Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 553768 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
The ARM has gone thru so many changes it's now the LEG.
You laugh, but ARM processors actually have a 16-bit mode called Thumb.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
I did not laugh.  This is serious.  Take your delusions of comedy to NWR or something.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Looks like we have the first confirmed 3DS ("future Nintendo portable") game

http://www.wiinintendo.net/2010/05/21/nnooos-next-dsiware-game-spirit-hunters-inc/
Spirit Hunters Inc. is planned for a late 2010 release on Nintendo DSiWare and future Nintendo portable devices.

But then it could just mean that the DSiWare version will also be playable on the 3DS.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:38:55 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Sega to invest heavily in 3DS "Landmark Hardware"
Looking forward to things to come, Nikkei asked Tsurmi the expected question about 3D gaming. Said Tsurumi, "I believe 3D will become a big wave. The Nintendo 3DS is a landmark hardware. We'd like to invest heavily in it."

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Looking forward to things to come, Nikkei asked Tsurmi the expected question about 3D gaming. Said Tsurumi, "I believe 3D will become a big wave. The Nintendo 3DS is a landmark hardware. We'd like to invest heavily in it."

Maybe Sega will have High Voltage Software release a 3DS version of Conduit?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Or it could mean that Bioware and SEGA are planning to release the Sonic Chronicles sequel on the 3DS. This would be even better than releasing it on the DS, but I would have to see the 3DS in action first before I am completely convinced.

A portable Conduit would be a very nice addition to the series. But I want a No More Heroes, Dead Space, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout, Madworld, Dante's Inferno, Punch-out and Red Steel iterations for the 3DS.

Also, Nintendo should outlaw all crappy cooking ans lifestyle games such as those made by Ubisoft such as Babyz and Dogz. This way the 3DS developers can focus only on competent third party games and the image of the device is not tainted by crappy titles.

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile

Maybe Sega will have High Voltage Software release a 3DS version of Conduit?

Even better, how about the HD version of The Grinder.
Now Nintendo systems get both versions, and the 3DS version differentiates itself from the HD version (obviously) by being 3D.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
Would EA make a Dead Space for the 3DS? Imagine the blood and dimemberment in 3D popping off of the screen as you play the game. Although the poorr sales of Extraction might hindere something like this from happening, but I would prefer it over a rail shooter any day.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Also, Nintendo should outlaw all crappy cooking ans lifestyle games such as those made by Ubisoft such as Babyz and Dogz.

Even if they wanted to do this, legally they couldn't (at least in Europe). Why do you think a company like Phoenix Games exist? Go to their website and take a look at some of their games. Some of them are legally questionable when it comes to copyright infringement and the company seems to be proud when they said it only takes them about 2 months to make a game. All of their games are EU only because laws in Europe prevent console manufacturers from denying publishers permission to release games. There is also the factor that these shovelware games sell pretty well and every system has them.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Would EA make a Dead Space for the 3DS? Imagine the blood and dimemberment in 3D popping off of the screen as you play the game. Although the poorr sales of Extraction might hindere something like this from happening, but I would prefer it over a rail shooter any day.

Dude.  Don't get excited about stuff popping out of the screen.  I just don't think it will happen.  (But I really hope I'm wrong).

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
Dude.  Don't get excited about stuff popping out of the screen.  I just don't think it will happen.  (But I really hope I'm wrong).

I hope so to, and I think so because the 'in-depth' 3D can already be done with head tracking software and the DSi's front camera, so why would a special screen be needed... I don't think it will be movie experience 3D but this is Nintendo we're talking about, I highly doubt it would be some cheesy form of 3D, they know the kind of companies they're forced to compete with, releasing anything less than stellar in this gaming environment is akin to suicide
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
I don't care for the popping out 3D...I am just hoping for very good depth 3D....yes head tracking can do some of it, but I wonder how many layers deep it can go?

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
I don't care for the popping out 3D...I am just hoping for very good depth 3D....yes head tracking can do some of it, but I wonder how many layers deep it can go?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eClqr828Bp0

Video of the games start @ 0:51. They show two games, the game in the second video is shallower than the first, but to me that says it depends only on design. The walls shown could easily be set to display other things, or move as your character moves. It would be totally pointless to make the 3DS use this type of setup to accomplish 3D; it would seriously limit it uses, as you have to move the system or your head to accomplish the effect, potentially blurring glameplay which in an FPS that split second of disorientation could cost you a life, also: It's already possible! If Nintendo were going to push this technology why not just do it on the DSi? It would save them money and they could keep the DS's successor back until they fully see what Sony and Apple are going to do with their next handhelds--PSP2, iPad 3G, iPhone 4--and launch it whenever ready.

I'm actually hoping developers can find a way to integrate head tracking and the 3D visuals of the 3DS together for puzzle games, and 'storybook' games. 
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Thanks for the video.  I have actually already seen that.  But I have noticed most of the games that use the camera technique have limited action and animation.  I am hoping that with newer technology the depth will allow more going on.  But I must say, if all games can look that good on the Nintendo 3DS, I would be happy.  I am not much of a fan of the actual game design...the puzzles look like it would eventually get old for that game, but it is amazing none the less.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Just so people don't get confused, that video is not 3D and is not 3DS.
Also that video shows 2 levels from the same game.

That game gives a false sense of depth through head tracking and traditional 3D imagery
3DS will give a real sense of depth, likely with a bit of pop-out but much more in-screen depth.

