Author Topic: Next Nintendo Console to be Announced in June?  (Read 33054 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Next Nintendo Console to be Announced in June?
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2011, 04:09:38 PM »
They should call it the "N." Then they can release it in 2012 and say, "the N is near."

First thing that popped into my head was Big Bird saying "The N is Near..."  but, while writing this I realized it would be Grover having that line.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2011, 04:14:06 PM »
updated with more rumors. This is starting to sound really crazy

Rumor Consolidation 2011

October 2010:
-Marvell QuadCore processors for new console - *This might have had something to do with Kinect, But I don't remember.
-IBM implies that Wii2 uses Cell based PPC

November 2010:
-Marvell Quad cores gets a large order: From large console manufacturer - *once again might be Kinect related.
-House of the Dead: Overkill 2 in the works 
-EA reviving NFL Blitz

December 2010:

January 2011:
-UltraViolet Media Cloud service coming to a console? - Most Likely Sony (if anyone) since Sony is a partner.
-New Pokemon game for Wii

February 2011:
-Wii2 announcement coming soon according to THQ

March 2011:
-Wii2 announcement coming soon according to EA

April 2011:
-Monster Hunter 3DS to be announced soon
-SSFIV3D connects to home console - Hint @ Wii2 from Capcom and 3DS -> Wii2 connectivity
-Wii price drop to $150 on May 15th
-Wii2 announcement @ E3: 1080p HD, More powerful than PS360, BC with Wii, release late 2012
-New Wii2 controller has HD screen built in
-Wii2 to use Bluray technology
-Wii2 actually aimed at early 2012 release (1st half 2012)
-Controller Screen is actually a Touch Screen
-Project Cafe: Wii2 Controller is a Tablet: 6" touch Screen on Controller, front facing camera & doubles as sensor bar for BC
-Dual Analogs, Streaming & Games Wii2 controller to rival 3DS, NGP, iPhone & iPad apparently
-1st & 3rd Party games @ E3 EA, Ubisoft & Capcom all but confirmed
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:29:17 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2011, 04:20:48 PM »
6" touch screen?  That's pretty damn huge.  And how much are these controllers going to cost?

The whole point would be to do that old Crystal Chronicles stuff again... except the controllers will cost like a hundred bucks each so no one will own multiple controllers and offline multiplayer will be absolutely screwed.  And for online multiplayer what do I really need a seperate screen for?

The idea kind of sounds like fanboy wishful thinking from people who have no concept of cost feasibility.  The screens would need to be pretty low tech for it to make any sense.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2011, 04:42:30 PM »
I could easily see a second screen coming in handy for online multiplayer.

For instance, in Black Ops there's a camera you can place down to watch a door or a section of the map. With a second screen, that camera could actually be useful.

Also, I'd really welcome the fact of not having to press start in order to look at my map in Hardcore modes. Also, if you can take everything out of the HUD and stick it on the bottom screen, it would add more real estate.

And lastly, a touchscreen is way easier to navigate then conventional menus.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2011, 04:47:04 PM »
I basically just posted the same thoughts over in the rumor thread.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2011, 04:56:52 PM »
the console IS the controller

WHAT A TWIST

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2011, 05:05:06 PM »
Everything old is new again, a.k.a., Nintendo never throws anything out.

This from the Wikipedia article about the Wii
"The Nintendo DS is said to have influenced the Wii design. Designer Ken'ichiro Ashida noted, "We had the DS on our minds as we worked on the Wii. We thought about copying the DS's touch-panel interface and even came up with a prototype.""

Wii controller prototype = Wii2 controller (maybe)

I am guessing the pointer replaced the touch screen functionality and for Wii2, it may be the reverse.

EDIT - apparently the quote above is cited to an old Newsweek article. So, slightly more credible than Wikipedia  ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:19:09 PM by Fatty_The_Hutt »
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2011, 05:09:56 PM »
The new console should be named "Epic WiiN" in which the N stands for Nintendo, of course. So instead of Super Wii, its the Epic Wii'n. This waY it retains that stupid Wii brand name, but its blended into the name in such a way that it becomes awesome. Alternatively, it could be called "Wii Next" which would still be abbreviated to WiiN.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:13:03 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2011, 05:28:46 PM »
And lastly, a touchscreen is way easier to navigate then conventional menus.

Except you have to take your hand off of the controller, pull out the stylus, and then click on the menu in the amount of time any mentally capable person could navigate multiple levels of menus.  And while this is going on you have to stop looking at the TV screen.  To me it's like selecting letters with a mouse vs. typing.

What would it cost to make a GBA today?  There is something pretty fancy with a small screen that is ten years old.  If they used GBA level tech would it make such a controller cost feasible?

Of course this touchscreen stuff has brought forth the ideas of the touchscreen replacing buttons, which is such a DUMB idea, but also comes up from people who don't think at all about how that would actually work.  The iPad has that.  The iPad has **** games.  If the Wii 2 had that, it could have all the horsepower in the world, but it would be another casual console because the controller would be completely unuseable for anything with any complexity.  With no tactile feedback you have to look down at the screen constantly making any sort of game that involves perfect reflexes or timing a huge mess to play.

This isn't like the DS where you are essentially staring at the touchscreen the whole time because the two screens are right on top of each other.  This isn't a minor glance here, it would be moving your head to stare down.  And if someone wants to make touchscreen games, why not just make them for the 3DS in the first place?

I'm wondering if Nintendo's plan is to make the iPad to the 3DS's iPhone.  So this thing doesn't even connect to a TV and has its own screen but it isn't as portable as a 3DS so it's for around the home.  And this thing would become another casual shovelware paradise because it's so different and weird.  I would never buy it for all the reason why I hate using handhelds (screen moves with controller, either have to hold controller in front of face or look down the whole time, both of which are ergonomic nightmares).

But if it also allowed TV output I wouldn't mind it too much (still think it would be branded as casual).  But then it can't really do local multiplayer without it being incredible expensive, unless Nintendo is smart enough to also offer screenless controllers specifically for if you want to hook it to your TV.  But this would involve considerable flexibility and options, which Nintendo is horrible at.

Hopefully this is very conventional and it's just a classic controller with a low quality touchscreen on it with the Wii remote as a seperate option, like how the NES came with normal controllers and the lightgun.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »
You know, if the the Wii's successor will use a controller with a touch screen on it, does this mean we might be able to finally play DS games on a TV console?  Hey, it would definitely open the possible for something like this to happen since the main reason we haven't gotten a Super Gameboy or Gameboy Advance Player for the the DS yet is since DS and 3DS games use 2 screens for all games and so I was impossible to recreate this on the Wii there's nothing on the Wii that can replace the bottom touch screen.

Well if their new console is going to have what is basically a second touch screen on it's controller, then Nintendo finally has the ability to make this happen.  Yeah some games might be kind of tricky to play like this but most DS/3DS game will work just fine since all the action usually takes place on the top screen with the bottom used for menu's or some other button feature.  Actually if the touch screen on the controller is indeed 6 inches, that would actually make it bigger then any of the DS's touch screens by quite a bit making DS games that use the bottom screen better to play.

So yeah if the touch screen rumor is true, I'm calling it now, the Nintendo DS Player is only a matter of time away.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2011, 05:42:31 PM »
Okay, I like the DS Player idea.  I like it A LOT.  In fact it gives this rather bizarre idea a more practical purpose to it.  Nintendo wants the DS design applied to their console but to do so they need to offer a second screen, so that ends up being on the controller itself.  Thinking it like that it makes a lot more sense.

However another thing to think about beyond cost is battery life.  I assume we'll have wireless controllers here.  That is the standard and hopefully Nintendo goes with a recharge model like the PS3 has instead of AA batteries again.  But if I've got a six inch screen I'm probably going to be sucking the juice pretty quickly.

But let's say you can play tethered if you want to so that helps the battery thing.  Right now a full Wii remote with Motion+ and nunchuk will cost about $60.  Could you make something like a CC Pro with a 6" touchscreen in the center that would only retail for that price?  The price of controllers these days is pretty insane to begin with and I can't imagine the market tolerating much higher.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:49:39 PM by Ian Sane »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2011, 05:46:41 PM »
No offense, Ian. But your such a stubborn idiot sometimes.

I couldn't even read the rest of your post because your first sentence was so damn idiotic.

Pull out a stylus? Why not just use your thumb? You know...the big weird looking thing attached to your hand. Seriously, why do you think every touch screen ever made requires a stylus?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2011, 05:55:55 PM »
Pull out a stylus? Why not just use your thumb? You know...the big weird looking thing attached to your hand. Seriously, why do you think every touch screen ever made requires a stylus?

Because it smudges the **** out of the screen.  We've gone over this a million times in DS discussions.  Some people don't like smudging the **** out of screens and having the clean them constantly.

Plus the "take your hand off and fumble with the stylus" method is what Nintendo has used for the DS and 3DS so I think it's fair to assume the same design would be present here.

Using the d-pad and buttons is more intuitive and much quicker and easier for me.  This wouldn't be an issue if Nintendo wasn't so bizarrely opposed to providing options.  Why not let people do it the way they want?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2011, 05:58:23 PM »
Cleaning a screen is easier than fumbling with a stylus, and stylus control is definitely NOT the scheme intended for games like Ocarina of Time 3D.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2011, 05:59:28 PM »
Cleaning a screen is easier than fumbling with a stylus, and stylus control is definitely NOT the scheme intended for games like Ocarina of Time 3D.
Nor for SSFIV 3DS
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2011, 06:02:20 PM »
No offense, Ian. But your such a stubborn idiot sometimes.

I couldn't even read the rest of your post because your first sentence was so damn idiotic.

I was just about to say thee same thing. I was gonna ask if Ian ever stopped bitching long enough to actually read what it is he is talking about. Why would you need a stylus? that makes no damn sense. It's a 6 INCH touch screen, my finger is the stylus.

Also if you read all the links I've gathered so neatly for you, it said that that the controller has a standard set of buttons and dual analogs. So i don't know what the source of your "touchscreen replacing buttons" rant even is.

from the Project Cafe link:
According to 01net, the peripheral will feature a six-inch single-input touchscreen -- which corroborates a similar report published by CVG yesterday. The French site also says the controller features a standard set of buttons, a front-mounted camera (what?) and can even function as a Wii sensor bar, should the player choose to indulge in the console's built-in backwards compatibility.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2011, 06:07:56 PM »
Camera as well?  How the **** is anyone going to afford one of these controllers?  Has Nintendo gone Sony crazy?!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2011, 06:11:46 PM »
I guess my post are not only subliminal, but invisible as well....

link to rumor summary that I am updating as I find them:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg666999#msg666999

p.s. I've posted it twice in this thread already

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2011, 06:12:51 PM »
I'm surprised, you of all people, are not jumping for joy.

Isn't this what you wanted?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2011, 06:19:08 PM »
I like the idea of Nintendo not skimping on hardware but it has to be affordable.  I didn't buy a PS3 until it became affordable.  This is looking like an incredibly pricey controller and I'm not interested in that (particularly since the elements that make it expensive are gimmicky fluff anyway).  Plus I'm just looking at it from an armchair business analysist position.  How does Nintendo expect to put all this tech into a controller and have any hope of people buying multiple controllers?

And there is the debunking of how accurate this rumour is.  Throwing everything but the kitchen sink into a design reeks of fanboy fantasies.  The questionable cost feasibility really is just asking "is this a credible rumour?"

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
It makes me think back to the Dreamcast. The memory cards (VMUs) slid into the controllers and doubled as a secondary screen. It was monochrome and usually didn't actually provide much in the way of functionality, but the idea was awesome.

I really, really just want a normal controller though. So many games have suffered on the Wii because of the shoe-horned motion controls. I don't mind that the option is there, but it shouldn't be used where it doesn't really make sense either.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2011, 06:21:54 PM »
Less than 2 months till we find out.

Is E3 on the 7th of June.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2011, 06:31:37 PM »
All these rumours about crazy controller functionality (it has Everything a Fanboy could possibly want!! And More!!) make me think of that Simpson's episode where Homer's long lost brother has Homer design a car.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2011, 06:32:32 PM »
I'm actually not that excited at all about these rumors, which is strange to me.  I can put the reasons to a few things.
1) I still have 5-7 Wii games to purchase and play and that's gonna take some time due to my limited console play time.

2) Although it has been 5 years (standard console cycle) I feel like it's a bit early to bring out a new console, low sales be damned.

3) I'm so use to Nintendo doing the weird and exciting and just surprising folks that I can't possibly see how they can do that with their new system.  My worst fear is they just make a soul-less powerhouse.

My opinion is of the minority, though I always look forward to new Nintendo software.  I just want be blown away is all and I fear that may not happen this time...
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2011, 06:37:36 PM »
<shrug>

All I really want to know is, will this whiz-bang new console allow me to play Mario Kart without having to wait two minutes for somebody else's game to finish?  Now THAT would impress me.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog