Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3161414 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6000 on: March 21, 2012, 09:00:28 PM »
or... keyboard button combinations replaced by *wait for it*

.... *wait for it*

...icons!!!

I've never played an MMO, but I'm sure that if you really need to press combinations of buttons at the same time, they can be replaced bu a combination of buttons on the controller and icons on the touch screen.
no need to hit Shift-S for your spell book or whatever and then shift l for your lava spell when you could just touch your spell book and then tap your lava spell.

but at the same time I am also in the multi-touch uMote camp because there are lots of things that multi-touch could come in handy for.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6001 on: March 21, 2012, 09:58:23 PM »
as long as you know how to spell

Sadly, that seems to be too much to ask for from most young people these days.

I think Pokemon Teaches Typing should be a Wii U launch title.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: March 22, 2012, 04:15:57 AM »
I've never played an MMO, but I'm sure that if you really need to press combinations of buttons at the same time, they can be replaced bu a combination of buttons on the controller and icons on the touch screen.
no need to hit Shift-S for your spell book or whatever and then shift l for your lava spell when you could just touch your spell book and then tap your lava spell.

but at the same time I am also in the multi-touch uMote camp because there are lots of things that multi-touch could come in handy for.

Having played a bunch of World of Warcraft, WoW derivatives, and Korean grinders, there is a silly amount of actions and functions you can perform. Along with the ubiquitous 1-0 hot bar keys, there are all sorts of displays and menus you can access alongside the text chat. However, as with a lot of PC-centric  games, there are a lot of things you can do at any given moment but only a few things that would be meaningful in a given moment. With some smart design, the touchscreen should do just fine with a MMORPG.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Retro NOT working on DK, LOZ or MP
« Reply #6003 on: March 22, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »
According to a B3D member Li Mu Bai, they have heard that whatever Retro is working on, it is NOT DK, Metroid or Zelda, but visually it is "extrememly impressive".

which we knew it would be considering that Retro recently hired some people from (I think) Crytek and the Uncharted games on PS3.
So even though I've never played Star Tropics, I've heard great things and think a reimagining by Retro could be just what Nintendo needs.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: March 22, 2012, 09:51:13 AM »
Let's look at what I said...

... most of what we think of today as an MMO could not unless it had a console in mind already.  I do think the Wii U will allow for an MMO that is made with the console in mind to really outshine other console MMOs that have beend done before.

From BnM:

or... keyboard button combinations replaced by *wait for it*

.... *wait for it*

...icons!!!

Great, More Icons.  I currently have a 12 Hot Key Icons and those 12 Hot Keys are not enough when I'm tanking to use all the abilities that I use on a regular basis and the ones I need for emergency.  I have another 6 or so to the side of that.  Not to mention a lot of them I have to hit while moving.

I don't know how you would move and heal with the uMote.  The center screen would have to be dedicated to just the players in your raid in WoW.  If you made it so your heals would be smart targeted  you take away the fun of healing plus put you at a major advantage over the PC healers.

I will grant that I could make DPS work, maybe even Tanking work with some ability consolidation on Blizzards part, but healing I really couldn't do.

Back to my post.  Unless Blizzard wants to completely overhaul WoW with Mist of Pandaria, which they have already said is a clear no, they couldn't make the WiiU a true viable alternative to PC.

... most of what we think of today as an MMO could not unless it had a console in mind already.  I do think the Wii U will allow for an MMO that is made with the console in mind to really outshine other console MMOs that have beend done before.

There is no reason the WiiU can't do an MMO.  Like the Dragon Quest one.  It just that MMO needs to be designed from the ground up with the console in mind as well.  Any old Established PC Based MMO will have way to much baggage to survive being brought down to the WiiU in General.

...However, as with a lot of PC-centric  games, there are a lot of things you can do at any given moment but only a few things that would be meaningful in a given moment. With some smart design, the touchscreen should do just fine with a MMORPG.

That I agree with, but I believe this design has to occur when the game is made itself or it will not hold or feel right.

