Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3161212 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #5000 on: October 12, 2011, 08:18:26 PM »
Reply #5000!!!!

and now back to your conversation not based on any rumors....

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: October 12, 2011, 08:30:26 PM »
I expected any redesign to be larger anyway. There isn't a lot of room to make the current model smaller without reducing the size of the screens which would be silly.
http://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/image/article/642/642275/game-boy-micro-date-revealed-20050816105328468-001.jpg

;)

Yes I realize that was a totally different situation. I'm just being snarky for no reason.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: October 12, 2011, 08:48:19 PM »
What if they called it the Nintend6? it'd be like, woa man. mind blowing. the 6 looks like the o, but with bunny ears. just like the bunny hood. That think makes you go faster than you've ever been.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: October 13, 2011, 03:10:04 PM »
It's the same mindset that observed that not enough people were on broadband in 2002 but didn't take into account how many people would be in 2004.

That's not really fair, though. Because Nintendo did release a broadband adapter for the Gamecube. Its not entirely their fault that only one or two games supported it. Now you might argue the Gamecube should have had ethernet built into it right from the beginning, but by that same logic why don't you criticize the PS2 for it? The PS2 didn't have ethernet in the beginning either, but it was added later. The PS2 had like 6 times the marketshare that the Gamecube had and no shortage of 3rd party software, so of course it managed to pull the broadband adapter off. Online failed on the GC simply because the GC itself failed. At least Nintendo provided the option for developers to use it, though.

I criticize Nintendo for not making any online games themselves.  THAT is the reason the Gamecube was effectively an offline system.  Aside from offering the adapter themselves they didn't put any effort into it and third parties were not going to do it for them.  Nintendo's "effort" was a technicality at best.  It's the sort of effort one does in bad faith so they can claim "See? We did it." without actually doing it.  Doesn't matter anyway because Nintendo not making online games themselves demonstrates the point of not thinking ahead.  They needed to do it then to have the proper experience to do it right in the next gen.  But they didn't so we got friend codes and the Wii having insufficient internal storage.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: October 13, 2011, 03:13:01 PM »
Yeah, but right out of the gate we have a huge MMORPG in DQX. SquareEnix is probably a bit annoyed with the Wii Online system so I'm sure they had a lot to say about it when they negotiated a deal to bring it to the Wii U.

Same goes with EA and Activision.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #5005 on: October 29, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »
Not really sure if I should put this here or in the Wii U topic but here is some Sonic Dimensions rumors.

- working title
 - takes place directly after Generations
 - spiritual successor to Sonic Colors
 - visual quality in line with Generations
 - will take advantage of many Wii U specific capabilities
 - includes the use of the Wii U controllers for up to a 4 person multiplayer
 - use of touchscreen to destroy enemies and activate powers
 - storyline will center around another time-space continuum shift at the hands of Eggman
 - this alters Sonic’s world and Sonic himself
 - Sonic will allegedly split into multiple personalities denoted by color
 - each color has its own unique abilities
 - blue Sonic will be the core Sonic, and will be the uniting figure with the other colors
 - five other colors: Red, Orange, Purple, Green, and Yellow
 - Red Sonic can cause explosions to open up new areas, but has a slow speed and a short jump
 - Purple Sonic will be able to move platforms and float and will have a dark attitude
 - Orange personality similar to Big the Cat
 - yellow Sonic will be the fastest of them all, but takes damage easily
 - only two of the personalities can be used in-stage
 - all may be able to combine and act as an equivalent Super Guide
 - White Sonic allegedly pops up as an option after dying in a stage a certain number of times
 - using White Sonic will make the game easier, but will give you a low rank
 - SEGA may be working with Nintendo developers on this game
 - includes most of the Sonic Colors staff
 - Nintendo helping with level design, which will take a more surreal approach
 - Music Plant from Sonic Advance 2 may be revived for this project
 - Rival battles: fight evil versions of friends like Amy Rose
 - Eggman's personality will split, making a nice version
 - classic Sonic-style 2D elements

Most noteworthy things from this rumor is that it will use the Wii U controllers for 4 person multiplayer,Nintendo might be helping out Sega with level design, most of the Sonic Colors team will be working on this title and the Clasic Sonic-style 2D elements will be there. As far as I know there hasn't really been any hints as if any games will use 4 Wii U controllers or not. Question is does this game support 4 Wii U controllers or a mix of Wii controllers and Wii U controllers.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: October 29, 2011, 04:28:13 PM »
It's the same mindset that observed that not enough people were on broadband in 2002 but didn't take into account how many people would be in 2004.

