Author Topic: New Play Control Pikmin  (Read 14581 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
New Play Control Pikmin
« on: March 09, 2009, 02:57:10 PM »
So I heard this comes out today.I haven't got to play the original yet. Thanks EasyCure for not sending it yet.You really are a procrastinator.
Video Tour
IGN Review
Price:$29.99
So who plans on getting it?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 03:27:08 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: New Play Control Pikmin
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 04:13:20 PM »
I'm resisting as I have the original and finished it =P.  In fact, when I had the copy at my place for the evening, I didn't let myself put it in the system because I didn't want to like it. =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 04:17:16 PM »
I am on the fence about it, I didn't really love it on GC because of the time limit (Something I don't like PERIOD in games).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 04:42:34 PM »
So if I put a digital 10-hour timer on top of your TV, it'd bother you to no end?

WII FIRMWARE IS BROKEN, MUST HAVE EGG TIMERS
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 04:46:14 PM »
So if I put a digital 10-hour timer on top of your TV, it'd bother you to no end?

WII FIRMWARE IS BROKEN, MUST HAVE EGG TIMERS

I'd turn it off.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 04:59:16 PM »
That's not part of the rules.  It will continue to look at you.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 07:01:21 PM »
I just got the review copy today, so I'm gonna start it tonight. I'm a little distressed about the timer. I didn't know there was a timer, and I'm with GP--it shouldn't be in ANY game.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 07:22:15 PM »
Nintendo deserves equal criticism for Wii ports of Gamecube games. And charging $30 is bullsh*t. Consider that Twin Snakes, a complete remake, was $40 after 6 years. It's been over 7 years since Pikmin. Suck a bag of dicks, Nintendo.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 07:23:13 PM »
Super Mario Bros. has a timer.

Metroids have timers.

That that THING in Castlevania: Rhondo of Blood/Dracula X is LIKE a timer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 07:32:01 PM »
Nintendo deserves equal criticism for Wii ports of Gamecube games. And charging $30 is bullsh*t. Consider that Twin Snakes, a complete remake, was $40 after 6 years. It's been over 7 years since Pikmin. Suck a bag of dicks, Nintendo.

They are technically moderate remakes. The simple solution is to not buy them.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 07:34:26 PM »

Metroids have timers.

Yeah and I don't like the timed "The place is going to blow up" parts in Metroid either. In SMB it was hardly a big deal because the levels were short enough, it wasn't like you had to beat the whole game in 2 hrs or something. In most games I like to take my time and explore without being pressured by a 30 day timer, the world getting blown up by an ugly moon, or saving the princess in one hour.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 07:57:54 PM »
Suck a bag of dicks, Nintendo.

What does that even mean? Like a Doritos bag full of dicks?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 08:01:02 PM »
Never said I was going to buy them (definitely not for $30), just saying that I hold Nintendo to the same standard that I hold other companies that think Wii owners are content with ports. I guess I wouldn't mind the ports so much if they were "in addition to" not "instead of" brand new titles. And changing the controls and aspect ratio hardly counts as a remake in my book.
It's from Hamlet 2. And if you don't know what that is, look it up.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 08:05:38 PM »
I bought both. :)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 08:17:54 PM »
Never said I was going to buy them (definitely not for $30), just saying that I hold Nintendo to the same standard that I hold other companies that think Wii owners are content with ports. I guess I wouldn't mind the ports so much if they were "in addition to" not "instead of" brand new titles. And changing the controls and aspect ratio hardly counts as a remake in my book.
It's from Hamlet 2. And if you don't know what that is, look it up.

I still think they are highly promotional games...

- Pikmin 1 and 2 could be prepping up the release of Pikmin 3 (if its even in the works)
- Metroid Prime 1 and 2 were released because of the success of MP 3 with the media
- Chibi- Robo: Odd choice, but either Nintendo wants the game to shine once more or Skips implemented their technology from Captain Rainbow into this port
- Jungle Beat: Um, maybe this has to do with that Donkey Kong Wii game that's been in the works for years now?
- Mario Power Tennis; I think they are trying to make Wii Tennis controls work with the franchise. So far it has gotten mixed reactions

I don't even see them as replacement for real games, so it doesn't bother me.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 08:47:44 PM »
Funny, Nintendo never needed promotional games before.... except when they gave Ocarina of Time for free to get people to pre-order The Wind Waker. Although, the key word there being "free." Nintendo is making a quick buck, plain and simple. It won't be the first time (Mario Advance series, Classic NES series). Point is, how can Wii owners embrace this but trash 3rd parties when they do the same thing? Don't complain if you're enabling this pattern (not pointing the finger at anyone here specifically, I mean this universally). It's March and a couple ports for 6-7 year old games is the best Nintendo can do.

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 09:33:25 PM »

Metroids have timers.

Yeah and I don't like the timed "The place is going to blow up" parts in Metroid either. In SMB it was hardly a big deal because the levels were short enough, it wasn't like you had to beat the whole game in 2 hrs or something. In most games I like to take my time and explore without being pressured by a 30 day timer, the world getting blown up by an ugly moon, or saving the princess in one hour.

The two most "recent" games I've played with time limits, Majora's Mask and Pikmin, I enjoyed because of those limits. At first it was really stressful, but facing the challenge and figuring out how to reach success despite the time limits was part of why they were so fun. The countdown bits in the Metroid games are great, too, because after all the tough puzzles, enemies, and final boss, there's one last urgent challenge to overcome. That extra intensity is great because it seems like a ridiculous request at that point in the game. (And yet you still find a way to make it through.)

