Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3129796 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #5275 on: January 22, 2012, 07:17:01 PM »
Aside from some sort of achievement system, what do PSN and XBox Live offer that Nintendio's current online service does not?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5276 on: January 22, 2012, 07:30:50 PM »
Exposure to racist/homophobic prepubescents?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: January 22, 2012, 07:42:21 PM »
Aside from some sort of achievement system, what do PSN and XBox Live offer that Nintendio's current online service does not?
Nintendo corrected or improved many issues with their online service on 3DS. Friend Codes are significantly less annoying now since there's only one and the friend list lets you know who is online and what they're playing. However, I believe Nintendo still doesn't allow exchanging Friend Codes or chatting with random opponents. So, say you're playing Smash Bros. with a really skilled random person, you'll never know who that is once the match is over. If you're big on the social networking aspect of online gaming, Nintendo's online service is extremely limited in that respect. Also, not every game features voice chat, let alone cross game voice chat like 360. PS3 can't cross game voice chat but Vita apparently can.

I'm sure there are more. Nintendo has made major strides and I expect this trend to continue. They should have known better to begin with but I'm willing to give them a modicum of credit for recognizing that their online platform sucked immensely and taking steps on making it better. Baby steps, but steps nonetheless.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: January 22, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »
I actually like that the 3DS uses a friend code for the system account, because it allows two or more people to use the same name. I'm pretty sure that two XBox Live accounts cannot have the same name, though I don't know how PSN works.

There are some Wii games that let you exchange codes with strangers, and even chat with them. Call of Duty: Black Ops, for example, allows you to add the random people you come across, and everyone on your team can hear you if you're using a headset, whether or not they are on your friend list. Monster Hunter Tri also allows you to add randoms and text chat with anyone, though Wii Speak works only with people on your friend list who also have a Wii Speak. It may not be a system feature and Nintendo may not use it in their games, but there is nothing stopping third-parties from allowing these features. It would be nice if Nintendo did make them standard features of the Wii U though, so developers wouldn't have to implement them on a game-by-game basis.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: January 22, 2012, 08:03:07 PM »
I actually like that the 3DS uses a friend code for the system account, because it allows two or more people to use the same name. I'm pretty sure that two XBox Live accounts cannot have the same name, though I don't know how PSN works.

With Steam you have an account name and a separate display name that you can change at will and, I'd assume, have multiple people with the same one.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5280 on: January 22, 2012, 08:03:32 PM »
I dunno if this has come up yet, but with one friendcode per system, can you transfer your info (Miis, playtimes, downloads) to another system? I know on XboxLive you can log in on another Xbox, but this is something I'd like to see on WiiU. Multiple logins on a handheld would be kinda weird, but on a home console, it'd come in handy.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: January 22, 2012, 09:21:40 PM »
It may not be a system feature and Nintendo may not use it in their games, but there is nothing stopping third-parties from allowing these features. It would be nice if Nintendo did make them standard features of the Wii U though, so developers wouldn't have to implement them on a game-by-game basis.
Yeah, I didn't list anything that wasn't a standard. I think not standardizing these things is the issue. If given the choice, most 3rd parties will not put these options in their games. I think it's a shared problem. Not sure about 3DS, but the Wii was not made with these things in mind. Sure, it's possible with some resource finagling, but having to go the extra mile to include these features is something that Microsoft and Sony are not asking 3rd parties. Something has to give and Nintendo is probably going to have to be the one to fold. 3rd parties have made it clear that they can easily just not support Nintendo's home consoles. They clearly have more leverage so Nintendo is pretty much being put in a position to provide these tools to 3rd parties or get next nothing at all.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 09:34:41 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: January 23, 2012, 02:57:37 AM »
Rocksteady Studio's (Batman AA & AC) next game is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!?
http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2012/01/22/rumor-is-rocksteady-studios-next-game-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-manhattan-crisis/
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Manhattan Crisis is the alleged name of the title.
- Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael, and Michelangelo are the four playable characters, each with their own varied move set and weapon of choice (sword, bo staff, sai, and nunchucku…respectively).
- Flashbacks are played as Master Splinter/Hamato Yoshi.
- Shurikens, smoke bombs, grappling hooks, and climbing foot spikes.
- Gameplay and story/stage progression similar to Batman: Arkham City.
- Classic characters such as Bebop and Rocksteady (warthog and rhinoceros), Dr. Baxter Stockman, Shredder (Oroku Saki), and Krang act as bosses and in the case of the humans-turned-mutants, you fight them in both forms throughout the story.
- The Turtle Van and Turtle Blimp will be present and with them and other gadgets, the Wii U build is expected to have touch screen controls for specific actions.
- Multiplayer is unknown.
- Graphics engine used is that of Arkham City.
- The game is expected to be more dark than slapstick, but the turtles themselves and their interactions with the Foot Clan, bosses, and story characters like April O’Neil and Casey Jones will still have comedy attached.
- Purportedly being in development for Wii U, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.
- Careful selection of voice actors to bring the universe to life as well as Rocksteady did with their two Batman games.
- Manhattan Crisis shares a similar name to the 1991/1992 NES title, “The Manhattan Project”, but is very much its own title.

