We store cookies, you can get more info from our privacy policy.

Episode 78: Now With Accents

by Karl Castaneda - November 19, 2007, 2:26 pm PST
Total comments: 25

Over 81 minutes of RFN goodness!

Download in AAC Format

Subscribe to AAC Feed

Download in MP3 Format

Subscribe to MP3 Feed

Subscribe via iTunes (Please rate and review, too!)

It's a bit late, but jam-packed with podcast stuff!

Also featuring the return of RFN Commercial Superstar, Brufus!



On this episode of RFN, we discuss the launch-day troubles of Super Mario Galaxy, get on to some talk about our favorite beers (mine being hypothetical of course), and then dive in to how we get the podcast from our "studio" to our iPod.

In the news segment, we get to some recent happenings on video game films, including Hitman's "R" rating and the Prince of Persia movie finally being attached to a director. Will Mike Newell bring the heat? Time will tell.

As for our feature, it's the one year anniversary of the Wii's debut in North America. Listen in as we discuss the ups and downs of the console's first 365 days of waggle.

See ya next episode, folks!

Credits:

This podcast was edited by Karl Castaneda. Commercial written and performed by Jonathan Metts.

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can also purchase their new album, Rocket Number 9 directly from the record label, or call your music local record store and ask for it!

Talkback

vuduNovember 19, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: NewsBot
Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can also purchase their new album, Rocket Number 9 directly from the record label, or call your music local record store and ask for it!
I noticed that your link transitioned from iTunes Music Store to record label (with a brief link to iTunes Music Storerecord label in Episode 74. I just wanted to let you know that small details such as that do not escape my watchful eye. face-icon-small-wink.gif

We switched the link when the new album came out, because it's not yet available on iTunes.

ShyGuyNovember 19, 2007

Aww yeah...

wulffman04November 19, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Aww yeah...


That's what she said! *pause* OOOOHHHHH!!!

wulffman04November 19, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: wulffman04
Quote

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Aww yeah...


That's what she said! *pause* OOOOHHHHH!!!


Ahhhhh!!!! Forgive me and my high school repertoire of retarded sayings.

I am ashamed face-icon-small-sad.gif

ShyGuyNovember 19, 2007

Don't take this the wrong way, but you guys sounded largely unhappy this podcast.

Well, it was the day before Galaxy. We weren't exactly in gaming bliss. But I don't remember being particularly unhappy... I listened to this episode yesterday and laughed quite a bit and some of what we said. "69!!!"

Nick DiMolaNick DiMola, Staff AlumnusNovember 20, 2007

Nice! Representing on the good beer, Yuengling and Blue Moon FTW! Rolling Rock is also an excellent choice.

YoshidiousGreg Leahy, Staff AlumnusNovember 20, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Don't take this the wrong way, but you guys sounded largely unhappy this podcast.


I've never been happy...face-icon-small-frown.gif

Listening now!

Hey, I listen to the MP3!!!

Hey, I still use the Wii Everybody votes channel regularly!!!

ARGH! Phantom Hourglass hate!!! KILL KILL KILL!!!

I don't get it, this is SO hardcore. The Temple of the Ocean King invites players to OPTIMIZE their performance over repeated attempts, galvanizing you to not only plan and think ahead in the process (or are you so un-hardcore that you can't handle it?), but also utilize new items to open up new paths through the temple. ARGH! Look, I don't like Stealth either. I HATED the small stealth portion in OoT even! But the Temple of the Ocean King is NOT Stealth, it's just puzzle solving where you have to commit to each step as you do it. ARGH ARGH ARGH.

Nick DiMolaNick DiMola, Staff AlumnusNovember 20, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
ARGH! Phantom Hourglass hate!!! KILL KILL KILL!!!

I don't get it, this is SO hardcore. The Temple of the Ocean King invites players to OPTIMIZE their performance over repeated attempts, galvanizing you to not only plan and think ahead in the process (or are you so un-hardcore that you can't handle it?), but also utilize new items to open up new paths through the temple. ARGH! Look, I don't like Stealth either. I HATED the small stealth portion in OoT even! But the Temple of the Ocean King is NOT Stealth, it's just puzzle solving where you have to commit to each step as you do it. ARGH ARGH ARGH.


The Temple of the Ocean King is terrible. Period. It doesn't "invite players to optimize their performance" it FORCES THEM TO. My performance was just fine to begin with, I don't need to play it pretty much after every temple to get better at it. If it wasn't for Zelda II, PH would easily be the worst Zelda of all time.

Quote

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
ARGH! Phantom Hourglass hate!!! KILL KILL KILL!!!

I don't get it, this is SO hardcore. The Temple of the Ocean King invites players to OPTIMIZE their performance over repeated attempts, galvanizing you to not only plan and think ahead in the process (or are you so un-hardcore that you can't handle it?), but also utilize new items to open up new paths through the temple. ARGH! Look, I don't like Stealth either. I HATED the small stealth portion in OoT even! But the Temple of the Ocean King is NOT Stealth, it's just puzzle solving where you have to commit to each step as you do it. ARGH ARGH ARGH.


The Temple of the Ocean King is terrible. Period. It doesn't "invite players to optimize their performance" it FORCES THEM TO. My performance was just fine to begin with, I don't need to play it pretty much after every temple to get better at it. If it wasn't for Zelda II, PH would easily be the worst Zelda of all time.


You're not forced to do anything aside from completing it under the generous time limit. If you wanted to, you could do it the exact same way again and again, but aren't you COMPELLED to improve your performance and use shortcuts via new items like bombs? Isn't the prospect of finishing the level faster enough to get you to seek out new ways to use bombchus to shortcut hitting a switch through a wall, or using a chest to soar over the walls of a maze and simple jump down to the exit?

I just don't get it. This is the most Zelda-like experience I've had since OoT.

Nick DiMolaNick DiMola, Staff AlumnusNovember 20, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
If you wanted to, you could do it the exact same way again and again, but aren't you COMPELLED to improve your performance and use shortcuts via new items like bombs? Isn't the prospect of finishing the level faster enough to get you to seek out new ways to use bombchus to shortcut hitting a switch through a wall, or using a chest to soar over the walls of a maze and simple jump down to the exit?


Nope, the only thing I was compelled to do was stop playing the game because I knew I had to go through the Temple of the Ocean King once again to get the final Sea Chart.

T_T

I just don't get it... I loved PH. I feel like it's the Zelda I didn't get with Windwaker, the Zelda I didn't get with TP.

Nick DiMolaNick DiMola, Staff AlumnusNovember 20, 2007

To each his own I suppose. IMHO TP was the best Zelda ever hands down and even the nostalgia factor I have with ALttP and OoT can't cloud the fact that TP was vastly superior to all other Zelda offerings.

*sigh* I... TP... nvm.

Nick DiMolaNick DiMola, Staff AlumnusNovember 20, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
*sigh* I... TP... nvm.


No need to hold back, I'd love to hear what you have to say about TP.

GoldenPhoenixNovember 20, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
T_T

I just don't get it... I loved PH. I feel like it's the Zelda I didn't get with Windwaker, the Zelda I didn't get with TP.


Yeah, those games you actually got to explore, unlike "Zelda: Phantom Four Swords with a bit more depth". Oh well, Kairon is a goober so it isn't that big of a deal.

DjunknownNovember 20, 2007

It was nice to have the Euro-staff represented. Gives RFN a hint of sophistication and class. Its also good to hear what else is happening elsewhere in the world. You know, put the world in Nintendo World Report. Please bring foreign dignitaries more often!

Neo-Geo right now is going through its growing pains. Once you get games that were released post Samurai Showdown (1993) the quality ramps up. Be on the look out for Shock Troopers if you loved Metal Slug.

I didn't know that John Carmack had a hand in the Doom movie. Then again, story wasn't really Doom's strong point. I trust that Prince of Persia will fare better than that.

My Wii experience 11 months later is more positive than negative. I appreciate it a little more since I had to make the extra effort to get it. I still regulary play Wii Sports from time to time. I do agree that the Virtual Console eased the 'drought'. When I was done with Twilight Princess in mid-Janurary, when I got Mario 64. Played that until mid-feburary when SSX Blur and Mario Kart 64 came out. Played that until mid-march when I picked up Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Picked up Paper:Mario Thousand Year door on sale sometime before Super Paper Mario( thus taking advantage of Wii's backwards compatibility.) Played that until Super Paper Mario came out April 20th. Finished that around Memorial Day weekend, then played Streets of Rage 2 and Star Fox 64, doing various speed runs, and trying to play all the levels in Star Fox 64.

From there, RE: Wii Edition kept me busy until right up until I got Alien Syndrome and Strikers Charged. Played those two until Super Metroid came out. I was 3/4 the way through when I got Metroid Prime Corruption. I beat it at the end of September, when I finished the tag end of Super Metroid. I had my annual Resident Evil fest (Play all the main RE titles in under a month) in October, while squeezing Sin and Punishment, Mario Bros 2j and Streets of Rage 3.

The only game I didn't play on my Wii was the Orange Box, which lasted me right up until Super Mario 3 and Mario Galaxy and RE: Umbrella Chronicles respectively. And I still haven't touched the advanced Portal levels. Suffice to say, I had a busy year with my Wii, with the first the tag end of 2007 and first quarter of 2008 showing no signs of slowing down. How about everyone else? Is it similar? Did it gather dust and played other platforms? What'd you do with your Wii the past 12 months?

wulffman04November 20, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: Yoshidious
Quote

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Don't take this the wrong way, but you guys sounded largely unhappy this podcast.


I've never been happy...face-icon-small-frown.gif


I love you too, Greg

Quote

Originally posted by: Djunknown
I didn't know that John Carmack had a hand in the Doom movie. Then again, story wasn't really Doom's strong point. I trust that Prince of Persia will fare better than that.


Sorry, that was meant to be a joke. Carmack had nothing to do with the movie, as far as I know. Listening back to the podcast, I realized that the joke didn't come across as I had intended, so it sounds like a serious factoid.

Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
I don't get it, this is SO hardcore.


I agree! It's the most hardcore thing in Zelda in a long time, maybe ever. But that doesn't make it fun. And in fact, it clashes with the overall casual nature of the game.

Quote

But the Temple of the Ocean King is NOT Stealth


Wrong. You sneak by the dudes, or take them out if possible. It's just as much about stealth as MGS games, except it's not nearly as good.

Any comments on the return of Brufus? It comes at the very end for some odd reason, so make sure you didn't miss it!

vuduNovember 21, 2007

Jonny, I'll be your GH3 buddy. heart.gif

Pretty good episode overall. I liked it when Jonny wanted to reach across the Internet and smack Mike for being a smart ass. I also liked Greg, but hit didn't seem to contribute a whole lot unless specifically prompted by Karl.

I'm not a fan of Brufus, and I wouldn't be sad to not see him return again.

EDIT: Mike doesn't read the forums, so I don't know why I bother, but I'm going to anyway.

Compare and contract the Retronauts reviews for Sonic the Hedgehog on Virtual Console and Xbox Live Arcade.

Quote

XBLA runs its games on Digital Eclipse emulation software, which... isn't so great. So ask yourself which is better fits your needs: Perfectly replicated gameplay and crisp visuals at a premium, or mushy gameplay and glitchy, blurry graphics with lame Achievements for a discount?

DjunknownNovember 21, 2007

I loved the Brufus skitface-icon-small-thumbsup.gif The fact that even a hillbilly knows the score, you know something's wrong with the reserve system. More Brufus k plz thx

I'm a fan of a the fake commercials. My personal favorite was the one where 'Sean Connery' was like 'Hi I'm Sean Conery, and I need to fire my agent...''

I'm an old fogey I guess, since I still listen via MP3. I don't need iTunes, and for some reason, aac files don't run correctly.

ShyGuyNovember 21, 2007

I use Linux so I don't use the iTunes feed either.

Share + Bookmark





Got a news tip? Send it in!
Advertisement
Advertisement