MJ, Nintendo is the trend setter in the handheld sector, they move forward and the competition follows, so there would no point to waiting to see what Sony and Apple are doing, since Sony is waiting to see what Nintendo is doing and Apple doesn't really care what either of them are doing since they are gonna upgrade the iProduct on a yearly basis anyway.

But I'm really hoping that Nintendo is able to use the headtracking of the camera to increase the 3D visual area while also using it for gameplay like that DSi game. That would already set them 1.5 steps ahead of whatever the competition was planning, but if they could do that, I wouldn't expect them reveal that part of the 3DS until later in the year, when they had an actual game to show it off.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
What I meant was that the 3D functionality of the 3DS could allow blood spatter from the game to appear on the screen and with enough times you have to shake the 3DS to clean the blood off the screen. Something like this would be good for a No More Heroes or Dead Space or some other mature title for the console.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
That's why you're still a kid!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile

That was the first game that came to mind when Kytim mentioned wiping off splatter. Wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
As most have already said, headtracking is not 3D. It's flat images given depth which is completely different.

Real 3D provides a roundness to the video image that hasn't been mimicked by a game before. How will that help gameplay? Well for one it'll allow you to use the skill we already have to judge depth, so things like Sports+ frisbee would seem even more realistic. But that's all I can really think of, realism and realistic depth.

I'm sure Nintendo is not just trying to ride the newest fad but instead integrate it into ideas they've already come up with. Well...at least I hope so.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I'm still convinced that there is more to it. The "3D Control Stick" could be a 3D tracked stylus that can play in the depth of the image. That would add lots of gameplay gimmicktry, but I don't have any revolutionary ideas for it's use at the moment other than 3D puzzle manipulation.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile

That was the first game that came to mind when Kytim mentioned wiping off splatter. Wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.

IIf Nintendo is going to prevail against Apple's Ipad and Iphone they need to make the 3DS appeal more to adults than the DS ever did in the past. With the 3DS third parties need to succeeed and I see such games as No More Heroes and Dead Space making the mature 3DS titles. Nintendo should challenge the third parties to make mature content for the 3DS.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
I'm still convinced that there is more to it. The "3D Control Stick" could be a 3D tracked stylus that can play in the depth of the image. That would add lots of gameplay gimmicktry, but I don't have any revolutionary ideas for it's use at the moment other than 3D puzzle manipulation.

Hypothetically, if a Dead Space or No More Heroes game were released for the 3DS the 3D stylus could be used for the gameplay. For example, you could shake the stylus like the wiimore and recharge your battery for the NMH 3DS game. The same goes for Dead Space 3DS, imagine using the 3D stylus to shake off necromorphs. I see a lot of gameplay potential in store for the 3DS and what ever games come out on it.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
I never thought of using the stylus like that, and with the presumption that the 3DS will have at least 1--I'm betting on 2--front facing camera(s) the movement of the stylus in 3D space could easily be tracked. This is more of a stretch, but they could go as far as to give the stylus a small accelerometer and bluetooth radio to give it more purpose and use when using it away from the screeen. I imagine targeting a portion of a boss on screen and then a separate portion off-screen and then swiping with the stylus while still above the screen to quickly perform the dual--or more--attack. They could have the stylus charge when plugged into the 3DS and ask developers not to go overboard on the stylus motion inputs for the sake of the tiny battery. 

About the 2 cameras, with all the photography software Nintendo gave the DSi I'm anxious to see what they do with the 3DS. They aren't big right now, but 3D camera's are going to be a big thing when everyone starts upgrading to the technology: TV's, digital photo frames, PC's etc. If Nintendo can get an early lead and--maybe using Tegra for HD--have a device capable of simple 3D photography that can be displayed on your TV through the Wii they could really be market leaders and become even more of a household name--especially when the Wii gets its upgrade. 

This could be the true fruition of the blue ocean strategy. Either Nintendo (Iwata) has known all along that focusing on video games alone was too short-sighted to sustain the company, or this is Nintendo returning to the old days of colossal missteps.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
I never thought of using the stylus like that, and with the presumption that the 3DS will have at least 1--I'm betting on 2--front facing camera(s) the movement of the stylus in 3D space could easily be tracked. This is more of a stretch, but they could go as far as to give the stylus a small accelerometer and bluetooth radio to give it more purpose and use when using it away from the screeen. I imagine targeting a portion of a boss on screen and then a separate portion off-screen and then swiping with the stylus while still above the screen to quickly perform the dual--or more--attack. They could have the stylus charge when plugged into the 3DS and ask developers not to go overboard on the stylus motion inputs for the sake of the tiny battery.

About the 2 cameras, with all the photography software Nintendo gave the DSi I'm anxious to see what they do with the 3DS. They aren't big right now, but 3D camera's are going to be a big thing when everyone starts upgrading to the technology: TV's, digital photo frames, PC's etc. If Nintendo can get an early lead and--maybe using Tegra for HD--have a device capable of simple 3D photography that can be displayed on your TV through the Wii they could really be market leaders and become even more of a household name--especially when the Wii gets its upgrade.

This could be the true fruition of the blue ocean strategy. Either Nintendo (Iwata) has known all along that focusing on video games alone was too short-sighted to sustain the company, or this is Nintendo returning to the old days of colossal missteps.

I just want Nintendo, EA and Bioware to give me Mass Effect 3DS. I am curious to see how 3D could be used in the gameplay of Mass Effect. No More Heroes and DEad Space would not be bad either if they were done right.

Offline mudjah

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Can't wait til e3 ...wanna know the specs on this thing now.

Is it gonna be super high tech or jus slightly updated DS.

exciting times.
3ds Code: 3566-1652-1241
Psn id: jbz-1973