Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3160813 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #3450 on: April 15, 2011, 04:54:19 PM »
I can't help but feel if the touchscreen rumor is true that it might, in fact, be a 3D screen.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: April 15, 2011, 04:59:52 PM »
I just had another thought.

Remember back in '05/'06 when Miyamoto said that he hopes to bypass the need for a TV(or something like that) and then there were rumors flying around about Revolution having a projector and not needing a TV anymore? There were also other rumors about it providing it's own 3D screen?

Have we hit some sort of time warp back to the future ...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: April 15, 2011, 05:02:11 PM »
I can't help but feel if the touchscreen rumor is true that it might, in fact, be a 3D screen.

I doubt that.  The 3D tech is currently to expensive to be a non-main screen plus it doesn't led itself to the type of glance and go  I imagine from a touch controller.

I just had another thought.
Remember back in '05/'06 when Miyamoto said that he hopes to bypass the need for a TV(or something like that) and then there were rumors flying around about Revolution having a projector and not needing a TV anymore? There were also other rumors about it providing it's own 3D screen?
Have we hit some sort of time warp back to the future ...

I could see it like that but wouldn't it be weird.  Having a console that you play like a handheld.  Be a centralized server type of deal.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:03:46 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: April 15, 2011, 05:04:11 PM »
We now have a leaked photo from anonymous sources of what the Wii 2 will look like:

is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: April 15, 2011, 05:07:42 PM »
But its so small.  I mean why should my Dol.. Action Figures get all the fun?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: April 15, 2011, 05:16:37 PM »
Can you put up a link to where you found the pic?

Looks like there's an update to the link BnM posted.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1162045p1.html
Sources now confirm to IGN the new Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console, saying it's like a miniature television. The screen size on the controller is also confirmed to be six inches in size.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:19:01 PM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: April 15, 2011, 05:18:57 PM »
I just had a thought.

Skyward Sword getting the TP treatment.

I doubt that will happen for several reasons.  The first reason being that even though Wii sales are down, the system still has a pretty active userbase.  In the Wii's fourth year, 2010, Mario Galaxy 2 sold over 6 million copies last year and Donkey Kong Country Returns sold over 4 million.  In comparison, the Gamecubes top selling games in it's fourth year, 2005, was Mario Party 7 only sold over 1 million copies.  Since the worst selling home console Zelda is Majora's Mask with over 3 million copies, I'd imagine Nintendo wants ever home console Zelda to be able to do better then 3 million copies.  That's why they had to make a Wii version of Twilight Princess because they knew the Gamecube couldn't do it.  In comparison, the Wii as Mario and DK have shown should be able to get Skyward Sword sales of at least 5 million copies so Nintendo doesn't have a reason to delay it for the next system since they can still make money on the Wii.

Plus the other reason is if the Wii successor is indeed going to be significantly more powerful then the PS3, Nintendo would basically have to remake the entire game in order to make it's graphics up to that quality.  Unlike what some people think, Nintendo does care a lot about graphics for their top games.  Twilight Princess was one of the most graphically impressive Gamecube titles and since the Wii was very similar to the Gamecube in hardware, they were able to port the game over to the Wii for it's launch and it still looked like one of the best games on the Wii at launch.

Hell even if the Wii's successor isn't as powerful as the rumors say it is and is only around what the 360/PS3 are, that would still make the jump a lightyear greater then the jump between the Gamecube and Wii.  That would still require Nintendo to spend way too much money to basically completely remake the graphics of a game that can still make them good money on the Wii in order to make sure it doesn't look like a complete joke when compared to other games at the Wii's successors launch.  I just don't see Nintendo doing that.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: April 15, 2011, 05:35:58 PM »
Plus the other reason is if the Wii successor is indeed going to be significantly more powerful then the PS3, Nintendo would basically have to remake the entire game in order to make it's graphics up to that quality.

This is a great point.  Would you have bought a Gamecube launch game that looked like an N64 title?  It would be a lot of work.  Though they could just can the Wii version outright and delay the game to make it strictly a Wii 2 title like how Eternal Darkness and Dinosaur Planet were moved from N64 projects to Cube games.

I mentioned this in the talkback thread but the comment about a miniture television makes me think more and more that this is like a iPad - a handheld system for the home.  It fits in well with the Japanese market.  But please, PLEASE, let it hook up to a TV if I want it to.  I really think such an idea is doomed to casual city.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: April 15, 2011, 05:48:19 PM »
They've been working on the game since 2006, who's to say that part of the reason they "delayed" it for this long wasn't because of ideas they were working on for Wii2 and who is to say that they didn't originally make all the assets in HD to begin with?

From what I've seen alot of Nintendo's textures actually upscale pretty good, which would lead me to believe that they originally were rendered at resolutions higher than what the system is displaying them at. Also Skyward Sword's visual style would benefit easily from an upscaling just like Wind Waker (have you seen those upscaled? they look great).

But if it's possible that Zelda might not come out till Xmas 2011 and the Wii2 is only a few months later, then why not TP it and use it as a quality 1st party launch title. How many of us would buy Zelda for Wii and then a few months later buy the Wii2 version for the extra dungeon(s), 1080p and unique control methods? I don't remember if the Wii version of TP came out before the GC version, but that's not really what I'm talking about when I say TP it anyway. I just want an upgraded version to hit the Wii2 at launch. Same with DQX if that's a a late arrival too. Can you imagine the launch frenzy in Japan if DQX hit as a dual release for Wii/2? Wii2 would be the hottest item out at the moment.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: April 15, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »
Forget Dual release just sell DQX in a Wii2 Bundle at launch and it will push units to the sky.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: April 15, 2011, 06:03:47 PM »
How many of us would buy Zelda for Wii and then a few months later buy the Wii2 version for the extra dungeon(s), 1080p and unique control methods?

Too many of us.  And you would all be suckers to do it.  Seriously, why buy a new system for a game you already own?  Buying a port for a few extras I can understand but to drop around $300 just to play an enhanced verison of a game you already have on the Wii?  That's just so crazy.  But if the Wii 2 has some other new game that encourages you to buy the system, well then it's not so insane to get the better version while you're at it.

But Nintendo released the Cube version of TP late for a reason.  They knew if the Cube version was sitting on the shelf next to the Wii version on Wii launch day, it would lose them some sales (and they didn't know it would be sold out Wii frenzy at the time).  They delayed the Cube version so that those who didn't know about it would buy their Wii for Zelda unaware.  Probably swindled a couple Cube owners who don't follow gaming news with that one.  So releasing a Wii version and then a Wii 2 version a bit later would probably not work as well.  Too much of a likely "Zelda?  I just bought this six months ago!" reaction.

Hell the 3DS isn't selling as well as they would like and it's lacking in original content.  Not an ideal strategy to replicate on the Wii 2.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: April 15, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »
Forget Dual release just sell DQX in a Wii2 Bundle at launch and it will push units to the sky.

Out of stock creates buzz but deosn't prevent 2nd hand sales before a restock in Japan.

It's why DQ usually happens at the end of a console's life cycle. Maximum ownership for maximum sales.
A dual release would service the 80+million Wii owners and the first few million Wii2 owners too, assuming that it wouldn't happen at Wii2 launch (early 2012) and instead a few months later (summer time, right after E3).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: April 15, 2011, 06:16:58 PM »
Stogi already posted part of this

https://twitter.com/jimreilly/status/58948527677648896
https://twitter.com/jimreilly/status/58991231140773889
There will be first and third party "Wii 2" games at E3. No clue if they'll be playable.
[...]
New Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console - like a miniature television.

But I can already tell you 3 of the 3rd Party companies that will have games for Wii2 @ E3

EA, Ubisoft & Capcom. All 3 of them have hinted at this announcement over the last 3 months.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: April 15, 2011, 06:20:47 PM »
Nintendo could release a calculator and EA and Ubisoft would have launch titles for it.  But Capcom is thankfully a third party whose support actually matters.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: April 15, 2011, 06:27:35 PM »
Stogi already posted part of this

https://twitter.com/jimreilly/status/58948527677648896
https://twitter.com/jimreilly/status/58991231140773889
There will be first and third party "Wii 2" games at E3. No clue if they'll be playable.
[...]
New Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console - like a miniature television.

But I can already tell you 3 of the 3rd Party companies that will have games for Wii2 @ E3

EA, Ubisoft & Capcom. All 3 of them have hinted at this announcement over the last 3 months.

Those three could not announce a single launch game and I wouldn't be surprised to find a title from each at launch plus Ridge Racer and Rayman.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: April 15, 2011, 06:38:02 PM »
All this "confirmed" news, I don't know how I feel about it. It's very exciting, but there still will be motion in the controller right?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: April 15, 2011, 06:40:41 PM »
All this "confirmed" news, I don't know how I feel about it. It's very exciting, but there still will be motion in the controller right?

If Good Ol' Touchie has motion control it would probably play out a lot like the SixaxiS.  Don't do that to Good Ol' Touchie.  Plus there is a part where Good Ol' Touchie is suppose to turn into a sensor bar.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3467 on: April 15, 2011, 06:41:06 PM »
When you throw your controller through your TV, you now get to break two screens at once.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: April 15, 2011, 06:42:50 PM »
When you throw your controller through your TV, you now get to break two screens at once.

NOoo Touchieeee....

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: April 15, 2011, 06:44:38 PM »

i put a screen in your controller, so that when you get mad and throw your controller at your screen...
you can break the screen in your controller by breaking your screen with your controller
xzibit.jpg

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: April 15, 2011, 06:47:29 PM »
I hope I don't have to go back to "hands stuck together" for all of my Wii2 games. I love the feeling of holding 2 separate pieces of hardware, and hope to play more things like Skyward Sword and Reed Steel 2 with motion plus or something better. 
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: April 15, 2011, 06:57:44 PM »
I don't think the Sixaxis method of motion control is really ideal.  I would figure that the remote would be an option.  If they don't have the remote they basically have just thrown the Wii Sports market away.  Hooray for me since I hate motion control, but it makes no sense from a business point of view.

Or is this not truly a Wii successor?  Is this a *gasp* third pillar?  So the Wii continues on as the casual machine it has been pigeonholed as while this new console is for core gamers.  So Nintendo figures they can't offer a system that works for both markets so they expand to three pillars: console, handheld, casual.  In theory the Wii could continue to entertain casuals for years.  It was as a more traditional videogame system that it had no more legs left.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: April 15, 2011, 07:01:22 PM »
Here is something that should be interesting.

E3 starts June 7th.

The last few E3's MS has gone first with a conference the evening before E3
Nintendo would usually kick the off the event the the morning of
Sony would be later on opening day.

This year however, Sony has booked June 6th @ 5pm:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/12/sony-e3-2011-press-conference-scheduled-for-june-6/
That is the day before E3 and earlier than MS usually does there conference which I believe was usually @ 6pm

This means that Nintendo could be last this year. But why would Sony opt to go first?
are they afraid they will get drowned out in Nintendo news? or maybe they had big news of their own and was hoping we would be too busy talking about that to notice the rest of the conference.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: April 15, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
I have a feeling that all three Companies will announce their new console this year. Just a guess.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3474 on: April 15, 2011, 07:32:02 PM »
The last couple of years, Microsoft's presser has been a 11am PDT start on the Monday. 5pm is the Ubisoft slot, normally.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.