Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 551953 times)

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1850 on: March 26, 2011, 12:07:42 PM »
I really think people are making a mistake to wait for a "3DS Lite". The only reason the "Lite" came out was because the original DS was rushed. They had a design that wasn't what they really wanted. Pretty much thrown together I believe. The design for the 3DS is pretty much what Nintendo wanted as it's pretty much the design of the DS Lite. It has the upgraded OS and store that was tried out first on the DSi. If anything we might see a bigger version of the system but that might not be for years. When people make the 3DS Lite comments they keep forgetting or don't realize why the original DS changed into the DS Lite.

I agree.  I can understand the thought of Nintendo handheld fans being conditioned to expect a revision of the present hardware.  But outside of making a larger 3DS, there really isn't anything they can do to redesign the current system.  Read all the Iwata Asks on the 3DS' design, they really engineered this thing to the hilt. Every decision about the look and feel of the hardware (from the protruding lip and 3 tier color scheme, to the hinge and even stylus placement) was done with extreme specificity.  This thing is about as balanced between useabilty and efficiency as it can get. 

This does not invalidate anyone's opinion if they don't like the look of the system. But anyone thinking that it's going to have some kind of cocoon to butterfly-like transformation in a "future redesign" is going to be waiting a long time and will be sorely disappointed. I personally really like the look and feel of the system and can't understand some people's strong dislike of the design, particularly in a post DS Phat world.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: March 26, 2011, 12:16:27 PM »
Well I refuse to buy a system that has worse battery life than my phone that cost $50 more than my phone did. So if they want my money the 3DS either needs to drop $100 or get a redesign with better battery life.

I don't think a better battery can be had unless the systems itself is enlarged to accommodate a larger battery or battery tech sees another jump in form factor and capacity.

Also your phone unsubsidized is probably $100 more than the price of a 3DS, not to mention being locked into a contract and paying more than $50 a month.  I apologize, but I hate comparisons of the 3DS to the price of a cell phone because phones without contracts are the epitome of over priced hardware and battery life can be just as long or short on the device depending on what settings you use it on, just like the 3DS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: March 26, 2011, 12:47:31 PM »
Well I refuse to buy a system that has worse battery life than my phone that cost $50 more than my phone did. So if they want my money the 3DS either needs to drop $100 or get a redesign with better battery life.

Meh, that's not a useful standard, my cheap as crap cellphone lasts for weeks on a charge. On the other hand my iPod Touch won't even last through a day when used as my primary gaming system.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: March 26, 2011, 01:40:09 PM »
What I expect out of a 3DS revision;

Improved battery life through reduced chip size manufacturing. (i.e. chips go from 45nm to 22 nm or something)
A more powerful battery included in the system. (current battery is 1300mAh, new battery could be 1800-2300mAh)

Put reduced power usage mixed in with a more powerful battery and all of a sudden you have 10-15hrs battery life with everything activated at the same price.

If they could also add in 2 front facing cameras for 3D video chat, then that would be icing on the cake.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: March 26, 2011, 03:01:03 PM »
Maybe the battery won't be as much of an issue as I think but the idea of no more than 5 hours is just sad for gaming device. I guess I will see what others think in a week or so after you have had lots of time to use it.

$250 is also just tough for me to get behind with all the limited software and battery. Hit the DSi price of $150-$180 and it would be an instant buy for me.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: March 26, 2011, 05:44:50 PM »
To be fair 5 hours is about what my DS Phat got. Look how much the DS Lite added to that!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: March 27, 2011, 01:41:44 AM »
After some time with PilotWings, I've gotta say I'm very impressed by the effect. I'd never seen anything in 3D before, and was more than a little worried that I wouldn't be able to see it because of my vision issues, but it is very cool.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: March 27, 2011, 02:48:50 AM »
Now that I know the activity log keeps records of all your games, I want to go through and play each of my DS titles for a few seconds just to get them logged...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: March 27, 2011, 04:10:02 AM »
After some time with PilotWings, I've gotta say I'm very impressed by the effect. I'd never seen anything in 3D before, and was more than a little worried that I wouldn't be able to see it because of my vision issues, but it is very cool.

Yeah, I can also see more than I thought I would but I still don't get why that's supposed to be so awesome. It's there, it works, so what?

Now that I know the activity log keeps records of all your games, I want to go through and play each of my DS titles for a few seconds just to get them logged...

It doesn't seem to log them properly, I've got 1 minute of playtime on SM64DS, when I played it I got the 100 coin star on bob omb battlefield so that's very unlikely. On the other hand I do have 16 minutes of Konami Arcade Classics registered.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1859 on: March 27, 2011, 02:30:46 PM »
I brought the 3DS home 3 hours ago.  I'm really loving it.  But I've had to charge it twice!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: March 27, 2011, 03:01:04 PM »
You're supposed to charge it up fully before using it, that's how Li-Ion batteries work!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: March 27, 2011, 03:54:31 PM »
Some random observations:

There's no microphone port - meaning no headset voice chat.  Not that there was much anyway.
There's no wrist strap slots.  Meaning I can't force a wrist strap onto it. :(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1862 on: March 27, 2011, 06:51:54 PM »
Does it take cell phone-type headsets? iPhone volume controls work, so I was wondering if they're just using more popular technology now.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: March 27, 2011, 07:56:39 PM »
they will probably add a mic when they decide to redesign the system
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: March 27, 2011, 08:14:09 PM »
It all depends on the soundcard. This may be wishful thinking, but I doubt they would ignore a feature they included in their most popular handheld to date.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: March 27, 2011, 09:35:39 PM »
I gotta say, having the system in my hands and really being able to take my time going through the menus (and enjoying the surround sound on my BOSE ear buds), I am very impressed with the amount of polish that has gone into this machine.  It is certainly WAY greater than the sum of it's parts and just feels really fully featured (despite of course the eShop and internet which we all know is coming in a couple months).  Maybe because it's a handheld, or maybe because it's a Nintendo console, but even though I knew practically everything about the system that I could read online before it came out, I was still surprised by the experience of the OS and the fullness of the system in terms of the included software. 

This is the first time since like the SNES that I feel like Nintendo is finally creating a console that doesn't feel like it's trying to alienate itself by not having current gen features while still making itself feel distinct from the competition.

And did I mention how sexy the black unit is :Q ?

My only gripe so far is the placement of the earphone jack, I would prefer it to be on the sides instead of the middle.  That way when I place the system in my breast pocket, the audio cord can stay plugged into the system.  Other than that, I am quite happy with this thing.

Now all I have to do is get use to pulling the stylus from the top instead of the side  ::)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: March 27, 2011, 09:52:19 PM »
I like that the stylus is on the top because having it on the side led to it falling out of the unit in my pocket on a somewhat regular basis. I think it would work a lot better if it were on the other side of the cartridge slot, though.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1867 on: March 27, 2011, 10:14:30 PM »
Just want to jump in and mention for those having issues with the 3Ds battery life. In the link below you can find a device that works with the 3DS.

http://www.destructoid.com/extending-the-life-of-the-3ds-battery-197261.phtml
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: March 27, 2011, 11:41:59 PM »
I'm sure the 3DS actually takes regular cell phone-type headsets with the mic on the same plug.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: March 28, 2011, 12:08:00 AM »
So there is no place to put the wrist strap?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: March 28, 2011, 12:13:26 AM »
Nowhere that I can see, sorry. And as for the mic/earphone combo headphones with the funny jack, the 3DS does not support those anymore unlike the rest of the DS family.  I never had a use for that specific type of jack though.

Offline ThomasO

• View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #1871 on: March 28, 2011, 12:19:30 AM »
I was able to try out the 3DS at both the Grand Central terminal and the Nintendo World Store yesterday. The 3D effect in the AR games was a little tiring on the eyes, but looked awesome in the Mii Channel and Street Fighter. I tried out Pilotwings Resort as well, but I couldn't find the sweet spot to get the 3D to look right.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: March 28, 2011, 12:23:15 AM »
Why not? I can find the sweet spot instantly.

Also...I managed to get 3D boobs on my 3DS. Yipee.

Offline ThomasO

• View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #1873 on: March 28, 2011, 12:43:06 AM »
I dunno. I was trying out the light plane and I kept seeing double vision of the vehicle, and it made it awkward to play.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: March 28, 2011, 12:55:06 AM »
Why not? I can find the sweet spot instantly.

Also...I managed to get 3D boobs on my 3DS. Yipee.

*Goes to buy the 3DS. Car tires screeching.*
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.