Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3129854 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #3600 on: April 19, 2011, 10:51:39 PM »
What a perfect logo, eh?

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: April 20, 2011, 12:00:26 AM »
Ian
tl;dr

Well that sums that up.
:grabs hat and leaves thread.... locks the doors on the way out:

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
More Rumors! Wii2, 3DS, E3, Oh Yes!!
« Reply #3602 on: April 20, 2011, 12:47:16 AM »
sorry, had to re-open this thread. More Rumor "Nuggets" to share
http://gameolosophy.com/consoles/wii/more-project-cafe-rumors/#ixzz1K2FbE7F8
Wii2 rumors, 3DS rumors and E3 rumors all wrapped up in a nice and easy to swallow box of nuggets.
Rumor Nuggets
-Square Enix, Capcom, Sega, Konami, Activision, Rockstar/Take Two, Electronic Arts, Namco and Ubisoft all have development kits.

-They each have at least one game in development for the Wii 2.

-Expect games to be coming to this system that you would never expect on a Nintendo console.

-Nintendo is kissing third party ****s with this console.

-The new Nintendo controller sounds more ridiculous on paper.  When you actually see the thing, it makes a lot more sense from a
design standard.

-Expect Nintendo to roll out the red carpet for third parties so their games don’t get overshadowed.  Nintendo has been preaching to third parties that third parties won’t get screwed this time around, so if you’re expecting a ton of amazing first party games at launch…well…think again.  Nintendo wants a launch that creates confidence in third parties again so expect very few first party games at launch similar to the 3DS.

-Star Fox is coming.  I can’t say when.  Very good chance that it WONT be at E3.  I am hearing Star Fox is coming for the new Nintendo system, but it is very early in development.

-Nintendo solved every storage issue a third party could possibly have with the new console.  I don’t know if it’s a harddrive or a different, cheaper way to store data.

-Nintendo revamping their WiiWare and virtual console services.  I don’t think it will be called WiiWare anymore.

-Almost positive that we’ll be seeing Pikmin in some shape or form.

-A first person shooter that people love will be ported to the 3DS.  I can’t say what game, but it’s popular among FPS gamers.

-Expect a crapload of 3DS love at this E3.  The show will be wayyy more 3DS than Wii 2 (Project Cafe).  3DS stuff will be at least 60 percent of the E3 pre-show.

-Don’t listen to anyone who says new Nintendo console will launch by end of 2011.  They are idiots.  This holiday season is all about the 3DS and Nintendo’s E3 show will focus on that.

-Don’t expect many games to be shown at E3 for new Nintendo console, but expect all of the key features to be revealed.

-Nintendo is thinking about launching Zelda: Skyward Sword around the same time as Wii 2 since Wii 2 is backwards compatible with Wii 1 games.  They want to follow the same strategy when they launched Pokemon Black/White when 3DS was coming out.

-I am 90 percent sure you will not see a Zelda: Skyward Sword port to the Wii 2.  It will remain a Wii 1 game.
Nintendo approached Hideo Kojima about the new Nintendo console.  Nintendo and Hideo Kojima have a good relationship with each other.

-A Resident Evil game is in development for the new Nintendo system.  I don’t know if Capcom is developing an RE spinoff or something part of the “main” Resident Evil series.

-Retrostudios started working on a Wii 2 game.   It is NOT Metroid.  Retro is done with Metroid.

Last one meshes up with Retro hiring more staff.
I'll comment on the rest later.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3603 on: April 20, 2011, 01:29:51 AM »
We had better see some fucking Pikmin. Having the Pikmin AR card was a bit of a cock tease. It was like a little reminder that they know what I want, but they don't wanna give it to me.

Anyway, this seems like a reasonable batch of rumors. Lacking in major specifics, but detailed enough to keep people talking. The only problem is that it seems like Nintendo really has very little to release for the end of the Wii's life cycle.

3rd relations improving is always good news.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: April 20, 2011, 01:38:28 AM »
-Star Fox is coming.  I can’t say when.  Very good chance that it WONT be at E3.  I am hearing Star Fox is coming for the new Nintendo system, but it is very early in development.

This one may be connected with the Retro rumors.

-Nintendo is thinking about launching Zelda: Skyward Sword around the same time as Wii 2 since Wii 2 is backwards compatible with Wii 1 games.  They want to follow the same strategy when they launched Pokemon Black/White when 3DS was coming out.

-I am 90 percent sure you will not see a Zelda: Skyward Sword port to the Wii 2.  It will remain a Wii 1 game.

And the Wii was backwards compatible with the GC, but that didn't stop Nintendo from making two versions of Twilight Princess.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:42:42 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
More Retro Studio Rumors
« Reply #3605 on: April 20, 2011, 01:51:55 AM »
There is more to the Retro Rumor

let me summarize it for you and then I'll source it

- Retro Studios working on game for Wii 2
- They were among the first to have Dev Kits & have been working on the a Wii 2 game ever since
- They are working on “a project everyone wants us to do”
- information comes from two sources within Retro

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/04/18/retro-studios-working-on-a-project-everyone-wants-us-to-do-on-wii-2/

who is Paul Gale you ask and why would he know anything at all?
http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/about-paul/
long story short, he has worked in the industry for many years (magazine, websites & TV shows) and regularly attends E3 since the year 2000

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: April 20, 2011, 02:59:38 AM »
Some more info to mull over why we wait for confirmation on anything and everything.

http://kyoto-report.blogspot.com/2011/04/ninja-courier_19.html
It looks like Nintendo Technology Development, the Seattle based hardware group under Howard Cheng, has been quite busy researching and developing several of the technologies being used in Project Cafe. One of the more interesting features is their work on tracking systems and head-mounted stereoscopic displays along with CPU and GPU research and evaluation.

For those wondering what direction the system might take from a purely geometrical calculation standpoint. Some of the new team members at Nintendo Technology Development include one of the head engineers responsible for the PS3's Cell CPU and RSX GPU.

While the news is not indicative of the ultimate fire power the system may carry, it certainly is promising.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: April 20, 2011, 03:03:16 AM »
Sega didn't get a dev kit?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: April 20, 2011, 03:07:51 AM »

Would they have used it anyway? They won't even put a certain 2D Sonic game on the Wii for crying out loud.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: April 20, 2011, 03:21:40 AM »

read the first line of the "Rumor Nuggets"
Square Enix, Capcom, Sega, Konami, Activision, Rockstar/Take Two, Electronic Arts, Namco and Ubisoft all have development kits.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: April 20, 2011, 03:36:48 AM »
Sorry, I think my hoping caused me to misread.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: April 20, 2011, 03:43:07 AM »
You know, a 6 inch screen isn't that huge. Two Wii remotes stacked on top of each other gives you a six inch screen space measured diagonally. A PS3 dual shock exceeds those dimensions.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: April 20, 2011, 07:41:09 AM »
You know, a 6 inch screen isn't that huge. Two Wii remotes stacked on top of each other gives you a six inch screen space measured diagonally. A PS3 dual shock exceeds those dimensions.
I just happen to have a 3DS, Dualshock 3, and 2 Wiimotes beside me.  You are right but only because of how the trigger and handles are. Though seriously enough think about how you normally hold the Wiimote and Nunhuck. Thats wider then this controller would be.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:27:30 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3613 on: April 20, 2011, 10:25:58 AM »
I like the idea of that I think Black and Mild talked about.  A screen the length and size of the Wii.

I was thinking about this...they would create a wiimote with 2 trigger buttons on the bottom like the nunchuk.  Then the touchscreen on the face will have a click feature for buttons.  I imagine they could figure out a means of having a few clickable areas.  Then for a D-pad like function the glass could have a very small dip in the class that your fingers could feel.  Now yes this means sometimes part of the screen will be covered up when you are holding it pointer style. 

