Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3141681 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #5150 on: December 01, 2011, 04:31:52 PM »
Not only were they easy to please, but they were eager to be pleased.

Good call Nintendo. Good Call.

Ok. It's funny again.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #5151 on: December 02, 2011, 09:36:36 AM »
Nintendo is only missionary though. Good for a quick fix, but definately not hardcore (haha, I hate that term in relation to gaming, but is good with sex). Nintendo, like 360 & PS3, really need to be getting it on as much as possible. And in the end while a larger stable is desireable, those who get it going on the most wins.

Yes, Nintendo was the attractive tall blonde, able to sweet talk his way into even the church lady's pants. Now the ladies realize he isn't as well rounded as they thought he was. Nintendo hasn't even looked at a kama sutra. As he calls the numbers in his little black book, more and more he's hearing "I'm washing my hair tonight".

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: December 02, 2011, 09:45:53 AM »

Yes, I'm Nintendo.
And...
Yes, Those are Actually My Pants.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:25:40 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Xenoblade April 2012 in the US?
« Reply #5153 on: December 02, 2011, 10:37:26 AM »
Well, this is an interesting rumor: Xenoblade's been marked (apparently) for an April release as a GameStop exclusive.

Huh.               

I hope that "exclusive" is just some extra content and not the whole game.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: December 02, 2011, 01:58:24 PM »
Hooray!!!!!!!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline yosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Xenoblade April 2012 in the US?
« Reply #5155 on: December 02, 2011, 02:40:27 PM »
Well, this is an interesting rumor: Xenoblade's been marked (apparently) for an April release as a GameStop exclusive.

Huh.               

I hope that "exclusive" is just some extra content and not the whole game.

Just saw that on a different forum earlier this morning. Good news even though I don't know anything about the game and probably won't buy it since my backlog for Wii is way too big.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: December 02, 2011, 03:24:26 PM »
Supposedly the best RPG of the gen version regardless of console.

It will probably be the last game I buy for Wii considering how big my back log is too.

Offline yosh

• View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: December 02, 2011, 03:37:51 PM »
Supposedly the best RPG of the gen version regardless of console.

It will probably be the last game I buy for Wii considering how big my back log is too.

I just noticed Mario Party 9's release date on the pic that you posted and I'm super pumped for that game. I love Mario Party games even though after 5 it went down hill and 8 was complete ****. I'm really confident that Nintendo will produce a quality game with it seeing as how later on in the Wii's life cycle Nintendo has just pumped out excellent games. I'll probably GameFly xenoblade or something.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: December 02, 2011, 03:57:26 PM »

Not to mention that the Wii U will be out two months later in June 2012 (I'm hoping).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:02:53 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline yosh

• View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: December 02, 2011, 04:26:06 PM »

Not to mention that the Wii U will be out two months later in June 2012 (I'm hoping).

I highly doubt that. It will most likely be pushed back until November since that's holiday shopping season.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5160 on: December 02, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »

I highly doubt that. It will most likely be pushed back until November since that's holiday shopping season.

probably as early as August though
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: December 02, 2011, 06:40:34 PM »
Nintendo generally likes to launch during the holidays (who doesn't?), but this year may be different because Nintendo has a chance to get a jump on the competition and it would make sense to launch as early as possible to give Nintendo more time to dig in before the other systems appear. If they wait until the end of 2012 and if the xbox 3 and PS4 come out in 2013 then that doesn't give them much of a head start, but launching in June would give them a few more months and that can make all the difference.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: December 02, 2011, 07:00:29 PM »
I would hope that Sept would be the latest they will launch. (9/16 or 9/23, both on a Sunday)

That will allow them to get the "Day1"ers out of the way, build up word of mouth, get the initial batch of launch titles out of the way and prepare for the holidays with a huge restock and big holiday titles.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 07:02:24 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: December 02, 2011, 07:29:51 PM »
June would be perfect because it would be right after E3 so there would be a lot of hype to propel the sales forward.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Wii U Specs: 768MB of eDRAM & 3Ghz QCore PPC?
« Reply #5164 on: December 02, 2011, 07:31:16 PM »
I call BS on this... as I'm not even sure it's possible (financially mostly).
http://wiiudaily.com/2011/12/wii-u-has-quad-core-3ghz-cpu-768-mb-of-ram/

According to the source, the Wii U specs are:

Quad Core, 3 GHz PowerPC-based 45nm CPU, very similar to the Xbox 360 chip.
768 MB of DRAM “embedded” with the CPU, and shared between CPU and GPU
Unknown, 40nm ATI-based GPU

768MB of eDRAM on the CPU....
I know several sources have stated a "metric tonne" on embedded RAM, but Good lawd that a lotta memory!

for reference, the Xbox 360 had 10MB of eDRAM
and best estimates for Wii U were around 32MB with topping out at 64MB of embedded RAM. 768MB is waaaaaay beyond any of that.

I also know that IBM said they have a new technique for embedding much more Memory than any of their competitiors, but come on. Really!? 768MB of embedded RAM, and they haven't even said if that is all the ram or not. what if there is still another 1GB of regular GDDR3 or something. But they do seem to imply that there will only be embedded RAM, so I'm not so sure the writer or the source knows exactly what they are talking about.

The source also mentions that Nintendo has been testing two versions of the console, one with 768 MB of RAM, and one with 1 GB. The RAM is also made by IBM and is embedded with the processor on the same die/silicon, which results in more bandwidth.

These were the specs that Nintendo showed developers around March 2011, so it’s unknown how close to the final specs these are, considering there’s a year until the console is scheduled for release.

But if there is that much embedded RAM and there is still an regular pool of ram ontop of that.. then.. then.. well, let's just say that Nintendo will hopefully make E3 2012 one to never forget.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:19:28 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: December 02, 2011, 07:32:37 PM »
Hey BNM, I already posted that. Same link and everything.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: December 02, 2011, 07:44:03 PM »
The question that needs to be answered before this rumor can be taken seriously is, how much would it cost, using IBM's new embedding process, to include 768MB of eDRAM on the CPU?

if it was too expensive before to include more than a few MB on the chip, what was the major game changing breakthru that IBM had?

I think the Wii had 3MB 1T-SRAM
the Xbox360 had 10MB eDRAM

The Wii U will have 76.8x the amount of embedded RAM as the previous generation and all the sources around the net that have seen dev kits haven't said anything about having that much embedded DRAM?

I don't know how reliable forum sources are, but from what I've heard, these are the Wii U specs:

TriCore Power based CPU (2 thread per core) <possible asymmetrical core power>
"atleast" 1GB of RAM (as there are atleast 2GB's in the Dev kits)
(there was no eDRAM in the dev kit as far as the source knew)
dev kit GPU was a RV770LE that had 640+SPU's (360 has 240SPU's as a power reference)

so I'm not sure what to make of this new rumor as it goes directly against what I've been hearing and what has been repeated as fact by forum sources that have seen, or know someone that has a devkit.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:33:52 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: December 02, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »
Since i brought up the IBM process, I wanted to point this out.

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/32970.wss
IBM's embedded DRAM technology provides the most dense on-chip dynamic memory available today, enabling more than 1Gb of memory on a single chip. IBM eDRAM performance has advanced to a point where it can replace conventional on-chip static memory (SRAM) in many applications, taking up 60% less space on the chip, and consuming up to 90% less power.

Remember that 1Gb = 1 Gigabit = 128MB

So I think something was lost in translation here.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: December 02, 2011, 08:11:28 PM »
So then let's say it's actually 768 Megabits. That would be much more in line with this tech, but still nearly ten times the 360 at 96 MB.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: December 02, 2011, 08:14:11 PM »
Keep in mind Moore's Law...
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: December 02, 2011, 08:15:59 PM »
So then let's say it's actually 768 Megabits. That would be much more in line with this tech, but still nearly ten times the 360 at 96 MB.
That would make much more sense as the frame buffer for a 1080p image plus 2 or more uPads @ 480p are gonna need the additional eDRAM.

768MB of eDRAM just sounds ridiculous regardless of how awesome it would be for Nintendo to harness some dark IBM magic should it have actually existed.

Keep in mind Moore's Law...

96MB-128MB eDRAM would fall into Moore's Law* if we use the 360's 10MB eDram as a base

2005 - 10MB
2007 - 20MB
2009 - 40MB
2011 - 80MB
2012 - 120MB

Quote from: wiki
Moore's law describes a long-term trend in the history of computing hardware: the number of transistors that can be placed inexpensively on an integrated circuit doubles approximately every two years.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:22:32 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: December 02, 2011, 08:26:10 PM »
Yeah, based on Moore's law it's about right where it should be, maybe a little bit under, assuming they're going for next-gen and not just PS360 1.5.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #5172 on: December 02, 2011, 08:30:48 PM »
Don't forget that IBM is only using 45nm tech for the Wii U. Moore's law is a consequence of a decrease in transistor size. The Xbox 360 started at 90nm, went to 65nm, and then to 45nm with the 360 S. The Wii U isn't going to continue the die shrink, so you can't expect the full range of Moore's law to take effect here.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: December 03, 2011, 01:35:06 AM »
As long as we are all in consensus that something is very wrong about this rumor.

768MB is more likely 768Mb (96MB) if it's embedded as is repeated several times
and if they do end up upping it to 1Gigabit as the IBM PR says they are capable of, then that really means 128MB+, not 1 GigaBYTE of embedded RAM. that is just absurdly expensive in both price and space.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: December 03, 2011, 01:43:26 AM »
yeah this news seems like its mainly on the cpu. So its likely in Megabits. So its still up in the air what type of ram it will have and how powerful the gpu will be. This seems pretty right.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post