Author Topic: Wii U Has 8 GB of Internal Storage  (Read 46835 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U Has 8 GB of Internal Storage
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »
There is no official way that I'm aware of to use "any existing hard drive" with the 360.  Unofficial ways could end up getting your console banned from XBox Live.
I heard that the Slim model accepts 2.5" hard drives which are housed in this really chintzy "shell." You can just take out the hard drive and put any 2.5" hard drive you want in the shell as long as you formatted the new hard drive first. Apparently, you don't even really need the shell as long as you're okay with the hard drive "hovering" since the drive bay/dock is shaped like the shell. I wasn't aware that you got banned from Xbox Live for not using a 1st party hard drive. I'm not saying you're wrong. Far from it as I don't own a 360 and never tried it; I'm not sure either way.

I would have liked the Wii U to be set up this way. I can live with the external hard drive option. Maybe Nintendo will redesign the console down the line to accept regular 2.5" hard drives in a drive bay. Probably not but a girl can dream...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:05:56 PM by Adrock »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2012, 01:12:25 PM »
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/p/192927/1005001.aspx

Official answer from the official XBox 360 forums, as recent as this Jan.

tl;dr version - Using unauthorized hardware/software with your 360 may result an a ban from XBox live.  There are no authorized third-party 360 Hard Drives.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2012, 01:18:47 PM »
As I've said elsewhere, Nintendo could bundle in an SD card or come out for sale with an official external hard drive. Although the seem to like solid state, so an external SSD drive of significant size would be pricey. Maybe an official Nintendo thumb drive?

A 32gb SDHC card or 32gb thumb drive retails $20-$30 that would give you 40gb storage total.
A 64gb thumb drive retails $45-$65 that would give you 72gb storage total
A 128gb thumb drive retails $90-$200 that would give you 132gb storage total
A 250gb thumb drive retails $50-70 that would give you 258gb storage total
A 1tb external hard drive retails $99-$150 that would give you more storage than you would ever need.

The Wii U has four USB ports, if you can double up, you could get a 32gb SD card and two 32gb thumb drives to give you 104gb of storage for as low as $60, purchased as you need it for $20 a pop.

A 250gb third party 360 hard price retails $70-$90 but you get greater versatility because many more devices use SD and usb storage over the proprietary 360 hard drive.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2012, 01:22:44 PM »
I hope Nintendo does it right so that any number of devices plugged in works seamlessly, but I wouldn't count on it.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2012, 01:47:12 PM »
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/p/192927/1005001.aspx

Official answer from the official XBox 360 forums, as recent as this Jan.

tl;dr version - Using unauthorized hardware/software with your 360 may result an a ban from XBox live.  There are no authorized third-party 360 Hard Drives.
Oh, that. I remember reading about that before. I always thought that was specifically for mods and cheat devices. It does say (among other things) that they may "cancel your account and your ability to access the Service" which is just ambiguous enough to cover their asses. Didn't Microsoft also ban some chick for identifying as a lesbian on Xbox Live (only to later say it was a "mistake")? Microsoft's policies don't seem terribly black and white. I wonder how many people got banned for using their own formatted hard drive with no game mods or pirated data, meaning for all intents and purposes it was just being used as a hard drive. I wonder how often Microsoft specifically checks if their users' hard drives are 1st party, if at all.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2012, 02:01:22 PM »
Yeah, it's not a definitive ban, but it is a possibility...

Regardless, if the arguement is that consumers are stupid/lazy/don't know the internet, how is any of these options easier than just plugging in a UsB cable?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2012, 02:32:07 PM »
It's not, in my opinion. To clarify, I never meant to say that it was. I was proposing that it might be better for Nintendo in the long run collectively, in terms of core gamers, 3rd parties and so on. Easier, though? I don't know about that. Different SKUs is, by definition, more confusing. Instead of "Oh, this is the thing I buy." It's "Which of these things do I buy?" A drive bay is a nice option and I still think it should have been there because existing isn't complicated; making use of it might be more complicated than an external USB hard drive. Don't you have to format a regular hard drive? I don't know how to do that off the top of my head, but I could certainly google it or watch a tutorial on YouTube. That's an extra thing I have to do. I've never used an external hard drive, but I've never had to format a USB thumb drive. Do they work the same way? I imagine you just plug it in.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:33:57 PM by Adrock »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2012, 02:38:01 PM »
almost all thumb drives come preformatted.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2012, 03:31:16 PM »
As I've said elsewhere, Nintendo could bundle in an SD card

Actually, you just made me realize that Nintendo has an extremely easy way to "up" the internal storage for future SKUs of the system by just packing in an SD card. It's not unprecedented since Nintendo packed in a 2GB SD card with every 3DS.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2012, 08:47:21 PM »
almost all thumb drives come preformatted.

This is true, but they might not necessarily be correctly formatted in a filesystem that the console will be able to accept. FAT32 seems to be the most widely accepted filesystem for devices, but this filesystem can't support really huge volume sizes, so newer cards have to be in something else, and not every device will necessarily support it.
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2012, 10:37:35 PM »
NTFS or EXFAT are the two file systems most commonly used over 32gb.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2012, 10:45:11 PM »
FAT32 can technically go up to 16TB, it's just that Microsoft doesn't allow that in its formatting program. Also, homebrew on the Wii could support NTFS, so I hope Nintendo can work something out in that regard.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline VariantX7

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2012, 11:49:53 PM »
I cant find fault in this at all, as an owner of an xbox360, id rather just be free to apply whatever storage solution I want for my console.  Would be nice to buy a external 2TB HDD and never worry about storage throughout the entire life of the console.

Offline DonnyKD

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2012, 03:26:33 AM »
Wow, just when I though that NWR was the most adult Nintendo forum since this year's E3, we get c*** like this.

People saying that "casual gamers" are too stupid or lazy to set up their own HDD (yeah, because anyone who isn't a gamer sucks at every type of computer tech ever!), people saying that Nintendo can't win against the PS3 and 360 because Nintendo won't unnecessarily price their console too high...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2012, 03:33:48 AM »
There are definitely people who are too stupid or lazy to set up their own hard drive. I'd bet there isn't a ton of crossover between that demographic and the one that will have much interest in buying a lot of eShop stuff, though. This is a risk on Nintendo's part, but a calculated one.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
people saying that Nintendo can't win against the PS3 and 360 because Nintendo won't unnecessarily price their console too high...

Where did someone say that? Actually, I'd argue that one of the reasons the Wii was able to "win" (install base wise) versus the PS3 and 360 WAS because Nintendo refused to price their console very high.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2012, 07:46:49 AM »
There are definitely people who are too stupid or lazy to set up their own hard drive. I'd bet there isn't a ton of crossover between that demographic and the one that will have much interest in buying a lot of eShop stuff, though. This is a risk on Nintendo's part, but a calculated one.
I definitely agree with this.  I suppose Nintendo's thinking is that if people really want a hard drive, they'll get one. Hopefully, 3rd parties feel the same way and won't be apprehensive about supporting the platform. Still, this is the same reason why I think additional hard drive options, while technically more complicated, wouldn't be a problem per se. It just gives people more options.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »
Congrats on making it to 6 pages!

Anyway, Here We GOOOO!

Still, this is the same reason why I think additional hard drive options, while technically more complicated, wouldn't be a problem per se. It just gives people more options.
More options = Complication and Complication = More Variables  and More Variables = More Cost.  Programming wise adding in another place to add storage makes things more complicated.  Which in the short and long term will cost more for Nintendo. 

I know some really smart people who can do things like design rockets, right complex code, etc., but can't hook up there home theater system.  Even smart people can blank on areas. 

External hard drives are easily the lowest common denominator.  Its hard to find anyone over the age of 2 that can't plug in something to a USB port with minimal instructions  As long as the WiiU is smart enough to accept most of the common formats it won't even need to pop up and ask if you want to dedicate the device to the WiiU.  What I'm really hoping is Nintendo takes the Windows Home Server approach and when you connect the drive it just becomes more storage.  Same with the SD card.  You only have to mess with the specific where if you want to.

I think it is silly to think that Nintendo themselves is going to limit Downloads to just 8gb to begin with.  They have a 20gb+ disc there making for the system.  Nintendo tends to not have things they don't plan on personally using with few exceptions, CPP being one.  They also made a commitment to have there games up for download.  Multiple Sku confusion is a problem for Nintendo state Target Demographic (Everyone).

What I'm really hoping for still is a shell that is a glorified additional temperature controlled cooler, USB hub, and harddrive inclosure.  That way people who want this functionality can just purchase a snap in shell and use that.  This wouldn't be to complicated for the people that can handle procuring and installing a harddrive.  That and I love my slightly loud temperature controlled external fans for my PS3.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:24:25 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2012, 09:40:33 AM »
I don't really know what you're saying here. I've admitted on a number of occasions that more options is more complicated by definition. You even quoted me saying so. What is this? I don't even... Are you saying that Nintendo should limit options because it costs them more not to? If so, fine. However, a lot of things increase cost, but that doesn't mean they can't be beneficial.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:42:17 AM by Adrock »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2012, 10:07:23 AM »
I don't really know what you're saying here. I've admitted on a number of occasions that more options is more complicated by definition. You even quoted me saying so. What is this? I don't even... Are you saying that Nintendo should limit options because it costs them more not to? If so, fine. However, a lot of things increase cost, but that doesn't mean they can't be beneficial.
I was just using you as a jumping off point.  It really boils down to that Nintendo has found this to be the optimal point for cost vs benefit in this case.  Which I agree with.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2012, 10:07:34 AM »
Its hard to find anyone over the age of 2 that can't plug in something to a USB port with minimal instructions

http://www.hark.com/clips/dbyhvsvjpw-what-is-a-paperclip
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2012, 10:13:12 AM »
Its hard to find anyone over the age of 2 that can't plug in something to a USB port with minimal instructions

http://www.hark.com/clips/dbyhvsvjpw-what-is-a-paperclip
I'll bet you I could even get that guy the ability to plug in a USB plug to a USB port.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2012, 07:09:51 PM »
First, smallsharkbigbite... did you really just quadruple post?

I don't get on much.  I didn't duplicate data.

I fell into your misdirect though.  Whether you feel Microsoft gouges customers is irrelevant.  Nintendo doesn't follow the competition in other areas so they don't have to gouge for a harddrive.  I get half of your argument.  A small HD costs almost nothing.  I can buy a 120 gb WD harddrive off Amazon for $36.  Nintendo when they order 50 million can probably get them for <$20.  Also, they could go 80 or 60 gb and use a different manufacturer to save money.  Substitute out the 8 gig of flash and you are looking at a net cost of $0-$10 to add a harddrive.  Flash makes sense in an Ipod where there is no optical drive.  Doesn't make sense in a game console because the optical drive is the data limiting factor.  So I get the fact that a harddrive doesn't cost much.  Don't get why it then shouldn't be used?

8GB is more than enough for most people and I'd rather have the removable memory option.

This is where I strongly disagree with you.  You are basing your info off of two gimped online systems (Wii and 3DS).  The PS2 had 20% of it's users get online, 360 has about 60%, we are reaching an age where it's expected that an electronic have wireless.  More people will use online next generation.  And none of the consoles you are comparing are high def or have full sized games online for download. 

A few examples: 

1.  Exclusive games: NBA Jam onfire edition is 900 mb and reasonably priced.  Tons more games like this, some bigger.  If you're online and that's the only way to get the game, don't know why you'd pass up good games.

2.  Game patches.  GT5 has like 3 gb of patches.  Yeah, it'd be nice if they shipped a complete game, but they've added a bunch to this game.  And basically every game I put in my ps3 has some patch to update the game and most of them are sizely. 

3.  Demos/other online things.  If you're online and it's free, why not download?  Demo's and videos online can be several gigs in size.  And there could be new things to online next generation.  That's the point of a new generation, who knows what interactivity could be done. 

Also, the cost really doesn't matter.  If Nintendo can get people to start paying for things they'll make several times the cost of a harddrive.  Getting people to just download one retail game (which won't happen with 8 gb) will save them at least $20 in retail fees, shipping fees, and physical production fees.  And you can't resell that game.

For comparison sake, I have about 10 WiiWare games and about 50 vc games downloaded for a total size of about 1 gb.  On my PS3, I have not downloaded a full retail game.  I have about 30 downloaded games, patches, and save files come to about 65 gb. 

I really don't get the connection between being lazy and not wanting cords laying around.
 Also, I disagree with your idea that they don't want cords laying around.  How many times has the complaint came up about the Wii and Wii U not having a network jack/being WiFi only?  If people don't like cords, then this should be a good thing.
I see the only viable solution as having a usb hard drive, which requires 2 additional cables (to Wii and to Power) and addtional space on the shelf.  I don't see that as a good thing. 

Remember Twilight Princess?  It was the hardcore, super realistic Zelda that "everyone" wanted after Wind Waker...  Yet the sales didn't touch Wind Waker's performance.
Ignoring Wii sales to make a point? 

If you consider two full years "not too long", then sure.
The point is almost all electronic devices have multiple versions and some changes within the versions.  I don't think it adds consumer confusion to have multiple versions because if you buy anything you're used to it by now. 

errrr... Carts weren't "cheap".  In fact, they increased costs for the system and the games in comparison to a CD reader/discs.
Yeah, my point was storage lost the N64 war.  Nintendo's response wasn't let's fix the storage issue, as all of the next consoles they've made have had gimped storage.  The focus on being cheap now instead of matching standard features.  When a console is cheaper, people wonder why.  And when the answer is they cut standard features, they aren't impressed. 

This is all opinion based, the Wii-U may or may not add a better storage option and may or may not be successful.  Too many variables to determine which reasons are why it is successful or not.  Feel free to chop up my reply and add sarcastic comments.  What I'd like to see is a thread in 6 years and see if the people that say 8 gb is sufficient for them found that to be the case. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:57:37 PM by smallsharkbigbite »

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2012, 08:24:50 PM »
I find it highly ironic that cartridges on home consoles are deemed as archaic due to their expensiveness and complexity, yet they are still being used widely on mobile devices.

Heck, even Sony dropped the PSP's disc media and switched to carts for the Vita.

So it's ok for handhelds to use carts, yet on consoles it's a big no-no? Such hypocrisy.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2012, 08:33:45 PM »
Such hypocrisy.

Um what

Fairly certain they haven't gone to cartridges on home consoles because it isn't cost effective yet.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:35:21 PM by Oblivion »