Author Topic: From Seattle Post-Intelligencer: $250 on Nov. 19  (Read 34605 times)

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
RE: From Seattle Post-Intelligencer: $250 on Nov. 19
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2006, 07:45:49 AM »
When has a console every been released with multiple colors?  I can't think of one because it is more important to simply ship more numbers for launch then to make less but to let you buy it in sky blue.

This price seems very good to me.  It is reasonably priced, leaves room for a pricecut in the future and keeps Nintendo from bleeding money like every other console maker.  If selling the system at $250 scares away 3rd parties where will they go?  The only other places to go cost $400 and $600 so I guess they will just be scared out of the industry.

I just can't wait to here everyone talk about how much they love Wii sports after they get it at launch after all this bitching.  I would have paid full price for it.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:From Seattle Post-Intelligencer: $250 on Nov. 19
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2006, 07:50:35 AM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
When has a console every been released with multiple colors?  I can't think of one because it is more important to simply ship more numbers for launch then to make less but to let you buy it in sky blue.

This price seems very good to me.  It is reasonably priced, leaves room for a pricecut in the future and keeps Nintendo from bleeding money like every other console maker.  If selling the system at $250 scares away 3rd parties where will they go?  The only other places to go cost $400 and $600 so I guess they will just be scared out of the industry.

I just can't wait to here everyone talk about how much they love Wii sports after they get it at launch after all this bitching.  I would have paid full price for it.

The thing is that on Xbox 360 and PS3, 3rd party is about the only place to go for good to great games. On Nintendo consoles you have Nintendo games to deal with and that is why 3rd parties have always struggled, this will compound that problem. Also the Gamecube was released in two colors .
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BigJim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2006, 07:51:16 AM »

When has a console every been released with multiple colors?

GameCube... Black and Indigo. (Not that I care about the color discussion. Just sayin'.)
"wow."

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2006, 07:53:00 AM »

When has a console every been released with multiple colors?

Gamecube. :| Bad memory?

"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2006, 08:06:05 AM »
I didn't buy a gamecube until about a year ago.  Also the gamecubes original color was purple!  It needed the option while the Wii looks great in white.

Offline getter77

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2006, 08:33:03 AM »
Bah, the Temptation for Greed thread is haunting me now.

If I happen to get a Wii for Christmas or a late Nov b-day present then that's all well and good.  However, at these kinds of prices, it won't be until sometime in 2007 prolly until I'd get around to shelling out that much.  It doesn't matter to me how much worse the price breaks down for the 360 and PS3 are in some respects, 250 is still 250 in absolute terms at the end of the day.

To me, we've reached a dark chapter in the history of gaming when a proper controller costs more than a standard game itself that isn't Steel Batallion.

On the flip side, I saw a blurb from the transcribin's and such saying the Wii will be region free in the same vein as the DS....unless publishers specifically decide to be d-bags about it.
The Exiled Videogame Enthusiast

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2006, 08:41:02 AM »

I didn't buy a gamecube until about a year ago.  Also the gamecubes original color was purple!  It needed the option while the Wii looks great in white.

The Wii looks like it clashes with EVERYTHING IN MY ROOM in white.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2006, 08:42:49 AM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo

Then that means it's time to re-decorate your room.  Get to it and stop bitching.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2006, 10:45:09 AM »
Another option is to place a DVD case on top of it to hide its clashiness.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2006, 10:51:29 AM »

No other console has ever launched with Zelda either, but if Nintendo pulled TP out of the launch window everyone would be plenty pissed about it, because they promised.

It's fine if they launch with one color, but Nintendo should not have touted the multiple launch colors at the E3 unveiling.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2006, 10:53:29 AM »

The Gamecube launched in two colors... Indigo (which is what I got, that sort of bluish-purplish one), and Black.  

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2006, 11:01:47 AM »

Just pretend it's a window letting in radiant white light from the shining world known as FUN.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2006, 11:05:23 AM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz

No other console has ever launched with Zelda either, but if Nintendo pulled TP out of the launch window everyone would be plenty pissed about it, because they promised.

It's fine if they launch with one color, but Nintendo should not have touted the multiple launch colors at the E3 unveiling.

They didn't taunt anything. They have NEVER said there would be more than one colour.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2006, 11:08:59 AM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure
what if people hold off on buying a wii until the black color is available?

*Shrug* Wii will sell out. It just makes more business sense to hold off on black til later, where they can use the color to rekindle people's interest in the console.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2006, 11:11:18 AM »
Just coming in for my opinion on the prices...

Wii + Wiimote + Wii Sports + All-in-one Composite/Component cables + Photoshop/Photo stuff = 250 is a bloody bargain...

Which of course is somewhat counter-attacked by the nunchuk and Wiimote being sold separately, but oh well...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2006, 11:13:41 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus

They didn't taunt anything. They have NEVER said there would be more than one colour.

Yes they did.

-Travis Touchdown

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2006, 11:16:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus

Yes they did.

Quote?

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2006, 11:26:05 AM »
E3 2005... the many colors of the Revolution

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2005/05/revolution.jpg

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 14, 2006, 12:00:32 PM »
Um, they said they were POSSIBLE colors...Anyone remember them showing a billion colors of GBA and GC before their releases?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 14, 2006, 12:34:55 PM »
Any color is possible in theory... I'll have to dig up my VCD of the broadcast, but I'm almost certain they said they were launching with these and "possibly some others"

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2006, 12:36:02 PM »
They didn't.  In fact, I recall them saying that they were pretty sure they'd only launch in ONE color.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 14, 2006, 12:47:56 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
They didn't.  In fact, I recall them saying that they were pretty sure they'd only launch in ONE color.

hmm... I could've sworn they did.

Seems kind of silly to show off all these great colors and say "look at all the cool colors you could theoretically buy if we were going to sell them, which we probably won't". It's not like no one knew it was theoretically possible to color plastic before E3 '05.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2006, 12:57:42 PM »

Seems kind of silly to show off all these great colors and say "look at all the cool colors you could theoretically buy if we were going to sell them, which we probably won't". It's not like no one knew it was theoretically possible to color plastic before E3 '05.

I'm sure it was done to see early reactions to it. Had one particular color taken off in a large way (like, let's say at random, the press focused on the red and general reaction was favorable toward it) they could possible make it either the main color or an alternate that would follow after launch.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2006, 12:58:44 PM »
I'm still a little heartbroken over the last of a Wii in "Nintendo Red".  I'm sure I'll get over it.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2006, 01:41:46 PM »
My take on price, since I find the color thing kind of frivolous: 1, that motion-control technology must be expensive, and 2, there is no excuse for it being cheaper in Japan than here, Wii sports or no. And if the price is a reflection of Nintendo's desire to make profit off controller sales, they're complete, irredeemable idiots.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.