Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167912 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #3425 on: April 15, 2011, 12:57:58 PM »
Because it was only mentioned and never linked to;
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/298241/news/wii-2-has-all-new-hd-controller-out-2012-sources/
What's most exciting about the Wii successor however is its all-new controller, which industry sources have indicated is not simply an upgraded Wii Remote, and will even feature a built-in HD screen.

Our sources did not specify whether or not the controller displays will feature any other functionality, such as that of the DS's touch screen, but it's easy to imagine the sort of innovation an extra screen could bring to Wii 2 games.

"Nintendo's plans sound unreal," one source said. "Publishers are already planning launch titles and it's all very exciting.

"The hardware is even more powerful than current HD consoles and backwards compatible with Wii. The controller will be all-new and has a HD screen on it."

IGN Says
Additional sources informed IGN the screen has touch capability.

I'm gonna have to do another Rumor consolidation post soon. I haven't done one of those for about 2 years. Maybe I'll just consolidate all the rumors for the year so far and see what happens at E3.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: April 15, 2011, 12:59:30 PM »
I don't like the CCpro and wish it would die. Its like a ripoff of the Playstation controller, which is ironic and sad because the Playstation controller itself is a ripoff of many Nintendo innovations. So the CCpro is not only a ripoff; its a ripoff of a ripoff.

See to me, I look at it like Nintendo is showing Sony how to do it right.  It isn't a rip-off of a rip-off because the whole thing was Nintendo's to being with.  The CC Pro is Nintendo taking all of the little things Sony did wrong and doing it right.  I get the idea about how the analog stick should take priority but I actually think the d-pad works better as the focus.  It is harder to use an off-center d-pad than it is to use an off-center analog stick.  When you move the d-pad to the side it becomes borderline useless but the analog stick, thought not quite as good, remains very usable.  A clear example of this is that no one has a problem with the second stick being off-center, because it is still usable.  And the funny thing is that Nintendo themselves are very into the d-pad these days with all their "hold the remote sideways" controls.  They themselves have de-emphasized the analog stick.

The idea of an HD screen on a controller is insane.  How much is a single controller going to cost?  $100?  That's just rumour mongers pulling **** out of their ass.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: April 15, 2011, 01:01:26 PM »
I hate to say this but who thought the 3DS would sell like gangbusters during tax time, at least here in the US, hasn't really been watching have they.    This time might not be a bad time to launch and let it ease into the holiday season.

Considering I just used my Tax Refund to pay off a large chunk of credit card bills, no I don't think Tax Season was a great time to launch the 3DS.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: April 15, 2011, 01:09:12 PM »
[The idea of an HD screen on a controller is insane.  How much is a single controller going to cost?  $100?  That's just rumour mongers pulling **** out of their ass.

HD touch screen on the controller.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: April 15, 2011, 01:10:23 PM »
I be really interested in a controller that used the screen but was able to form buttons on it.  Think raised buttons like the Intellivision buttons but dynamic.  So for a kid game it could be a ball or a banana.   Dynamic changing.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: April 15, 2011, 01:23:01 PM »
It could be a HD haptic touch screen.

That would mean that you could feel texture through the screen. That coudl make for some interesting things to add to games, but I can't think of anythign game changing depending on how big the actual screen is.

I just hope Nintendo also makes the controller (w/ the touch screen on it) a universal remote, so that I only need to grab my WiiMote 2.0 to turn on my TV & Wii, cable box, etc etc. I think that would be a feature that everyone would like, it would become a convenience that we would all eventually take for granted.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: April 15, 2011, 01:34:28 PM »
It could be a HD haptic touch screen.

That would mean that you could feel texture through the screen. That coudl make for some interesting things to add to games, but I can't think of anythign game changing depending on how big the actual screen is.

I just hope Nintendo also makes the controller (w/ the touch screen on it) a universal remote, so that I only need to grab my WiiMote 2.0 to turn on my TV & Wii, cable box, etc etc. I think that would be a feature that everyone would like, it would become a convenience that we would all eventually take for granted.

That would cool for it to be a universal remote.  On the controller be hard to do something more game changing then Kinect recently but, it be neat to have something my very young son could use with games for him.  Though we will see.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: April 15, 2011, 01:47:23 PM »
you should see the concept I had for Wii 2.0
it was a combination of PSMove/Kinect and Wii. I think it was pretty good and could've successfully combined all 3 into something that is the best of all 3.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: April 15, 2011, 01:53:18 PM »
All of the sudden we went from no rumors to a torrential flood of rumors regarding the next Nintendo console. Some of these rumors may have some validity, but because there's so many of them so quickly there's absolutely no chance that every one of them could all be true. You have to cut through the bullshit and try to guess which ones have some weight, and which ones are just hot air. Most of these rumors were likely just made up by people either due to wishful thinking, or as a hoax to fool people.

While its possible for there to be a controller with a screen, I can't buy that it would be an HD screen. Having a controller with a screen would be nice, because it would a convenient little HUD type thing which would be great especially in multiplayer games so you could see stuff that people sitting next to you wouldn't be able to see. But having that screen be HD would be overkill and would add more to the cost of the controller than it would be worth. Not even the 3DS (a $249.99 piece of hardware) has its display in HD, so its just not going to happen in a controller. I'm sure it would be superior to the black and white blocky VMU display thing the Dreamcast used, though. If anything, it might be based on the DS screen, because I'm sure Nintendo would have a bunch of these components available to use and the original DS screen would be more than sufficient for the task.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 01:59:55 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: April 15, 2011, 02:12:15 PM »
it was a combination of PSMove/Kinect and Wii. I think it was pretty good and could've successfully combined all 3 into something that is the best of all 3.

Where is it?  Talking about that I need to find a Nintendo On link.

Chozo:  I think people are using HD to mean not Gameboy is my take on it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:14:26 PM by Ceric »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Rumor Consolidation 2011
« Reply #3435 on: April 15, 2011, 02:17:22 PM »
Rumor Consolidation 2011

October 2010:
-Marvell QuadCore processors for new console - *This might have had something to do with Kinect, But I don't remember.
-IBM implies that Wii2 uses Cell based PPC

November 2010:
-Marvell Quad cores gets a large order: From large console manufacturer - *once again might be Kinect related.
-House of the Dead: Overkill 2 in the works 
-EA reviving NFL Blitz

December 2010:

January 2011:
-UltraViolet Media Cloud service coming to a console - Most Likely Sony since Sony is a partner.
-New Pokemon game for Wii

February 2011:
-Wii2 announcement coming soon according to Ubisoft

March 2011:
-Wii2 announcement coming soon according to EA

April 2011:
-Monster Hunter 3DS to be announced soon
-SSFIV3D connects to home console - Hint @ Wii2 from Capcom and 3DS -> Wii2 connectivity
-Wii price drop to $150 on May 15th
-Wii2 announcement @ E3: 1080p HD, More powerful than PS360, BC with Wii, release late 2012
-New Wii2 controller has HD screen built in
-Wii2 to use Bluray technology
-Wii2 actually aimed at early 2012 release (1st half 2012)
-Controller Screen is actually a Touch Screen
-Project Cafe: Wii2 Controller is a Tablet: 6" touch Screen on Controller, front facing camera & doubles as sensor bar for BC
-Dual Analogs, Streaming & Games Wii2 controller to rival 3DS, NGP, iPhone & iPad apparently
-1st & 3rd Party games @ E3 EA, Ubisoft & Capcom all but confirmed
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:18:34 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: April 15, 2011, 02:25:39 PM »

Where is it?  Talking about that I need to find a Nintendo On link.

Part 1: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=32069.msg642359#msg642359
Part 2: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=32069.msg642377#msg642377

it was a quick sketch, but I think the concept is interesting and could work.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #3437 on: April 15, 2011, 02:42:27 PM »
"Project Cafe". 

Weird.  How can this be backwards compatible with Wii with such a different controller?  Or, I guess you just use Wiimotes for Wii games?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: April 15, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »
What a sea of rumors we're wading in. I don't believe any of it, except the HD part since Iwata confirmed that.

I also hope they launch in black this time.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: April 15, 2011, 02:54:20 PM »
I'll call bull on the Project Cafe rumor.  A touchscreen works for the DS because its compact and an option.  This would not be a primary controller.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Project Cafe
« Reply #3440 on: April 15, 2011, 03:12:55 PM »
Project Cafe since I'm not allergic to links...
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/15/rumor-wii-2-codenamed-project-cafe-controller-includes-built-i/
According to 01net, the peripheral will feature a six-inch single-input touchscreen -- which corroborates a similar report published by CVG yesterday. The French site also says the controller features a standard set of buttons, a front-mounted camera (what?) and can even function as a Wii sensor bar, should the player choose to indulge in the console's built-in backwards compatibility.

I had a link to 01.net last nite, but the site is in french and the Google translation was rough. Didn't see a mention of a 6" screen though.

Nintendo beating Sony into the Tablet game is what it looks like. The Wii2 controller to be a tabled controller possibly with some form of haptic feedback? Not sure what to think about this, but it makes me think back to some Revolution concept art. There was one that was a screen with buttons on the edges. I'll see if I can find it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:15:12 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #3441 on: April 15, 2011, 03:17:53 PM »
wow all this sound awesome, hope half of it is legit!

I would buy this console asap... HOWEVER, lets not let Nintendo know that or it will cost 500 bucks... meh it sounds ok! I would pay... maybe 200, 150 around there :)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: April 15, 2011, 03:45:30 PM »
Project Cafe?

Revolution Controller Concept March 2006

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: April 15, 2011, 03:49:29 PM »
I'm thinking, if anything, it'll look like the bottom half of a 3DS except much more ergonomical.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: April 15, 2011, 04:03:34 PM »
I like that concept in a way.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #3445 on: April 15, 2011, 04:05:15 PM »
Yeah, Unagi, that's what I'm picturing too.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: April 15, 2011, 04:07:43 PM »
lol.  Could you give me an original GBA design instead.  Still maintain that was most ergonomic handheld.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Dual Analogs, Streaming & Games OH MY!!
« Reply #3447 on: April 15, 2011, 04:09:51 PM »

Dual Analogs, Streaming & Games!? OH MY!!

https://twitter.com/jimreilly/status/58952595657596929
Dual analog sticks on the controller. Can stream game content from the console. Not sure if it'll be full games, mini-games, or apps.

I'm guessing that the controller will have the insides of a DS? maybe all compressed onto one small chip.

Honestly I think someone is just fucking with us at this point. All the Revolution and NDS2 rumors are surfacing again to HYPE us up for E3. You have to wonder how much a controller like this would cost and how big would it be? It better double as a universal remote if it's gonna have all this functionality. But PSP as your base controller for the system is a pretty big move for Nintendo. Sony can say that you can use NGP as a controller, but will games be designed for that assuming that an NGP will cost at minimum $299 and who is gonna buy 4 of those just so their friends can play too?

I am cautiously optimistic at this point.
But ALL ABOARD!!!! BTTFhypetrain.gif

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: April 15, 2011, 04:14:53 PM »

Dual Analogs, Streaming & Games!? OH MY!!

https://twitter.com/jimreilly/status/58952595657596929
Dual analog sticks on the controller. Can stream game content from the console. Not sure if it'll be full games, mini-games, or apps.

I'm guessing that the controller will have the insides of a DS? maybe all compressed onto one small chip.

Honestly I think someone is just fucking with us at this point. All the Revolution and NDS2 rumors are surfacing again to HYPE us up for E3. You have to wonder how much a controller like this would cost and how big would it be? It better double as a universal remote if it's gonna have all this functionality. But PSP as your base controller for the system is a pretty big move for Nintendo. Sony can say that you can use NGP as a controller, but will games be designed for that assuming that an NGP will cost at minimum $299 and who is gonna buy 4 of those just so their friends can play too?

I am cautiously optimistic at this point.
But ALL ABOARD!!!! BTTFhypetrain.gif

On the Cost issue.  I would say not that much seriously.  1/3 of the cost of the 3DS is the top screens.  So that takes the manufacture down to $100 but I'll bet you it drops like a stone when you switch the processor to the old DS one, which should be enough to drive 1 touch screen especially if its just a pass through.  Not needing more memory then the screen buffers really, etc.  Just keep dropping the expensive parts till it meets the requirements form the rumor.  The thing doesn't have to be smart or really independent.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: April 15, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »
I just had a thought.

Skyward Sword getting the TP treatment.

Remember that scene where you throw the bug and then you remote control it....
Wii2 version does that on the controller and not on the screen.

Also, touch screen doubles as your keyboard. In game text chat will be a whole lot easier.
In game Video chat would happen on the controller too, keeping maximum screen real estate on the TV.
I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that there will be a speaker and a mic on the controller too while we are at it. Maybe even an SD card slot or some built in flash memory for storing the Miis you can manipulate right there on the on the controller screen. Hopefully an earphone plug too.
If they are gonna do this, then they better do it right.

I still hope there is a camera for ontop of the TV though.
I really liked my sensor bar/wiimote 2.0 idea and hope to see some form of it realized in the Wii2