But it also means when you hold it NES style you can have slew of customizable controller interfaces.  In fact, Nintendo could put a side camera on the remote to promote this method with pointer style controls as well. 

If this is what Nintendo is creating then the downloadable information is not actual games, but just controller interfaces...you would not need a high resolution screen for this, nor would you need a lot of memory or processing power in the controller, which would help keep the controller price down.  I am expecting coontrollers to be priced at the typical $40.00 for the main controller price.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: April 20, 2011, 10:39:38 AM »
I like the idea of that I think Black and Mild talked about.  A screen the length and size of the Wii.

I was thinking about this...they would create a wiimote with 2 trigger buttons on the bottom like the nunchuk.  Then the touchscreen on the face will have a click feature for buttons.  I imagine they could figure out a means of having a few clickable areas.  Then for a D-pad like function the glass could have a very small dip in the class that your fingers could feel.  Now yes this means sometimes part of the screen will be covered up when you are holding it pointer style. 

But it also means when you hold it NES style you can have slew of customizable controller interfaces.  In fact, Nintendo could put a side camera on the remote to promote this method with pointer style controls as well. 

If this is what Nintendo is creating then the downloadable information is not actual games, but just controller interfaces...you would not need a high resolution screen for this, nor would you need a lot of memory or processing power in the controller, which would help keep the controller price down.  I am expecting coontrollers to be priced at the typical $40.00 for the main controller price.

Thats pretty much a skinnier longer version of the 3DS bottom which, as found out this morning, is ~2 Wiimotes wide and ~inch off of being 1 Wiimote long.  Conceptually going rectangular has an argument.  Ergonomically I don't  see it.  Keeping the same width as a Wiimote be like using a foot long hot dog as your waggler.  Thats one of the reason I think we'll see a design that has more in common with the Wavebird than the Wiimote.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:24:58 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3615 on: April 20, 2011, 12:23:40 PM »
I'm beginning to get the impression that I will need to hang onto my Wii remotes to play waggle games at all.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: April 20, 2011, 12:38:10 PM »
-Expect Nintendo to roll out the red carpet for third parties so their games don’t get overshadowed.  Nintendo has been preaching to third parties that third parties won’t get screwed this time around, so if you’re expecting a ton of amazing first party games at launch…well…think again.  Nintendo wants a launch that creates confidence in third parties again so expect very few first party games at launch similar to the 3DS.

Eh, I'd rather they not go this route.  All it will accomplish is to give the Super Wii a lousy launch lineup.  Third parties won't pull their weight.  Nintendo needs to set the tone with their own killer app.  They've tried this "let the third parties have a shot" thing a couple times now and it always results in a crap launch.

But all this constant third party stuff is very encouraging.  Maybe being the market leader but somehow STILL having the worst third party support opened Nintendo's eyes.  We all assumed that selling the most consoles would be enough so I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo figured the same thing.  "We're selling more consoles than anyone but still nobody is making games for us.  Hmmm, what do we have to do differently?"

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: April 20, 2011, 12:44:35 PM »

Eh, I'd rather they not go this route.  All it will accomplish is to give the Super Wii a lousy launch lineup.  Third parties won't pull their weight.  Nintendo needs to set the tone with their own killer app.  They've tried this "let the third parties have a shot" thing a couple times now and it always results in a crap launch.

But all this constant third party stuff is very encouraging.  Maybe being the market leader but somehow STILL having the worst third party support opened Nintendo's eyes.  We all assumed that selling the most consoles would be enough so I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo figured the same thing.  "We're selling more consoles than anyone but still nobody is making games for us.  Hmmm, what do we have to do differently?"
I have to agree here.  Giving Third parties essentially a headstart hasn't been a successful strategy.  Think it be better to launch with a, as in 1, Nintendo System seller and let the third parties be the 2nd game in all other niches.  I know launch  time is when I'll personally be must likely to buy a game out  of my norm and if its excellent watch it and the genre for the rest of the console life.  Sort of like with SSFIV and the 3DS makes me much more open to getting another fighter.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: April 20, 2011, 12:46:11 PM »
I haven't seen it for my self, but supposedly IGN's Fran Mirabella says that devs are telling him that the controller looks like a standard controller with a screen in the middle. (In the latest Nintendo Voice Chat?)

I'm also sure that this next pic is a fake, but this rumor thread don't discriminate.

That screen doesn't look 6", but I like the ideas behind the screen in the controller.

Split screen gaming can take place on individual screens. During Full screen multi, every player can have their own personal stats/items/data screen. And one of the pics says that Virtual Console games can be streamed to individual screens independently of what is being played on the big screen.

It makes it seem like Project Cafe would be a sort of gaming hub for the living room that can use the TV & the screens or just the screens themselves.

------------------------

And on a separate note, I was thinking about the controller having IR ports like the sensor bar. Can IR lights be different colors or do they only come in white light?

I was thinking about this because the rumor is that the Wii2 has better tracking than move, which would imply that there is a camera next to the TV tracking the controller and if there is a camera on the TV, then there could be a sensor bar attached to that too (BNM's sensor bar/wiimote 2.0). So if the controller in your hand is tracking the position of the sensorbar on your TV and the camera on the sensor bar is also tracking the IR of your controller, then you would have near perfect motion detection as it tracks both ways and keeps the pointers pin point accuracy while never losing track of the controller.

In my original idea, the controllers each had different color LED/IR strips so that the IR camera in the sensor bar could track individual controllers without mixing up which was which. So while Wii 2 control may not take the same form I was thinking, it could use the same function and that is why I am asking if it's possible to have different color IR lights.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:50:24 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3619 on: April 20, 2011, 12:55:04 PM »
And on a separate note, I was thinking about the controller having IR ports like the sensor bar. Can IR lights be different colors or do they only come in white light?
IR comes in... IR light. There are different frequencies of IR, just as there are different color LEDs. But it looks like there are only two frequencies commonly available.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: April 20, 2011, 01:15:58 PM »
One thing that's funny about all this screen stuff is that this seems like the sort of idea one would speculate about the Gamecube successor.  Nintendo had that whole GBA connectivity thing so you might think "next time they'll put the screen right on the controller".  But instead we got something totally different.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: April 20, 2011, 01:24:38 PM »

IR comes in... IR light. There are different frequencies of IR, just as there are different color LEDs. But it looks like there are only two frequencies commonly available.

Do you know which frequency the Wii currently uses?

and I asked about colors because I've only seen the sensor bar lights when taking a pic of the bar. they were white.

So i was wondering if they hit other colors in the spectrum or if there was a way using IR lights to differentiate each controller from each other.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: April 20, 2011, 01:24:45 PM »
Nintendo tried "rolling out the red carpet" with 3rd parties on the Wii and withheld their own titles. The result of that is the game drought we now see before us. Nintendo reserved some seats at the table for 3rd parties, but the problem is they never showed up. So those seats were left empty and it ended up being a fairly lame party.

Nintendo shouldn't be jerks and do things that will drive 3rd parties away, but they shouldn't kiss their ass either. They should take a neutral approach where they leave the door open and send the invites but leave it at that.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: April 20, 2011, 01:29:58 PM »
Honestly we could be getting Wii Plan B controller wise.  What Nintendo would have released if Motion needed more baking.  I like to see all that presentation even if it was fake.  I think what be more interesting is talking points for the console mockup.  I don't see any media slots.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: April 20, 2011, 01:33:12 PM »

Do you know which frequency the Wii currently uses?

and I asked about colors because I've only seen the sensor bar lights when taking a pic of the bar. they were white.

So i was wondering if they hit other colors in the spectrum or if there was a way using IR lights to differentiate each controller from each other.
Interesting read. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_light#Communications
I didn't know they had gotten IR to that speed.