Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3153534 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #4150 on: May 10, 2011, 11:03:19 PM »
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201105/11043465.html

From what I can make out on Google Translate, it sounds like Squenix has 1up'd Nintendo in the "Worst execution of a 25th anniversary" sweepstakes - DQ 1, 2 and 3 on a disc.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: May 10, 2011, 11:07:46 PM »
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201105/11043465.html

From what I can make out on Google Translate, it sounds like Squenix has 1up'd Nintendo in the "Worst execution of a 25th anniversary" sweepstakes - DQ 1, 2 and 3 on a disc.

Hey, Nintendo demonstrated that people are gullible loyal enough to buy a small collection of ROMs on a disc, so I can't blame Square-Enix for trying to take advantage of it as well.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4152 on: May 10, 2011, 11:10:02 PM »
Found a better translation (read: someone at GAF) who pointed out this was announced in this week's Jump Festa.

And it apparently includes both the Famicom and SFC versions of DQ 1-3, which means we ain't seein' this in NA/EU unless Nintendo shows SE how much pure profit they made off All-Stars. (I'm hoping it'll be a preorder bonus for DQX, but I'm not holding my breath.)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Pikmin 3 & Endless Ocean 3 screenshots?
« Reply #4153 on: May 11, 2011, 12:54:49 AM »
Cafe Games Screenshots?
http://gameolosophy.com/consoles/rumor-screenshots-of-project-cafe-games/

real? fake? doesn't really matter as there are now less than
28 days to go till E3....

edit: The "leaker" of these pics says that she has video of the games in action. No mention of when she would release them though.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:13:13 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: May 11, 2011, 01:09:12 AM »
Looks like Rune Factory Oceans might be getting announced for a N.A. release @ E3
http://scrawlfx.com/2011/05/natsume-to-announce-highly-anticipated-ps3-and-wii-title-at-e3

Natsume will reveal a “a highly-anticipated unannounced title for PS3 and Wii,” the company has said. Revealing their E3 lineup — which consists of Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns, Gabrielle’s Ghostly Groove, and Reel Fishing Paradise — the company teased an E3 unveiling for the unannounced game.[/size][/font]
Like our friends at Siliconera, when we think ‘PlayStation 3 / Wii’ and ‘Natsume,’ the only game that comes to mind is Rune Factory Oceans. Given the publisher’s association with the Harvest Moon series — of which Rune Factoryis a spinoff — and their relationship with Marvelous Entertainment, we’d sayOceans is pretty much a given for the reveal.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4155 on: May 11, 2011, 01:09:50 AM »
28 days later..
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline SnakePlissken

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: May 11, 2011, 01:44:42 AM »
I would not be surprised to still see a Holiday 2011 launch. I know what Iwata has said, that doesn't mean the company can't "change its mind" and announce it at E3. Would be a smart move to throw off Microsoft in particular. Not sure if Foxconn would have enough time to roll out units if they only begin making them in October though, but I have no idea.

Nintendo has also shown, numerous times, that they are willing to launch without a full lineup. E3 can't get here soon enough. I imagine launch will be March 2012 at the latest.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: May 11, 2011, 02:52:54 AM »
If there is an F-Zero launch title for the Super Wii then it must have the production values of these titles: Gran Turismo 5 and Forza Motor Sport 3.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: May 11, 2011, 03:23:00 AM »
I remember that someone was doubting that haptic/tactile touchscreen were anywhere near ready for a consumer product. Here is more tech in the field
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/10/touchscreen-prototype-brings-fake-insects-to-life-with-tactile-s/

It's just some food for thought....

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: May 11, 2011, 10:06:37 AM »
I sure hope that isn't a screenshot of Pikmin 3 or its taken with the world Worse camera or its for 3DS.  That screen doesn't look as good as the screens I've seen for Pikmin 2.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Wii2 = Next Gen's PS2
« Reply #4160 on: May 11, 2011, 10:41:18 AM »
Wii 2 will not be Dreamcast, it’ll be “the PlayStation 2 of next gen”
http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/04/19/wii-2-will-not-be-dreamcast-itll-be-the-playstation-2-of-next-gen/
Quote from: April 19th, 2011
Today I have another update to the puzzle and it comes from a close 3rd party contact. I asked my source about the power of the console, the likelihood of release this year, are the suggestions of the controller having a screen on it true, and more of the like and did get one nice answer and a little explanation.

“Nintendo’s new machine is powerful and though I hate to bash, it won’t be another Dreamcast. This will be the PS2 of its generation.”

So we have it on good authority that this machine will be far enough beyond PS360 to not be completely outclassed by PS4/720, and that is all we can really ask for; A true Next Generation Machine from Nintendo.

This comment was made a few weeks ago, but it was just pointed out to me, so now I bring it to you.... better late than never ;)

Paul Gale is also the source for this rumor:
-Retro working on Wii2 game; and it's "a project everyone wants us to do"[/size][/font]

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: May 11, 2011, 11:19:09 AM »
It can only be a PS2 if the 3rd party support is there. Its good knowing it will be powerful enough, but the developer support is crucial.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: May 11, 2011, 11:24:40 AM »
I'm sure the developer that made the comment was speaking strictly in terms of power, not support.

Wii2 will be to PS4/720 as PS2 was to GC/Xbox
that is what you should be taking from this comment.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: May 11, 2011, 11:43:46 AM »
That was what I took from it. I'm just saying it would also be nice if the new system was like the PS2 in terms of market share and developer support.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: May 11, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »
Only time will tell that.

But if Sony & MS really don't respond till end of 2013 at the earliest, and something tells me that MS may have a system ready to launch at the end of next year, then games and support will probably be just like I predicted with Nintendo being the lead console for 2years and the other systems just getting up-ports until the other 2 system get up there in userbase or pay for timed exclusives.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: May 11, 2011, 12:17:24 PM »
The next generation will probably be dominated by Microsoft and Nintendo. Sony will probably be the last ones to release their console and by then they will be far behind. It also does matter that the Sony and Playstation brand are severely damaged from recent events and thats going to factor into it as well.

Sony will be in 3rd place again, but this time it will be a more distant 3rd. Its hard to say who will be in 1st place, but I'm sure it will be a close fight.
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: May 11, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »
The game life bar and what not on both of those games seem oversized. Maybe they are shots of the on controller touch screen?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: May 11, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »
The game life bar and what not on both of those games seem oversized. Maybe they are shots of the on controller touch screen?

Maybe, I didn't even think of that. Nintendo would want to show off the controller as much as possible, so it's likely that they would do that by showing the games running on the controllers touch screen. But I'm still gonna assume they are fake until proven otherwise.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: May 11, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »

Not to mention on the Endless Ocean one those look lke touchbuttons on the buttom.  I'm with BnM.  These are fake or concept something or another.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: May 11, 2011, 12:39:05 PM »
How come whenever Square Enix releases the old DQ games DQ IV is often left out?  Why not include all the NES games?  Yeah we got a remake recently but the old 8-bit DQIV is one of the most obscure NES games.

I actually would be content with Cafe being a Dreamcast.  I just don't want it to be a, well, Wii.  But being the PS2 would be awesome.

If Pikmin 3 was a launch title I would buy the system at launch.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4170 on: May 11, 2011, 01:22:43 PM »
I actually would be content with Cafe being a Dreamcast.  I just don't want it to be a, well, Wii.  But being the PS2 would be awesome.

So you want the Cafe to be unsupported, overshadowed and prematurely abandoned? :P
Power wise, DC was just a notch below PS2, but I'd rather it be the PS2 of next gen than the system that meant well, but just couldn't do well. 

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: May 11, 2011, 01:36:59 PM »
So you want the Cafe to be unsupported, overshadowed and prematurely abandoned?

The Dreamcast is the awesome system that did everything right and still failed.  The Wii is essentially the exact opposite - an underwhelming disappointment that nonetheless sold like hotcakes.  I would prefer Nintendo to make an awesome system that unfortunately fails then to see them succeed with mainstream pandering junk.

But who says you can't have an awesome system that is also a big financial success?  I would obviously prefer that.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: May 11, 2011, 02:08:16 PM »
But who says you can't have an awesome system that is also a big financial success?  I would obviously prefer that.

That is easier said than done though, especially these days. Power costs money. Development time costs money. Competing costs money.

And it's only getting worse.

As customers, all we want is a system full of support and that will last a long time. But to provide that, businesses pretty much have to stick with the status quo. The Wii proved that third parties are more interested in selling to all systems than to one system, no matter how significant the market share. But to stick to the status quo would mean to commoditize games. So instead of systems built to make games - systems would be built to serve them instead; offering different advantages and features, but pretty much the same experience. As customers, this would be the best thing that could happen to the price of games, but also the worse thing to happen to innovation.

Nintendo was the biggest success this generation because they innovated. They brought something new to the table and people found it irresistible. A fresh experience to old and new gamers alike. And despite the lack of support, they made more money than their competitors combined. So while the market is screaming for commoditization, people are buying innovation.

So as a console maker, what do you do? Commoditizing games will lower development cost and garner more support, but innovation has the chance to make you different and commercially viable. So which one do you choose?

I hope Nintendo knows they answer.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:09:52 PM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: May 11, 2011, 02:15:05 PM »
Here is a good article on nine things the Wii 2 needs to be successful:

http://mediarushes.com/2011/05/04/nine-things-nintendo-needs-to-do-with-wii-2/
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: May 11, 2011, 02:20:16 PM »
Nintendo was the biggest success this generation because they innovated. They brought something new to the table and people found it irresistible. A fresh experience to old and new gamers alike. And despite the lack of support, they made more money than their competitors combined. So while the market is screaming for commoditization, people are buying innovation.

Nintendo could have made a Trading Places* bet with Sega on this generation for a total profit of $1 and still made more money than both Sony & MS combined.

*Trading places is a Eddie Murphy & Dan Aykroyd movie made in 1983
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086465/

Here is a good article on nine things the Wii 2 needs to be successful:

http://mediarushes.com/2011/05/04/nine-things-nintendo-needs-to-do-with-wii-2/

They forgot #10
Keep it affordable
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:22:35 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »