Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 553614 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1800 on: March 16, 2011, 09:48:44 PM »
One of the guys on the 8-4 podcast 3DS launch episode said Mario 64 DS works pretty well with the circle pad.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1801 on: March 17, 2011, 08:32:45 AM »
A friend of mine said that he was able to try out the 3DS, as a friend of his imported it from Japan. He actually got headaches from the 3D, which continued even after he stopped using the 3DS. He did have the 3D turned up all the way, however...

I got a mild, lingering headache from my first play session with the 3DS.  During that session I played a lot with the 3D cranked all the way, and also fiddled with the depth slider a lot.  During my 2nd play session, I just used the setting I knew worked for me and... no headache!

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: March 17, 2011, 09:23:45 PM »
I just played Pilot wings at best buy.  The 3D effect is a bit sensitive so its a pain its mounted.  But when I got it in focus it was great.  The plane was absolutely amazing looking 3D.  I pre-ordered PW and Steel Diver.  I couldn't order Bust a Move it said 3/29 but gamestop is still listing 3/27.  Might have to go to a different store?  Dunno. Getting all 3.  I am pumped for launch now.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:25:16 PM by KisakiProject »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: March 17, 2011, 09:28:24 PM »
I'm ashamed, but I need to say it: I'm getting a 3DS with no game. I'm waiting until either Star Fox, Kingdom Hearts DDD, or something else comes along. Anyone want to recommend a lanch title or some other upcoming 3DS game that I should consider buying?

EDIT: Holy crap, -5? Do people really hate me or something? Jeez.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: March 17, 2011, 09:30:25 PM »
TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON: SHADOW WARS! It's like Fire Emblem, but set in modern times. Why is no one else excited for this?!

J.P. Corbran

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: March 17, 2011, 09:33:08 PM »
Meh, I'm not really into strategy games, whether it's in the fantasy or modern setting.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: March 17, 2011, 09:41:02 PM »
Well as long as you're not just ignoring it because of its name, that's fine.

Chris Kohler's Twitter feed from today is making me really excited for PilotWings, what with his complaining about the difficulty and swearing at it because he doesn't want to take the break it keeps suggesting.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: March 17, 2011, 09:43:52 PM »
Yeah, I'm seriously tempted to just go impulse-buy Pilotwings Resort with none of my usual research that I normally do. I've heard some good things about the game.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: March 18, 2011, 01:04:13 AM »
TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON: SHADOW WARS! It's like Fire Emblem, but set in modern times. Why is no one else excited for this?!

Because of the name...

But I will give it a look now that you mention it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: March 18, 2011, 10:28:18 AM »
I wouldn't exactly say that I'm excited about Shadow Wars, but I would like to know more about it. I like strategy games and I've always thought the dual screens lend themselves well to the genre. I'm waiting for early reviews before I get excited about it.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: March 18, 2011, 03:53:09 PM »

Brother, I'm right there with you!
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: March 18, 2011, 09:54:07 PM »
While I enjoy SRPGs I'm taking a pass on Shadow Wars and maybe even dismissing it a bit for one reason. It's a DS game trying to be passed off as a 3DS game. I'm not falling for that crap. I'm not about to pay a 3DS price for a DS game. If this was in a DS box I might be more willing to give it chance even though it's a Ubisoft game. They usually tend to suck when it comes to Nintendo systems I feel.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #1812 on: March 19, 2011, 12:47:06 AM »
Alright. Here we go.

I got to demo a 3DS at a local Best Buy tonight. First, let me preface...

I was born with an eye condition known as "strabismus" (I may have even already mentioned this in this thread previously...not gonna go back and look either.. so meh). And because of this condition, I don't have binocular vision (seeing out of BOTH eyes at the same time a focal point in space) like most folks in this world have. I only see out of one eye, and in doing so, the other eye TRIES real hard to focus on that same point.. but unfortunately, can't. This condition is also known as "lazy-eye" or what have you... it's called numerous things... that's the nicest one, though. :P

So yes. It looks like I'll be saving battery power. My suspicions were correct, and I absolutely cannot see the stereoscopic 3D of the 3DS. For the first time in my life, I truly felt crippled tonight. I would flick the little 3D slider back and forth, and all that I could notice was a regular image with it off. With it turned fully on, I could see the game image but with a "double-image" haze off to the right side of every object emitting a 3D visual effect. That haze is my left eye (as my right eye is my dominant eye) trying really hard to focus on the same focal point as my right. But because of my eyes' condition, I just can't do it. I can't see it. And this bums me out beyond belief. Now I completely understand why I've never been able to see what people are talking about at 3D movies (I saw Toy Story 3 in 3D, and I couldn't tell that a single blasted thing was giving off a 3D visual effect).

So, it looks like if I ever want to be able to experience what all of you are getting ready to experience...I'm going to have to pay for an expensive surgery to "tighten" my ocular muscles in both eyes... and that's a big IF, too. Because it could be an issue with my brain communicating with my eyes. Strabismus can occur from both impairments -- physical or mental.

It all just sucks. I was really looking forward to playing OoT in 3D, too. :'( I'll go crawl into a corner now and cry.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: March 19, 2011, 01:51:50 AM »
Oh my gosh...that really breaks my heart. Seriously. I'm really sorry,man. I hope sometime in the near future you can get your eye fixed...so you can see OoT in 3D. My heart goes out to you.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: March 19, 2011, 02:05:55 AM »
Yeah, I'm in the same boat I think.  Well not as bad as Rachtman but my right eye is developing "bubbles" that blur my vision.  At least I can get an operation though I'll have to drop Two grand per eye since insurance doesn't cover it. 

It does have it's advantages though.  Ever go to the bar and tell that ugly chick that you need more booze?  Now all i have to do is switch eyes :).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: March 19, 2011, 06:01:05 PM »
Battery Test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYir7M00ef4&feature=player_detailpage

Pro Evolution Intro playing on all 4. Wifi On, Sound Off, screen at brightest and 3D on max on 3DS.

Results (incase you don't understand the pic)
3DS - 2hrs 51min
DS Phat - 5hrs 50min
DSiXL - 7hrs 36min
DSi - 8hrs 34min

DSL - not present

But all hope is not lost for those needing a slightly longer boost than that:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/sanyos-eneloop-stick-and-mobile-boosters-will-juice-your-gadget/
&
http://nintendo3dsblog.com/double-your-3ds-battery-life-with-the-power-pak
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 06:41:22 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: March 19, 2011, 06:39:30 PM »
That's bad. Then again I won't have the screen brightness on the highest setting, so that should save another thirty minutes... That's still bad.

IGN's video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeQGkadrCkE   They say it will last two and a half hours, minimally.

That Nyko product is too big, and the Eneloop stick looks like a back massager... lol.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 06:42:19 PM by Caliban »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: March 19, 2011, 10:02:06 PM »
Wow. DSi can last a long time between charges. Shame about the 3DS's battery life. It looks like if the device will see daily use that the user will have to get used to plugging it in daily or bi-daily.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: March 19, 2011, 10:04:14 PM »
I'd certainly prefer more battery life, but I'm already conditioned to plugging my iPhone in every night, so adding this won't be hard. And since I've got a DSi, I already own a second compatible charging cable.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: March 19, 2011, 10:11:34 PM »
Those battery times cannot be correct. My DSi last maybe 4-5 hours on a full charge, no sound, lowest brightness setting, no wireless/internet. Though, it is a launch DSi, so it may just be getting old.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: March 19, 2011, 11:05:49 PM »
I agree, those DSi results seem like bullshit, unless they have changed the battery used in them. My daughter plays hers a lot and we get maybe 5 hours on a full charge. WiFi is turned off.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: March 20, 2011, 12:06:03 AM »
Someone should pay to order me brand new batteries for all my DS systems and I'll run a similar test with each of them. :D

On a related note, don't buy either of those battery "solutions".  Something better is on the horizon. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: March 20, 2011, 04:59:48 AM »
That battery test seems iffy to me.  They didn't even use the DSL which I think was the most popular of the DS versions.  It's the one I have so this test doesn't really tell me anything.

I can't see youtube videos.  I assume the intro is the same in all versions but is it something that would use 3d an extreme amount?  I really wish the test involved actually playing games instead essentiall running a movie on each one.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: March 20, 2011, 07:31:44 AM »
There's so many options for the battery it really isn't much of an issue.  You can buy replacements for $20 (2600mahs) which is double the standard 1300mah.  Hell I replaced my psp's battery with one of those 12000mahs (though I think it only held 8K at most) and was able to get 12 hours on a full charge but I had to pay $40 for the battery.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: March 20, 2011, 12:49:17 PM »
But will the battery be the same size as the standard? And since it's a better battery which the system isn't made for, wouldn't it **** up the system too?