That's not really fair, though. Because Nintendo did release a broadband adapter for the Gamecube. Its not entirely their fault that only one or two games supported it. Now you might argue the Gamecube should have had ethernet built into it right from the beginning, but by that same logic why don't you criticize the PS2 for it? The PS2 didn't have ethernet in the beginning either, but it was added later. The PS2 had like 6 times the marketshare that the Gamecube had and no shortage of 3rd party software, so of course it managed to pull the broadband adapter off. Online failed on the GC simply because the GC itself failed. At least Nintendo provided the option for developers to use it, though.

I criticize Nintendo for not making any online games themselves.  THAT is the reason the Gamecube was effectively an offline system.  Aside from offering the adapter themselves they didn't put any effort into it and third parties were not going to do it for them.  Nintendo's "effort" was a technicality at best.  It's the sort of effort one does in bad faith so they can claim "See? We did it." without actually doing it.  Doesn't matter anyway because Nintendo not making online games themselves demonstrates the point of not thinking ahead.  They needed to do it then to have the proper experience to do it right in the next gen.  But they didn't so we got friend codes and the Wii having insufficient internal storage.

I don't think when Nintendo created the online adapter for the Gamecube that they intended it to go unused except for one or two games. They probably had big hopes for it, but it just didn't work out. The same goes with the Gamecube itself. Do you think Nintendo intended for the GC to sell only 21 million units LTD worldwide and be in 3rd place? No, but that's what happened. Had the GC been as much of a success as Nintendo had hoped then 3rd parties would have supported both it and the online adapter more. If the GC was successful enough Nintendo themselves might even have supported the online adapter, but we'll never know for sure because the GC never realized its full potential either online or off.
is your sanity...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: October 29, 2011, 05:31:18 PM »
Not really sure if I should put this here or in the Wii U topic but here is some Sonic Dimensions rumors.

- working title
 - takes place directly after Generations
 - spiritual successor to Sonic Colors
 - visual quality in line with Generations
 - will take advantage of many Wii U specific capabilities
 - includes the use of the Wii U controllers for up to a 4 person multiplayer
 - use of touchscreen to destroy enemies and activate powers
 - storyline will center around another time-space continuum shift at the hands of Eggman
 - this alters Sonic’s world and Sonic himself
 - Sonic will allegedly split into multiple personalities denoted by color
 - each color has its own unique abilities
 - blue Sonic will be the core Sonic, and will be the uniting figure with the other colors
 - five other colors: Red, Orange, Purple, Green, and Yellow
 - Red Sonic can cause explosions to open up new areas, but has a slow speed and a short jump
 - Purple Sonic will be able to move platforms and float and will have a dark attitude
 - Orange personality similar to Big the Cat
 - yellow Sonic will be the fastest of them all, but takes damage easily
 - only two of the personalities can be used in-stage
 - all may be able to combine and act as an equivalent Super Guide
 - White Sonic allegedly pops up as an option after dying in a stage a certain number of times
 - using White Sonic will make the game easier, but will give you a low rank
 - SEGA may be working with Nintendo developers on this game
 - includes most of the Sonic Colors staff
 - Nintendo helping with level design, which will take a more surreal approach
 - Music Plant from Sonic Advance 2 may be revived for this project
 - Rival battles: fight evil versions of friends like Amy Rose
 - Eggman's personality will split, making a nice version
 - classic Sonic-style 2D elements

Most noteworthy things from this rumor is that it will use the Wii U controllers for 4 person multiplayer,Nintendo might be helping out Sega with level design, most of the Sonic Colors team will be working on this title and the Clasic Sonic-style 2D elements will be there. As far as I know there hasn't really been any hints as if any games will use 4 Wii U controllers or not. Question is does this game support 4 Wii U controllers or a mix of Wii controllers and Wii U controllers.

That all seems like something very Sega like. I would prefer something more along the lines of what generations is now. Still I can't believe that Nintendo would get involved with making the level design. Rumors are always fun though.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: October 29, 2011, 06:08:39 PM »
hmm, I always wanted Nintendo buy Sega just so they can get Sega back in its once glorious shape, and also so there would be some exclusive franchises under Nintendo's belt. However, that's like a wish. The next best thing is Nintendo takes an advisory role and tells Sega how its fucking up and makes that not happen.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: October 29, 2011, 07:02:47 PM »
I was hoping someone would post the Sonic rumors here since I heard there were some, but I hadn't seen them yet.

Sounds interesting, especially if Nintendo is directly involved and upto 4 uMotes are planned.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5010 on: October 29, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Hoping for that, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: October 29, 2011, 09:14:04 PM »
The part about Nintendo helping out makes it more then likely fake because that sounds way to good to be true.  When something like that is said in a rumor, it usually tells me it's just a fanboy wishlist instead of something with any substance.

Then again, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic 4 and Generations were all leaked long before Sega officially revealed them, so Sonic rumors actually have a history of coming true.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: October 29, 2011, 09:19:12 PM »
I know it would be difficult but if there could be a 2D side scrolling Sonic, the 2nd tag along character could use the wiipad to catch up. It's what Sonic 2-Kunckles always needed. How is that not an epic idea?! It solves the horrible problem of who ever plays as Sonic just blasting away without Tails! If there could be some tiny picture in picture to stream to the pad it would be great! Imagine going through different parts of the stages due to abilities and affecting one another. Knuckles could be blasting away under ground, find the hidden switch that unlocks a secret road for Sonic up above and they meet up later. Side scrolling 4 swords.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: November 04, 2011, 12:22:21 AM »
I know Maxi already posted this, but since he didn't source it or quote the original rumor, I thought I would do it now since it's credibility has been strengthened by the patent that surfaced today

http://www.tssznews.com/2011/10/29/rumor-details-emerge-on-wii-u-sonic/
Quote from: 10/29/11
TSSZ has learned Sonic Dimensions, a working title for the next Sonic, will take place directly after Generations and be a spiritual successor to Sonic Colors.  We don’t know if this game will necessarily be exclusive to the Wii U, but we’re told it will have visual quality in line with Generations and it will take advantage of many Wii U specific capabilities.  That includes the use of the Wii U mini-tablets for up to a 4 person multiplayer, and use of the revised Wii U remote and its touchscreen to destroy enemies and activate powers.

what is this revised Wii U remote with a touch screen that they speak of?

Here is a new patent that is more than likely Wii U related (since the Wii all but dead at this point)

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/11/03/nintendo-patent-reveals-accessory-that-turns-a-wii-remote-into-a-touchpad/

image courtesy of NeoGAF
Wii U’s defining feature is a giant touchpad controller. While one player controls Samus’ spaceship, other players may have tiny touch screens of their own. A Japanese patent application filed by Nintendo reveals an accessory you slide on to a Wii remote and turns it into a touchpad.

The magic of mirrors makes the device work. When you touch the pad an infrared LED turns on and the amplified beams from the LED bounce off the mirror and are interpreted by the controller as position data. If you don’t touch the pad, the remote works just like a standard Wii remote.

Nintendo proposes their accessory can be used as an in-game drawing pad or to add a mouse pointer interface to a video game.

So now the wiimote can be a pointer or a trackpad.
Maybe that is a MarioPaint Wii accessory?
or a new way to play FPS on consoles.

But this is surely no substitute for 2-4 uMote local multi, so I hope this isn't an attempt at that solution.

So is that 4 uMotes or is that a mix of 1 uMote and  3 "revised" Wiimotes to create that 4 player action?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:33:45 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: November 04, 2011, 12:44:04 PM »
It's nice they aren't letting the wiimote die, but I want 4 wiimote upgrades and 4 uPads!

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5015 on: November 04, 2011, 04:22:49 PM »
I think it'd be a "one or the other" situation. Like, you might have two uPads and two of these, three max.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
2 tablets
« Reply #5016 on: November 09, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »

http://www.develop-online.net/news/39077/Nintendo-working-on-Wii-U-support-for-two-tablets

Full article here ^

Nintendo engineers are working hard to upgrade Wii U so that it can simultaneously support two tablet controllers, Develop understands.

A trusted game development executive has said there are numerous indications within the Wii U codebase that the console is, at the very least, being prepared to operate with two touch-screen pads.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 12:36:39 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: November 09, 2011, 12:46:03 PM »
It was already posted in the Wii U thread I think, but I guess it belongs in here too.

But this isn't really news. Nintendo didn't commit to more than 1 tablet at E3, but never denied that it could be done. Iwata only stated that cost was the major reason why they weren't pushing for more than the included tablet support.
Shortly after E3, a N rep stated that it can do more than one.
EA had also mentioned using it for Madden where 2 people can pick their plays in secret. That implies the use of 2 tablets(because switching controllers depending on who is on offense is ridiculous).
Then Nintendo also said that if a developer had ideas for 2 (or more?) tablets then they would look into support for that.
Then about a week ago Peter Moore (EA Pres) went to Nintendo HQ in Japan for a briefing about the Wii U.
This week it's leaked that support for 2 tablets is well underway.

There is also talk that 2 tablets has been up and running for a little while now.
....and that Wii U has at least 1GB RAM (specifics could not be shared).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 12:47:39 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: November 09, 2011, 03:29:17 PM »
That's good, but why stop at two? 4 player local multiplayer has been a standard feature since the N64. Nevertheless, 2 certainly is better than one, and while it was shocking that Nintendo didn't already have that implemented to begin with (just like dual analog on the 3DS) at least its getting fixed before the system launches.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: November 09, 2011, 03:34:35 PM »
they already have 5 player local multi with the 1 tablet ;)
j/k I know what you mean.

Hopefully this means that it will now be 6 player local Multi

2 uMote and 4 wiimotes or
1 uMote & 2 wiimotes vs 1 uMote & 2 wiimotes

I really don't think 4 uMotes will be necessary, but if support for them can be added without raising the cost of the system any further, then why not include it.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: November 09, 2011, 03:45:14 PM »
they already have 5 player local multi with the 1 tablet ;)
j/k I know what you mean.

Hopefully this means that it will now be 6 player local Multi

2 uMote and 4 wiimotes or
1 uMote & 2 wiimotes vs 1 uMote & 2 wiimotes

I really don't think 4 uMotes will be necessary, but if support for them can be added without raising the cost of the system any further, then why not include it.

When PS2 launched with only 2 controller ports I thought it was suicide. But now with the limited online that I have played through Wii and DS I can't stand any 4 player plus games that don't share a single screen. Example Smash Bros and NSMBW.

Despite my tv being larger than I could have ever hoped to imagine since the days of N64 and Gamecube, I hate sharing the screen beyond half. I think 2 tablets will be enough for in house sports guys or Smash Bros. The classic controllers will work just fine for most everything else. Well until the 4swords/crystal chronicles types become standard.

FPS are best online anyway, maybe a 2nd person with you while your at home online. This shale one day apply to Star Fox and F-Zero as well. I refuse to play with any more locally, especially F-Zero. Smash, Mario Tennis, NSMB, DK Country, SaP and maybe a few others will all be just fine with classic controllers locally.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: November 09, 2011, 05:18:35 PM »
Nintendo getting caught off guard by the suggestion of supporting multiple tablets was just shocking.  It does not give me a lot of faith in them to be oblivious to something that everyone else immediately thought of.  But then they might have thought of the idea and had intentionally not done it to cut corners and then played dumb when they got the backlash at E3.  It's better to look like fools for not thinking of it then to look like greedy misers for intentionally cutting it.

But one positive is that Nintendo may have had to improve the Wii U hardware to allow for a second tablet.  With the Xbox 420 likely to be revealed at the same time a real threat is for Nintendo to be leapfrogged by being too conservative.  If they had to up the specs to meet the two tablet demand, then they're making the system more future proof, even if it's something they didn't originally want to do.  Now would this affect the cost?  Well Nintendo overcharged for the 3DS and it bit them in the ass huge.  I don't see them increasing the price to match increased specs unless it was going to put them in position to take a loss on hardware.  We might very well get a better system from a technical perspective with less mark up.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: November 09, 2011, 06:14:25 PM »
Using two screen controllers is definitely a good sign, and much better than just one. It does make me wonder how much power it takes to operate these controllers though, if they're finding it somewhat difficult for just two. Hopefully it will end up supporting up to four if it's possible, but at least it won't be one.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5023 on: November 10, 2011, 06:59:39 PM »
Considering that the reports say that the framerate may drop even with 2 Wii U controllers, I don't see 4 happening.

I don't see the Xbox 3 leapfrogging it, it may be a slight improvement (but not that noticeable).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: November 10, 2011, 07:54:17 PM »
Considering that the reports say that the framerate may drop even with 2 Wii U controllers, I don't see 4 happening.

No it didn't.

it said and I
“At E3 they didn’t commit to this, but they know how important it is to make it technically feasible to support two screens. Even if that affects framerate, as a developer and player, I don’t care. It needs to work. Developers will design appropriate games for this. If you’re building a quiz game you’re not going to give a **** about the framerate.”

But it did say that 4 uMotes are unlikely, which is a shame. But I really think only 2 are necessary, although 4 would be nice.