Paul Gale is very self conscience about posting rumors that might not turn out to be true.... but it's a rumor. Not so sure why he is all that worried about it if he stated that it's just a rumor (but he sort of obsesses over it).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: January 23, 2012, 03:07:39 AM »
another rumor that has been floating around for about a week now just got a little juicier.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1614288&postcount=406
Final devkits are out, and rumor has it they differ quite a bit from earlier kits. Supposedly more powerful than anticipated, too.

Makes me want to believe that IBM got the CPU down to 28/32nm and that AMD got the GPU down to the same size.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: January 23, 2012, 08:12:31 AM »
- Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael, and Michelangelo are the four playable characters, each with their own varied move set and weapon of choice (sword, bo staff, sai, and nunchucku…respectively)
No Venus De Milo?! This is bullshit.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #5285 on: January 23, 2012, 10:17:55 AM »

No Venus De Milo?! This is bullshit.

That doesn't even make any sense...

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #5286 on: January 23, 2012, 10:21:48 AM »
another rumor that has been floating around for about a week now just got a little juicier.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1614288&postcount=406
Final devkits are out, and rumor has it they differ quite a bit from earlier kits. Supposedly more powerful than anticipated, too.

Makes me want to believe that IBM got the CPU down to 28/32nm and that AMD got the GPU down to the same size.

Oh me, oh my. I sure hope it's true. Also...

Rocksteady Studios. Turtles. Please, oh, please be real. Imagining this game in my head now is making me feel kinky.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: January 23, 2012, 11:24:11 AM »
Oh I hope this game turns out to be true! Love me some turtles!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: January 23, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
That doesn't even make any sense...
I'm curious if you're unfamiliar with Venus De Milo, the female turtle from the late 90's live action show or if you think I actually want her in the game. No one liked Venus De Milo. No one. Peter Laird, one of the co-creators of TMNT, won't even joke about her existence.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #5289 on: January 23, 2012, 01:11:08 PM »
LOL, yeah, I am not familiar with her existence. I did not even realize there was a live action show. Glad I missed it.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: January 23, 2012, 01:19:15 PM »
I mentioned beofre that Rocksteady would be a good choice to develope a TMNT. I played a little of Arkham City and loved it, so a new TMNT game would be very welcome. The last few TMNT have been pretty abysmal, and the Arkham games have been a love letter to Batman fans, so I assume that this new TMNT game will be a love letter to TMNT fans as well.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: January 23, 2012, 02:32:24 PM »
Rocksteady is the name of a studio that is developing TMNT? Am I the only one who sees why this is funny? Rocksteady and Be Bop were the name of the mutant Rhino and Boar from the animated series. Does the studio take its name after this character? Or is it just a coincidence? If it is a coincidence then it is weird that they are working on a TMNT game.
is your sanity...

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: January 23, 2012, 10:11:47 PM »
That's the first thing I thought about was 'BeBop and Rocksteady' from the animated television show.  Wouldn't it be cool if they did get their name from Rocksteady. Funny ****.
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: January 23, 2012, 10:51:54 PM »
I wonder how long this TMNT game has been in development?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: January 23, 2012, 11:49:17 PM »
I wonder how long this TMNT game has been in development?

Development probably began soon after Batman Arkham City was completed, if not immediately after it was completed.
is your sanity...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Aint no rumor! Retro doing Star Fox!
« Reply #5295 on: January 24, 2012, 01:41:06 AM »
http://mynintendonews.com/2012/01/23/retro-studios-working-on-star-fox-for-wii-u/

From the Official Nintendo Magazine.

While some suggest this new project is likely to be a return to the Metroid franchise, we’d love to see another Nintendo hero get the retro stamp of excellence. After all, having rolled out the barrels for Donkey Kong, perhaps it’s time Retro pulled off a barrel roll of a different kind.

Come on! Who's not excited?! Ian... Broodwars?

Still a rumor...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:45:43 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Aint no rumor! Retro doing Star Fox!
« Reply #5296 on: January 24, 2012, 01:46:08 AM »
It's definitely fuel to the Retro/Star Fox rumor mill. Though, Nintendo Power is no longer run by Nintendo. Again, cautious optimism.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:03:05 AM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Aint no rumor! Retro doing Star Fox!
« Reply #5297 on: January 24, 2012, 02:01:37 AM »
Come on! Who's not excited?! Ian... Broodwars?

I'm indifferent until I see video of the game in action, assuming it actually exists.  I was very cautious about the idea of Retro doing a new Donkey Kong Country game a few years back, and that turned out well.  I hope the same is true here and that Retro hasn't reached beyond their capabilities.  I'd still very much rather that Retro made their own game rather than keep reviving franchises Nintendo can't seem to make themselves.  I played enough old franchises on the Wii.  Let's see something new.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: January 24, 2012, 02:03:02 AM »
I guess now is a good time to post this Retro job posting
http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/viewjobrss.asp?cjid=28879&accountno=288

no info from it, but I meant to post it sometime last week but didn't really have a reason or rumor to attach it to.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: January 24, 2012, 03:39:46 PM »
well, Retro would probably make the best version of Star Fox yet
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post