Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3155980 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #4350 on: May 27, 2011, 03:37:29 PM »

An HD Remix is a cheap recycling job that can get suckers to buy a game they already own for like a fourth time.  Of COURSE Nintendo is going to have that.

Though I was thinking about something when I was playing Chrono Trigger on the VC the other day.  In regards to TV formats the Wii is in the stone age.  Obviously Cafe will not be.  I figure the VC will just continue on Cafe.  But what happens with VC titles we bought on the Wii?  Aren't they going to look like balls on an HDTV?  Are they going to provide some way to upscale them?  I doubt any VC games you buy on Cafe are going to be restricted to a non-HD resolution.  So will I have to buy my old games again to get a better resolution?  How is it going to work?

Obviously retro games are going to look pixelated on an HDTV anyway but I wonder how this all going to be handled.
Maybe they will do something like the GB Player and add custom borders, or special café social stuff on the side and the game screen off to another side.

Maybe they will just upscale the image to fit the screen and it look identical to what it does now

Maybe the VC game will just stream to the controller screen instead and will look perfectly fine at 480p with an icon/status bar at the top or bottom of the controller screen.

p.s. i typed this post over an hour ago and forgot to send it :(

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: May 27, 2011, 05:59:41 PM »
Maybe the VC game will just stream to the controller screen instead and will look perfectly fine at 480p with an icon/status bar at the top or bottom of the controller screen.

If that was the only option that would SUCK.  If I want to play retro games on a handheld screen I'll go rebuy them all for the GBA and DS.  I want to play those games on a TV.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: May 27, 2011, 06:51:44 PM »

If that was the only option that would SUCK.  If I want to play retro games on a handheld screen I'll go rebuy them all for the GBA and DS.  I want to play those games on a TV.

It would kinda suck if it were the only option, but as I pointed out, there are quite a few options and I think the one you quoted (stream to the controller) would be the most obvious pairing with how they are currently doing it right now, which is upscaling the image.

And the best things about streaming to the controller would be the possibility of streaming 4 separate VC games to 4 separate controllers,
or even splitting the 4 player split screen amongst the 4 controller screens for a nice game of Mario Kart 64/Goldeneye/PD64 while the split screen still happens up on the main screen at the same time.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: May 27, 2011, 09:15:04 PM »
Isn't baseball widely known as America's past time? Stop stealing our ****, Japan.

Haven't we taken things like Sushi, Mario, Pokemon, Karate, etc. from them? I think its a fair cultural exchange.
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: May 27, 2011, 10:47:22 PM »
  I've been playing SNES games on my PS3. The greatest thing about it is that it upscales every game I throw at it to either 720p or 1080p (your pick).

It looks glorious coming out of my projector.

So I wouldn't worry about it looking like piss.

Well that's the question.  Will it upscale or will Nintendo not offer that ability out of either laziness or ignorance?
If the system doesn't upscale, your tv will so stop worrying about it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
The Last Story coming to Europe!?
« Reply #4355 on: May 28, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »
The Last Story to leave Japan!?
looks like it could be headed to Europe
http://jrpgtribe.com/news/a-change-of-heart-from-nintendo-the-last-story-is-coming-to-europe/
Our James McWhirter from over at the 3DS Tribe has some juicy gossip for us straight from the London MCM. Upon questioning the Nintendo representatives there this weekend, James was able to learn that we can expect to see The Last Story (Wii) released in Europe! It’s nice to see them change their minds about not releasing it here.

Let’s hope that we’ll see Pandora’s Tower released in Europe too.

..... NoA has a lot of announcement s to make at E3. This better be one of them.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:49:53 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: May 28, 2011, 04:45:20 PM »
I LOL @ EB because we all know it's not gonna happen.

I've never even played the game and I'm right beside everyone that has hoping for some sort of Mother Resurgence. I'm just not holding my breath waiting for it to happen.

I stopped holding out hope for that a long time ago, so my apologies as the joke flew way over my head.

An HD Remix is a cheap recycling job that can get suckers to buy a game they already own for like a fourth time.  Of COURSE Nintendo is going to have that.

I'm giving out my 2nd or 3rd applaud to this statement, as it's the most positive thing I can recall ever saying in my entire time on these boards.

To add my 2 cents to that topic, while it'd be a great idea in the sense that it could introduce older classics to a new generation who either;

-are ignorant little bitches and refuse to play old-school games because their NOT HD

-have no other means to check out the classics (in a legitimate way that allows the makers to fund future projects)

I personally don't feel the need to do so. I just find it rare that I'd want to re-experience one of the older games I've owned for years in HD, as if it would add anything to the experience. I'm stating this because I recently saw the new trailer for Ocarina of Time 3D and the entire time I thought "this looks exactly how I remember it". Yes, the textures are better, higher polygon count, plus it's in 3d (obviously) but it didn't thrill me into wanting to play the game again, or more importantly, purchase the game again. Through nostalgia tinted glasses, I remember Ocarina of Time as this gorgeous 3d game with visuals beyond anything out at that point in time. I know if I put the game on right now it'll be a blurry/jaggy mess, but still a good game that I'll be able to enjoy no matter how blurry.

tl;dr: HD remakes have their place and purpose but chances of me being into it are slim. Cite all the benefits you want (like PD fixing frame rate issues) but it's just not for me. I'll pass.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: May 28, 2011, 05:03:30 PM »
I'm all for the HD remixes myself, so long as the prices are kept reasonable and the conversion is well-done.  For one thing, SD games for the most part look terrible on HD Televisions, so by giving these games that extra coat of paint it gives them much greater longevity.  It also allows for new controller inputs, the occasional bug fix, online multiplayer if it wasn't available previously, and little perks like trophy/achievement support to incentivise previous owners to go through the games again.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #4358 on: May 28, 2011, 05:46:35 PM »
The Last Story to leave Japan!?
looks like it could be headed to Europe
http://jrpgtribe.com/news/a-change-of-heart-from-nintendo-the-last-story-is-coming-to-europe/
Our James McWhirter from over at the 3DS Tribe has some juicy gossip for us straight from the London MCM. Upon questioning the Nintendo representatives there this weekend, James was able to learn that we can expect to see The Last Story (Wii) released in Europe! It’s nice to see them change their minds about not releasing it here.

Let’s hope that we’ll see Pandora’s Tower released in Europe too.

..... NoA has a lot of announcement s to make at E3. This better be one of them.
Ah, ha. Finally. Maybe now we'll get an announcement from NoA at e3. A little over a week to go, folks! Excited much!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: May 29, 2011, 10:37:32 AM »
Is it known yet if the Nintendo World Store in NYC will be holding an event? I'd love to go and experience the hype train 1st hand second hand, instead of checking in on the forums a day or two after the event for recaps.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: May 29, 2011, 10:52:51 AM »
Is it known yet if the Nintendo World Store in NYC will be holding an event? I'd love to go and experience the hype train 1st hand second hand, instead of checking in on the forums a day or two after the event for recaps.
Why can't you watch it live with us online?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: May 29, 2011, 11:48:30 AM »

Does no one read the news stories on the site?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26428

Quote from: The goddamned front page of this site.
Starting at 11 a.m. on June 7, Nintendo and StreetPass NYC will host an event featuring tournaments, E3 bingo, and AR cake. They will also showcase the Nintendo Press Conference, which begins at 12 p.m. EST, on a large screen.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4362 on: May 29, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »
Of course! I read all the news the BnM posts in the thread.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: May 29, 2011, 02:01:28 PM »
Oh, you're so banned.

J.P. Corbran

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: May 29, 2011, 02:25:01 PM »
Why can't you watch it live with us online?

Cuz if there is no event to go to, I'll be at work and won't be able to watch it (i'm assuming it's on a weekday, I haven't checked the calendar to see when the 7th falls on)

Does no one read the news stories on the site?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26428

Quote from: The goddamned front page of this site.
Starting at 11 a.m. on June 7, Nintendo and StreetPass NYC will host an event featuring tournaments, E3 bingo, and AR cake. They will also showcase the Nintendo Press Conference, which begins at 12 p.m. EST, on a large screen.

No, no I don't. Haven't since PGC...

To be fair to the site, at the time I used PGC for all my nintendo news, then news went dry and I stumbled into the forums. I'd never been on a forum before and didn't "get it" at first, but eventually I read through some entertaining threads and realized news/and rumors were more regularly posted here, so I lurked until 2006

Sorry NWR..

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4365 on: May 29, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »
I'm totally banning BnM so you all can't rely on him for news anymore. Or maybe I'll just start enforcing that ban on discussing video games in the forums I laid down a week or two ago. I'll drive traffic to the front page if I have to dismantle the forums entirely to do so I tells ya!

J.P. Corbran

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: May 30, 2011, 01:51:29 AM »
Or just make the forum the front page.  Saves you time and effort.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: May 30, 2011, 11:30:59 AM »
I'm totally banning BnM so you all can't rely on him for news anymore. Or maybe I'll just start enforcing that ban on discussing video games in the forums I laid down a week or two ago.

I'll drive traffic to the front page if I have to dismantle the forums entirely to do so I tells ya!
Or just make the forum the front page.  Saves you time and effort.

[

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: May 30, 2011, 02:28:03 PM »
I'm totally banning BnM so you all can't rely on him for news anymore. Or maybe I'll just start enforcing that ban on discussing video games in the forums I laid down a week or two ago. I'll drive traffic to the front page if I have to dismantle the forums entirely to do so I tells ya!

I know your joking but NWR should just make BnM staff, or at least update the rumours post on NWR with the stuff he's posting
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 02:30:29 PM by Lithium »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Project Café Spec Sheet? Only time will tell.
« Reply #4369 on: May 30, 2011, 03:14:19 PM »
I'm just gonna drop this here.

originally posted on the consolewars forums, supposedly from a German Dev
No idea how reliable this is, but sometimes you just never know.

Chip names "Wolf" & "Fox"
Gecko & Flipper = Project Dolphin, Hollywood & Broadway = Revolution, Wolf & Fox = Project Café
Nonte of the chip names lead to anything directly related to them, but could we be seeing that next Gen Star Fox game that everyone has been wanting from Nintendo?
I figure all the 3Dmakes on 3DS are appetizers to a real update... at least that is what I hope.
OoT3D should wet the appetite for some Skyward Sword and StarFox64 3D should be the building block for a full 1080p Café update done internally by Nintendo themselves.

Custom RV770 w/ 1398 GFLOPs
The 360 is doing 240 GFLOPs at peak, so Café doing 1398 is almost 6x the performance of the 360 graphically. Also at 1398 GFLOPs it actually reaches the performance of 4890 which is above the 4770/4850 we were expecting.

Quad Core PPC CPU clocked @ 3.5Ghz
Original rumor called for a TriCore, but that could have just been early dev kits. Would certainly far outclass the 360 with not only a extra core, but all clocked higher and much more efficient. (I'll have to look up flops on Xenos or whatever the 360 CPU was called)

1.5GBs of RAM w/ 16MB of eDram
I would be happy with this amount. That is 3x as much as either current gen HD console. 512MB of fast system ram and 1GB of fast video RAM. Anything over 2GB was unrealistic if you ask me, so I would be happy with 1.5 (happier with 2GB though)

HDD included (250GB/320GB) & SD card expansion.
If that is the case, then let the 3rd party flood gates come crashing down. There will be no excuses as to why the Café couldn't and shouldn't receive each and every game that is not exclusive. I just hope it is a non-proprietary HDD (assuming any of this is true) that is easily user swappable like on PS3.

Bluray based Disc capable of 50GB (dual layer)
sounds good. exactly what was expected. Sticking with DVD would be a major oversight and a crippling feature when it's likely that MS will also join the High Density disc storage party that Bluray provides.

If this "Spec Sheet" turns out to be the real thing (and I'm not even suggesting that it is), then I wouldn't be disappointed in Nintendo's offerings based on what I'm seeing here. We would actually have a very VERY capable system. Something to truly be excited over.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:50:06 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Project Café Spec Sheet? Only time will tell.
« Reply #4370 on: May 30, 2011, 03:18:06 PM »
I'm just gonna drop this here.

originally posted on the consolewars forums, supposedly from a German Dev
No idea how reliable this is, but sometimes you just never know.

I notice that those specs don't seem to indicate that the device would play DVD or Blu-Ray movie/TV discs.  That seems like a rather annoying oversight if you don't already have a Blu-Ray player.  I definitely approve of that 250/320 GB storage, though.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 03:19:38 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: May 30, 2011, 03:23:24 PM »
I'm relieved to see 2.5" hard drive with 250gb /320gb capacity is mentioned in those specs. This shoots down the previous rumor of it not having a hard drive. This is very good news, because there's no way it would be competitive with just SD cards for storage.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: May 30, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »
That seems like a rather annoying oversight if you don't already have a Blu-Ray player.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo left it out, because in order to include it they would have to pay licensing fees to Sony which would cut into the profits they would make from the hardware. This is why they didn't allow DVD playback on the Wii because even though it would have been trivial to implement they would have been forced to pay $15 per Wii unit to the DVD consortium for the license to do that.

You can be sure Homebrew hackers will find a way to unofficially add Blu-ray/DVD movie playback though... ;)
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: May 30, 2011, 03:33:07 PM »
I updated my post with my thoughts on the "spec sheet"

Also, I think Nintendo should just have an app you can buy that unlocks the Bluray playback. The cost of the app would cover the Licensing fee and only those that would use it would pay for it. Win/Win situation and all parties involved are happy.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: May 30, 2011, 03:57:15 PM »
HDD included (250GB/320GB) & SD card expansion.
If that is the case, then let the 3rd party flood gates come crashing down. There will be no excuses as to why the Café couldn't and shouldn't receive each and every game that is not exclusive. I just hope it is a non-proprietary HDD (assuming any of this is true) that is easily user swappable like on PS3.

I'm thinking Nintendo may go with a proprietary hard drive just for anti-homebrew/piracy concerns. They sure don't want what happened to the PS3 to happen to their next console. Fortunately though, 250gb/320gb should be plenty, especially with the ability to expand it via SD. I'm just relieved its not the mere 8gb of onboard flash like an older rumor suggested...
is your sanity...