Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3156364 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6100 on: March 27, 2012, 05:18:34 PM »
Really? I've never seen that before. I always thought people used them as their laptop replacement.

You don't take a laptop out of the house?  Am I so freakin' old?  I remember when the whole marketing behind laptops was that you could take a computer on vacation or on a business trip.  The mere purpose of moving it to different rooms of your house was never really focused on.

But I see people in public with both laptops and iPads all the time.  They're not permantly affixed to it like they are to their phones but they're out there.  It can be as simple as going to a friend's house and bringing it with you.  In that use is the Wii U any more convenient than every other videogame console in existence?  If you have to go gather up the main unit and plug it in at your destination, then you're doing the same thing you do now with a Wii.  Part of the appeal of a tablet or laptop is that you just pick it up and go (maybe grab a power cord).  You don't even have to turn it off.

I should also point out that single people who never have to share the TV don't really have that much use for a second screen that is purely for not tying up the TV.  The appeal of that is more for families or couples that apparently live in 1987 and only have one TV.  Yes the family demographic is large but it isn't enough to sell a whole videogame system primarily on this concept.  And if this issue that a videogame console ties up the TV is such a dealbreaker for someone couldn't they have bought a DS or 3DS?  Nintendo (if they're not completely nuts) is going to sell the interaction between the two screens and the ability to use a touchscreen on a console and this "leave the room" stuff will be secondary, particularly since Nintendo has already been selling the solution to this "problem" since 1989.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: March 27, 2012, 06:43:38 PM »
I take my laptop to school when I need to write a paper. But that's about it. The draw behind my laptop is not being confined to a desk. At my house.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6102 on: March 27, 2012, 07:09:30 PM »
True,

Nintendo has been flirting with dual screen gaming and how to make the most of these games for awhile.  Zelda and Pacman vs, are just a few elements. 

If Nintendo could get 2 player Wii tablet play, that can go really far into making an engaging game.  If Nintendo can figure out how to do it with 4 players, that could make an amazing party game. 

I hope Mario Party Wii U goes this route....I think it would be fun, and even if they drop the resolution to get those results it would be worth it. 

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: March 27, 2012, 07:09:48 PM »
more of a desktop guy myself, you can get more power for cheaper that way. Also i hate laptop keyboards. Sure i could use a usb keyboard but it'd be on a desk in that situation anyways. I would buy a tablet to do what most people do with their laptops when they eventually have fully featured OS' (hopefully Windows 8 tablets will turn out well) with that said i hope the internet browser is at least decent on the wii U, with the wiiU tablet it could be the first actually useful console browser.

I should also point out that single people who never have to share the TV don't really have that much use for a second screen that is purely for not tying up the TV.  The appeal of that is more for families or couples that apparently live in 1987 and only have one TV.  Yes the family demographic is large but it isn't enough to sell a whole videogame system primarily on this concept.  And if this issue that a videogame console ties up the TV is such a dealbreaker for someone couldn't they have bought a DS or 3DS?  Nintendo (if they're not completely nuts) is going to sell the interaction between the two screens and the ability to use a touchscreen on a console and this "leave the room" stuff will be secondary, particularly since Nintendo has already been selling the solution to this "problem" since 1989.

Also this. Although the not hogging the tv part could be useful for RPG grinding at least. oh wait on second thought this is more of a problem in the japanese market since housing is generally smaller and i don't think a lot of people have more than 1 tv there.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:20:50 PM by Lithium »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6104 on: March 27, 2012, 10:01:45 PM »
Well, most families have two TVs in the house, but usually one is in the living room, and the other is in the parent's room, unless they have two living rooms.  So the Wii U tablet is still useful.  Also, if you only have two TVs...you can still let one child watch a movie and the other play a game.  There are uses.

Also, I am now a laptop person...I don't need that much power for my computer....and I like that laptops are less cluttered, and more self contained.  I do take my laptop out sometimes, but not always.  I just think in this day and age...I only need one computer.  So I should make it a laptop so that if I need portability I have it.  Options are good.

The same with the WiiU...even if you don't need the screen in your house...options are good.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6105 on: March 27, 2012, 10:36:05 PM »
Not that we'd ever see it...

But imagine an app that lets you connect your phone to your WiiPad via Bluetooth.  Then, via your cell connection, over the internet, to your WiiU.  Then, playing VC games and other Pad-only games in the car. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: March 27, 2012, 10:37:43 PM »
Not that we'd ever see it...

But imagine an app that lets you connect your phone to your WiiPad via Bluetooth.  Then, via your cell connection, over the internet, to your WiiU.  Then, playing VC games and other Pad-only games in the car. :D

HOMEBREW!!  HOMEBREW!!  HOMEBREW!!  HOMEBREW!!  HOMEBREW!!  HOMEBREW!!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: March 27, 2012, 11:30:47 PM »
If you think about it the whole dual screen concept is as weird as the N64 controller. The N64 controller was designed in such a way that unless you were an alien with three hands you could only use it in a certain way at a time, and that's how it is with the dual screen thing as well. Even though we have two eyes, they can only focus on one screen at a time. So glancing back and forth is necessary. I'm not saying its problematic, but it requires additional attention/effort than a single screen would.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6108 on: March 27, 2012, 11:33:42 PM »
Two screens is easier to handle with the DS/3DS because you could really look at both screens at the same time. That is a lot different than the Wii U (unless you are holding the Wii U controller up so it's parallel to the TV).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: March 28, 2012, 02:53:01 AM »
It's not that hard. I'll bet most of us have done a lot of grinding in Gameboy/DS RPGs while watching TV. A lot of people text or check facebook while in front of the television so I don't see it being that big of a hurdle.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: March 28, 2012, 03:44:15 AM »
It's not that hard. I'll bet most of us have done a lot of grinding in Gameboy/DS RPGs while watching TV. A lot of people text or check facebook while in front of the television so I don't see it being that big of a hurdle.

This right here. I watch my wife's favorite shows with her while playing either Mario Kart online or grinding away in Pokemon. It's already built into us all.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline sebasrd27

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: March 28, 2012, 08:59:49 AM »
Han Randhawa, Darksiders 2 art director:
"There is not much I can really talk about right now, but I think that the Wii U is a pretty powerful machine, which obviously means more resources, and means you can do a lot more. So the Wii U team is doing very well, we've been working with Nintendo and I think it's going to be a very exciting version of Darksiders but we want to keep the overall theme relatively consistent."

Vigil contradictions everywhere!  ::) ::)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6112 on: March 28, 2012, 06:41:32 PM »
True...we are used to passively looking at one screen and using another.  As long as one screen is more passively used then it will be very easy.

It is when both screens must be used ACTIVELY, that will make it difficult.  It also depends on the type of game you are playing obviously, a game like Pokemon can be played somewhat more passively. 

It is definitely a hurdle to look into, but I think very few games will use both screens actively...it is hardly done even on the DS and 3DS. 

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: March 28, 2012, 07:14:04 PM »
All this dual-screen talk makes me want Kirby's Tilt N Tumble to make a comeback.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: March 28, 2012, 08:00:44 PM »
It is when both screens must be used ACTIVELY, that will make it difficult.  It also depends on the type of game you are playing obviously, a game like Pokemon can be played somewhat more passively. 

You could just have easily had this concern for the N64 controller.  There is nothing stopping a developer from making a game that actively requires you to look at both screens just like there was nothing stopping a developer from requiring you to use the N64 d-pad, analog stick and face buttons at the same time.  It wasn't a concern on the N64 because any developer that would do such a thing would pay for it with crappy sales of their unplayable **** game.  Good developers aren't going to do this on the Wii U and if they try to the game will probably suck so much that the sales will be in the shitter.  At worst Nintendo would try something like that ONCE and then never again after it bombs.  It just doesn't make sense to make a game like that.

Though I figure we'll get lots of titles from Nintendo where it plays like a normal game except you have to look down at the tablet for menus and other stupid crap that doesn't need a seperate screen but will be shoehorned in accordingly to justify the decision to make a console with a tablet controller.  You know how in NSMB on the DS the game is pretty much all in the top screen but if you want to access any power-up you have in reserve you have to touch it on the touchscreen?  That is the future.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: March 28, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »
I disagree. You call it shoehorning; I call it an improved interface. For example. the touchscreen completely changed Ocarina of Time. That's not an exaggeration by any stetch of the imagination. I wasn't a believer until I played OoT 3D but I can't go back and play it on N64 ever again. It has nothing to do with the graphics and everything to do with how well the second screen improved the game.

It depends on how it's used and what it's used for. The item swap in NSMB was pointless because, if I remember correctly, the X button did nothing. In other games, the entire experience is greatly enhanced.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: March 28, 2012, 08:21:24 PM »
The future is flexibility. It's having a platform, much like Apple and Google have built, where anyone with an idea can realize it.

And I think Nintendo themselves, finally realizes that. The Wii U is set to have all the standard industry control options and more, standard industry graphics ability and more, and the standard online network and more.

If a third party wants to make anything for any system, they can make it on the Wii U (especially if the tablet is multi-touch). If third parties want to make a game for the Wii U, there is a chance they can't make it for other systems. And that's the methodology Nintendo seems to be subscribing to.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Steamworks/Wii U Cross Platform Play?
« Reply #6117 on: March 29, 2012, 12:02:05 AM »
Steam U!? *wink wink*
Two Tribes Hints At Steam & Wii U Cross Platform Saves?
https://twitter.com/#!/TwoTribesGames/status/185195880142483456
Quote from: twitter
Two Tribes
‏ @TwoTribesGames

“@rothsothy: @TwoTribesGames Steamworks/Steam Cloud support! #tokitori2Cross platform PC/Wii U saves! Wouldn't that be nice ;)

yes. yes it would be nice. very nice actually.
It would also be even nicer if I could buy it on the eShop and also have access to it on my computer so that I won't have to buy it twice to enjoy that cross platform save feature.
What would be nicest is if Steamworks was just on my Wii U to begin with.

edit:
and don't forget this little tidbit from the Rumor List 2011
Valve on WiiU
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:56:15 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: March 29, 2012, 12:09:59 AM »
I don't think Nintendo is going to forsake EA and take in Valve, but this may play to the rumor (or was it official?) that said Nintendo is allowing third parties to bring in their own online infrastructure onto the Wii U.

This little hint gives that much more water.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #6119 on: March 29, 2012, 12:39:10 AM »
Wha... what.. why, yes. Is that a little drop of pee in my panties ...I mean, underwear?

Please, oh, please.. Nintendo.. for the love of jeebus. Please give us Steamworks on your next console. Cross-platform game saves are making this sound more likely.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I'm all too excited about E3 this year. Don't worry, Ty. I won't liveblog it this year. ;)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6120 on: March 29, 2012, 01:40:03 AM »
As long as I can download all the pre-Wii U launch games then I will have no problems with this happening.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: March 29, 2012, 02:10:02 AM »
I swear I'm trying, Kytim. But that sentence makes no sense whatsoever.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: March 29, 2012, 02:34:13 AM »
I swear I'm trying, Kytim. But that sentence makes no sense whatsoever.

Dead Space 2? Saints Row: The Third?  Mass Effect 2? Modern Warfare 3?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: March 29, 2012, 02:46:51 AM »
Yes I understand that games might be coming out before Wii U is released, but your concern...It doesn't make any sense. Are you saying that third parties will wait to release the PC version of games to accommodate the Wii U version? Why would they do that?

The only thing I can think of that would pertain to what your talking about is if the Wii U is straight up a Steam Hub and allows you to access more than just your save, but also your game. But then, that wouldn't delay the release either. In fact, that would be a main draw to the Wii U.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: March 29, 2012, 03:37:39 AM »
Yes I understand that games might be coming out before Wii U is released, but your concern...It doesn't make any sense. Are you saying that third parties will wait to release the PC version of games to accommodate the Wii U version? Why would they do that?

The only thing I can think of that would pertain to what your talking about is if the Wii U is straight up a Steam Hub and allows you to access more than just your save, but also your game. But then, that wouldn't delay the release either. In fact, that would be a main draw to the Wii U.

I mentioned before that I have missed out on the last five years worth of third party games and something like Steam on the Wii U would help me play catch up relatively easy. Sorry for the misunderstanding.