Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3161167 times)

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #4400 on: May 31, 2011, 09:17:50 AM »
I don't want Cafe to play Blu-Rays.  I have a Blu-Ray player, and I hardly use it.  Streaming is where it's at.  As long as Cafe has Netflix and other future streaming services, I'll be happy.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: May 31, 2011, 09:31:17 AM »
Yeah, Blu-ray playback doesn't matter to me at all. I own a PS3 but I never once used, or even considered using, it to play Blu-ray movies. Instead of spending $30 on a single Blu-ray movie you can just get Netflix which is even better, and I'm sure the Cafe will support Netflix because even the Wii does. If you have that why do you even need Blu-ray?
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: May 31, 2011, 09:39:59 AM »
Even the 3DS will have Netflix support
http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/games

But that's exactly why if the Café has a bluray based drive, the bluray playback should be unlocked through an app. I might want to unlock it someday, but I have no interest in bluray as a movie format at this time. No need to pay that licensing fee upfront for something I may never use.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: May 31, 2011, 10:32:56 AM »
These specs look great and if they are they case then that 8gb of Storage might just be Nintendo telling people higher ups that at most a game can take 8gb of Harddrive space, which is completely legit size limit though WoW takes over 16gb if memory serves but its WoW, which gets chewed down and gets told to the people doing the work as its only got 8gb of space.   

Their is a statement, I believe it was an Iwata ask but I know it was Iwata, that Nintendo would really like to get to the point where you press a button and everything is ready to go for you to game.  That level of ease of use.  With the Controller rumored to having IR this becomes more of a reality.  I would be ecstatic, but not surprised, to see that the ScreenCube Controller could be a Universal Remote.  Now on to some capabilities.

Stats wise that looks good.  If Nintendo wants my PS3 to stop being the most generally used console then they are going to have to be Video Playback options and if I have to pay more for them then they better be better.  Here is the min List:

1. Blu-Ray Playback
2. DVD Playback
3. Netflix
4. DLNA (Which enables watching Hulu and a few other items vy PlayOn)

That is what my PS3 is currently doing for me and it does it well.  That is the Minimum.  Now beyond that.

1. Regular Hulu Playback
2. DVR for Over The Air, Cable, etc.

Need to be able to output Blu-Ray 3D and stay up to date with the Standard.  The controls themselves would need to be solid and intuitive to a non-gamer and preferably a 3 year old.  Also Optical out support be nice, everything but my Wii uses that for sound (Yes even the external TV Tuner).  That would get it into the PS3 covenant position of General Media Center.

Also locking into 1080i when you say that your TV supports 480i, 480p, and 1080i.  Sometimes the PS3 will jump to 720p for a little bit for no reason and become a useless shadowy green screen.

I don't want to get too hopeful because, well, I feel like we will be disappointed.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:35:00 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: May 31, 2011, 11:04:44 AM »
If your controller already has a 6" touch screen in and maybe an IR port, then you potentially already have the best possible Universal remote (with a customizable touch interface) and one that will certainly work perfectly with your Café. (No IR and you still have a touch screen remote)

Either way, buying a remote or buying an App, the outcome is the same. Nintendo provides the drive, the consumer pays for the license to allow Movie Playback.

And I think the app route would be the better route to take for various reasons.
1. It get the user online to purchase and download the app.
now you have a consumer that is online capable and has already familiarized them selves with the online app/ware store

2. It allows you to keep your Café controller within reach whenever using the TV which would allow for a smooth transition into a game or other social features that the Café touch screen controller will provide.

By needing yet another remote control on the table is more of a hassle than necessary when they provide you with a better one out of the box.

3. The possibility of taking the movie with you into any room like the DirectTV commercials, only here you don't even have to pause it.

Imagine watching a movie with the family and you run out of popcorn and/or soda, need to grab a blanket or maybe need to goto the bathroom. Now you don't even need to pause it and interrupt everyone else's movie watching experience. You can stream to the controller and not miss a second while you are out of the room and still be watching the same movie at the same time as everyone else.

4. Parental Controls (Spectator Mode).
A parent could pick up a spare controller (assuming all 4 aren't being used) and see & hear what is being played on the console regardless of if it's a game, internet browser or a movie.

5. BD Live (Movie information/Commentary/Interactive Games)
After you download the App it could turn the remote/controller into your BD Live Display Panel where it displays information about the movie and optionally director/etc commentary, "interactive" games and all that other stuff they advertise for Bluray (that I'm sure almost no one uses since it has to be done with your BR Remote) since now it won't actually interfere with the actual movie while it's playing.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: May 31, 2011, 11:22:04 AM »
I do love me some Infotrac.  Especially the Dr. Who ones.  Those are excellent.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: May 31, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »
Their is a statement, I believe it was an Iwata ask but I know it was Iwata, that Nintendo would really like to get to the point where you press a button and everything is ready to go for you to game.

This isn't a new concept.  The NES works like this.  Pop the game in, flick the switch and the game is ready to go... in theory.  We'll discount all the blinking lights and blowing on the cartridge.

If Nintendo wants to do this then they have to get rid of their annoying mandatory warning messages.  With the complexity of videogame systems these days, particularly with internet connections and hard drive storage space, you have to have SOME sort of menu.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: May 31, 2011, 12:39:58 PM »
Their is a statement, I believe it was an Iwata ask but I know it was Iwata, that Nintendo would really like to get to the point where you press a button and everything is ready to go for you to game.

This isn't a new concept.  The NES works like this.  Pop the game in, flick the switch and the game is ready to go... in theory.  We'll discount all the blinking lights and blowing on the cartridge.

If Nintendo wants to do this then they have to get rid of their annoying mandatory warning messages.  With the complexity of videogame systems these days, particularly with internet connections and hard drive storage space, you have to have SOME sort of menu.
There is a misinterpretation here.  I'll use the NES for example.

NES (Minimum)
1. NES ON
2. TV ON

What Nintendo wants:
1. NES ON
1a. Turns on TV
1b. Turns on Reciever
1c. Set all inputs to correct position

They want to get you right into the action, well the menu in anything beyond GCN.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #4408 on: May 31, 2011, 01:42:43 PM »
This is possible, though they'd have to create a controller that serves as a universal remote with macro support.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: May 31, 2011, 01:45:41 PM »
As I've already stated, if the controller has a 6" touch screen, you should be able customize the remote to whatever it's function need to be using the touchscreen.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4410 on: May 31, 2011, 01:49:06 PM »
If the controller does indeed cost $70 it would be more than worth it if it is something that you can program to use for anything and everything.
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: May 31, 2011, 01:52:53 PM »
*Generic super hero struggling noise*

Can't...over hype myself...Hype train too unrealistic...Skepticism...need skepticism...
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: May 31, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »
*Generic super hero struggling noise*

Can't...over hype myself...Hype train too unrealistic...Skepticism...need skepticism...
Channel your inner Ian.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: May 31, 2011, 02:08:54 PM »
If the controller does indeed cost $70 it would be more than worth it if it is something that you can program to use for anything and everything.

What if that turns out to be the surprise hidden feature.

The Wiimote was designed to look and work like a remote control...
but the Café Controller will actually replace all the other controllers in your home.

One Controller to Control them ALL!!!

Would that be a considered a MAJOR function? Would that be enough to get alot of people HYPED up over the new controller? Would that get YOU hyped up over the controller? Knowing that it is fully programmable that is.

edit:
And this isn't a new idea. Remember the idea of being able to change the function of your buttons while in the game without having to pause. Some on-the-fly function changing. This is very similar.

Think switching spells/items in an ARPG like Zelda, or switching button functions like The Conduit or programming special moves in Street Fighter.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:13:43 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: May 31, 2011, 02:13:08 PM »

What if that turns out to be the surprise hidden feature.

