Author Topic: New Play Control Pikmin  (Read 14526 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: New Play Control Pikmin
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 11:53:17 PM »
I did not hear about that new time machine mechanic, I am intrigued!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 11:57:18 PM »
I did not hear about that new time machine mechanic, I am intrigued!

I didn't either till I saw a video of it.

On the save file menu you have your save file and the days you have played so far. If you select it you can start from any day you have previously played.

This was added so both new players who can't quite grasp the game's concept or experienced players who want to perform better on a day you can just go back to that day.

You can obtain up to three items in a day if you know how to place your Pikmin. Most don't know this because they spend their day working on getting one. With this new feature you can properly start over and get all missing pieces in record time.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 12:00:24 AM »
Okay I think I get it. If you're on day 15, and then you go back to day 12, you would also have to play days 13 and 14 again too, right?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 12:21:28 AM »

Okay I think I get it. If you're on day 15, and then you go back to day 12, you would also have to play days 13 and 14 again too, right?
Yes.
There aren't per-determined things you HAVE to do each day. You just get dropped down in a level and you can work towards getting any number of pieces.

I only failed to get enough parts to leave on day 30 once, and that was because I wasted a number trying to chase that blasted ghost frog. It gives me the creeps.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 12:28:09 AM »
Yes.
There aren't per-determined things you HAVE to do each day. You just get dropped down in a level and you can work towards getting any number of pieces.

I only failed to get enough parts to leave on day 30 once, and that was because I wasted a number trying to chase that blasted ghost frog. It gives me the creeps.

Ok then what if you collected ship parts, will those pieces stay collected when you warp back in time?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 12:37:52 AM »
Yes.

Ok then what if you collected ship parts, will those pieces stay collected when you warp back in time?

If you collected, say, 10 pieces by the time you reach day 18, and decide to go back to day 17 you will have every piece except the ones you got on that day.

This might seem unfair, but remember, if you do over a day you start off brand new, meaning another chance to get the piece and a better rate.

For example, if the piece you found took a whole day to get it you can restart the day and begin fresh, creating a better strategy that saves time and Pikmin.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2009, 12:41:03 AM »
Yes.

It's basically an undo option. Nothing fancy like in Majora where you keep your critical items.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2009, 12:46:44 AM »
As long as the game isn't difficult then I may be able to deal with the whole timed aspect. I'm just going to wait for some reviews so I can gauge how difficult it is.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2009, 12:49:59 AM »
As long as the game isn't difficult then I may be able to deal with the whole timed aspect. I'm just going to wait for some reviews so I can gauge how difficult it is.

It's not terribly difficult. You also don't need all the parts to get off in time. There are about five unesential parts including the last Boss' part.

The alternate ending if you don't get enough parts is rather interesting to watch as well.

On another note, have you guys read the English lyrics for the Pikmin song Ai no Uta. It's kind of sad. 'we'll fight for you but we don't ask you to love us'.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:56:59 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2009, 01:02:47 AM »
I spend 1 day scouting a big area.

Then spend the next day getting 3-4 parts in one pass.

Beat the game in 15-something days, c'mon.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 02:34:03 AM »
Pro knows it. It's all about reconnaissance.

The game is really original and it would be a shame for anyone to miss it simply because of anxiety.

I never owned this game so it's as good a time as any. Unlike Mop_it_up, I rented it for the Melee trophy AND played it (btw you aren't a bad person, just a financially irresponsible one ;)).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 02:36:58 AM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2009, 03:08:22 AM »
Thanks Pap for rerailing the topic and explaining the game mechanics so well.Mop_it_up I'll look for some reviews.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2009, 03:28:01 AM »
Added Review and Price to OP.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2009, 02:33:52 PM »
The 30-day limit doesn't get in the way unless you suck at video games.  I first time I beat the game I finished with all parts on day 30 (with only a couple minutes in game time left!).  I played again a couple years later and finished 100% in something like 22 days.

It's actually possible to collect every ship part in a mere 9 days.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2009, 05:52:04 PM »
Unlike Mop_it_up, I rented it for the Melee trophy AND played it (btw you aren't a bad person, just a financially irresponsible one ;)).
I didn't pay for the rental. At the time my brother worked at a video rental store, so he rented it for me for free.

I generally do suck at games so the time factor could really be a problem for me. Being able to restart a day may be a big help though, because I'll probably be able to tell if I made a big mistake that day and will be able to try again.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2009, 05:55:42 PM »
But you said in the other poast that you're good with N64 anal-log controls...

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2009, 06:04:51 PM »
That actually makes it worse. IT WAS FREE, the least you could do is play it.

As for the time factor, your putting to much emphasis on it. I was never concerned about not having enough time to gather my parts, but was more concerned about getting back to the ship on time.

Really, unless your mentally handicapped, you'll be fine.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2009, 06:12:32 PM »
Yes, I agree with Kashogi. Those really worried about the time limit should play it for themselves. Like I've mentioned again and again the remake is even more forgiving on newer players with the option of re-starting days so you can correctly do it again.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2009, 06:16:58 PM »
I'm a panicky player, the slightest thing makes me uneasy, so having a timer ticking away is going to drive me insane!
I'm probably one of the few people who has run out of time trying to complete certain levels in the Super Mario games.

I actually can't remember if I played it or not back when I rented it... That was too long ago.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 06:18:40 PM by Mop_it_up »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2009, 06:26:15 PM »
It's not a timer. It's the day slowly waning towards sunset.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2009, 07:19:28 PM »
It's not a timer. It's the day slowly waning towards sunset.

The only time I get nervous about the time is when the day is ending and you have to make sure you have all you Pikmin with you. Sometimes you are trying to get one part to the ship and the last ten seconds have an actual count-down timer. Then you fly away and hopefully no Pikmin got left behind...poor little buggers. Ship parts that you move typically stay where you left them when you return the next time. So you can get parts close to your ship and worry about them later.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2009, 09:09:20 PM »
Does that mean there's no way to know exactly how much time you have left until there's only ten seconds remaining? That would make things even worse!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2009, 09:36:21 PM »
Dude get a watch.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2009, 09:38:11 PM »
Does that mean there's no way to know exactly how much time you have left until there's only ten seconds remaining? That would make things even worse!

At the top of the screen there IS a timer. But instead of counting down minutes it shows the sun moving from left to right. You SHOULD know when time is almost up when the sun reaches the right side of the screen.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2009, 10:43:52 PM »

At the top of the screen there IS a timer. But instead of counting down minutes it shows the sun moving from left to right. You SHOULD know when time is almost up when the sun reaches the right side of the screen.

It's similar to the on-screen clock for Majora's Mask where a little sun icon moves around to show the passage of time, except it is a straight line across the top of the screen.
My Game Collection