Author Topic: Project Cafe & Pre-E3 HYPE Thread  (Read 102190 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Project Cafe & Pre-E3 HYPE Thread
« Reply #300 on: June 01, 2011, 12:26:24 AM »
Ian Sane just listed some reasons why people should just let Nintendo create whatever games they want to make. Someone's always going to complain about something so Nintendo shouldn't start trying to satisfy the complaints because, as the old cliché goes, you can't please everyone. No one asked for Super Mario 64 or Zelda Ocarina of Time and Nintendo didn't hear anyone complain about the previous entries in the series and many people consider them the best in their respective series. Not everything they make is great, but they'll have a higher chance of creating greatness if they are left alone with no outside influences.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 01, 2011, 01:13:13 AM »
just saw this on GAF... thought I would share. LOL

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 01, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »
lol, though I like that with voices.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 01, 2011, 11:39:38 AM »
I love that.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 01, 2011, 12:17:59 PM »
Bruce Willis is not only a hardcore gamer, he's a diehardcore gamer.
is your sanity...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 01, 2011, 12:53:28 PM »
I keep reading on other sites how if Nintendo launches now, the PS4/720 will be even more powerful than the cafe when they launch. Yes that makes sense to me, but the 360 launched a year before the PS3 and as far as I know that power difference means absolutely nothing as far as the games are concerned right?

I assumed the PS3 would be able to make games not possible for the 360 and that is so not true. Should there be any concern that a Wii to the  PS360 power difference could happen again? I perosnally doubt it, but most of you have better educated opinions than I do.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 01, 2011, 01:00:10 PM »
I keep reading on other sites how if Nintendo launches now, the PS4/720 will be even more powerful than the cafe when they launch. Yes that makes sense to me, but the 360 launched a year before the PS3 and as far as I know that power difference means absolutely nothing as far as the games are concerned right?

I assumed the PS3 would be able to make games not possible for the 360 and that is so not true. Should there be any concern that a Wii to the  PS360 power difference could happen again? I perosnally doubt it, but most of you have better educated opinions than I do.
The only problem with the PS3/360 comparison is that Developers to this day still have a hard time wrestling the PS3's architecture.  While MS and Nintendo will probably have very super similar architectures so more power may play up a little more.  Though I don't think it will matter beyond First/Second party titles.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 01, 2011, 01:07:47 PM »
I keep reading on other sites how if Nintendo launches now, the PS4/720 will be even more powerful than the cafe when they launch.

Yeah, but its not launching now; it is launching a YEAR from now. The Xbox 420 is going to launch at the end of 2012, so it will only be MONTHS behind it so its probably not going to be much more powerful if it is at all. The PS4 on the other hand isn't predicted to come out until 2014, so that's quite a whole different matter there...
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 01, 2011, 01:11:19 PM »
Developers to this day still have a hard time wrestling the PS3's architecture.

Maybe they should talk to the hackers and get a few pointers. ;)
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 01, 2011, 02:08:28 PM »

*dismissive gesture* They don't really use the processor.  Maybe the Linux community.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 01, 2011, 02:16:39 PM »

*dismissive gesture* They don't really use the processor.  Maybe the Linux community.

Aren't they the same people?

Or maybe I should say that wouldn't most hackers already be part of the Linux Community?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 01, 2011, 02:35:04 PM »
Aren't they the same people?
Or maybe I should say that wouldn't most hackers already be part of the Linux Community?
You would think but I wouldn't bet on it.  I'm surprised a lot of the time on those types of thing.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 01, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »
All hackers ever want to do is put linux on everything. So yeah, I'd say it's the same community.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 01, 2011, 04:03:35 PM »
Ian Sane just listed some reasons why people should just let Nintendo create whatever games they want to make. Someone's always going to complain about something so Nintendo shouldn't start trying to satisfy the complaints because, as the old cliché goes, you can't please everyone. No one asked for Super Mario 64 or Zelda Ocarina of Time and Nintendo didn't hear anyone complain about the previous entries in the series and many people consider them the best in their respective series. Not everything they make is great, but they'll have a higher chance of creating greatness if they are left alone with no outside influences.

yeah i think about that. Even when Nintendo makes mediocre games by Nintendo standards, they are still good games. I always want Nintendo to make new franchises, but not because a new franchise is a better thing then having a 3rd party killer app, its because it will always be exclusive.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 01, 2011, 04:45:58 PM »
  I'm glad Nintendo doesn't make Zelda games for Ian.

Nintendo has made Zelda games for Ian.  The ones where they just do their thing and make a great game with worrying about targetting this audience or that audience.  It works best when it isn't so calculated.  And sometimes it doesn't always go over well but they need to just learn from it and try something different and not assume that change is universally frowned upon.

A Zelda game for Ian is a Zelda game that is made entirely with the goal in mind of making a great game and it happens to click with me.  Wind Waker was just an example where it didn't.

Here's a good example.  Super Mario Sunshine did not go over that well.  They hyped up the waterpack like the most amazing concept in videogame history.  It was lame and no one liked it.  Nintendo did not follow this up with super conservative Super Mario 64 Part 2.  They made Super Mario Galaxy which experimented with this new planet level design.  It was different from both Mario 64 and Sunshine and it went over HUGE.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 01, 2011, 04:51:10 PM »
  I'm glad Nintendo doesn't make Zelda games for Ian.

Nintendo has made Zelda games for Ian.  The ones where they just do their thing and make a great game with worrying about targetting this audience or that audience.  It works best when it isn't so calculated.  And sometimes it doesn't always go over well but they need to just learn from it and try something different and not assume that change is universally frowned upon.

A Zelda game for Ian is a Zelda game that is made entirely with the goal in mind of making a great game and it happens to click with me.  Wind Waker was just an example where it didn't.

Here's a good example.  Super Mario Sunshine did not go over that well.  They hyped up the waterpack like the most amazing concept in videogame history.  It was lame and no one liked it.  Nintendo did not follow this up with super conservative Super Mario 64 Part 2.  They made Super Mario Galaxy which experimented with this new planet level design.  It was different from both Mario 64 and Sunshine and it went over HUGE.
I will disagree with you their.  I think the Water Pack was what was missing from Mario 64.  I like Sunshine much better.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 01, 2011, 05:43:07 PM »
I liked the water pack; I thought it offered some pretty cool gameplay mechanics, but I don't think it was enough to base a whole game around.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 01, 2011, 06:07:28 PM »
I also liked Super Mario Sunshine, what really ruined the game for me were the blue coins. Though I agree that the water pack feels more like it was designed as a powerup that somehow made it into the game as a permanent thing. It would be like if Mario had a gravity switch the whole way through Super Mario Galaxy which replaced other powerups, reducing the variety.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 01, 2011, 06:07:54 PM »
The only thing I hated about F.L.U.D.D. was that it was a permanent powerup that was permanently equipped and it was always there. Imagine how Mario Bros. 3 would have been if Mario was grafted to the Tanuki suit throughout the whole entire game and there was never any way to take it off and it was the only powerup. That doesn't sound like very much fun, right? Everyone loves the Tanooki suit, though, but that's only because its a special thing that you had for limited times. If you get stuck with something permanently it isn't so special anymore.

ETA: Or imagine Super Mario World with Mario being stuck to Yoshi the entire game. No matter how much fun something might be, if you can't ever break free of it the appeal will eventually fade.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:10:53 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 01, 2011, 06:56:58 PM »
ETA: Or imagine Super Mario World with Mario being stuck to Yoshi the entire game. No matter how much fun something might be, if you can't ever break free of it the appeal will eventually fade.

I don't know.  That sounds a lot like Yoshi's Island.  :D

Regardless of what one's personal feelings towards Super Mario Sunshine is, it is pretty obviously the least popular of the 3D Mario platformers.  And Nintendo did not overreact to that by being excessively conservative.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 01, 2011, 07:52:53 PM »
A lot of SMS's failure saleswise had to do with the fact it was on the Gamecube. By the standard of Gamecube games it did very well and was one of the few high selling games for the system. It did poor in comparison to SM64 or Galaxy, but those other Mario games had the advantage of not being on the Gamecube. So its hard to say. If Sunshine had been a Wii game I have no doubt it would have done much better.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 01, 2011, 10:21:12 PM »
The only thing I hated about F.L.U.D.D. was that it was a permanent powerup that was permanently equipped and it was always there. Imagine how Mario Bros. 3 would have been if Mario was grafted to the Tanuki suit throughout the whole entire game and there was never any way to take it off and it was the only powerup. That doesn't sound like very much fun, right? Everyone loves the Tanooki suit, though, but that's only because its a special thing that you had for limited times. If you get stuck with something permanently it isn't so special anymore.

haha...but i love the tanuki suit! Mario has a racoon tail! I used to wear racoon caps when i was a kid. Mario was never more fashionable...when i play other games i think about how awesome the tanuki suit was

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=34150.50

CRAP

i thought it was the 2nd...not the 7th i got to wait 5 more days...sigh.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:27:15 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 01, 2011, 11:53:32 PM »
The Water Pack did one big thing for me in Sunshine, it allowed for me to adjust my jump in 3D.  Lets face it 3D adds the Camera and the Camera makes platforming a lot harder then it should be some times.

It is also the first game with the modern Mario model that we know all accept as Mario. Though it did introduce Bowser Jr. and by now everyone should know my feelings about that character.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Project Cafe @ EB Games Expo!?
« Reply #323 on: June 02, 2011, 10:50:05 AM »
I don't know if everyone is aware of this, but Australia is having a trade show this year by the name of EB Games Expo.

According to their Press Release, Nintendo has signed on as an exhibitor and Rumor has it that Nintendo has secured a large show space and will be showing Project Café there. Which would make sense as it releases next year.

So if you're in Australia, you better get some tickets while they are available, because this event is open to the public.
http://www.ebexpo.com.au/
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:11:35 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 02, 2011, 11:00:55 AM »
AU Article a GOOOOO...