The theme song of which is AC/DC's "Back In Black"
Nintendo released their earnings report for the 12 months ended March 31 overnight, and the company is back on the happy side of the profit line.
Although the company saw a small loss in the January - March quarter (6.8 billion yen operating loss, 17.6bn yen net loss), it wasn't enough to put them in loss territory for the year. Operating income - the income from actual sales of products - totaled 24.77bn yen, and a net income inclusive of currency fluctuations of 41.843bn yen. At current market rates, that translates to a operating income for the year of approximately US$208 million and a net income of US$351 million. This is the first net profit for Nintendo since the 2011 fiscal year.
Sales of hardware and Wii U software were just below the company's guidance, but digital sales were extremely high and the addition of Amiibo appears to have had a noticeable impact on the bottom line. Nintendo's cash and equivalents is also up to $768m US at current rates (915.293bn yen).
Hardware and Software Total Sales
- Wii U hardware: 3.38 million (predicted: 3.6m)
- 3DS hardware: 8.73 million (predicted: 9m)
- Wii U software: 24.4 million (predicted: 25m)
- 3DS software: 62.74 million (predicted: 61m)
Guidance For April 1 2015 - March 31 2016:
- Wii U hardware 3.4m
- 3DS hardware 7.6m
- Net sales 570 bn yen
- Operating income 50bn yen
- Net income 55bn yen
- Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire: 9.94m copies
- Mario Kart 8: 5.1m
- Super Smash Bros: 10.4m, split 6.75m to 3DS and 3.65m to Wii U.
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D 2.03m
- Tomodachi Life: 2.31m, 2.21m of which was in the West
- Kirby Triple Deluxe: 1.15m (1.67m overall)
- Mario Kart 7: 2.07m (11.7m)
- Super Mario 3D World: 1.92m (4.1m)
- Pokemon XY: 1.59m (13.85m)
- Nintendo Land: 1.59m (4.68m)
- New Super Mario Bros 2: 1.34m (9.16m)
- Animal Crossing New Leaf: 1.29m (8.94m)
- Total digital sales of 10.2bn yen (US$85m)
Currency conversions courtesy of xe.com