The Wiimote was designed to look and work like a remote control...
but the Café Controller will actually replace all the other controllers in your home.

One Controller to Control them ALL!!!

Would that be a considered a MAJOR function? Would that be enough to get alot of people HYPED up over the new controller? Would that get YOU hyped up over the controller?

At $70, yeah I say it would be.  Of course it would have to program easy as well.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: May 31, 2011, 02:34:21 PM »
What Nintendo wants:
1. NES ON
1a. Turns on TV
1b. Turns on Reciever

That seems like some pretty complex stuff to have in one function.  Wouldn't you need to do some setup to get your TV and everything to work with the one button design?  And if you are smart enough to do this aren't you smart enough to just, you know, turn your TV on and set it to the right input and everything?  That's kind of a cool feature and all but does Nintendo honestly think this is some major barrier that casuals can't overcome?  If little kids can figure it out any adult that can drive a car, use a phone, or just function in society in the bare minimum way can do it.  And if this TV stuff is too hard for you to figure out then handhelds are already there and they're one button and you're on your way.

It's a convenient feature but that is all Nintendo should ever consider it as.  There is no one out there who would have bought a Wii but didn't because they didn't feel like fussing around with their TV.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: May 31, 2011, 02:48:41 PM »
It's all about simplification and ease of use.

If I can have just my Café controller on the table, then that is a constant reminder to use my Café.
To replace my TV remote, Cable Box remote, DVD remote, Stereo Remote, VCR remote and whatever other remote I may have sitting on my coffee table to only need my Café remote is a pretty big deal towards simplifying everything and getting you to use your Café everyday.

I currently have my Comcast remote that controls the TV, Cable Box & DVD, then a separate remote for my surround sound, but i still need my TV remote & DVD remote near by because the Comcast remote is limited in it's compatibility (does only the basic functions).

Simplicity and Convenience is key here. and that leads to you hopefully playing more games more often.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: May 31, 2011, 02:56:33 PM »
What Nintendo wants:
1. NES ON
1a. Turns on TV
1b. Turns on Reciever

That seems like some pretty complex stuff to have in one function.  Wouldn't you need to do some setup to get your TV and everything to work with the one button design?  And if you are smart enough to do this aren't you smart enough to just, you know, turn your TV on and set it to the right input and everything?  That's kind of a cool feature and all but does Nintendo honestly think this is some major barrier that casuals can't overcome?  If little kids can figure it out any adult that can drive a car, use a phone, or just function in society in the bare minimum way can do it.  And if this TV stuff is too hard for you to figure out then handhelds are already there and they're one button and you're on your way.

It's a convenient feature but that is all Nintendo should ever consider it as.  There is no one out there who would have bought a Wii but didn't because they didn't feel like fussing around with their TV.
I actually know people who are like that.
Yes, their be setup.  Their is also setup with Online.  A good remote that does what I said above costs about $140 and people are willing to buy it and program it.  They do this for their Mom's, Wife's, Kids, Husbands, even themselves because it's just that nice.  Its like getting a cheap couch its cheap and works but its not comfortable.  Trust me once you have something setup like that you wonder why you never had it before and what will you do if you lose it.  If I had more money than I get a remote and program it.  Here's my current from scratch to game.

1. Turn on TV (The remote is always lost by my wife)
2. Turn on Switch Box (The remote is always lost by my wife)
2a. Switch to Wii
3. Turn on Reciever (The remote is always lost by my wife)
3a. Switch to TV (The Wii is the only thing that is not Optical and on the Digital channel)
4. Turn on Wii

All that in 1 click be awesome.  With a little investment I could probably get it to

1. Start Wii Game Button
1a. Turn on TV
1b. Turn on Switch
1b1. Switch to Wii
1c. Turn on Reciever
1c1. Switch to TV
2. Turn on Wii

Which would be 2 remotes 2 clicks.