To each his/her own, I guess.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 09:41:18 PM »
Funny, Nintendo never needed promotional games before.... except when they gave Ocarina of Time for free to get people to pre-order The Wind Waker. Although, the key word there being "free." Nintendo is making a quick buck, plain and simple. It won't be the first time (Mario Advance series, Classic NES series). Point is, how can Wii owners embrace this but trash 3rd parties when they do the same thing? Don't complain if you're enabling this pattern (not pointing the finger at anyone here specifically, I mean this universally). It's March and a couple ports for 6-7 year old games is the best Nintendo can do.

I agree, but you would be surprised at how many Nintendo fans don't like this either.

Remember that March is third party's time to shine. I know cynics will disagree with this, but I think Nintendo just wanted the big games to get their time in the spotlight, and are releasing older games to fill the gap between big releases.

That way, if Madworld doesn't sell as expected the developers can't say "They had competition from first party titles".

But whatever. For the record, I don't mind when third parties port games either, as long as its good and worth the double dip (like RE 4 Wii Edition).

Oh and I think we should end it here. This thread is about the game, not about how this is bullcrap and blah blah blah (hope this helps Maxi!).
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 09:55:39 PM »
I do find it funny how people freak out about Nintendo when they release MORE internally developed games then either Sony or MS that are actually new games. PIkmin, MP1&2 along with the others were probably made by a smaller team but I actually think the $30 price is not bad for these games especially since it appears the Wii Mote controls add to the experience. Not to mention that the Wii has a HUGE userbase now that is not that familiar with these enhanced games. You would be right in saying they didn't have a need to introduce people to them back in the GC/N64 era because most of the userbase were loyal Nintendo fans.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:58:37 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 10:02:54 PM »
I rented the original not long after its release so that I could get the Pikmin trophy in Smash Brothers Melee by having a save file on the memory card. I can't remember if I actually played the game or not though... Does that make me a bad person?

I'm on the fence about this one though, so I'm waiting for reviews. Is this game still timed? Because I can't stand that, especially if the game is difficult. It's one reason why I could never get into The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 10:11:40 PM »
I rented the original not long after its release so that I could get the Pikmin trophy in Smash Brothers Melee by having a save file on the memory card. I can't remember if I actually played the game or not though... Does that make me a bad person?

I'm on the fence about this one though, so I'm waiting for reviews. Is this game still timed? Because I can't stand that, especially if the game is difficult. It's one reason why I could never get into The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

It is still timed. HOWEVER, if you messed a day up you can return to that day and begin anew.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 10:15:45 PM »
What if you don't realize you messed up until the day after? Then is it PANIC TIME?
How long does the game take to complete, assuming you do everything right and don't start a day over?

I might have to pass on this unfortunately... Does Pikmin 2 still have a time limit? If not maybe I'll wait for that.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 10:40:12 PM »
What if you don't realize you messed up until the day after? Then is it PANIC TIME?
How long does the game take to complete, assuming you do everything right and don't start a day over?

I might have to pass on this unfortunately... Does Pikmin 2 still have a time limit? If not maybe I'll wait for that.

You can still return to that day and start from there. Really, if you are into day 28 and realized that there's not enough time to  battle the final boss you can start from any day and make sure you finish the task.

I've played the game countless of times, and one thing I can tell you is that once you know how to get something you can achieve it in a matter of minutes.

The new remake is far more forgiving since it lets you play from whatever day you missed, or even start all over if you want to.

Pikmin 2 is still timed, but there are no 30 days. You can play the game for as long as you want just as long as you return to your ship before night falls. If you go into a cave time stops till you complete it.

And DON'T YOU DARE ASK IF PIKMIN 3 WILL BE TIMED! No offense, but constantly asking if any of the Pikmin games are still timed is asking if Zelda is still about dungeon exploring and if Pokemon is still about collecting monsters.

Love it or hate it, Pikmin is about accomplishing the task with limited time and using your resources to your advantage.

If the time limit bothers you I recommend Overlord since it has the basic idea but no time limit.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 11:16:15 PM »
The new remake is far more forgiving since it lets you play from whatever day you missed, or even start all over if you want to.
So wait, does that mean you can go back and play that specific day, but you don't have to replay all of the following days that you've already played? What I don't want to have to do is start all over from the beginning.

I don't mind if there is a time limit to what you can do each day, but I wouldn't like having a time limit to complete the entire game. I don't want to have to start all over or roll back hours of gametime just because I made a little mistake.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 11:48:32 PM »
So wait, does that mean you can go back and play that specific day, but you don't have to replay all of the following days that you've already played? What I don't want to have to do is start all over from the beginning.

I don't mind if there is a time limit to what you can do each day, but I wouldn't like having a time limit to complete the entire game. I don't want to have to start all over or roll back hours of gametime just because I made a little mistake.

OK, let me explain this as clearly as I can...

Let's say that you play well into day 15. On that day, you make a lot of mistakes or aren't satisfied with the results of your plans. If you want to you can either clarify your mistakes in the following days, or go back as many days as you want and start all over again.

You don't have to start a day all over if you made one mistake. This is all up to the player. You can recover from any mistake if you know how to time things properly. It would have to be a BIG mistake for you to start all over. Or, if you are the type that thinks can do better the second time you can go back and do it.

So long story short...

If you made up to day 15, and messed it up, you can go back to day 14 or earlier. If you want to, you CAN go back to day one, but it isn't neccesary.

Have a better understanding or do you need more examples?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer