Author Topic: Sony bad-mouths Nintendo yet again  (Read 19702 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Sony bad-mouths Nintendo yet again
« on: October 10, 2009, 06:32:04 AM »
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=99531

"In an industry that's certainly had its challenges this year, we like to say that the environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry. We have a brand that can play on a worldwide basis, young and old, male and female, where our competition tends to be relegated to either select regions or to select consumer audiences. ...We don't have unlimited money, we cater to a more mass market audience. I think we're willing to take a little bit more risk than a competitor like Nintendo is and ultimately we deliver to the masses on a worldwide basis and that's what we've done for the last 15 years." - SCEA boss Jack Tretton

This Jack Tretton jerk really deserves to have his mouth smacked for such rude comments.  >:( Seriously, Reggie needs to hunt this guy down and punch his teeth in.
is your sanity...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Sony bad-mouths Nintendo yet again
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 06:49:33 AM »
No, you're supposed to give him a NOBEL PRIZE.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 08:09:22 AM »
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=99531

"In an industry that's certainly had its challenges this year, we like to say that the environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry. We have a brand that can play on a worldwide basis, young and old, male and female, where our competition tends to be relegated to either select regions or to select consumer audiences. ...We don't have unlimited money, we cater to a more mass market audience. I think we're willing to take a little bit more risk than a competitor like Nintendo is and ultimately we deliver to the masses on a worldwide basis and that's what we've done for the last 15 years." - SCEA boss Jack Tretton

This Jack Tretton jerk really deserves to have his mouth smacked for such rude comments.  >:( Seriously, Reggie needs to hunt this guy down and punch his teeth in.

"Rude"?  Oh give me a ****ing break...stuff like this is why I can't stand Nintendo fanboys.  The guy's a Sony PR guy!  Do you really expect him to state that a Nintendo brand being dominant in the industry is what's best for it?  All companies have someone out there who says silly things on behalf of their company to try to spin things that make them look favorable.  Sony has Jack Tretton; Nintendo has Reggie and Cammy; and Activision has their president, for example.

Now, Tretton spins an awful lot of hyperbole about what Sony's been doing in the HD era, but it's not all ridiculous.  Sony has been more bold than Nintendo of late in trying to develop new IPs and trying to get worthwhile new IPs on their platform.  Uncharted, Resistance, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet, The Last Guardian, etc. are all recent Sony ventures.  Meanwhile, if it's not the core of Mario; Metroid; and Zelda for Nintendo, it's the latest Wii (add new title here) string of tech demos and casual whatevers.

Now, on the flipside Sony trying to make the case that they're going for the mainstream whereas Nintendo's been going for the niche is one of the most laughable statements I've ever read.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:19:52 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 10:10:46 AM »
Jack Tretton knows he won't be with Sony much longer. Also, Sony does have **** tons of money.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 10:22:58 AM »

Naw, it's so obviously marketing blather that nobody's gonna take it seriously anyway.

His desperation is palpable though...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 10:26:54 AM »
I don't know about rude, but where's this Sony innovation we're hearing about?

I mean, they didn't even copy Nintendo's motion controls... they copied Microsoft copying Nintendo's motion controls..... ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 01:51:07 PM »
Releasing an affordable, apple-styled, all-ages, both-genders, fun times system = NOT RISKY

Releasing a $600 blu-ray player with promises of RRRidge RRRacer and massive damage, that only techies and well-off fanboys can justify buying?

Tretton's got a point.  Sony has balls.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 02:01:33 PM »
I agree with Broodwars. More smack talk please, this isn't the Gamecube era
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 02:15:25 PM »
"Tretton's got a point.  Sony has balls."

Motion-sensing balls.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 02:52:52 PM »
Also, Sony does have **** tons of money.

Yeah, but for the last couple of years they've been losing more and more of it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 03:07:15 PM »
"Tretton's got a point.  Sony has balls."

Motion-sensing balls.

and they glow in the dark, glowing blue balls.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
Totally agree with BroodWars here.  This all really comes down to how you define "risk".

Nintendo risked that their forays into alternate control schemes with the DS and Wii wouldn't catch on with the gaming mainstream.  They also put out risky, unproven products like Wii Fit Plus and Wii Music.

Sony has taken several MAJOR gambles this generation, starting with shoving Blu-Ray into the PS3 to give it a $600 price tag.  Then you also have the fact that they relied on original IPs for the first two+ years of the PS3's life, then pushed Playstation Home, and then pushed the PSPGo to move into digital distribution.

The major difference is that Nintendo's risks have been "calculated" risks, whereas Sony's risks have been experimental to the point that you say "Ummm...neat concept, but how the hell are they going to make any money with that?"

What I like is that both Sony and Nintendo have taken a lot of chances this generation, and they'll both learn from each other's mistakes and successes.  I think that's really what's best for this industry, not whether or not Nintendo or Sony "wins".
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 04:57:16 PM by NWR_Lindy »
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 08:34:55 PM »
Nintendo's products help the sick and disabled, and may one day help prevent terrorists from getting on planes. Surely there is an obvious hierarchy of greatness this gen we can agree on?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 02:58:52 AM »
I don't think Blu-Ray was seen as a risk when Sony decided to put it into the PS3. It looks risky in retrospect, but that's because of the Sony phail train.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 03:53:48 AM »
Sony probably thought everything they did was perfectly logical, a risk shouldn't count if you don't realize it is one when you take it.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 03:59:58 AM »
Sony probably thought everything they did was perfectly logical, a risk shouldn't count if you don't realize it is one when you take it.

By that logic, nothing Nintendo's done in the past decade or so outside of handing Metroid Prime to Retro would count.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 05:33:22 AM »
My impression is that Sony had gotten very very sloppy and arrogant -- other parts of the company desperately wanted bluray to succeed, and SCE just sort of assumed the PS3 would be a shoe-in to command the market after what happened with the PS1/PS2 (including PS2's use of DVD to increase market-share), regardless of price (etc).

They didn't carefully think about the consequences of a hugely expensive system, how bluray would drive the price up, and that the DVD->DVD-successor transition was rather different than the VCR->DVD transition.  Of course perhaps more importantly they also didn't consider that Nintendo would get all very creative with their next system and take the market in an unexpected direction...

One can't really blame them for the latter (it's hard to predict the unexpected), but they certainly could have dealt better with the other issues; really, they were just asleep at the wheel.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 06:09:29 AM »

By that logic, nothing Nintendo's done in the past decade or so outside of handing Metroid Prime to Retro would count.

What about when Nintendo said they were taking a gamble on releasing the DS and that their future console plans were kinda being tested by market results of the DS? Then making motion controls the standard of the Wii & not significantly bumping the hardware specs, using mini-game collections & experimental software with peripherals and focusing a part of the market that doesn't even normally play or buy videogames? How could that not be considered a risk when Nintendo stated as much with the play-by-play of their strategy the entire time they were doing it?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 06:25:28 AM »

What about when Nintendo said they were taking a gamble on releasing the DS and that their future console plans were kinda being tested by market results of the DS? Then making motion controls the standard of the Wii & not significantly bumping the hardware specs, using mini-game collections & experimental software with peripherals and focusing a part of the market that doesn't even normally play or buy videogames? How could that not be considered a risk when Nintendo stated as much with the play-by-play of their strategy the entire time they were doing it?

Every time I've ever heard Nintendo speak of the DS and the Wii, I've heard nothing but utter confidence in that strategy.  I can't remember the last time (if ever) I heard Nintendo Corporate publicly state that they weren't sure that something they were doing would catch on.  You might have a point with the DS due to the whole "3rd pillar" thing, but considering the DS was their justification for what they were doing with Wii I wouldn't consider that one of Nintendo's "known risks" as well.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 10:40:55 AM »

Is that fried chicken?!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 11:30:15 AM »
I don't think you can consider Blu-Ray a risk.  Sony simply wanted to force Blu-Ray into people's homes so it would win the HD format war.  Putting it into the PS3 was the way for them to do it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 11:45:05 AM »
Sony launching a handheld to go up against the DS was a risk, after that paid off, making the PSPgo was a risk.
Bluray is a trojan horse, forced into the hands of their most loyal customers.

Is that fried chicken?!

Why? are you jealous? Are you hungry now?

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 02:53:03 PM »
Oddly, Jack is actually right.  There has been no bigger risk in history than the PSP Go.  You remove most of the parts of the predessor and charge double in a system where consumers don't really own their games and you've got to have some pretty big brass balls to expect a product like that to succeed.  Or just be incredibly ignorant. 
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 06:27:08 PM »
Hahaha. Oh wow.

Playstation "winning" is best for the industry? Sony appeals to a more "mass market" audience? Willing to take more of a risk than Nintendo?

This guy is completely laughable.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 07:16:39 PM »
You have to be a dumb motherfucker to think that the PS3 was a risk.

From the PS1 to PS2, Sony added better graphics, online, and a DVD player. From PS2 to PS3, Sony added better graphics, better online, and a Blu-ray player.

How is doing the samething taking a risk?

Like I said, a dumb motherfucker.

black fairy tales are better at sports