Author Topic: Official 2009 NFL Football Season Discussion Thread  (Read 35298 times)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Official 2009 NFL Football Season Discussion Thread
« on: April 14, 2009, 08:06:10 PM »
Well, its that time of year again!  The 2009 schedule has just been released, so get your popcorn ready and take a look!

As a Bears fan, I couldn't be more excited.  Our first game is against Green Pay, on Sunday Night, the premier of Jay Cutler as a Bear!  We've gone through 20 or so QB's since Farve began with the pack, and our chances seem good that we've got a long term solution.

As far as expectations, anything less than the playoffs is a complete failure.  Last year, we were one game away, or should I say one play away (err...stupid squib kick to Atlanta...grrr) from making it in.  This year, our schedule is one of the easiest in the league.  We face only 7 teams who had a winning schedule last year and 5 of those games are at home.  As far as our division, each team still has its own mess to worry about.   This is a huge opportunity for the Windy City after a couple years of mediocrity.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2009 NFL Football Season Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 09:19:31 PM »
I believe I am your counter.

Go Pack Go!

I might be going to game at Lambeau this year, so I'm excited. Looks like if I do go, I might see the 49ners or the Cowboys.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:23:06 PM »
I believe I am your counter.

Go Pack Go!

I might be going to game at Lambeau this year, so I'm excited. Looks like if I do go, I might see the 49ners or the Cowboys.

You should game to the opening game.  Just got done watching Total Access and that's the number one most anticipated game, Bears V Packers, Sunday night!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:01:52 PM »
I am so excited for that game, but the current plan is to go around November, so it's out of the question.

Regardless, I hope Cutler does you guys enough good that it makes each Packers/Bears game interesting. With the Packers winning, of course.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 11:58:13 PM »
I am so excited for that game, but the current plan is to go around November, so it's out of the question.

Regardless, I hope Cutler does you guys enough good that it makes each Packers/Bears game interesting. With the Packers winning, of course.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it as well.  I'm actually very curious to see how Rodgers performs this year now that the Farve drama is over and the onus is on their D to improve.  Should be a good match up, with the Bear winning of course.

Oh, and don't think I haven't forgotten about Atlanta Lindy.  Revenge will be sweet this year on Week 6, prime time buddy, no squibs kicks this time, and hopefully no cover 2 either!

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 02:30:02 AM »
There are going to be riots here in Erie, the second Browns-Steelers game is on the NFL Network which isn't on the local cable.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 10:47:27 AM »
49ers fan checking in to the thread.  I just reviewed our schedule and it looks particularly brutal.  Check out the more difficult games:

Home: Titans, Bears (Thurs night game), Falcons, Cardinals
Away: Colts, Vikings, Texans (they were 6-2 at home last season), Packers (in November), Eagles, Cardinals (Season opener-ugh)

By my count, that's 10 tough games!  My team was 7-9 last season right?  Yeesh.  As we all know, there are no "gimme" games in the NFL, but these are the only other teams that I'm up against that won't be as difficult:

Rams (twice), Seahawks (twice) - good be tough if Hassleback is healthy, Lions (@home for us), Jaguars (@home for us)

I'm really excited about the upcoming season as I believe we are fielding a decent team, but this schedule looks fairly brutal.  Hopefully Coach Singletary will guide the ship through this storm with his "running game" first philosophy.  I'm also going to be living in Seattle come this August, so I'll be able to attend the Seahawk-Niners game in December.  COOL!  I'll be the only guy wearing red and gold.  :)

Oh yeah, looks like I'll be playing D_Average and nron10 back-to-back.  Bring it on fellas!

Edit: Sorry, just had a look at the Jags record last season.  Yikes, what happened to them?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 10:52:08 AM by bosshogx »
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 03:44:35 PM »
Anyone want to fill me in with what's happening with the Saints?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 06:45:35 PM »
Anyone want to fill me in with what's happening with the Saints?

Not looking too good for them.  They're in a tough division now that Atlanta and Carolina have the game back, and they play a stretch of 4 out of 5 games on the road to teams very capable of slowing down Brees and Shockey.  Not to be a party pooper but I see them winning 7 games at best.

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 07:24:41 PM »
Michael Crabtree is a 49er?! OMG, how did the Raiders pass up on him?!  SWEET!!
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 01:12:09 AM »
The Saints got Malcolm Jenkins.  If we can keep building up a decent defense, we can still pull off a good season. 

Hopefully.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 10:47:56 AM »
I know the Draft started yesterday. did it finish yesterday too?

My cousin was up for a NFL Draft pick, I was hoping he would get picked up by Oak or SF so he could get off the Eastcoast and come experience a lil bit of what Cali has to offer.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 02:10:01 PM »
Our new draft pick can jump out of a pool, so yeah, we're going all the way this year.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 03:31:17 PM »
My cousin got picked up by Green Bay!!
not where I would like to see him, but atleast he's on his way to something!!just waiting for official confirmation.

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 09:00:30 AM »
Would that have been Meredith or Wynn?  Those are the only guys picked from the east coast, unless he was picked up after the draft.  Either way, congrats to your cousin!
www.mondaynightcrew.com
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 02:44:44 PM »
Neither of those. I'm sure its a training camp pick up and not an official roster placing.
I had another friend(from HS) that was picked up by an east coast team and then after two years of training camps got traded closer to home Oak. Raiders. Haven't seen him play yet, but I haven't really watched a game in years, so I don't know whats going on with him.

I hope my cousin has better luck. either way he will be making 70k+ a year riding the bench 5th string, so that's not soo bad. I would trade places with him.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 03:57:28 PM »
The people who get paid to analyze these things have been giving the Browns good grades for the draft, so I'm going to get a little more optimistic and say that they might actually win a game this year.

J.P. Corbran

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 09:58:09 PM »
The people who get paid to analyze these things have been giving the Browns good grades for the draft, so I'm going to get a little more optimistic and say that they might actually win a game this year.

Well, they're basically the Jets now, so they should have a good chance of matching last years performance (9 wins I think).

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 10:07:17 PM »
The Jets won 10 last year. They didn't improve the pass rush as much as I'd have liked but they made an already solid O-line even better and improved the receiving corps. They should definitely be looking at doing some Wildcat-type stuff; aside from Michael Vick and maybe Pat White Josh Cribbs may be the best guy in the league for it as an incredibly athletic receiver who played QB in college but they never really did anything with him in the offense last year.

J.P. Corbran

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 02:07:09 PM »
Alright!  Only 2 more weeks till preseason kickoff!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 07:54:13 PM »
Great! How do you think the Eagles will fair this year?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »

They lost Dawkins to Denver, but they still have McNabb, and DeShean should be an even better receiver with one year under his belt.  On top of that they picked up 2 good players in rounds 1 and 2 of the draft.  A RB and another good WR, so their offense this year should once again be explosive.  However, their division is still stacked with Dallas, NY and WA all making moves to take the top spot.  Should be interesting.  If I had to bet, I'd put the division in this order:

Dallas
Phil
NY
WA

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 09:09:46 PM »
Oh, and don't think I haven't forgotten about Atlanta Lindy.  Revenge will be sweet this year on Week 6, prime time buddy, no squibs kicks this time, and hopefully no cover 2 either!

Hmm, I missed this trash-talking entirely.  Ryan/Turner/White/Gonzalez/Norwood/Jenkins/Douglas will make sure it will not go unpunished.  William Moore and Peria Jerry (if we can ever sign the guy) may have something to say about it too.

Chicago?  I don't know man.  Cutler is going to have to adapt to a brand-new system.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 10:49:34 PM »

They lost Dawkins to Denver, but they still have McNabb, and DeShean should be an even better receiver with one year under his belt.  On top of that they picked up 2 good players in rounds 1 and 2 of the draft.  A RB and another good WR, so their offense this year should once again be explosive.  However, their division is still stacked with Dallas, NY and WA all making moves to take the top spot.  Should be interesting.  If I had to bet, I'd put the division in this order:

Dallas
Phil
NY
WA
Hmm is their defense as good as it was last year?
I know Dawkins was a key part of the defense so that is going to be missed.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 10:54:54 PM »
God I miss watching football.

Other than the occasional soccer game (which has become more occasional) there is NOTHING TO WATCH sports wise once basketball is over.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 06:11:55 AM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports