We store cookies, you can get more info from our privacy policy.
WiiU

Wii U Possibly Launching on November 11

by Neal Ronaghan - September 4, 2012, 8:01 am PDT
Total comments: 46 Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRiAVv9Br3Q

A supposed screencap of a game distributor says the system will come in three bundles.

The Wii U might be hitting stores a week earlier than expected, according to a video containing information from Video Products Distributors.

The listing states that the system will come in three different bundles. A $249.99 bundle that appears to be just the system, a $299.99 bundle that likely comes with a game, and a $349.99 bundle that likely comes with either two games or a game and an array of accessories.

Video Products Distributors works with several big-name sites, including Amazon, Overstock, Blockbuster, and NewEgg.

This information is contradictory to most rumors and reports regarding the Wii U launch date in North America, which many assume will be November 18. We will likely find out for sure on September 13 at a Wii U-focused event hosted by Nintendo of America in New York City.

We are currently waiting for a response from Video Products Distributors to confirm the validity of this screen capture.

Talkback

Glad0sSeptember 04, 2012

A quote from me, on August 16:


"I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say something a bit ballsy........the thing launches November 18, with two different bundles. One is a "casual" bundle, packed with NintendoLand and the base system, at 250$. The other is a "hardcore" bundle which includes Pikmin 3, a Wiimote +, and the base system, at 300$."

If you add 50 dollars to both of those prices, and add yet ANOTHER bundle with nothing extra for 250$, then I was pretty damn close.

geoSeptember 04, 2012

What would the bundles have if they came out?  Would they really have one without a game?  Would the higher end one have 2 gamepads?

Bman87301September 04, 2012

If accurate, this would go right along with my original prediction:

$250-- console, Wii Remote+, Nunchuk, GamePad
$300-- console, Wii Remote+, Nunchuk, GamePad, NintendoLand
$350-- console, Wii Remote+, Nunchuk, GamePad, Wii Fit U, Balance Board, Pedometer

Bman87301September 04, 2012

Quote from: geo

What would the bundles have if they came out?  Would they really have one without a game?  Would the higher end one have 2 gamepads?

Seeing how Nintendo generally doesn't pack-in games with their systems anymore and Wii was a clear exception, they obviously would-- especially if it were the only way they could offer an SKU as low as $250. As for the $350 one, there's no doubt in my mind that it's simply a Wii Fit U/Balance Board bundle. Nintendo would be absolutely foolish not to offer one.

As great as a 2 GamePad SKU would be, it's not gonna happen-- Nintendo already specifically stated there would be one GamePad per system, and multi-GamePad games will require one be brought over from a foreign Wii U. They stated their plan for the system, and knowing Nintendo's stubbornness, they're not going to deviate from that.

CaterkillerMatthew Osborne, Contributing WriterSeptember 04, 2012

I don't think anyone should get excited about $250 no matter what. As happy as that would make me, expect $300 at the least. I remember how many of us were when Wii was announced at $250, we all thought for sure $200 or even $150 would be the way to go and then got super pissed with the $250 price tag. Still it didn't mean a darn thing as far as we could tell since everyone and their mommas bought one, I'm some cases more than 2.

I always forget that Wii Fit U is likely a launch title. Talk about a stealth killer app. Wouldn't be surprised if that's a featured bundle, since billing the machine as the "new Wii Fit" could probably hit that audience they love so much.

Fatty The HuttSeptember 04, 2012

I'll take a stab with:

All bundles will come with Nintendo Land
Bundle 1: the "I already have a Wii" bundle. System and Gamepad only.
Bundle 2: add in WM+ and Nunchuk
Bundle 3: Same as Bundle 2 with NSMBU, maybe a special colour.

Bman87301September 04, 2012

Quote from: Glad0s

A quote from me, on August 16:


"I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say something a bit ballsy........the thing launches November 18, with two different bundles. One is a "casual" bundle, packed with NintendoLand and the base system, at 250$. The other is a "hardcore" bundle which includes Pikmin 3, a Wiimote +, and the base system, at 300$."

If you add 50 dollars to both of those prices, and add yet ANOTHER bundle with nothing extra for 250$, then I was pretty damn close.

There's no way they're going to offer an SKU without a Wii Remote+. Also, do you really think they won't offer a Wii Fit U/Balance Board bundle?

CericSeptember 04, 2012

Quote from: Fatty_The_Hutt

I'll take a stab with:

All bundles will come with Nintendo Land
Bundle 1: the "I already have a Wii" bundle. System and Gamepad only.
Bundle 2: add in WM+ and Nunchuk
Bundle 3: Same as Bundle 2 with NSMBU, maybe a special colour.

Bundle 1: Base System (White)
Bundle 2: With Game (White)
Bundle 3: With Game, WM+, Nunchuk, Maybe Harddrive (Black)

That's how NoA could maximize there money.  There are people on this forum that would be a $100 premium for Black.  Throw in something they probably going to buy anyway (Harddrive) and you gold.  Though in my Mind I would love to see:

Bundle 1: System
Bundle 2: System + Game
Bundle 3: System + Game + Shell with Harddrive in it and Network Ports.

Bman87301September 04, 2012

Quote from: Ceric

Bundle 1: Base System (White)
Bundle 2: With Game (White)
Bundle 3: With Game, WM+, Nunchuk, Maybe Harddrive (Black)

That's how NoA could maximize there money.  There are people on this forum that would be a $100 premium for Black.  Throw in something they probably going to buy anyway (Harddrive) and you gold.  Though in my Mind I would love to see:

Bundle 1: System
Bundle 2: System + Game
Bundle 3: System + Game + Shell with Harddrive in it and Network Ports.

I'd call that wishful thinking. You're looking at it too much from a gamer's perspective-- Nintendo doesn't think the same way as Microsoft and Sony. A network/harddrive model simply isn't Nintendo's style. As for Memory, they'll simply include an SD card, just as with the 3DS. The USB ports will always support a harddrive as an option, but Nintendo will expect you to buy it on your own.

CericSeptember 04, 2012

Quote from: Bman87301

Quote from: Ceric

Bundle 1: Base System (White)
Bundle 2: With Game (White)
Bundle 3: With Game, WM+, Nunchuk, Maybe Harddrive (Black)

That's how NoA could maximize there money.  There are people on this forum that would be a $100 premium for Black.  Throw in something they probably going to buy anyway (Harddrive) and you gold.  Though in my Mind I would love to see:

Bundle 1: System
Bundle 2: System + Game
Bundle 3: System + Game + Shell with Harddrive in it and Network Ports.

I'd call that wishful thinking. You're looking at it too much from a gamer's perspective-- Nintendo doesn't think the same way as Microsoft and Sony. A network/harddrive model simply isn't Nintendo's style. As for Memory, they'll simply include an SD card, just as with the 3DS. The USB ports will always support a harddrive as an option, but Nintendo will expect you to buy it on your own.

With 3 Skus I wouldn't be too sure about that.

Bman87301September 04, 2012

Quote from: Ceric

With 3 Skus I wouldn't be too sure about that.

Considering the high probability that the $350 one could simply be a Wii Fit U/Balance Board bundle, I certainly would.

BlkPaladinSeptember 04, 2012

The November 11th date could just be the day they ship it to their clients. Since the distributor would get the system before launch so it can work through its channels, I know chains such as WalMart get their shipments days a head of schedule.

PicoliSeptember 04, 2012

Would they really release it on the same day as Paper Mario 3DS?  That doesn't seem likely.

powerclaw1September 04, 2012

This seems really unlikely. It would completely overshadow Paper Mario Sticker Star, which makes no sense at all.

But, let's just wait until the 13th to see what will unfold. (Get it? Unfold? Fine, I'll shut up now.)

CericSeptember 04, 2012

Quote from: powerclaw1

This seems really unlikely. It would completely overshadow Paper Mario Sticker Star, which makes no sense at all.

But, let's just wait until the 13th to see what will unfold. (Get it? Unfold? Fine, I'll shut up now.)

That was a good try but I would have personally went with "But, lets just wait and see what Sticks."

I do see them releasing it the same day as Paper Mario.  Ideally though they do it the week after so you have something to play while waiting in the Garden Section >

Vrgin XSeptember 04, 2012

I still betting on a November 18th launch, but if the 3 bundlr rumor is to be believed...

$250 bundle: system + Nintendoland
$300 bundle: system + NL+ choice of NSMBU or Pikmin 3
$350 bundle : System + NL + Wii Fit U + neeed accessories

If it does come to that, I'll cancel my pre-order for NSMBU, and put the bundle on order. 8)

TJ SpykeSeptember 04, 2012

Quote from: Bman87301

Quote from: Glad0s

A quote from me, on August 16:


"I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say something a bit ballsy........the thing launches November 18, with two different bundles. One is a "casual" bundle, packed with NintendoLand and the base system, at 250$. The other is a "hardcore" bundle which includes Pikmin 3, a Wiimote +, and the base system, at 300$."

If you add 50 dollars to both of those prices, and add yet ANOTHER bundle with nothing extra for 250$, then I was pretty damn close.

There's no way they're going to offer an SKU without a Wii Remote+.

I have to disagree, I don't think there would be a SKU with a Wii RemotePlus. The most I can see happening is Nintendo dropping the price of Wii Remotes from $40 to $30.

Bman87301September 04, 2012

Quote from: TJ

I have to disagree, I don't think there would be a SKU with a Wii RemotePlus. The most I can see happening is Nintendo dropping the price of Wii Remotes from $40 to $30.

I can understand how it may not appear necessary, but judging by what Nintendo seems to have in mind for the system, it's clear they intend the Wii Remote to be just as standard a control option as the GamePad. If they weren't to include at least one Wii Remote with the standard package, developers couldn't work under the assumption that all Wii U owners would have access to one and it would just become a secondary accessory that would rarely be supported. Nintendo isn't going to allow that. The only way I see them having an SKU without one would be if one is packaged around the assumption that the user is upgrading from an original Wii-- in which case I'd still expect a Wii MotionPlus dongle to be included to ensure MotionPlus is the new standard.

Bman87301September 04, 2012

Quote from: Vrgin

I still betting on a November 18th launch, but if the 3 bundlr rumor is to be believed...

$250 bundle: system + Nintendoland
$300 bundle: system + NL+ choice of NSMBU or Pikmin 3
$350 bundle : System + NL + Wii Fit U + neeed accessories

If it does come to that, I'll cancel my pre-order for NSMBU, and put the bundle on order. :cool;

But in order for there to be an option of a choice of NSMBU or Pikmin 3, there would have to be a fourth SKU-- the fact that there are only three would rule that out. Besides, why bother making a separate SKU for nothing more than an additional game that could just be bought separately along side the $250 SKU for the same total price?

Here's a possibility:

$250 Lite Wii Fit U bundle (no Balance Board): White console, lite controllers (assumes buyer owns prior Wii), Wii Fit U game, Pedometer.
Standard $300 package: Black console, standard controllers, HDMI cable, no extra game.
$350 Full Wii Fit U bundle: White console, standard controllers, Wii Fit U game, Pedometer, Wii Balance Board.

Assuming Nintendo really is planning on three SKUs, I think this would be the most logical reason for them to do so. A standard black version for the general audience, and two special white Wii Fit U options for the casual crowd.

TJ SpykeSeptember 04, 2012

Quote from: Bman87301

Standard $250 package: Black console, standard controllers, no extra game.

controllers? The supposed boxart seen at retailers say only the Wii U GamePad will be included, so no Wii Remote and no Wii U Pro Controller.

BlackNMild2k1September 04, 2012

I like Ceric's idea of baiting the core that want the black unit


$250 - (White) System and uMote + $5 uShop download credit
$300 - (White) System and uMote + Nintendoland + $5 uShop credit
$350 - (Black) System and uMote + WiiFitU and Black Balance board + $5 uShop credit

WiiFitU sold separately with white balance board only

~or~


$250 - (White) System and uMote + Nintendoland
$300 - (White) System and uMote + WiiFitU and (white) Balance Board
$350 - (Black) System and uMote & ProController + NSMB2 + Zombie U + 16GB SD card


I see something like that playing out for the Triple Bundle

Yeah, I too think that the idea of enticing consumers to go for the more expensive SKUs by making those the only ones that come in Black could be... dastardly.

I'm also honestly flabbergasted at the idea of THREE SKUs at launch. That is not at all what I expected from Nintendo, and also just the $50 gradations makes it really hard for me to wrap my head around what the step ups from each SKU might be.

Chozo GhostSeptember 04, 2012

I hope at least one of the SKUs offers an integrated hard drive. This is all I ask for.

Bman87301September 05, 2012

Quote from: TJ

controllers? The supposed boxart seen at retailers say only the Wii U GamePad will be included, so no Wii Remote and no Wii U Pro Controller.

Just to clarify, by "standard controllers" I meant whatever ends up being their standard (which I still think will be the GamePad, Wii Remote Plus, and Nunchuk). My idea of "lite controllers" would probably consist of either just the GamePad and Wii Remote Plus (no Nunchuk), or possibly simply the GamePad and a Wii MotionPlus dongle. I don't expect any SKU to include the Pro Controller.

StogiSeptember 05, 2012

Nintendo would be foolish not to include a Wiimote+ in every box. If they want it to be used, and considering their hard push towards asymmetrical gaming, then they have to include it - preferably with a nunchuck as well.

TJ SpykeSeptember 05, 2012

But at this point, most gamers probably have at least one Wii Remote or Wii RemotePlus already. I can see them wanting to keep cost down and just lower the price of the Wii RemotePlus.

StogiSeptember 05, 2012

Your argument is flawed because you assume twice. One, that gamers will only be interested in the Wii U and two, that they owned a Wii. Keeping costs down is a terrible reason to assume.

Ian SaneSeptember 05, 2012

I remember when Motion+ was coming out and we figured that this was going to be the new standard way to control Wii games and Nintendo only made three games that required it.  We thought this would be a mandatory upgrade and Nintendo felt it should just be an optional accessory.  Has Nintendo stated that Motion+ is a requirement for the Wii U?  Obviously the plain remote is supported for backwards compatibility but do Wii U games require Motion+ or can games be made with just the normal remote?  Nintendo might not feel that Motion+ is mandatory for the Wii U.

StogiSeptember 05, 2012

Well considering that Pikmin 3 was shown off with a Wiimote+ and a Gamepad for the users to choose, I think its pretty important.

TJ SpykeSeptember 05, 2012

Quote from: Stogi

Well considering that Pikmin 3 was shown off with a Wiimote+ and a Gamepad for the users to choose, I think its pretty important.

But the GamePad was the default controller, and you shouldn't expect any Wii U games to have the Wii Remote be the default controller. The Wii Remote is no more vital than the Pro Controller is, and the Pro Controller can do everything it can. That is why I don't see the Wii Remote being bundled in, because it will not be REQUIRED to play any Wii U game.

The GamePad wasn't the default controller for Pikmin 3. The Nintendo people were clearly pushing the Remote/Nunchuk combo even before they dropped the GamePad option completely on the second day of the show. That game is built for the Wii remote, and that's the way Nintendo intends for people to play it.

They dropped the GamePad option during the show?

Bman87301September 05, 2012

Quote from: TJ

But the GamePad was the default controller, and you shouldn't expect any Wii U games to have the Wii Remote be the default controller. The Wii Remote is no more vital than the Pro Controller is, and the Pro Controller can do everything it can. That is why I don't see the Wii Remote being bundled in, because it will not be REQUIRED to play any Wii U game.

You're definitely wrong here TJ... Insanolord already shot down your Pikmin 3 assertion, also if you look at a lot of the demonstrations Nintendo clearly DOES have intentions to make games that would apparently REQUIRE the Wii Remote (like that golf tee demonstration). They also showed off videos featuring the GamePad being propped up and used a secondary screen while the player used the Remote and Nunchuk.

In addition, Aonuma strongly suggested they'd likely be relying on the Remote again for the next Zelda. We also already know the new Just Dance game is going to rely on it too. The Remote is clearly very much as part of Nintendo's plans for the Wii U as the GamePad is. Besides, the first Wii was too much of a success to abandon its key innovation. Not retaining it as an integrated part of the system would be like releasing a version of the 3DS without the touch screen-- it would close too many possibilities and would be a step backwards.

Quote from: NWR_Neal

They dropped the GamePad option during the show?

They didn't let you play it with the GamePad the second or third day of E3, is what I meant.  Most likely because it didn't work very well and they didn't want people getting a poor impression from that way. As far as I know the option will still be there in the final product, but everything I heard from the Nintendo reps was emphasizing the Remote/Nunchuk controls, even when they were still letting people use the GamePad.

TJ SpykeSeptember 05, 2012

Bman, I am not wrong. No Wii U game we know of REQUIRES a Wii Remote. Maybe some games like Pikmin 3 play better with one, but you won't need one to ever play a Wii U game.

Chozo GhostSeptember 05, 2012

The Tablet controller has built in motion control, so it does the same thing as a wiimote. Instead of waggling a remote, you waggle a tablet. Same thing basically.

Bman87301September 05, 2012

Quote from: TJ

Bman, I am not wrong. No Wii U game we know of REQUIRES a Wii Remote. Maybe some games like Pikmin 3 play better with one, but you won't need one to ever play a Wii U game.

Then how exactly does the Just Dance game work without it? I'm pretty sure it IS required. Regardless, I actually meant you were wrong about the Wii Remote's relevance to the Wii U, not whether or not any games required it, so you are still wrong. Again, Nintendo has shown clear intent of uses that would require it, so there's more than enough reason to conclude they'd likely include one in at least one SKU, if not all of them.

TJ SpykeSeptember 05, 2012

Just Dance 4 has been confirmed to NOT require a Wii Remote. You can use the Wii Remote or the Wii U GamePad. So far the only use for the Wii Remote has been as an optional controller or for multiplayer. I wouldn't expect a Wii Remote to ever be bundled unless there is a game you literally can not play without one. Right now, every Wii U game announced can be played without needing a Wii Remote.

Anth0nySeptember 05, 2012

I've been hoping for multiple Wii U SKUs. I think this would be a great idea, if true.

Predictions:

$249 - Wii U + Controller
$299 - Wii U + Controller + Nintendo Land (eshop voucher)
$349 - Wii U + Controller + Nintendo Land (eshop voucher) + Wii U Pro Controller + $20 eshop voucher (good for 1 Gamecube game or a bunch of Virtual Console games)

I'm pretty positive on those first two. Things get real interesting at $349. Perhaps they'll opt to just include more storage space in the console. Extra Wii Mote(s)? New Super Mario Bros U?

tendoboy1984September 05, 2012

I am so glad that Nintendo copied adapted the Xbox 360's controller design for the Pro Controller. The Xbox 360 has one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used, so it's nice to see that Nintendo apparently agrees.



Chozo GhostSeptember 05, 2012

Quote from: tendoboy1984

I am so glad that Nintendo copied adapted the Xbox 360's controller design for the Pro Controller. The Xbox 360 has one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used, so it's nice to see that Nintendo apparently agrees.

It might be comfortable to hold, but I have some concerns about shifting my right thumb back and forth from the diamond buttons and the right stick. It might be fine, but I've never used a controller with that sort of configuration so I'm not sure. We shall see in a couple months time.

TJ SpykeSeptember 05, 2012

I love the Xbox 360 controller, very comfortable and easy to use. Probably one of the best controllers I have ever used and I am glad the Wii U Pro Controller essentially copied it.

Chozo GhostSeptember 05, 2012

Quote from: TJ

I love the Xbox 360 controller, very comfortable and easy to use. Probably one of the best controllers I have ever used and I am glad the Wii U Pro Controller essentially copied it.

Nintendo copied the design, but not the button layout. It will be comfortable for your hands, but it might not be so comfortable for your thumbs.

Bman87301September 06, 2012

Quote from: TJ

Just Dance 4 has been confirmed to NOT require a Wii Remote. You can use the Wii Remote or the Wii U GamePad. So far the only use for the Wii Remote has been as an optional controller or for multiplayer. I wouldn't expect a Wii Remote to ever be bundled unless there is a game you literally can not play without one. Right now, every Wii U game announced can be played without needing a Wii Remote.

The problem with that reasoning is that it's only factoring games developed prior to launch. No game currently requiring it hardly indicates any less likelihood of its standardization-- simply that the final package was still being determined during game development and there was always a possibility they might have to leave it out it. But as I've already repeatedly pointed out, Nintendo clearly has intentions for uses that would require it, therefore there's a high probability one will be included just to keep it standardized.

That's not to say it's 100% certain they will pack one-in every/any box. After all, it is pretty safe to assume that virtually all 3rd-party developers will focus on GamePad-based controls automatically anyway, so games requiring the Remote would mostly be published by Nintendo themselves who certainly aren't above packaging a Wii Remote Plus with each game that would need it. But at the same time, when factoring other things like eShop distribution, games that would also require the Nunchuk (which would be expensive to bundle with a game and Remote), and keeping 3rd-parties' options open, it makes a lot of sense to expect they'd make the extra effort to include one standard. So, the assumption that it's not needed is far from safe, that's my point. But only time will tell for sure.

CaterkillerMatthew Osborne, Contributing WriterSeptember 06, 2012

Look at the classic controller closely. I don't know if the 360 controller design was the goal or the coincidental outcome of sticking 2 nunchaks together.

Got a news tip? Send it in!
Advertisement
Advertisement