Note:  Everything on my TV goes through Component that why you don't see the TV having its inputs switched.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:58:43 PM by Ceric »

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: May 31, 2011, 05:12:24 PM »
Ceric, I think you and your wife need a rule in the house for where the remote goes. ;)

So do these people that don't buy a Wii because of the TV connection tomfoolery own a DVD player or have digital cable or at some point in their lives owned a VCR?  That's the same barrier.  To accept one but not the other is unreasonable.

But then I never felt anyone TRULY was confused by normal videogame controllers, they were just being stubborn.  If you can drive a car you can use a twin analog stick controller.  They DECIDED it was confusing and refused to try.  My attitude is usually if you're going to be unreasonable then you don't get to participate.  Sorry, this minor amount of effort is required to play videogames and if you refuse to try, we're not including you.  But I understand how from a business perspective Nintendo figured it was a good idea to cater to these people.

Still if I, who is willing to go through the miniscule amount of effort required to operate a console controller and figure out how to turn my videogame system on, has to pay extra for such a feature, that's kind of bullshit.  Why should I have to subsidize people that I feel are completely unreasonable in their REFUSAL to learn something that would take them literally one minute to figure out if they just put the slightest effort into it?

This is what pissed me off about the Wii.  Here I had been a loyal customer for over ten years and I had to compromise this and that and this and that to accomodate people that didn't give a **** and had never made the slightest effort to even try to give videogames a chance.  If I have to pay for expensive screen controllers this time around, well they better provide something substantial and not just be some meaningless gimmick that appeals to casuals.

This is why videogame systems don't come with dance pads and guitar controllers.  Those have such limited functionality that it makes no sense for them to raise the cost of the base system.  Every thing included on that standard controller should be something you NEED, as in the vast majority of games absolutely require them.  And shoehorning to create artifical need does not count.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: May 31, 2011, 06:21:44 PM »
Mostly its because they have already set up their system and the introduction of something new would be to much of a hassle for the perceived benefit.  Also the Universal uber remote is a proven concept people pay $140+ for.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: May 31, 2011, 06:24:31 PM »
A universal remote would be interesting but I don't think it would affect any sales positively or negatively, at least not until more relevant competition comes out.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: May 31, 2011, 06:46:41 PM »
That seems like some pretty complex stuff to have in one function.  Wouldn't you need to do some setup to get your TV and everything to work with the one button design?

The touch screen on the controller would certainly make it easier to configure it to work with various devices. Heck, Nintendo could probably fill it with all the necessary codes and all you need to do is just enter in the make and model of your TV and so on via the touch screen and thats all that you'd need to do so anyone could do it. It would be much easier than programming a regular remote, because a regular remote doesn't have a touch screen. That's the one thing that makes programming remotes difficult is that there is no display so you can see or know what you are doing. At best remotes have a red LED which may light up or blink to assist you in programming, but that is difficult for many people to grasp.

Nintendo could make it even easier yet by having a tutorial built into the controller itself to guide people through the process. Heck, Mario (voiced by Charles Martinet) could even be the guide of the tutorial. If there's an error Mario could exclaim "Mama Mia!" in his trademark voice, but if the process is completed successfully he could say "WAAA HOO! HERE WE GO!"
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
21 Rumors & A Bet To Back Them Up
« Reply #4422 on: May 31, 2011, 08:33:35 PM »
Emily Rogers, the "journalist" that admitted to sleeping with a Nintendo insider for insider information, and the same "journalist" that brought us

More Rumors! Wii2, 3DS, E3, Oh Yes!!
Rareware to make 3DS games?
Project Cafe E3 Publishers List?
Pikmin 3 & Endless Ocean 3 screenshots?
Wii VC transferable to Café? HD versions getting made?

Has now decided to make a bet with the Internet at large.
She says she posted 18 Rumors (I counted 21)that will either prove to be true or she'll never post an article again... EVER!!!! (and probably stop sleeping with her "Nintendo Insider" too)
Atleast until everything comes true....

http://gameolosophy.com/consoles/lets-make-a-bet/
Nintendo 3DS
*Paper Mario 3DS coming before Christmas (Before end of 2011)

*Animal Crossing 3DS coming before Christmas (Before end of 2011)

*Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance coming before Christmas (Before end of 2011)

*Mario Kart 3DS coming before Christmas (Before end of 2011)

* Metal Gear Solid 3DS coming before Christmas (Before end of 2011)

* Mario Bros 2D platformer is in development for 3DS.  (No release date I know of)

* Metroid 3DS is in development for 3DS.    (No release date I know of)

Nintendo Wii
* Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword will be re-confirmed to come before Christmas (Before end of 2011).

* Kirby for Wii will get release date and proper trailer.  Also coming before Christmas (Before end of 2011)

* Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story coming to the U.S. before end of 2011.

Project Café
* There will be over 20 playable games for the new Nintendo console at the show floor.

*I guarantee Pikmin 3 for the new Nintendo console at E3.  I was the first person to say Pikmin 3 for the new Nintendo console.  I was the first person to say it would be at E3 and I’m sticking with my sources on this one.

*Soul Calibur 5 is a launch game for Project Cafe.  It will be on the show floor.  Will have exclusive content.  Nintendo pushed Namco to make Soul Calibur 5 become Project Cafe’s fighting game for launch the same way that Street Fighter 3DS became the flagship fighting launch title for Nintendo 3DS.

*Ubisoft wants to launch with at least 3 games at Project Cafe’s launch. 

*You will see Nintendo sway more toward Western publishers than Eastern/Asian publishers.  Nintendo feels that Eastern/Japanese publishers have lost their persuasion over the gaming market.  They don’t feel japanese publishers have the appeal to gamers like they did years ago.  They feel companies like Activision, Bioware, 2K Games, Rockstar, Blizzard, Valve, Electronic Arts, are dominating the gaming industry.  Nintendo feels that North America is a more important gaming market than Japan and they will go to the publishers that appeal the most to North America.  Nintendo no longer considers Japan to be as important of a market as they use to believe.

*Nintendo wants to launch the console with a big first person shooter that has a lot of mass appeal.  They realize that is a popular genre in North America.  Expect a few big FPS games at E3. Nintendo is not stupid when it comes to the appeal of first person shooters.  They understand the appeal.  That’s why they persuaded companies to like Ubisoft to make Red Steel or persuaded Activision to make Goldeneye 007 for Wii.

*The team that worked on Smash Bros 64, Smash Bros Melee, and Smash Bros Brawl transferred the assets of the game to another developer to work on it. The original Smash Bros team is not working on this new Smash Bros title.

*Rockstar is working on something for Project Cafe.  It will most likely not be revealed at E3 because Rockstar normally doesn’t reveal stuff at E3.

* No harddrive.  Nintendo chose to go with a cheaper alternative way of storage.  This is a fact.  Sorry if you’re disappointed.  Nintendo would have to make a special deal with a harddrive manufacturer, and they decided not to.

* You will be able to transfer some of your downloadable content (Wiiware/VC games) from Wii 1 to the new Nintendo console.

* Much more improved online system.  Nintendo went to another company to help them with their online gaming services.

Who doesn't love a good bet where you have nothing to lose and only everything to gain.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:56:07 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Metroid Café Screenshot!?
« Reply #4423 on: May 31, 2011, 09:18:56 PM »
New Metroid Café Game Screen Shot or Interesting Fake?
you be the judge. (I say fake, but it still looks good)

http://wii2blog.com/a-metroid-screenshot/

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: May 31, 2011, 09:23:27 PM »
I hope its fake because it looks like another Sakamoto abortion. Look at the Other M styled Samus and that pointer which suggests motion control aiming.
is your sanity...