Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3162254 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #3575 on: April 19, 2011, 01:05:10 AM »
More Rumor Teasing, and this time from NintendoLife

Quote from: via tweets
All we can say so far is: don’t believe everything you read online. Other than from us, of course. May hear solid details next week…

(details are) significant enough that we can’t reveal what they are.

(console will be) a combination of everything you would expect from Nintendo and yet surprising at the same time.

Nintendo has sold more handheld consoles than anyone. Why have a controller with a screen in? Why not use DS?

Nintendo is a Japanese company. Why would a secret project have a French name?

source

I also think they are doing a bad job of baiting for hits. But I guess we'll find out some time around the 25th or so.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:14:57 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: April 19, 2011, 02:19:26 AM »
01net: Wii2 to launch in June 2012 & R* not only has Wii2 SDK's, but will deliver a game during the launch window.
http://www.01net.com/editorial/531787/lediteur-de-gta-iv-travaille-sur-la-prochaine-console-de-nintendo/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:08:47 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: April 19, 2011, 12:02:18 PM »
I bet Kytim started that rumor.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: April 19, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »
01net is the same site that broke NGP way ahead of Sony. They also "speculated"(?) that GTA V is likely the title that R* is delivering in the Launch Window

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: April 19, 2011, 12:35:09 PM »
That would be great. No GTA title has ever appeared on a Nintendo console, so that would be an important milestone, especially to have it as a launch title no less.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: April 19, 2011, 01:07:05 PM »
01net is the same site that broke NGP way ahead of Sony. They also "speculated"(?) that GTA V is likely the title that R* is delivering in the Launch Window
Thats sounds to me a Quick way to lose your press rights with a company.

That would be great. No GTA title has ever appeared on a Nintendo console, so that would be an important milestone, especially to have it as a launch title no less.

Could we get Wolfenstein too while we're at it.  Seriously enough GTA doesn't have the draw it use too.  I be more excited by say the Crisis seiries coming as an enhance compilation or Portal as an enhance compilation. (With graphics like they were maxed on a PC)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: April 19, 2011, 02:20:58 PM »
Getting Rockstar on board, right of the bat, with GTA no less, would set the tone for third party support.  GTA V would not be an exclusive.  I'm certain there would be PS3 and Xbox 360 versions as well.  But the important thing is to be included in multiplatform support.  That is where things are right now.  Third party exclusives have become rare.

A big reason why the Wii has such crap third party support is that by being so different it went against what third parties wanted to do this generation.  They wanted to make multiplatform games so that each game can be sold to all the userbases.  Nintendo probably figured that with their unique controller they would have something the competition didn't and it would attract exclusives.  It didn't work because no one wants to make exclusives anymore.  So we got b-team shovelware content as they scrambled to release something on the Wii.  The third parties did not have a business model that allowed for an incompatible oddball console, no matter how well it sold.

You need a familiar base design that allows for anyone to bring their game to your system.  Then you can have some extra features to get the odd exclusive or extra content.  But that familiar base has to be there.  The unique features have to be an advantage, not a tradeoff.  Last gen Nintendo said "we've got this new motion control" but they made it motion control vs. a hardware boost and in terms of third party support they lost.  They made the mistake of making it a choice.  The Wii 2 should make it so that there is no choice; everything can be done on it and everyone with a brain will bring their games to it.  And then the first party titles, which Nintendo is better at than anyone, makes the difference.

For all the talk about not competing the uniqueness of the Wii made it us vs. them.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: April 19, 2011, 02:26:22 PM »
Getting Rockstar on board, right of the bat, with GTA no less, would set the tone for third party support.  GTA V would not be an exclusive.  I'm certain there would be PS3 and Xbox 360 versions as well.  But the important thing is to be included in multiplatform support.  That is where things are right now.  Third party exclusives have become rare.

A big reason why the Wii has such crap third party support is that by being so different it went against what third parties wanted to do this generation.  They wanted to make multiplatform games so that each game can be sold to all the userbases.  Nintendo probably figured that with their unique controller they would have something the competition didn't and it would attract exclusives.  It didn't work because no one wants to make exclusives anymore.  So we got b-team shovelware content as they scrambled to release something on the Wii.  The third parties did not have a business model that allowed for an incompatible oddball console, no matter how well it sold.

You need a familiar base design that allows for anyone to bring their game to your system.  Then you can have some extra features to get the odd exclusive or extra content.  But that familiar base has to be there.  The unique features have to be an advantage, not a tradeoff.  Last gen Nintendo said "we've got this new motion control" but they made it motion control vs. a hardware boost and in terms of third party support they lost.  They made the mistake of making it a choice.  The Wii 2 should make it so that there is no choice; everything can be done on it and everyone with a brain will bring their games to it.  And then the first party titles, which Nintendo is better at than anyone, makes the difference.

For all the talk about not competing the uniqueness of the Wii made it us vs. them.

As long as its the Best version who cares if its exclusive or not.  Especially on a Nintendo console since you know the Grade Triple A Nintendo releases are.  Would not be surprised to start seeing only the first party developed titles being platform exclusive anymore.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: April 19, 2011, 02:39:30 PM »
GTA V on the Wii Next (that's what I'm going to call it until I hear otherwise, because I like it better than Wii 2) obviously won't be an exclusive, but it would be nice if it did have exclusive content. I think considering how we got screwed by Rockstar for the last 10+ years we deserve something to make up for it.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: April 19, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »
Personally prefer Super Wii.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #3585 on: April 19, 2011, 03:25:13 PM »
If the console can support the latest and greatest version of the Unreal Engine, then it'll be cake.

I also want to see a unified account policy. None of that crap of limiting your content to one console, and then begging to have the content moved to a new system if your current one dies or you decided to get a different color.

They should plan for a 10 year cycle with this console. Do the specs accordingly. Maybe it'll be pricey off the bat, but it won't be long before that price drops and they'll be at a lower price tier once MS and Sony release new systems.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: April 19, 2011, 03:35:57 PM »
Would not be surprised to start seeing only the first party developed titles being platform exclusive anymore.

That is the exact situation Nintendo needs to and wants to create.
Why? Because then they automatically win.

Assuming all things about the 3 consoles are similar enough (graphics, online, storage, UI, controls) If you can get all the 3rd party gems on all the systems and they all look & run roughly the same, then your only console purchasing decisions come down to which 1st party games you want to play and which unique control style you prefer.

Nintendo has:
Mario & Zelda (the list could go on, but why bother)

Sony has:
Killzone? Uncharted? Rachet & Clank? LBP? Jax & Daxter? ?

MS has:
Halo and ummm..... Rare?

What incentive would most people who call themselves gamers have for not buying atleast the Wii2 and maybe one of the others if they really need their Halo or Uncharted fix?

If the console can support the latest and greatest version of the Unreal Engine, then it'll be cake.

I also want to see a unified account policy. None of that crap of limiting your content to one console, and then begging to have the content moved to a new system if your current one dies or you decided to get a different color.

They should plan for a 10 year cycle with this console. Do the specs accordingly. Maybe it'll be pricey off the bat, but it won't be long before that price drops and they'll be at a lower price tier once MS and Sony release new systems.

UE 3.9 or whatever it is. yes, definitely make sure the hardware is powerful enough to support the new UE. No more excuses from anybody.

User Accounts - please do this. I'm actually hoping they start it with the 3DS with the big system update. User accounts attached to your My Nintendo account. Also 3rd party games registerable too. That would show some good faith towards 3rd parties too.

10 year life cycle!? hell no.
Keep planning for the 5 year cycle and make your money now. The Wii will continue to sell for the next 2-3 years to the late adopters while the rest of us enjoy our WiiTuu. Mean while Sony & MS can go broke chasing the Technological Dragon and only starting to recoup cost right when Nintendo is dropping another profit driven console that out classes their current offerings. 10 year cycle is BS and Sony's & MS profit line proves it. Sony will never recoup the cost of PS3 unless it's the only system they sell till 2020. They've lost all profit from PS2 gen + some and the only reason they didn't lose more was because the PS2 was still selling well for the first 2 years.
10 year cycle is a bust and was truly just PR spin for poor planning of a trojan horse product.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: April 19, 2011, 03:40:12 PM »
That is the exact situation Nintendo needs to and wants to create.
Why? Because then they automatically win.

I'm not so sure about that. Nintendo's 1st party efforts win in terms of quality, but Sony has actually produced more 1st party stuff this generation in terms of quantity. Of course, Nintendo can (and should) address this by hiring more developers and creating or acquiring more studios, but as of the moment Sony is beating them in 1st party quantity.

Nintendo is beating Microsoft in 1st party quantity, at least, but Microsoft is still a relative newbie at this and judging by how they acquired Bungie and Rare it shows they are gaining ground in this respect. Nintendo seems to be losing studios rather than gaining them. They sold Rare of course, and just recently they pulled the plug on Factor 5.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:44:48 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: April 19, 2011, 04:03:01 PM »
Do you want Nintendo quality titles that are sure to be mimic'd in some way or another but never recreated

or do you want the Sony sequelitis that is struggling to find something that they can consider a franchise for the ages?

Besides that statement isn't 100% true.

Nintendo = 78 titles
25 of which didn't reach all regions (Xeno & TLS included), 5 more that were only published by Nintendo in certain regions & 8 haven't been released yet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_published_by_Nintendo

Sony = 70 titles
4 of which are co-published & 9 haven't been released yet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_published_by_Sony_Computer_Entertainment

MS = 40 titles
A bunch of which I'm sure MS doesn't actually own (Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2, Gears of War 1, 2, & 3, Too Human, Alan Wake, N3, ect ect)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Game_Studios
MS actually published way more games at this point for the 1st Xbox, they finished up with 60 titles.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 04:13:03 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: April 19, 2011, 04:08:30 PM »
Honestly don't see why Microsoft doesnt flex there past PC game might.  They had some good games before XBox.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: April 19, 2011, 04:54:53 PM »

This isn't cake, it's water in that it is absolutely essential.  This isn't about the Unreal Engine, it's about industry standards.  Because it is a popular engine Unreal is more or less an industry standard that needs to be included.  To not do so would be like using a special Nintendo network instead of the internet.  Supporting industry standards, whether they be de facto or de jure, is a requirement in software development.  Videogames are software.  It needs to support the tools that the developers use and that means an engine that is widely used has to be supported.  Nintendo could have the most insanely powerful system ever but if was all weird and unfamiliar to third parties they would ignore it.  One thing that really hurt the Saturn was it used rectangular polygons instead of triangular, which is the standard.  A simple oversight like that can drive support away.

I'm not so sure about that. Nintendo's 1st party efforts win in terms of quality, but Sony has actually produced more 1st party stuff this generation in terms of quantity. Of course, Nintendo can (and should) address this by hiring more developers and creating or acquiring more studios, but as of the moment Sony is beating them in 1st party quantity.

I think Nintendo is coasting a bit with their first party releases but the talent is there.  They crank out the same franchises by choice, not because they lack creativity.  So if it became a first party contest I believe Nintendo could easily step up to the plate if need be.

As the uniqueness of the consoles is blurred I can see a de facto console standard coming into play with either Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft involved in some sort of consortium.  Nintendo would be the last to go in however.  They already all use PowerPC CPUs.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: April 19, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »
Sort of Curious why they use PPC.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: April 19, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »
It is odd how they all moved to the PPC architecture at about the same time when Apple moved away from it.
is your sanity...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3593 on: April 19, 2011, 06:44:25 PM »
Sort of Curious why they use PPC.
They were probably following a similar design path to Apple. The NES had a 6502 derivative, and the SNES had a followup chip, a derivative of the 65816. The Apple II used a 6502, and the Apple IIgs used a 65816. These designs were originally by Motorola, who was transitioning to RISC, but failed. The Nintendo 64 used a RISC-type MIPS chip, just as Macs used PowerPC RISC architecture. The GameCube used a PowerPC chip, and the Wii uses a similar chip.
It is odd how they all moved to the PPC architecture at about the same time when Apple moved away from it.
Apple didn't move to x86 until 2006.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: April 19, 2011, 07:25:23 PM »
But 2006 was when this generation really got started. Didn't the PS2 and old Xbox use something different than PPC?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:27:57 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: April 19, 2011, 07:42:10 PM »
Since this was the Nintendo thread, I didn't realize you meant the other companies.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: April 19, 2011, 08:48:18 PM »
Since this was the Nintendo thread, I didn't realize you meant the other companies.

Why not? Ian and Ceric were commenting on how they all use PPC.
is your sanity...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: April 19, 2011, 10:28:25 PM »
Staff trollz are the most delicious. I haven't had such a tasty morsel since Deguelo was deported.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: April 19, 2011, 10:50:49 PM »
I bet Kytim started that rumor.

I guess all that praying has come in handy. I am looking doubly forward to having GTA on the Wii 2. If this comes to pass then I will be the first in line to get the console.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.