Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 553417 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1900 on: March 29, 2011, 01:30:34 PM »
Hmmm... I think a thread dedicated to QR codes should be created.
There actually is one made in the matchmaking section of the forum but I guess not many people go there...
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: March 29, 2011, 02:12:06 PM »
You should see the one of Link and Ganon, those are perfect lol.  They seem to be modeled after the Wind Waker versions.  The Mr. Bean and Jack Black Miis are so dead on its scary lol.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1902 on: March 29, 2011, 05:03:45 PM »
I love how the deeper I dig into this system, the more I find.  The graffiti option in the photo app is actually a very robust drawing tool, and the deformation tool (like making hills or valleys on your photos) is pretty amazing.  Playing with the system, I get more and more excited about what Nintendo and others will do with it.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: March 29, 2011, 08:20:21 PM »
Yeah, no kidding.  The potential is definitely there for a lot of creative implementation of various features of this system.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: March 29, 2011, 09:39:20 PM »
3DS has 128MB of RAM?

http://www.ifixit.com/blog/blog/2011/03/28/nintendo-3ds-has-128mb-ram/
Our friends at Chipworks have decapsulated and analyzed the mysterious Fujitsu MB82M8080- 07L chip we found in the Nintendo 3DS. It turns out that “MB82M8080″ is actually code for“MB82DBS08645″ (of course!), which is the actual part number for the memory dies inside the chip. From that information, Chipworks deduced that they have a 512Mb FCRAM die on their hands. As there were two dies inside the chip, 2 dies x 512Megabits = 128 MB of RAM!

Fujitsu claims that their Fast Cycle RAM has a data rate of 3.2 GB/sec, which is approximately double the capability of DDR2 RAM, according to their chart. That’s certainly an impressive statistic, but we’ll have to see if the relatively-low memory amount hampers the 3DS performance over time.

That would be great news since it's twice as much as our worst estimates and 32MB more than our suspected amount. Right in line with our best realistic guesses though.

So it looks like that debug unit has 96MB reserved for games and 32MB was reserved for just the OS. I hope that means that lots of new features are on the way to utilize that 32MB considering that is the same amount the 360 uses.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: March 29, 2011, 09:44:28 PM »
Wow, I didn't know it matched the 360 in that respect  :Q
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: March 29, 2011, 09:47:24 PM »
I've now come to the conclusion that I can't actually see the 3D effect. I had this realization after I played Pilotwings for half an hour without realizing that I had the 3D turned off.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: March 29, 2011, 09:51:51 PM »
Poor poor insanolord...

BTW your avatar is perfect for your post.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: March 29, 2011, 10:04:11 PM »
I played the 3DS today and I was not in any way shape or form blown out of the water. I could see the effect just fine and I guess it was cool, but the screen is so damn tiny and the viewing angle is so damn small that I will likely just wait it out till there is either a revision or too many games that I can't pass up.

there were 3 angles at which I could see the 3D, straight on and and either 45o angle. anything but perfectly in any of those 3 spots and you've got a double vision mess. Also I don't know if it was the demo unit at Best Buy, but the slider might as well have been a 3 position switch with the way it seemed to effect the screen. You have high, low & off. I couldn't seem to get any difference inbetween those 3 positions.... atleast not while playing Pilot Wings.

The 3DS is a definite wait and see for me. I know I will buy it eventually, but I am not sold at $250, not for just SSFIV3DS.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #1909 on: March 29, 2011, 10:32:53 PM »
Having played around with it for a while, I can say that I'm loving this thing. I picked up Street Fighter IV and Pilotwings with the system and have found both to be enjoyable (though I prefer the former). The AR games are fun, even if getting the lighting conditions are annoying, and when I played a few rounds of Face Raiders, I was smiling the entire time. Taking pictures of the Miis is also a lot of fun and the sound system is a fun little thing to play around with.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. Definitely worth the 300 bucks I put down for it (at least so far...).
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: March 29, 2011, 11:31:51 PM »
Sucks to hear that Insanolord.  What do you see when you adjust the the slider?  I would sudjest, if you can, try another game.  For some reason, the 3d in Pilotwings messes with me a little.  I think it has to do with the plane and the background image.  When I shift my focus from the plane to the environment and vice a versa, it messes with the effect.  I find it better to just focus on the background and not the plane.  I really hope you get to play with it some more and eventually get around to seeing some 3d at least. 

One thing I'll like to mention about the system is that I never thought I'd love the Streetpass and Mii implementation as much as I do.  Whenever I take my 3ds out on the road with me, I can't wait to get home and see if I've collected any other Miis.  I've only ran into 2 so far.  One girl in college and a guy while I was out about town.  Does anyone know if only your personal Mii gets transfered or any Mii you've created in your system can get sent out?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: March 29, 2011, 11:46:03 PM »
I can definitely see a difference with the 3D on, and the depth is a little clearer, but not that much, and the picture seems blurrier overall. I think I prefer it without the 3D, especially since that'll drastically improve the battery life.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: March 29, 2011, 11:56:31 PM »
well hopefully your issues are on a game by game basis.  Wouldn't want anyone missing out on everything the system has to offer.  Try holding the system up closer and see if that helps.  I find it much clearer when I have the system around a foot or less to my face.  I know that'll only be possible at home though, you can't really get that close when you playing out and about. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: March 30, 2011, 12:49:55 AM »
I played around with the 3DS at Best Buy today. They have it screwed down maybe 3 feet off the ground so I had to lean down to play it which wasn't ideal but I still contorted my body into the 3D sweet spot. I saw the 3D effect just fine. It was neat-o and all but that launch is awful and that, of course, is the dealbreaker. I can wait. A redesign is coming (my guess is Fall 2012), will have better battery life, will likely be larger etc. etc. etc. It'll be the 3DS I wish the current 3DS was and have at least 18 months' worth of software, namely the ones I'm even remotely interested in Mario 3DS and Revelations in addition to surprises in the coming months (still crossing my fingers for 2D Metroid). I'm always excited for new hardware, but it gets easier and easier to play the wait-and-see card when inevitable revisions and redesigns are the norm. I'm also buying a phone within the next 12 months and that's a bigger priority than a game system I'm not going to play much, partly due to the poor selection of available titles and because my gaming has simply decreased as I've inched ever closer to 30 (I'm 26).

