Author Topic: Sony bad-mouths Nintendo yet again  (Read 19703 times)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Sony bad-mouths Nintendo yet again
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2009, 03:52:25 PM »
But that's my point. We all knew it would take off. Even Pachter got this one right.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2009, 04:01:15 PM »
"The NES was over 20 years ago, who knows if the level of "love" you are trying to resurrect is still around. How would they know if they can rope back in all the lapsed gamers?"

You missed the station again.

This is nothing to do with resurrecting old feelings or love or junk like that, nor was it about grabbing the old moldy customers.  First an foremost, this is about grabbing NEW customers that the existing products weren't servicing; the few lapsed gamers could follow later, they'll eventually hear about it, but the real numbers are in the new and uninitiated.

Nintendo aimed for the un-tapped un-gaming masses once decades ago, and that's what they aimed and succeeded at today.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2009, 04:19:42 PM »
I know they were aiming at a new audience and that was the risk that they took.(Risk is what we are talking about afterall) It paid off. I simply commented on what you said;

"the Wii/Fit embrace is simply the spiritual offspring of the love surrounding the Nintendo Entertainment System."

But maybe I missed the point you were trying to make since you like to be somewhat cryptic in your wording.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2009, 04:25:36 PM »
Yeah, that's my bad.

Chicken seems to be the theme of the day.  My lunch included those buffalo boneless saucy nugget things from Wendy's.

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2009, 11:49:24 PM »
Nintendo took risks with the Wii launch but since then they've played it super safe.

Er, so what, do you expect them to continuously take risks without bothering to get some benefit from those risks they have taken?  They're reaping the payoff from their previous huge risks, which seems the only sane thing to do!

Sony, who is supposedly so generic and cookie cutter, is constantly introducing brand new IP.

Of course, the only reason they're constantly introducing "new IP" is that they have bugger-all compelling "old IP".

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2009, 02:41:14 PM »
Yet if Nintendo took a risk with a new IP and it turned out to be a good game but bombed I don't think anyone here would be ragging on it.

I suspect you might. I don't understand why, but you never seem to have anything positive to say about Nintendo.

But on this I have to agree with you. I'm very disappointed with the Wii's game library. This may change, and I really hope it does... but I will say you were wrong about Pikmin being the only IP Nintendo introduced for the GC. There was Geist and some others, but these titles failed... they didn't fail because they sucked, they failed because the GC had a tiny userbase of potential buyers and also because those franchises were new and lacked name recognition. Nintendo also failed to advertise those games properly.

So, it is inaccurate to say Nintendo hasn't come up with new franchises in the last 5 years but those franchises flopped for a variety of reasons, and I think this reinforced Nintendo's dependence on their old IPs. This is very unfortunate...
is your sanity...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2009, 02:46:20 PM »
Nintendo came up with Wii Sports and Wii Fit and System Updates.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
They also originally helped Sony with the Playstation. History is such a bitch sometimes.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2009, 04:14:04 PM »
Nintendo's thoughts this generation were

were a big company, but were not like NES big, what could make us NES big?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2009, 04:44:43 PM »
Since Nintendo wants to be NES big, I'm suprised they haven't redone Duck Hunt. DH was the first game I saw teh casuals go for while I stuck to Mario Bros. Who knew that title screen with DH and MB side by side, casual and hardcore would eventually explode into the war we fight so hard for 25 years later.  At least Nintendo made their intentions clear from the begining.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2009, 04:46:28 PM »
Doesn't Wii Play's shooting gallery fill the Duck hunt role?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2009, 05:42:40 PM »
Doesn't Wii Play's shooting gallery fill the Duck hunt role?

It does. Would have been nice if Nintendo threw the dog in there for everytime you shout a duck though.
That would have made for such a nostalgic moment and even more award for shooting the ducks.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2009, 08:01:26 PM »
I'd like to see Duck Hunt fleshed out into a big WiiWare game, redo the main stage and add a few more, with a neat backs tory, like a guy that needs to shoot enough ducks by dusk or else he's evicted by...wait for it.....Zombies!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2009, 08:14:10 PM »
A game like Duck Hunt is too controversial nowadays because hunting isn't a mainstream sport anymore like it was in the 80s, and nowadays you'd piss off a lot of yuppies and animal rights activists. That's why Nintendo gave a nod to it in Wii Play with the shooting gallery game, but there are no live animals you shoot at this time.

Hunting games do exist. Cabelas makes quite a few of them... but its not something Nintendo wants to touch, for fear of alienating large amounts of people.
is your sanity...

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2009, 08:25:26 PM »
Hunting games do exist. Cabelas makes quite a few of them... but its not something Nintendo wants to touch, for fear of alienating large amounts of people.

Didn't consider that.  Its funny how 25 years ago the idea that Duck Hunt would someday be offensive is pretty bizarre.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2009, 08:39:44 PM »
A game like Duck Hunt is too controversial nowadays because hunting isn't a mainstream sport anymore like it was in the 80s, and nowadays you'd piss off a lot of yuppies and animal rights activists. That's why Nintendo gave a nod to it in Wii Play with the shooting gallery game, but there are no live animals you shoot at this time.

You do realize that there are DUCKS* in WiiPlay, hence my comment about using the dog to retrieve the ducks when you shoot them.

*a duck is a live animal ;)

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2009, 05:16:57 AM »
"In an industry that's certainly had its challenges this year, we like to say that the environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry. We have a brand that can play on a worldwide basis, young and old, male and female, where our competition tends to be relegated to either select regions or to select consumer audiences. ...We don't have unlimited money, we cater to a more mass market audience. I think we're willing to take a little bit more risk than a competitor like Nintendo is and ultimately we deliver to the masses on a worldwide basis and that's what we've done for the last 15 years." - SCEA boss Jack Tretton

I'm pretty late to this thread but this quote next to some bottom lines is really, really funny

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2009, 06:37:18 AM »

You do realize that there are DUCKS* in WiiPlay, hence my comment about using the dog to retrieve the ducks when you shoot them.

You do realize that we will probably never see a Duck Hunt sequel with actual ducks, right?  It's barbaric and definitely not considered family friendly anymore to go out and use "live animals" as target practice.  Maybe those redneck hunting games can get away with it because no one really gives a damn about them, but the moment Nintendo does it again you'll see outrage.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2009, 03:07:07 PM »
But... Didn't he just say there are ducks in WiiPlay...? Or am I missing something?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2009, 03:12:43 PM »
But... Didn't he just say there are ducks in WiiPlay...? Or am I missing something?

I never played WiiPlay so i'm not positive about this but..

because he mentioned a shooting gallery within the game, perhaps the ducks being pointed out aren't "real" ducks within the game, but cardboard cut-out images of ducks...?

I dunno, i'm just as confused about that post as you are.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »

You do realize that we will probably never see a Duck Hunt sequel with actual ducks, right?  It's barbaric and definitely not considered family friendly anymore to go out and use "live animals" as target practice.  Maybe those redneck hunting games can get away with it because no one really gives a damn about them, but the moment Nintendo does it again you'll see outrage.

DOUBLEFACEPALM.JPG

They quack, and then a second or so later they fly across the screen. there are ducks in each of the five sections of the shooting gallery, so I don't know WTH Broodwars is talking about. Selective Understanding FTL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQeHjQziSzA
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 03:18:29 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2009, 03:24:07 PM »
Seriously, Internet, what the ****.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2009, 03:44:47 PM »
Yeah, those look like ducks to me.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2009, 05:37:33 PM »
Yeah, those look like ducks to me.

Hey, you guys are the ones who mentioned that they weren't "real" ducks.  I have better things to do with my time than play shitty Wii minigame collections, so the hell if I'd know if it was true or not.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2009, 06:00:28 PM »
But I told you it was there and you just kinda glossed over it.
oh and BTW some of the WiiPlay games are really good and challenging.

You should try tank & air hockey on multi and go for the record on shooting gallery.