Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3160726 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6675 on: May 03, 2012, 01:01:15 PM »
I am citing my own numbers based on fixing these consoles for the past two years. Unless a normal failure rate is the majority of consoles, then I don't accept that "normal" failure rate. If anyone wants proof for SONY's $50 fee and console stealing, enter your serial number on their repair page and see for yourself. No, I am not including Jasper consoles, since those are virtually immune to the hardware failure that the 3 previous revisions are, same with the Slim PS3 in regards to the YLoD. Those numbers also are based on manufacturer repairs - which Microsoft covered for 3 years, and SONY covered for only 1 year, so of course the repairs by the manufacturer make Microsoft's numbers look a lot higher. I've never had a single customer tell me they had paid SONY's ridiculous $150 out-of-warranty fee for the YLoD, but a very large percentage of them said that they had it fixed under warranty, and another large percentage said that the console has been sitting in the closet for years, and they had already bought a replacement.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: May 03, 2012, 01:10:17 PM »
The small sample size institute approves your numbers Brandogg. :)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: May 03, 2012, 01:27:51 PM »
Everything is based on small samples, that's the basis of statistics. I have a very specific population of people that have broken consoles, and I wouldn't really consider thousands of customers a "small" sample size.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: May 03, 2012, 02:28:27 PM »
Why does Nintendo (or anyone, for that matter) need to make an entirely new OS for the Wii U? Why can't they just take an existing OS like Linux or Android and run with that? Why reinvent the wheel?

Also, if Nintendo had Linux pre-installed on the Wii U as its default OS then the Linux hackers would have no need to hack it, because the Linux would already be there anyway. The PS3 didn't get hacked until Sony stripped out Other OS support. Had Sony left it in GeoHot and others would have had no motivation to do what they did.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:30:57 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: May 03, 2012, 02:45:47 PM »
Why does Nintendo (or anyone, for that matter) need to make an entirely new OS for the Wii U? Why can't they just take an existing OS like Linux or Android and run with that? Why reinvent the wheel?

Also, if Nintendo had Linux pre-installed on the Wii U as its default OS then the Linux hackers would have no need to hack it, because the Linux would already be there anyway. The PS3 didn't get hacked until Sony stripped out Other OS support. Had Sony left it in GeoHot and others would have had no motivation to do what they did.
Optimization and the removal of bloat.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: May 03, 2012, 04:01:54 PM »

FYI, PS3 was hacked before OtherOS was removed.   I saw a huge discussion about it I think in an Engadget talkback thread about Geohot having an article done about him.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 04:03:53 PM by Louieturkey »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: May 05, 2012, 01:40:00 AM »
I've tried to source this pic back to a patent... but my Google Fu is apparently not that strong.

maybe someone else will be able to validate this with an actual uspto link to the patent that contains it.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6682 on: May 05, 2012, 03:57:00 AM »
All sources seem to go back to a NeoGAF post that doesn't link to an actual patent.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
"Clicky Sticks" on the uMote!?
« Reply #6683 on: May 05, 2012, 09:42:34 AM »
Apparently another insider (John Harker @ NeoGAF) is saying that the uMote now has "clicky sticks" as in clickable circle pads. So if true, that is another controller featuer implemented to match PS360's standardized controls

also, I may have found the patent(s), but since I can't see any of the pics on the upsto site right now, we'll just have to assume these are the right ones (pub 5/3/2012)

plus more plastic attachments

7 New Patents from Nintendo
http://uspto.com/7_Nintendo_Patents

Quote from: 2 of 7
A controller system includes a terminal device 7, and an input device 200 as an additional device which can be attached to and detached from the terminal device 7. The controller device 7 includes a generally plate-shaped housing 50, and an LCD 51 provided on the front side of the housing. The input device 200 includes an operation section such as a stick 204, a bar-shaped first grip portion 200a, and a support portion 205. The support portion 205 detachably supports the terminal device 7 so that the screen of the LCD 51 is in a generally vertical direction when the first grip portion 200a is in the vertical direction.
Quote from: 3 of 7
A terminal device 7 includes a generally plate-shaped housing 50, an LCD 51 provided on the front side of the housing, analog sticks 53A and 53B, a second L button 54K, and a second R button 54L. The analog sticks 53A and 53B are provided respectively in left and right portions of the LCD 51 above the center of the housing 50. The second L button 54K and the second R button 54L are provided on the back side of the housing 50 so as to generally correspond to the analog sticks 53A and 53B on the front side of the housing 50.

edit: link to the pics (including a diagram of Wii U innards)
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20120108329.pdf

notice the 3 memory pools.  11d, 11e & 12
Internal main memory, external main memory and VRAM.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:13:58 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: May 05, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »
That's not really a diagram of the WiiU as much as it is a...patent application.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: May 05, 2012, 10:31:07 AM »
Interesting. I'm not a fan of the analog stick click function but, if true, I appreciate it being there for parity with the other consoles. This is especially good news because it seems Nintendo would have learned something instead of forcing 3rd parties to make due with what they're given. Now, if only the triggers...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: May 05, 2012, 10:42:37 AM »
I don't like the stick clicking either, but I think I would like it more with a Circle Pad type of thing than with a traditional stick, so maybe it will be better.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: May 05, 2012, 03:32:03 PM »
I don't like the stick clicking either, but I think I would like it more with a Circle Pad type of thing than with a traditional stick, so maybe it will be better.

Even if its not better its good that its there because whether you like it or hate it its something that's standard on the competition's controllers these days, and Nintendo should strive for feature parity so as to eliminate every possible excuse developers might have for not supporting it.
is your sanity...

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: May 05, 2012, 04:55:22 PM »
Maybe instead of click-in stick buttons they could have went with six face buttons. Nah, that would take up a lot of space.

I see FLASH MEMORY in the innards diagram. Would it be safe to assume that there will be 512 MB-4 GB of internal storage in every Wii U? There is no explicit mention of a USB connected hard drive. I hope EXTERNAL MAIN MEMORY means we'll be able to hook up a SATA hard drive!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6689 on: May 05, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »
Yes, they've talked about Flash storage from the get-go. There's going to be way more than 512 (that's what the Wii had). External main memory just means memory not embedded in the CPU/GPU. i.e. what we usually refer to as RAM.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6690 on: May 05, 2012, 05:21:02 PM »
I wonder how much internal Flash storage they'll throw on there. The Wii had 512 MB, the 3DS had 2 GB, so I'd like to think that sets a baseline. The XBox 360 has that 4 GB model out there, and I'd like to think that Nintendo could best that... is that too much to hope? I mean, won't Dragon Quest X require an included custom 16 GB flash memory usb drive to run on the Wii?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6691 on: May 05, 2012, 05:35:18 PM »
I mean, won't Dragon Quest X require an included custom 16 GB flash memory usb drive to run on the Wii?

I don't think it's custom, you can use any 16GB+ USB drive to play the game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: May 05, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »
Interesting. Now, if only the triggers...

Well it was rumored a while back that Nintendo had already switched to analog triggers.
That's coming from the same place, but different person, so still far from a confirmation.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: May 05, 2012, 09:06:54 PM »
I wonder how much internal Flash storage they'll throw on there. The Wii had 512 MB, the 3DS had 2 GB, so I'd like to think that sets a baseline. The XBox 360 has that 4 GB model out there, and I'd like to think that Nintendo could best that... is that too much to hope? I mean, won't Dragon Quest X require an included custom 16 GB flash memory usb drive to run on the Wii?

I'd think (and hope) that they at least have 16GB of storage if they went with flash memory if they decide to go the non-hard drive route with the out of box model. That seems to be the appropriate amount of memory to allow a gamer to download a couple of retail releases, something they seem to being pushing.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: May 05, 2012, 11:47:21 PM »
What would be nice is if whatever amount of flash memory that Nintendo places into the Wii U (8 or 16GBs) is also used in the eventual 3DS Lite. This way it cuts down on production costs for the flash enough that we can have adequate storage for both consoles. Nintendo would also be smart to put SDXC support in that SD card slot because those cards go above 32GBs, but they cost way more money.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: May 06, 2012, 12:43:11 AM »
I thought SDXC cards were already confirmed to work in the 3DS.  Seems odd that they wouldn't be WiiU compatible.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: May 06, 2012, 01:12:53 AM »
Honestly- when I purchase a digital copy of something I don't want to have to pay MORE MONEY FOR ANOTHER FLASH DRIVE FOR IT. I don't care if SD cards are the new memory card, I shouldn't have to pay more for it.

Just saying.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6697 on: May 06, 2012, 01:22:29 AM »
Honestly- when I purchase a digital copy of something I don't want to have to pay MORE MONEY FOR ANOTHER FLASH DRIVE FOR IT. I don't care if SD cards are the new memory card, I shouldn't have to pay more for it.

Just saying.

If you buy enough music/movies/TV shows/games, even the largest flash drive won't be enough.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: May 06, 2012, 01:29:51 AM »
When you buy a digital product, you need to find the space for it, just like you would physical space for a physical product. Personally, I'd rather buy a bigger SD card than have to make room for all those plastic game cases.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: May 06, 2012, 02:15:30 AM »
I might buy everything digital if it does not take forever to download.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.