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: March 30, 2011, 10:54:10 AM »
Does anyone know if only your personal Mii gets transfered or any Mii you've created in your system can get sent out?

You have to select one Mii for Street Pass, that's the one that gets sent out. I've tagged two people and two in-store demo units.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #1915 on: March 31, 2011, 12:15:12 AM »
Was just thinking about this tonight after viewing numerous pics online of the 3DS.... but, after demo'ing the 3DS at Best Buy the other day for a good 20 minutes, I've come to this conclusion...

I really loathe the design of the L and R buttons on this thing.  They're way too thin and too "clicky" for my tastes. The DS Lite's were perfect... although, I much prefer the L and R buttons from the original GBA best. Those things were awesome.

But yeah, I'm starting to notice a couple features that I can definitely see being improved upon in a revision on down the line.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: March 31, 2011, 12:30:51 AM »
Mine arrived today after some issues with Amazon.com. I'll post my impressions of it this weekend. By then I'll have played more of Steel Diver, Ridge Racer, and Street Fighter.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1917 on: March 31, 2011, 12:45:53 AM »
So far, I've gotten a few headaches, but nothing that made me stop playing. Though, this could be due to my sleeping/eating habits.
I've played Rayman 3D and SSFIV. The 3D is SSFIV is great. I really like it, though I suck a fighting games. :P Rayman is ok.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: March 31, 2011, 12:54:39 AM »
Just got mine in the mail today with Pilotwings & Street Fighter.

I just have to say that playing it in your hands where you can move it close enough to have the optimum 3D effect makes all the difference.  Playing it at a kiosk in Best Buy brought me over the tipping point to purchase it despite the fact that it was bolted to a stupid display approx. 4 ft tall, and after an hour or so of tinkering around with the features, I'm definitely glad that I got it. 

My wife was blown away by the AR cards and all the features, especially face raiders and the ability to make a mii by photo.  She was also impressed with watching me play Street Fighter for the sake of the 3D. 

Both Pilotwings and Street Fighter are a ton of fun, but I see myself sinking my teeth into Pilotwings first, as it's been a long time since I've played a flight simulator, and this is my first pilotwings game.  Street Fighter will be a good way to get my fighting game fix on the road. 

I tried out a regular DS game since I heard there were complaints about the graphics being lesser quality, and while I did notice a bit of the colors being washed out and a tiny bit more pixelation, it wasn't enough to get on my nerves, so I think i'll be getting rid of my old DS lite.  I also saw there was a Nyko Battery attachment that doubles the battery life of the 3DS, so I think I might grab that before my next trip. 

Overall, very happy with my purchase, and I'm sure my current games will tide me over well in the meantime until some more meaty experiences show up :)

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: March 31, 2011, 07:43:34 PM »
What 3DS games are you guys looking forward to?

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #1920 on: March 31, 2011, 07:56:25 PM »
All three announced Mario games, hands-down.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: March 31, 2011, 08:29:47 PM »
All three announced Mario games, hands-down.

plus Animal Crossing and Resident Evil.

J.P. Corbran

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: March 31, 2011, 09:09:46 PM »
Ocarina of Time 3D
Links Awakening.

Something I've wanted to see since the original DS as well as on the Wii has been a RTS game.  I think that touch-screen controls and motion controls like the wii remote would work perfectly for this genre, and truly believe that was the wasted opportunity of this gen's consoles (for all of them now that they have some type of motion control).

Also, now that I think of it, one thing I think could greatly improve the experience of something like Ogre Battle 64 would have been wii remote or touch-screen control.  I think it would have made it a more fluid game and help with the speed of the game.  So I guess another one on my wish list would be either a re-release of Ogre Battle 64 similar to OoT or Starfox, or a all new Ogre Battle game utilizing those play mechanics with a revamp of the control scheme to completely utilize touch-screen controls.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1923 on: March 31, 2011, 10:26:49 PM »
Mario Kart for online play.  Resident Evil for in-the-dark-scary-time.  Animal Crossing for something to play daily for years.  And Mario 3D forever.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: March 31, 2011, 11:43:34 PM »
"Something I've wanted to see since the original DS as well as on the Wii has been a RTS game."  LOL, there is another me?  Ever since they announced the WII I've been waiting for all those PC's point & click RTS games and recieved none.  RTS games never sold all that well on a console but I thought this genertation they might actually try.

Wouldn't mind seeing a another Japanese RTS/RPG hybrid.