for 3DS!?; GameStop seems to thinks so... Now GameStop says *NO*
-3 New IP's @ E3 for Nintendo?; and 10 Nintendo titles @ E3 + 70 3rd Party games in development!
-AMD has been working on Wii U GPU since atleast June 2009?; and possibly with IBM all while in India
-Current Wii U Dev Kits are True 720p with heavy uPad usage.; 1080p still possible with less uPad usage & current dev kit is not the most recent released.
-Major eShop leak?; I would love for it to be true... but I do not believe it is. But we shall see. Can't wait 4 E3!
-Epic Mickey 2: Power of Illusion 3DS!?; *TRUE*... but still waiting on a Wii U version.
-Nintendo NDA's to be lifted sometime next week? FY2012 ends after next week. Investor Meetings & Financial Reports could reveal some goodies.
-Capcom has an Action Title ready to show for Wii U @ E3!; RE6 anyone?
-The Last Ranger is actually a sequel to Dillon's Rolling Western!?; I guess we'll have to wait and see...
-Retro's next game looks "extremely impressive" and it is NOT DK, TLOZ or Metroid...; StarTropics?
-Regional Nintendo's want change U too!!?; It's not just the gamers wishing for this to happen...
-New 3DS Firmware Update Incoming? with lots of new features included!! Nintendo Network goes live early?
-Two tribes hints @ Steamworks/Wii U Cross Platform Play? it would be nice if Steam was on Wii U.... *wink wink*
-Headstrong rebooting a Sega IP from the Dreamcast Era? only to have it cancelled!? ....Jet Set!?
-Nintendo & MySpace Sitting in a Tree....?; getting together for the launch of MySpaceTV?

April

-Wii U less powerful than PS360, Developers say...; late April fools joke or the bitter truth? Probably BS either way.
-Wii U Launch 11/18/2012?; GameStop agees; Lots of Nintendo stuff has launched the week b4 Black Friday.
-Nintendo Grand Prix?; Nintendo's own GT/Forza? in the style of Project Gotham Racing?
-Haptics coming to Wii U!?; ViviTouch does haptic rumble and not haptic touch (from what I've heard)
-Engine optimizations lead to 3x-4x performance increase; That's from software documentation (uMote is referred to as DRC)
-Lucas Arts making a Star Wars MMO for Wii U!?; I don't know, but they are making something MMO for Wii U.
-$180 is what it cost Nintendo for all the parts in Wii U?; not including assembly, R&D, shipping, etc. etc.
-Wii U currently reserves 512MB of RAM for OS functions?; that's a lot of space for a console OS. Must be nice!
-Hitman: Absolution coming to Wii U? along with several other titles from SE devs?
-Pandora's Tower Coming to North America? NWR got the scoop, GameStop is the source.
-Universal uMote!? Potential TVGuide, Channel Preview, multi-device control and more!? make it happen please.
-Nintendo & Square ink a deal to revive an old Square character? From SMRPG maybe?
-Crazy rumors... something about Epic & Metroid / Wii U & Android / & a big multimedia push
-uMote has been remodeled and leaked pic is not the final version?
-uMote to get better range than we thought!? let's hope so. Nintendo was conservative with Wavebird too...
-Wii U to "Street Pass" like 3DS?; using Gamer Cards to collect data on the go? sounds good to me... I guess.
-Wii U @ $350?; Likely just a place holder price, but why spend money to advertise it?

May
-More to the "Android on Wii U" rumors than we previously thought? Very fully featured OS incoming? A supposed Google employee on GAF seems to think so....
-Google and Nintendo have been working on an OS together since 2007 (post from 4/30/2010) 
-"Clicky Sticks" on the uMote!?; Another controller feature to bring parity between Wii U and PS360
-New Patents show possible uMote stand and Zapper gun attachments; lots more plastic attachments to come, I''m sure.
-Starfox in the works for Wii U?; Let's hope that whoever is making it, loved SF64.
-Blockbuster Leaks Wii U Lineup?; looks pretty solid if true.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 01:25:46 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6733 on: May 08, 2012, 12:54:07 AM »
Thank you for that. +1
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: May 08, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
Did Blockbuster in the UK just accidently reveal the Wii U launch titles?

http://www.infendo.com/did-blockbuster-leak-wii-u-launch-titles-in-the-uk/#more-40193

• Just Dance 4
• Killer Freaks From Outer Space
• Marvel Super Heroes
• Metro Last Light
• Monsters Party
• New Super Mario Brothers Mii
• Ninja Gaiden 3
• Pikmin
• Rabbids Party Land
• Raving Rabbids
• Rayman Legends
• Shield Pose
• Splinter Cell 6
• Sports Connection
• Tekken
• Your Shape 2013
• Zombie
• Aliens: Colonial Marines
• Assassin’s Creed
• Batman Arkham City
• Darksiders II
• Dirt 3
• Formula 1 All Stars
• Game Party
• Ghost Recon Online

That is what I like to call a "blockbuster" Announcement.
A former Blockbuster UK EE told Joystiq that this is just a list of speculated games.  It's nothing different from what Gamestop does, especially during the run up to the launch of new consoles.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6735 on: May 09, 2012, 06:17:28 AM »

pretty sure you can buy USB external HDDs as well. Although i hope they support usb 3.0 since you'll want a fast transfer speed when playing downloaded retail games. external usb drives are pretty cheap (you can buy a 2TB one for the same price as those marked up 360 harddrives) and they'll only get cheaper as time goes on. Hell, maybe by the end of the generation you'll be able to buy external solid state drives without paying an arm and a leg.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6736 on: May 09, 2012, 06:22:05 AM »
I think we might have to put the odds of Nintendo using USB 3.0 pretty low. They're known for their. . .frugality.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: May 09, 2012, 07:18:10 AM »
I expect Sony and MS to support USB 3.0 so Wii U should have it. However, more than feature parity, it would be nice to have in Wii U considering we probably won't see a successor until 2017-2019. When you look at it that way, USB 3.0 support makes a lot more sense. And unfortunately, this isn't one of those things 3rd parties are likely lighting up Nintendo's phones to include so this is probably the thing that suffers from Nintendo's trademark lack of foresight.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: May 09, 2012, 09:33:26 AM »
Though you are forgetting Nintendo war against load times in general.  I think we will get USB 3.0 if you can only hook an external harddrive to the Wii U.  If it has a spot for an internal one then I think it will probably be no dice.  Though I sort of rather have eSata.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: May 09, 2012, 12:13:07 PM »
Though you are forgetting Nintendo war against load times in general.  I think we will get USB 3.0 if you can only hook an external harddrive to the Wii U.  If it has a spot for an internal one then I think it will probably be no dice.  Though I sort of rather have eSata.
Either eSata or USB 3.0 would be ideal, or even Thunderbolt would be fine (though that is less supported).  If they do have a slot for an internal HDD, I hope they use Sata 3.0 so it's 6GB/s download speed.  SSDs make load times nearly non-existent, especially on Sata 3.0.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: May 09, 2012, 02:41:24 PM »
Either eSata or USB 3.0 would be ideal, or even Thunderbolt would be fine (though that is less supported).  If they do have a slot for an internal HDD, I hope they use Sata 3.0 so it's 6GB/s download speed.  SSDs make load times nearly non-existent, especially on Sata 3.0.
I keep waiting for SSD prices to drop but they really haven't.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline xxbrothawizxx

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: May 09, 2012, 02:55:14 PM »
I can't speak on GTAV, but CoD will be on all available systems this fall/winter.
from iPhone to 3DS/Vita to Wii to PS360 to Wii U & PC

GTAV was part of the original rumors coming from 01.net, so I'm sure we will see it come to light at E3 as just about everything else they were talking about came true.
I know you're pretty reliable, but do you know CoD 3DS and Wii U for sure, or are you just speculating based on their prior platform choices?

In other words, has a source clued you in on this?

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: May 09, 2012, 04:43:01 PM »
SSD prices have dropped dramatically from even a year ago, but they aren't coming down fast enough for the mainstream.  I don't have one yet either.  Of course, I still haven't built my dream machine either.  Until I do that, I won't need an SSD. :) (unless I found one for a great price and could put it in a WiiU.)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: May 09, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »
SSD prices have dropped dramatically from even a year ago, but they aren't coming down fast enough for the mainstream.  I don't have one yet either.  Of course, I still haven't built my dream machine either.  Until I do that, I won't need an SSD. :) (unless I found one for a great price and could put it in a WiiU.)
I wouldn't say dramatically when you compare them to the drop in price of even the Fastest Largest SD Cards.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: May 09, 2012, 06:50:31 PM »
I think we might have to put the odds of Nintendo using USB 3.0 pretty low. They're known for their. . .frugality.

Even if they don't at first, they could always add it into a later revision (if they do a revision).

But is it really that costly to toss in a USB 3.0 port or two? I'm sure its a bit more than a USB 2.0 port, but could it really be THAT much more?
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: May 09, 2012, 10:34:32 PM »
I can't speak on GTAV, but CoD will be on all available systems this fall/winter.
from iPhone to 3DS/Vita to Wii to PS360 to Wii U & PC

GTAV was part of the original rumors coming from 01.net, so I'm sure we will see it come to light at E3 as just about everything else they were talking about came true.
I know you're pretty reliable, but do you know CoD 3DS and Wii U for sure, or are you just speculating based on their prior platform choices?

In other words, has a source clued you in on this?

CoD this year is done by Treyarch. They are the BIG supports of Nintendo systems.
And Activision has basically all but confirmed it's coming to Wii U already after the latest reveal.

But to answer your question, it's all speculation, but do you really think they would put the game out near launch of the Wii U and not put the game on the Wii U?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:36:59 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: May 10, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
Even if they don't at first, they could always add it into a later revision (if they do a revision).
I certainly hope not mainly because I plan to be an early adopter.
But is it really that costly to toss in a USB 3.0 port or two? I'm sure its a bit more than a USB 2.0 port, but could it really be THAT much more?
The components aren't but Nintendo has to do more than just tossing a couple ports in Wii U. My understanding is Nintendo can either write drivers for the operating system or have the IBM integrate USB 3.0 directly into the chipset. The former is probably the cheaper route. It comes down to whether Nintendo decided USB 2.0 was adequate or had the foresight to decide that USB 2.0 won't be in a year or 2.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: May 10, 2012, 01:46:42 PM »
I wouldn't say dramatically when you compare them to the drop in price of even the Fastest Largest SD Cards.
You do realize that SD cards tap out around 30MB/s read and 10MB/s write speeds whereas SSDs are now hitting 500+MB/s read and write speeds right?  There is no comparison between the two.  SSDs are clearly superior by a huge margin and the reason why there is a price difference.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: May 10, 2012, 01:55:57 PM »
You do realize that SD cards tap out around 30MB/s read and 10MB/s write speeds whereas SSDs are now hitting 500+MB/s read and write speeds right?  There is no comparison between the two.  SSDs are clearly superior by a huge margin and the reason why there is a price difference.
Tech wise there not to dissimilar.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: May 10, 2012, 02:23:09 PM »
Tech wise there not to dissimilar.
Just because something is flash based storage does not make it similar.  That means the ipod is similar since it has flash based storage.  You can run apps from an SD card and store music an movies.  It's obviously similar.

Do you run your Windows/Mac/Linux based PC off of an SD card?  If so, then I will think about agreeing with you.