Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3159379 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #3650 on: April 21, 2011, 09:15:36 AM »
If Nintendo bucks the 'Motion' trend, I would be very surprised. They have easily the most recognizable names in terms of motion controls, I do not see them abandoning such a successful adventure.

This screen controller does seem to be the opposite of motion, leading me to believe it is separate from an updated Wiimote. There is still a chance though, that Nintendo is cleverer than all of us and made both work together, however small.

Either way, I see both options being present in the box at launch, and thus, nothing to worry about.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3651 on: April 21, 2011, 11:37:58 AM »
Chozo Ghost:  Actually that is not exactly true.

If Nintendo notified developers ahead of time ideas of what specs would be in the game, they could have started designing levels, characters, art, music, and probably even program an engine to use...then port it to the devkits.  This would allow for a holiday or early 2012 launch quite easily.  Honestly at launch all you really need is 6 good games...but if you could get about 20 good games in a launch window you are golden.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: April 21, 2011, 12:02:46 PM »
Chozo Ghost:  Actually that is not exactly true.

If Nintendo notified developers ahead of time ideas of what specs would be in the game, they could have started designing levels, characters, art, music, and probably even program an engine to use...then port it to the devkits.  This would allow for a holiday or early 2012 launch quite easily.  Honestly at launch all you really need is 6 good games...but if you could get about 20 good games in a launch window you are golden.
This is what I'm hoping. Not everyone needed to be filled in but those closer to them would certainly have been given a heads up. If it's designed in a certain way ports of recent games and verisons of upcoming games should be very possible I believe.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: April 21, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »
I'm expecting a few ports of games releasing on PS360 at the same time.
Also quite a few exclusives as smart 3rd parties know that new consoles are the perfect time to introduce new IP's.

But there is no way I would expect them to do a launch this year. this is the year of 3DS (hopefully) and next (early?) year will be Wii2.

I also hope that Nintendo really makes a significant jump over current hardware (which would be nice considering the rumored streaming features of Wii2) and that MS/Sony really do wait until 2014 to release their follow-up consoles(as reported by Kotaku).

MS has seen a very good up-tick in HW sales that just might last for another year which could mean a big push towards profitability as they slowly chip at the debt from the years before 2008. I'm sure they would want to squeeze this gen a little longer if possible. Lasting till 2014 would put them a year shy of an actual 10 year plan with the 360. Unfortunately, I don't see them letting Nintendo have 2 years to themselves even if it means they rush out a system to launch end of 2013.

Sony needs this gen to last as long as possible for them as they have MAJOR losses to make up and probably couldn't afford another system launch in the next 24 months without incurring even more major losses ontop of the ones they already have. Besides, they would want to see what Nintendo has planned, how well it works and then find a way to do the same only "better" for when they launch, so coasting till 2014 if possible is something I'm sure they would love to do. Unfortunately, I don't see them letting MS have another year headstart on them.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Where There's Smoke, There's Fire - Miyamoto on Project Cafe
« Reply #3654 on: April 21, 2011, 12:40:46 PM »
Miyamoto on Project Cafe: "Where there's smoke, there's fire" ;) ;)
http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_293_shigeru-miyamoto-notre-interview-integrale
It's in French, but it's the whole interview that the Super Mario 3DS story came from
Quote from: Google Translated
Q: Finally to conclude with the objects, I've brought a cup of ... coffee! You'll understand that I am referring to the famous "Coffee Project", the Wii 2 in an uproar for several days on the net ...

A: Yes, I saw found rumors speak of "Coffee". At the time I want to say it's normal. You know Nintendo, like all other manufacturers, our job is to design new machines. We believe it takes 5 years to make the R & D interesting. Afterwards, I admit that there is no smoke without fire. We must realize that we spend our time developing in-house gaming consoles. Some of you will ever see. With us, as we do not know exactly where we are going and when do we get out our next console, we do not disclose publicly. But we should not believe everything we read...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: April 21, 2011, 12:48:45 PM »
Miyamoto on Project Cafe: "Where there's smoke, there's fire" ;) ;)
http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_293_shigeru-miyamoto-notre-interview-integrale
It's in French, but it's the whole interview that the Super Mario 3DS story came from
Quote from: Google Translated
Q: Finally to conclude with the objects, I've brought a cup of ... coffee! You'll understand that I am referring to the famous "Coffee Project", the Wii 2 in an uproar for several days on the net ...

A: Yes, I saw found rumors speak of "Coffee". At the time I want to say it's normal. You know Nintendo, like all other manufacturers, our job is to design new machines. We believe it takes 5 years to make the R & D interesting. Afterwards, I admit that there is no smoke without fire. We must realize that we spend our time developing in-house gaming consoles. Some of you will ever see. With us, as we do not know exactly where we are going and when do we get out our next console, we do not disclose publicly. But we should not believe everything we read...

I choose to translate that as yes all of Project Cafe rumors are true, for an internal game system that will never see the light of day in that form.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: April 21, 2011, 01:16:13 PM »
I'm also sure that this next pic is a fake, but this rumor thread don't discriminate.

http://i.imgur.com/zuH7x.jpg

That screen doesn't look 6", but I like the ideas behind the screen in the controller.

Another pic

Innovation Reinvented

Project Cafe is simply the most development friendly SDK the industry has ever seen. Deliver unparalleled next generation performance at current generation cost. It doesn't get any easier than this.

-easy portability from PC, Xbox 360
-anytime ?live? update - ?past ? ?
-Integrated ? ? ? framework
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:22:44 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: April 21, 2011, 01:53:14 PM »
I'm also sure that this next pic is a fake, but this rumor thread don't discriminate.

http://i.imgur.com/zuH7x.jpg

That screen doesn't look 6", but I like the ideas behind the screen in the controller.

Another pic

Innovation Reinvented

Project Cafe is simply the most development friendly SDK the industry has ever seen. Deliver unparalleled next generation performance at current generation cost. It doesn't get any easier than this.

LMAO
According to that slide we're talking about a Software Developement Kit akin to .Net or XNA.  In fact Nintendo might just do something along the lines of implementing CLR for Linux.  That would be brilliant.  It be like Wine for linux gets you very close you just might need to tweak a little thats a great idea.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Kotaku: 6.2" Screen & 8 Buttons
« Reply #3658 on: April 21, 2011, 02:49:03 PM »
Kotaku: 6.2" screen & 8 buttons
http://kotaku.com/#!5794424/fresh-details-of-wii-2s-unusual-controller-and-why-it-wont-kill-the-wii-remote

I will assume that it looks pretty close to the CCPro mock up that IGN released.

They also brought up that you could use a "wiimote style" controller in multiplayer so that 1 player could have a screen and the other player(s) could use the "Wiimote+ style" controllers.

One example I can think of for this style of play would be a Rainbow 6 super spy type game, where Player 1 w/ the screen runs tactical support and computer hacking missions, while another players with a "wiimote" runs through the compound protecting him by killing badguys using the pointer as his gun in FPS mode on the big screen.

Pacman VS and 4Swords would be 2 more and probably better examples though.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 11:05:10 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #3659 on: April 21, 2011, 02:52:08 PM »

Anytime live update past release

Reads like something thrown together, highly dubious.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3660 on: April 21, 2011, 02:55:06 PM »
The last one is "Integrated AI Live framework"

This slide is bs.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: April 21, 2011, 03:09:15 PM »
The last one is "Integrated AI Live framework"

This slide is bs.

I'm almost sure of that and that's why I quoted the previous pic it's based on with the comment of "I'm sure it's fake but...."

I don't want to ignore any "rumor" or "leak" and then find out that it was true later and I didn't post it in here. So I throw everything that is "possible" even if ridiculous in here and we can sort out the facts later.

Supposedly Nintendo is also Live Streaming their Investors Meeting on Tue. April 26th (nite of the 25th for us in the US), so we don't have long to wait to see if some or any of this is true.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: April 21, 2011, 03:18:43 PM »
Funny thing:

AiLive - the actual motion control middleware
Ai-Live - what the slide has
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: April 21, 2011, 03:24:19 PM »
Funny thing:

AiLive - the actual motion control middleware
Ai-Live - what the slide has

I remember hearing about the first one a long time ago.  Considering it looks as Nintendo user their software integration in the next API be expensive but cool.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: April 21, 2011, 03:56:46 PM »
AiLive helped design the MotionPlus. I'm pretty sure that software is already part of the package.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
IGN: The N Stream (Wii2) Details "confirmed"?
« Reply #3665 on: April 21, 2011, 04:25:08 PM »
Project Cafe: The Tech Behind Nintendo's Next Console
New pricing, hardware, design, and release information uncovered.
Quote from: IGN
According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could have a retail cost of anywhere between $350 and $400, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November.
[...]
Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor. Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster. The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature.

In terms of the design of the console itself, the overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360 and the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

As reported last week, it will indeed utilize controllers with integrated touchscreens and be capable of streaming games to each controller, though given the power of the system, could also feasibly provide a virtualized console for each individual unit.

Finally, Nintendo is considering naming the console Stream, though it is potentially one of several names currently being vetted by the company.

The N Stream - I kinda like it.

4 controllers with screens = 4 different VC/StreamWare games being played w/o the TV - I really like that

Let me summarize it for easier reading;
- Retail cost between $350-400
- Shipping to begin this Oct.from Foxxcon. Earliest release is Mid Oct. - Early Nov. Likely to wait until 2012 to build up stock
- Based on revamped version of AMD's R700
- custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, clocked higher than that of 360 (3.2Ghz)
- 1080p & potential for stereoscopic 3D (just like the GC & Wii)
- Size of console will be comparable to original Xbox 360. System is likely to resemble a modernized version of SNES
- given the power of the system, could feasibly provide a virtualized console for each individual unit
- "Stream" is being considered as a final name
- Nintendo refuses to comment
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 11:05:35 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: April 21, 2011, 04:35:20 PM »
Didn't Foxconn do a board for Nintendo before? (I'm thinking GCN.)

I'm sad if this is true they stuck with 3 Cores but, I can see why.
I'm also sad that they would go with the R700 series instead of the R900 (Current Gen) or R800 (Last gen).  That puts them 2 gens old to a modern PC...

Stream is way to close to Steam to be used.  Especially in the hardcore space.  Though something like The Flow could be used.  Old Console Multi Love Love System :D

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: April 21, 2011, 04:42:38 PM »
Nintendo's Wii Stream

Let it's warmth run all over you.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: April 21, 2011, 04:50:02 PM »
The worst thing about this news is that it's as big as the original Xbox 360. I hope it doesn't look it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: April 21, 2011, 04:57:16 PM »
The worst thing about this news is that it's as big as the original Xbox 360. I hope it doesn't look it.
Yeah, I'm sort of curious why it be so big.

Nintendo's Wii Stream

Let it's warmth run all over you.
I was going to photoshop out a picture of the Service Mario with the Bow tie for this but, I'll just say it.
"In related news: Nintendo to open Carpet Cleaning service.  Can older straight from console."

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: April 21, 2011, 05:20:10 PM »
They should call it the xStream

launch title will be the new 1080

1080 xStream

Super Smash Bros. xStream

F-Zero xStream

it'll be great, like Super and 64 & Wii all before it.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: April 21, 2011, 05:21:33 PM »
They should call it the xStream

launch title will be the new 1080

1080 xStream

Super Smash Bros. xStream

F-Zero xStream

it'll be great, like Super and 64 & Wii all before it.
Lord I remember the whole Extreme kick...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: April 21, 2011, 06:20:09 PM »

The same article also said it resembles a "revamped SNES". So I guess it will be something like an SNES which is the size of an Xbox. But I agree, I don't want it to be that large. It doesn't even make sense either, because technology is supposed to be getting smaller. I'm sure there will be a Slim version a year or two down the road, though.

The price of $350-$400 is in line with my expectations, though. I don't see how it could have been $299 or less, and I don't think we would want it that way anyway because if it cost that little it couldn't be very powerful. A budget console which isn't a huge leap over the competition would be a bad move, so I'm relieved that doesn't appear to be the case.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 06:25:37 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: April 21, 2011, 06:46:47 PM »
I don't know what to think about these controller rumors.  I like the remote and was looking forward to some great motion tech that takes advantage of their experience and their ability to see what works in the competition's systems.  I just don't see a screen fitting in with motion at all.
I share this sentiment. The Wiimote and Nunchuk combo is a great controller that just needs some tweaking, mostly in the form of better motion detectors. There is still a lot of potential for it.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: April 21, 2011, 07:14:18 PM »
SNES influenced design?  Okay this is just a big rib, right?  IGN is just making stuff up to jerk me around, aren't they?

$350 to $400 is a little more than I would like to pay though I could do $350.  Still it suggests they're not going to skimp on the hardware and are willing to go with a higher price to have something that will last for the long haul.  It does fit the 3DS pricing.  Knowing Nintendo this is something they could get away with selling for $300 but they just have to have that much more of a profit margin.  Still better in the longrun from us getting a $250 console sold at $300 though.

Wii Stream is so utterly ridiculous you figure this is a joke.  It's like blatant defiance in reaction to all the Wii jokes.  If they use Nintendo Stream my concern would be brand confusion with Steam, which is the same market (but I can imagine Nintendo, in their bubble, being completely unaware of the existence of).

I am sure at the very last the Wiimote w/ Motion+ built-in will be part of the standard for this system.  It would be nutty for Nintendo to ditch it.  Why can't they just offer two controller designs?  There isn't really any other way to go unless you ditch one of them.  You can't morph motion control and traditional controls into the same controller without it comprimising at least one of those designs.  Keeping them seperate is the way to do it right.