Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 551947 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1825 on: March 20, 2011, 08:35:53 PM »
As long as the voltage is the same you should be right.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: March 20, 2011, 10:07:59 PM »
On a related note, don't buy either of those battery "solutions".  Something better is on the horizon. :D

If it's as good as you have been teasing us, I hope I can get one here in Canada.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: March 22, 2011, 12:42:13 AM »
Battery Test

3DS - 2hrs 51min
DS Phat - 5hrs 50min
DSiXL - 7hrs 36min
DSi - 8hrs 34min

While I'm very tempted to throw down $60 and put new batteries in each of my DS units to run this test on my own, I'm even more interested in running this type of a test on an original Game Boy, Pocket, Light, Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP and Game Boy Micro... hmmm...

Which way is more taxing on the batteries?  Having the contrast turned all the way up or all the way down on an original Game Boy?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1828 on: March 22, 2011, 01:09:21 AM »
Which way is more taxing on the batteries?  Having the contrast turned all the way up or all the way down on an original Game Boy?
On the original, turning it up should be more taxing since the default state is absence of black. In fact, I remember turning the contrast up repeatedly as my batteries slowly lost power.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: March 22, 2011, 01:21:03 AM »
Now that you mention it, I remember doing that as well.  I wonder how long my little Flip cam records for - if it'll record a long enough video to do this.  I doubt it though.  Anyone good at video editing - speeding up the video and adding in all the effects/graphics when one of the systems die?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: March 22, 2011, 01:40:52 AM »
On a related note, don't buy either of those battery "solutions".  Something better is on the horizon. :D

If it's as good as you have been teasing us, I hope I can get one here in Canada.

I don't see why 3DS v2 wouldn't be released in Canada.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: March 22, 2011, 01:59:51 AM »
Anyone good at video editing - speeding up the video and adding in all the effects/graphics when one of the systems die?
I specialize in many forms a production as well and if you ever would like some post production work, hey just ask. I can also always send you some of my favorite wine if that helps out too.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: March 22, 2011, 08:53:05 PM »
:music; "I always feel like somebodies watching me" :music;

3DS is keeping track of the flash carts you put into the system? That's what Kotaku is reporting, so if you have that specific brand of Flashcard tah taallows you to pirate some DS games.... I'd be careful if I were you. I would just play my DS games in my DS if that were the case because when that first big update comes around (assuming this is true) Nintendo just might brick your 3DS.

Back in July 2010, THQ's Ian Curran said, "What excites me even more [than 3DS games] is that there's technology built in that device to really combat piracy...I actually asked Nintendo to explain the technology and they said it's very difficult to do so because it's so sophisticated."

Fast-forward to 2011. Japanese game retailer Enterking issued a notice that it would not be buying back any 3DS units that were used with a R4-type devices - specifically "illegal or unauthorized devices". The notice states that there seems to be a record of such use left on the system. This would be in line with the rumors that the 3DS keeps a log of flash cart use, which then can be checked.

The Nintendo terms of agreement clearly state that it is possible that the 3DS might not be able to boot up after firmware updates if unapproved or illegal devices are used in the 3DS. You have been warned!
http://kotaku.com/#!5779454/nintendo-is-so-not-screwing-around-with-3ds-piracy

:music;"Who's that peepin' through window.... POW!! Nobody now.":music;

It is stated on the 3DS box BTW

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: March 22, 2011, 09:49:44 PM »
Hudson 3DS Titles Cancelled
http://www.andriasang.com/e/posts/2011/03/23/270165/
The release list in this week's Famitsu has some mega carnage for Hudson fans. It looks like many of the publisher's upcoming titles have been cancelled, presumably due to the recent Konami acquisition. Current confirmed cancellations include Omega Five (3DS), Bonk (3DS) and Bomberman (3DS), but there may be some other titles as well.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: March 23, 2011, 06:49:12 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/03/nintendo-backs-away-from-3ds-games-that-require-3d-others-may-follow.ars

I would love to see games that require dual eye depth perception to be played properly, but I had no idea that anyone ever considered 3D to be required to proceed in any game being made.

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: March 23, 2011, 06:56:26 PM »
I don't understand what Ars Technica is trying to do. Well I do...misinformation. Nintendo has never took the stance that they want games that were only 3D based. The whole point of the slider is so that people have a choice. Either to play with or without the 3D. To back away from something means you have to be for something in the first place and Nintendo was never there.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:09:08 PM by NeoStar9X »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1836 on: March 23, 2011, 06:56:44 PM »
According to the Dream Trigger producer, Nintendo actually mandates that there be alternatives to 3D in the games... in the case of Dream Trigger, they use transparency as well as 3D to convey the same information. This is necessary anyway, so that children, who aren't supposed to be playing with 3D on, can play such games.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:08:25 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: March 23, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »
I don't understand what Ars Technica is trying to do. Well I do...miss information. Nintendo has never took the stance that they want games that were only 3D based. The whole point of the slider is so that people have a choice. Either to play with or without the 3D. To back away from something means you have to be for something in the first place and Nintendo was never there.

I mostly agree with what you said, but Arstechina previously praised the 3D slider as the best part of the system.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: March 23, 2011, 10:49:51 PM »
I didn't read the arstechnica.com article, but Engadget ran a similar piece recently that mentioned Nintendo was creating a Mario game (I think they said there was a demo) where you had to have 3D on to see certain platforms that you had to jump on, and without 3D you saw nothing. This seems like a good idea, but it's not all-inclusive Nintendo style gaming.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Unreal Engine on 3DS
« Reply #1839 on: March 24, 2011, 01:40:57 AM »
Unreal Engine is up an running on the 3DS
according to Ubisoft... but is it Unreal Engine 3?
http://www.gamespot.com/3ds/action/splintercell3/news.html?sid=6305333&mode=previews
GSUK: It's been suggested that the 3DS has a similar level of processing power as the Wii. Is this the case in your experience?

FC: The 3DS is powerful, and we are able to run the Unreal engine on this console, which is pretty impressive for a handheld machine, and the 3D doesn’t affect the performance (thanks to my amazing programmers). The architecture is different compared to a Wii or some other platforms that we had to work with here at Ubisoft Montreal.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:26:20 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: March 24, 2011, 03:38:18 AM »
Splinter Cell CT uses U2 engine so more than likely the same will be of the remake. 

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: March 24, 2011, 08:17:59 AM »
To bad Ubisoft can't do anything with it judging by how Splinter Cell 3DS looks. :(

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: March 25, 2011, 12:48:12 PM »
Oh man, when the system is set to German it won't let you enter the # sign in a WPA passphrase. I had to set my system to English to input ours.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
3DS cost $101 in raw materials
« Reply #1843 on: March 25, 2011, 01:28:25 PM »
ESTIMATE: 3DS cost $101 in raw materials. sold to retailer at significant mark up
estimates do not factor in assembly, packaging, marketing or R&D cost
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-24-why-the-nintendo-3ds-costs-GBP230-article
According to a "preliminary estimate" handed to Eurogamer by David Carey, VP of technical intelligence for UBM TechInsights, the cost of the system's raw materials comes in at $101 per unit (around £61.76). That equates to around a $15 (around £9.17) increase over the DSi, which launched in 2009 for £149.

Compare that to the 3DS's initial £230 asking price and you wouldn't be blamed for smelling a rat. Bear in mind though that the DSi was released relatively late in the handheld's phenomenally successful life cycle, at a time when Nintendo could afford to take risks, having already made back a significant wedge of its original R&D investment.

Of course, on top of the raw materials there are also a number of other costs to consider, such as labour, marketing, packaging and distribution, not to mention those sizeable R&D costs to recoup. Naturally, Nintendo won't reveal what its margin is or what it charges retailers per unit. However, a reliable retail source tells Eurogamer the going price is £170.73.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Street Fighter x Tekken 3DS?
« Reply #1844 on: March 25, 2011, 01:40:49 PM »
Could the 3DS be getting a version of Street Fighter x Tekken?
Ono sure hopes to see it happen
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-24-street-fighter-x-tekken-on-3ds
Eye-catching crossover fighting game Street Fighter x Tekken is, right now, an upcoming arcade, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 game. But will it, like Super Street Fighter IV, launch on the Nintendo 3DS?

Street Fighter producer Yoshinori Ono told Eurogamer this morning that a 3DS version "should happen", and described the potential port as the "next step".

"As far as fighting games are concerned, we've come a long way," Ono said. "It used to be that you had to go to an arcade machine, pay money and play it. Then it came to home console and you could play it in front of your TV. Now you can play Super Street Fighter IV anywhere if you've got a 3DS.

"I think that's an amazing thing. The next step would be to have Street Fighter x Tekken, which is the celebration of all top fighting gamers' dreams in one, to be on 3DS, where you can play anywhere you want.

"That's an ultimate idea. Personally speaking, it should happen. We should probably start making more noise about this. But officially, nothing has been considered yet."

I'm really hoping for MvC3 to be honest, but I used to like Tekken3 back in the day.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: March 25, 2011, 02:25:09 PM »
I like hearing about all these fighting games on the 3DS, it paves the way for a real Soul Calibur!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: March 25, 2011, 04:16:33 PM »
I'd rather see Capcom vs characters I give a damn about, not SFxTekken.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #1847 on: March 26, 2011, 10:56:47 AM »
I'm really hoping for MvC3 to be honest, but I used to like Tekken3 back in the day.

Same. I'm holding out for a "3DS lite", but a Marvel vs. Capcom game on the 3DS would make the handheld an instant purchase for me.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: March 26, 2011, 11:45:47 AM »
I really think people are making a mistake to wait for a "3DS Lite". The only reason the "Lite" came out was because the original DS was rushed. They had a design that wasn't what they really wanted. Pretty much thrown together I believe. The design for the 3DS is pretty much what Nintendo wanted as it's pretty much the design of the DS Lite. It has the upgraded OS and store that was tried out first on the DSi. If anything we might see a bigger version of the system but that might not be for years. When people make the 3DS Lite comments they keep forgetting or don't realize why the original DS changed into the DS Lite.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: March 26, 2011, 11:58:08 AM »
Well I refuse to buy a system that has worse battery life than my phone that cost $50 more than my phone did. So if they want my money the 3DS either needs to drop $100 or get a redesign with better battery life.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf