We store cookies, you can get more info from our privacy policy.
Wii

Opera Browser Pushed Back to April

by Michael Cole - March 22, 2007, 7:25 pm PDT
Total comments: 23 Source: Press Release

The final version of Opera's browsers will hit Wiis next month. Updated with more details from Nintendo.

Opera's browser was scheduled for release in March...but not any more. Today Opera released the following statement:

Opera and Nintendo today confirmed that the Opera-powered Internet Channel for Wii will be available in April 2007, rather than in late March as previously announced. The final release date in April remains to be determined.

Opera and Nintendo are continuing to finalize what promises to be the ultimate Web surfing experience on the Wii console. The two companies are working closely together to meet user requests for browser features and to enhance the overall Wii Web experience.

Stay tuned for more details.

Those hoping to ditch the unstable Wii trial browser will have to wait.


Nintendo has issued their own release on the Internet Channel with a few details on the new features. In addition to this, Nintendo talks about and shows off some of the features on their Japanese page.

INTERNET CHANNEL UPDATE: OPERA BROWSER FOR WII

Since late December, Wii owners have been able to download a trial version of the Opera Internet browser. After receiving substantial and helpful feedback from consumers, friends and family members, Nintendo developers have made a number of improvements to the final version of the browser, including:

* improved zooming and scrolling

* an improved zoomed font

* shortened startup times

* quicker access to "favorites"

* an ability to hide the toolbar

* buttons that will instantly type common preset letters, such as "www" or ".com"

More details about these and other functions will be announced in the near future. To ensure that the browser incorporates all of these enhancements, the final version will be available for download in April, a few weeks later than previously announced. The browser will remain free for Wii owners to download through the end of June. After June, users who haven't already downloaded the Opera browser can go to the Wii Shop Channel to download it for 500 Wii Points.

Talkback

Caffeinated CheeseMarch 21, 2007

Is this the end of the one Wii channel per month thing I've heard a lot about?

MaverickMarch 22, 2007

Well that sucks. Well, kind of. Unless this version is leaps and bounds more advanced than the trial, I fail to see any reason to use it. (Other than to brag to your friends how you looked at naked ladies on your Nintendo) I'll download it of course, since it's free at first, I just don't really see the appeal of surfing the net on your TV with an inferior interface. I guess if all the other computers in the house suddenly crap out, and I just NEED to get online for something, it's good to have the option open.

The Japanese Wii site has a round-table discussion about the internet channel, including movies showing some of the new features. Auto-hide button bar FTW. Enhanced zoom and scroll features too.
http://wii.com/jp/articles/internet-channel/story.html

KDR_11kMarch 22, 2007

I wish the Wii had a more powerful CPU, it can't play H*R videos without lagging like mad.

BranDonk KongMarch 22, 2007

WMV, Quicktime, and MPEG playback is an absolute must, also upgradeable flash support would be excellent.

AcefonduMarch 22, 2007

lol, I quit paying attention to Nintendo's online until now. (5 seconds later) Ahh...there quit paying attention again. Seriously, I've stopped caring. I enjoy Nintendo's games so much online or no online doesn't bother me.

TrueNerdMarch 22, 2007

OH NOZ! HOW WILL I ACCESS THE INTERNETZ?! ALL IS LOST!

BloodworthDaniel Bloodworth, Staff AlumnusMarch 22, 2007

heh, seriously this application was born for YouTube and Wiicade. The resolution on YouTube is so crappy that you don't need to watch it on a PC, and it's far more comfortable to sit back and browse from the couch.

Smoke39March 22, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: Maverick
I fail to see any reason to use it. (Other than to brag to your friends how you looked at naked ladies on your Nintendo)

Hey, it's pretty convenient when you can just turn on your TV from bed in the morning, do your business, then go back to sleep without having to get up and wait for your noisy computer to slowly start up.

NWR_pap64Pedro Hernandez, Contributing WriterMarch 22, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
heh, seriously this application was born for YouTube and Wiicade. The resolution on YouTube is so crappy that you don't need to watch it on a PC, and it's far more comfortable to sit back and browse from the couch.


Its also great for watching online flash cartoons like Homestar Runner. It's the first thing I do in the morning before school and the last before going to bed.

UltimatePartyBearMarch 22, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: Smoke39
Quote

Originally posted by: Maverick
I fail to see any reason to use it. (Other than to brag to your friends how you looked at naked ladies on your Nintendo)

Hey, it's pretty convenient when you can just turn on your TV from bed in the morning, do your business, then go back to sleep without having to get up and wait for your noisy computer to slowly start up.


This made me laugh for inappropriate reasons.

TJ SpykeMarch 22, 2007

The toolbar never bothered me. The zoom does, especially since the default level makes reading anything impossible (I shouldn't have to zoom in just to be able to read). Here are two things I also hope are added:

1)Improved support for Wikipedia (you can edit sections longere than 1 short paragraph)
2)USB keyboard support, it's PITA to type with the onscreen keyboard since it takes so long.

UncleBobRichard Cook, Guest ContributorMarch 22, 2007

Now if only they'll hurry up with the USB Keyboard support.

Or, perhaps, support for my GCN Keyboard... face-icon-small-smile.gif

BloodworthDaniel Bloodworth, Staff AlumnusMarch 22, 2007

Kohler says that the Japanese site indicates no USB keyboard support this time around, but it's something they'd like to do. Internet Channel 2.0 later this year?

2.0! But Sony's already up to Game 3.0!!!\

~carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

NeoThunderMarch 22, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: Brandogg
WMV, Quicktime, and MPEG playback is an absolute must, also upgradeable flash support would be excellent.


Agreed, if they don't include a whole slew of video and mp3/music support, they can't say it's an ultimate web surfing tool.

Bill AurionMarch 22, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: PartyBear
Quote

Originally posted by: Smoke39
Quote

Originally posted by: Maverick
I fail to see any reason to use it. (Other than to brag to your friends how you looked at naked ladies on your Nintendo)

Hey, it's pretty convenient when you can just turn on your TV from bed in the morning, do your business, then go back to sleep without having to get up and wait for your noisy computer to slowly start up.


This made me laugh for inappropriate reasons.

Ahaha, I'm glad I'm not the only one... tpg.gif

IceColdMarch 22, 2007

Well, Smoke was the one who started the thread about masturbating..

CericMarch 23, 2007

On the flipside I think $5 is very reasonable. Also personally I find it might not be something I use as a primary but it does come in handy sometimes.

vuduMarch 23, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: IceCold
Well, Smoke was the one who started the thread about masturbating..
Also shaving his wang.

Smoke39March 23, 2007

Not my wang. Does hair even grow on people's wangs? And besides that, I never confirmed that I was refering to a region that was even adjacent to my wang. Furthermore, bringing up my shaving habbits is completely off-topic.

vuduMarch 23, 2007

Whatever, wang-shaver.

Smoke39March 23, 2007

Well. No need to resort to name-calling. D:<

Got a news tip? Send it in!
Advertisement
Advertisement