Linked Events

• Silent Hill release: December 08, 2009

Author Topic: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories  (Read 94960 times)

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
« Reply #400 on: January 18, 2010, 03:07:21 PM »
Man, didn't they?  The flashlight is great, and also the little bits of motion sensing for things like unlocking a door or turning a dial - I really liked those bits.

I hate how they implemented shadows though. Great lighting effects with horrific shadows is like a great chocolate cake that's drenched in some really nasty champagne tequila sauce.

Also odd because it reportedly broke the 100k mark.

That's actually fairly heartening to hear. Do you have a link for that though? Last I'd heard, NPD put it at under 50k for December.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 18, 2010, 03:37:30 PM »
I thought half of the price drops on Amazon were made by Amazon to get people to buy stuff? Though I guess we'll see for sure if the price doesn't go back up after a little bit.

Before it's released? Remember, lower prices during the preorder time means all preorders get the lower price, even if they were made before then. It's not a deal of the week by the way, that seems to be the regular price.

So much for that. I was hoping it wasn't the case but it looks like it is.

That's actually fairly heartening to hear. Do you have a link for that though? Last I'd heard, NPD put it at under 50k for December.

It's VGChartz numbers so take that as you will. I found some other places quoting similar numbers, but they could all just be pulling from the VG numbers.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #402 on: January 18, 2010, 04:24:17 PM »
Man, didn't they?  The flashlight is great, and also the little bits of motion sensing for things like unlocking a door or turning a dial - I really liked those bits.

I hate how they implemented shadows though. Great lighting effects with horrific shadows is like a great chocolate cake that's drenched in some really nasty champagne tequila sauce.

The stuff Climax pulled of with lighting and architecture (artistically placed random stuff to fill your environments and usually sensible real world design) makes me wish they had made their own action-adventure (including combat) with this direction and enthusiasm.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 18, 2010, 06:40:35 PM »
I need to borrow this game from my girlfriend dammit! It sounds DOPE YO!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 18, 2010, 09:03:40 PM »
I still need to take it out of the plastic wrapping. :(

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 18, 2010, 10:37:42 PM »
hmm, where's everybody getting these conan pics...?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 18, 2010, 11:34:55 PM »
hmm, where's everybody getting these conan pics...?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=28519.msg578472#msg578472

You may have to resize them to get them to work with the forum though.
I would fix it, but it seems like UB is working on making it so I don't have to.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #407 on: January 19, 2010, 04:48:13 PM »
Tonight Show is a Shattered Memory.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #408 on: January 19, 2010, 05:28:49 PM »
Ever since beating the game, I'm in love.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 19, 2010, 05:33:48 PM »
My review is in for editing, and should be up hopefully in a day or two.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #410 on: January 20, 2010, 02:38:22 AM »
So I just did a little more of my speedy 2nd play-thru, and finished one of the bigger chase/mazes.  I accidentally made a wrong turn close to the end, causing me to end up near the beginning!  Poor Harry had to hobble thru the maze a 2nd time!  Out of flares!

LAFF OWT LAUD

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 26, 2010, 11:27:03 PM »
Climax wants to make a sequel
Silent Hill Wii sequel? Climax is interested...
Tuesday 26-Jan-2010 11:22 AM But you have to buy Shattered Memories!

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories isn't out in the UK yet but developer Climax has told ONM that it would like the opportunity to make another game in the horror series.

"We've always loved working on the series," said Sam Barlow, lead designer on Shattered Memories. "Since Origins we've spent a lot of time with the series. For us we felt we've put our stamp on the series with Shattered Memories so we'd love the opportunity to do another one. So everybody go and buy it!"

It's a feeling that's echoed by game director Mark Simmons. "I think this is the first Silent Hill since one or two where people are saying it has its own identity and people are responding to it really well so it would be great to take that further."

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories will be released for the Wii on 5 March. Will you do as Sam Barlow suggests and buy it?

You can read the full Silent Hill Shattered Memories interview here.

So go buy this for yourself and another copy for your friend.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 27, 2010, 02:23:24 AM »
Delayed to March here...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 27, 2010, 04:46:19 AM »
I hope it turns out to be selling well. I really love this game and want to see more.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 27, 2010, 10:31:55 AM »
I've been wanting to get this game, but I'm on the fence about it because I usually don't like Silent Hill games.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 27, 2010, 10:59:30 AM »
GoNintendo/Destructoid posted a link to a rather amusing video comparing the visuals of the Wii and PS2 versions of the game.  Wow, was the PS2 version even finished?  It's laughably inferior to the Wii version, with really bad draw distance; muddy-looking textures; characters missing from certain scenes (notice in the video where Harry reacts to "nothing" in the Ice, where there's clearly an enemy there in the Wii version); and seemingly the Ice Effect in general being painted onto a scene (observe the bridge that twists into place in the Wii version just "de-ices" in the PS2 version).  Wow...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:04:02 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 27, 2010, 11:54:03 AM »
Maybe people just don't realize how much of a bump the Wii is over the GC which was already more graphically capable than the PS2?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 27, 2010, 11:56:31 AM »
Delayed to March here...

Now they un-delayed it. Weird.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 27, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »
The video reminds me of the RE4 comparisons. The only complaint graphically I have with the Silent Hill Shattered Memories is the character modeling and animation. It looks good in places then it will look stiff in others.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #419 on: January 27, 2010, 12:25:20 PM »
It's a low budget game, after all.  I don't think they had the luxury and money for mo-cap facilities that Capcom seems to have for every game and restroom in their headquarters.

So what you're seeing is everything animated by hand, like Eternal Darkness and early 3D Nintendo game characters.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: February 01, 2010, 11:08:20 AM »
I'm playing it and I'm also in love.

What I don't like is that it seems is going to end soon, it sucks  is so short. I hope they get to make an official/spiritual sequel, because there are many great gameplay elements that should be explored more deeply.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 01, 2010, 01:31:43 PM »
I'm playing it and I'm also in love.

What I don't like is that it seems is going to end soon, it sucks  is so short. I hope they get to make an official/spiritual sequel, because there are many great gameplay elements that should be explored more deeply.

The good news is that it's definitely worth a replay, which essentially doubles the gameplay time.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 02, 2010, 02:09:12 PM »
So I opened this game last night. The opening was like a decent thriller already, the whole time playing (I only played up to the cabin in the woods) I was anticipating things running after me or popping up on the screen for a cheap scare, like that one car commercial where the car is driving and it's all peaceful and then out of no where a witch head pops up on the screen screaming. I was ready for it, but it just never happened. Well, things did run after me but not until the after the freeze (which was really cool and creepy effect at the same time).

I'm looking forward to getting back into this one, the whole therapist angle is pretty interesting with the questionaire and then the the coloring book page.

I set this up as only a late night game to take advantage of the night time setting.
And I was making my girl watch the whole time. She was afraid to because she thought it would be too scary.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 02, 2010, 07:21:41 PM »
your girls a wuss (no offense).

My girlfriend loves scary stuff and was happy when i got her this for xmas. She breezed thru the game like she was hardcore or something.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 02, 2010, 07:24:04 PM »
We watch scary movies all the time, but she was also anticipating something to pop out of no where and scare her the whole time(I've never played SH and she's never heard of it before). I should get her the Grudge game and have some fun with her.