According to a B3D member Li Mu Bai, they have heard that whatever Retro is working on, it is NOT DK, Metroid or Zelda, but visually it is "extrememly impressive".

which we knew it would be considering that Retro recently hired some people from (I think) Crytek and the Uncharted games on PS3.
So even though I've never played Star Tropics, I've heard great things and think a reimagining by Retro could be just what Nintendo needs.

We could also look at Metroid Prime on the GC as well.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6005 on: March 22, 2012, 12:11:22 PM »

After watching some vids of Star Tropics, it looks like you'd basically be working with a blank canvas if you were trying to re-imagine it. Other than walking on land, travelling by submarine and heading into caves, you're pretty much free to do what ever you want, from an artistic stand point.

So yeah, I'd be down with that. Retro re-did Metroid and even with all its precedence, made it feel fresh and new. I can't imagine what they can do when given even more freedom. It might be what Ian has been screaming for (though we all agree with him).
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: March 22, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »

After watching some vids of Star Tropics, it looks like you'd basically be working with a blank canvas if you were trying to re-imagine it. Other than walking on land, travelling by submarine and heading into caves, you're pretty much free to do what ever you want, from an artistic stand point.

So yeah, I'd be down with that. Retro re-did Metroid and even with all its precedence, made it feel fresh and new. I can't imagine what they can do when given even more freedom. It might be what Ian has been screaming for (though we all agree with him).
There is the Weapons Yo-yo etc.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: March 22, 2012, 01:57:30 PM »
Yeah, but were those ever necessary for exploring? Ice, Wave, etc. were all necessary, but a yo-yo that does more damage? I think you can wipe the slate clean.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: March 22, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »
Star Tropics looks fun! Either that, Star Fox or something brand new would make me super happy.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: March 22, 2012, 02:37:36 PM »
Retro could do more with Star Fox than Star Tropics. A smaller developer could handle Star Tropics and Star Fox has the benefit of having all of Retro's talent focused on bringing backs its quality.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: March 22, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »
That doesn't make any sense.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: March 22, 2012, 02:52:47 PM »

That was my way of saying Retro should do the next Star Fox.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: March 22, 2012, 03:29:06 PM »
Retro could do more with Star Fox than Star Tropics. A smaller developer could handle Star Tropics and Star Fox has the benefit of having all of Retro's talent focused on bringing backs its quality.
That was my way of saying Retro should do the next Star Fox.
That being said I have to respectfully disagree with you there Kytim.  Star Fox is very set in what it really is at its core.  A Space on Rail Shooter.

Star Tropic on the other hand is a little more liberal at its core.  An Earthbound esque RPG.  There is a lot of room to move and fail with such a broad core concept.

Oh, and yes I think the Yo-Yo matter to the feel of the game.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: March 22, 2012, 03:35:39 PM »
Stop it, Kytim.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: March 22, 2012, 05:22:54 PM »
Star Tropics is basically a rougher version of Zelda.  It plays less like how you would expect a Nintendo game to play and more like some third party Zelda clone that lacks polish.

There isn't much reason to bring it back.  To be "authentic" it would more or less be a Zelda clone and do we need one of those?  And if Retro is to go in some new direction for it why limit them with an old ass licence that is so obscure the only people who will recognize the name are hardcore Nintendo nuts who would by a new Retro game anyway?

It's a lot like the Kid Icarus revival.  For years everyone was asking to bring it back but a lot of them had never played the original in the first place and what does it really do that Mario and Metroid don't already do better?  The reason people were calling for it is because it is a Nintendo franchise that has fallen through the cracks.  It's a "name".  Star Tropics is also an old Nintendo "name" and the demand for its return is the same: I've never played it but Nintendo made it so it must be good.  I'm sure the Mach Rider revival movement will be next.

It's like the desire for new content mixed with the desire to stick with the familiar.  A new Star Tropics is essentially something new but it is an established IP so it's a "safe" pick.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6015 on: March 22, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »
Not that I'm really attached to bringing back Star Tropics but your reasoning for not bringing it back is just as valid as a reason to bring it back. If it would essentially be a new IP, what's the harm in bringing it back? Fans get to have a nostalgia erection while everyone else just thinks it's new. I don't really see how anyone loses.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6016 on: March 22, 2012, 06:28:21 PM »
Star Tropics is basically a rougher version of Zelda.  It plays less like how you would expect a Nintendo game to play and more like some third party Zelda clone that lacks polish.

Just because that's how the original was doesn't mean that's how the sequel would have to be. I am sure with Retro at the helm they could take that (or pretty much any franchise, for that matter) and make it golden. These are the guys who revived the Metroid franchise and made it popular again. Maybe Metroid wasn't quite as dead as this one, but its the same principle. It seems to be Retro's mission to take these old franchises, dust them off, and then turn them into gold.
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: March 22, 2012, 06:49:56 PM »
Not that I'm really attached to bringing back Star Tropics but your reasoning for not bringing it back is just as valid as a reason to bring it back. If it would essentially be a new IP, what's the harm in bringing it back? Fans get to have a nostalgia erection while everyone else just thinks it's new. I don't really see how anyone loses.
I agree.  It could also lead to Star Tropics and Zoda's Revenge getting released on the Virtual Console to give more of the nostalgia.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: March 22, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »
I agree.  It could also lead to Star Tropics and Zoda's Revenge getting released on the Virtual Console to give more of the nostalgia.

Unless you're referring to the 3DS, those games are already on the Virtual Console.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6019 on: March 22, 2012, 07:48:02 PM »

The only real harm I can think of is that a completely new IP has no restrictions while an existing one forces you to go in somewhat of a familiar direction, even if it is just the setting and characters.  Of course that can be taken too far and you get something like Punch-Out!! on the Wii with it's amazing total of ONE new character.

I would prefer something completely new and most of those asking for a new Star Tropics don't even know what the hell they're asking for.  They have either never played the old games or they HAVE and fail to realize that they're either asking for a Zelda clone OR a game with virtually nothing in common with the old titles which seems rather pointless.

The whole thing just seems like a kneejerk "hey that's a name I've heard before" reaction.  If someone presented some argument about how they would like to see the story continue or how this type of gameplay could really benefit from newer hardware (3D, online, motion control, tablet) then we've got something.  I never **** on the requests for another Zelda in the style of Zelda II because those asking for it often explain why that gameplay could use another chance and demonstrate that they have actually played the game in the first place.

When Nintendo slept on Metroid for a gen the suggestions to make a new one had some meat to it.  "Metroid" wasn't just some word.  There was a large group of fans who had played the old games and had ideas for what a new version would have.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6020 on: March 22, 2012, 10:55:15 PM »
I'm with Ian on this one.  I think the game could be done, but I would rather it be made as a 3DS Retro style game, that embraces its heritage and allows it to grow.

The only plus Nintendo and Retro could have is Star Tropics is an existing IP with a fan base, so you don't have to fit gamers to fall in love with your new IP. 

New IPs are really risky.  You can have a completely original idea, executed well...and for some reason gamers just don't take to it.  Either, the market wasn't interested in the game, or the character wasn't appealing to gamers...something just doesn't click. 

And when games are so expensive to make, risk is the last thing you want on your mind. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6021 on: March 23, 2012, 12:08:09 AM »
If Retro managed to make the Star Tropics franchise awesome as hell and extremely popular, then one day people might look at Zelda and say that is just an inferior Star Tropics clone.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: March 23, 2012, 12:35:05 AM »
If Retro managed to make the Star Tropics franchise awesome as hell and extremely popular, then one day people might look at Zelda and say that is just an inferior Star Tropics clone.

Zelda Wii U is going to destroy everything in its path, Chozo.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: March 23, 2012, 01:01:50 AM »

Unless you're referring to the 3DS, those games are already on the Virtual Console.
How did I not know this?  Oh yeah, I haven't turned on my Wii in over a year.  And I haven't paid any attention to VC releases for even longer. 

One of these days I will turn it back on and play Skyward Sword.  When you buy it you should play it.  That's what I've heard.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6024 on: March 23, 2012, 01:05:04 AM »
LOL, both were released on the VC way back in 2008.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20