Author Topic: Wii U Has 8 GB of Internal Storage  (Read 46614 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U Has 8 GB of Internal Storage
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
Ceric's got the right idea here. As long as there's enough to download a few things and get people liking that, there will be incentive for people to upgrade their storage. Forgetting big drives, you could probably multiply the storage by 5 rather cheaply with cheap USB thumb drives and smaller SD cards.

As it stands I'm pretty confident the Wii U will be $350 at launch. With an internal hard drive or SSD, that would be up to at least $400. This is a compromise on Nintendo's part to keep the price as low as they can.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2012, 10:44:17 PM »
If Nintendo can bring the must-buy software, I can tolerate their gimmicky hardware issues.  So far, they just haven't.

You didn't say you want the Wii U to fail, but you've got your mind set that you're not currently interested in a Wii U.

Thus, I feel safe in saying "it's not for you" when you're not happy with the software shown for it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2012, 11:38:35 PM »
As it stands I'm pretty confident the Wii U will be $350 at launch. With an internal hard drive or SSD, that would be up to at least $400. This is a compromise on Nintendo's part to keep the price as low as they can.

There are those who would pay $50 or $100 more for a premium SKU that includes a HDD and maybe one or two other extras. The 8gb model might be fine for the mass market, but I don't see the harm if Nintendo offered an optional "elite" version for those who demand it. Again, its worked out well for the Xbox 360.

And its not like Nintendo themselves have never done something like this before, because the original NES had multiple SKUs with one being the basic thing and another having Duck Hunt and a light gun, and another "premium" version that included that plus ROB and his game.

The 8GB model could be marketed to casuals and come with NintendoLand as its pack in, but for $50 or $100 more they could offer one which includes a HDD, NSMB U, and perhaps one of those optional game pads. They could also give it a different color, like perhaps red.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:42:41 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2012, 11:54:50 PM »
Casual consumers are too confused by external storage, but offering them multiple SKUs isn't too confusing?

Do you KNOW how many customers asked what the difference between the black and white Wii systems was? :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2012, 11:57:02 PM »
Hmmm... what if this "elite" SKU you mention is the only way to get a black Wii U?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2012, 12:00:51 AM »

There are those who would pay $50 or $100 more for a premium SKU that includes a HDD and maybe one or two other extras. The 8gb model might be fine for the mass market, but I don't see the harm if Nintendo offered an optional "elite" version for those who demand it. Again, its worked out well for the Xbox 360.

And its not like Nintendo themselves have never done something like this before, because the original NES had multiple SKUs with one being the basic thing and another having Duck Hunt and a light gun, and another "premium" version that included that plus ROB and his game.

The 8GB model could be marketed to casuals and come with NintendoLand as its pack in, but for $50 or $100 more they could offer one which includes a HDD, NSMB U, and perhaps one of those optional game pads. They could also give it a different color, like perhaps red.

They could spend that extra $50 or $100 to buy their own external storage, which would undoubtedly be more substantial than what Nintendo would include for that price bump.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2012, 12:25:25 AM »
Casual consumers are too confused by external storage, but offering them multiple SKUs isn't too confusing?

I'm sure it would confuse some, but it wouldn't be a big deal because its still the same system... worst case scenario is they would be spending a little extra on a feature they wouldn't really use. From Nintendo's perspective this wouldn't matter, and to a casual they probably wouldn't even know any better and would be blissfully ignorant. They would just know their Wii Fit U and Carnival Games U work and that's all that they care about. For them the 8gb model would have been sufficient, but them having a lets say 250GB hard drive model of which they only use a small percentage has no real downside other than that they've spent a bit more than necessary.

Casuals still could benefit from a hard drive anyway if they use the system to download music, movies and TV shows or whatever.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 12:28:20 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2012, 12:27:34 AM »
So... you want Nintendo to take advantage of consumer ignorance?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2012, 12:34:17 AM »
So... you want Nintendo to take advantage of consumer ignorance?

Speaking of taking advantage of consumer ignorance, have you ever went to a place like Walmart and seen those "Wii SD cards" that 3rd parties offer right next to the Wii stuff? They cost like two or three times more than they should, and clearly they are marketed for suckers who don't know that any standard SD card would have sufficed.

Not to mention all those stupid plastic shells that the Wiimote snapped into to turn it into a golf club or tennis racket or whatever. Do you think that wasn't preying on consumer ignorance? Preying on consumer ignorance was pretty much the stock and trade of Wii accessory manufacturers.

And with Nintendo making the Wii U depend on SD cards yet again it looks like history will be repeating itself. Expect these "official Wii U" SD cards to show up at Walmart at a huge markup. You don't really see that so much on the PS360 because those systems don't depend entirely on SD cards. That's the advantage of going with an internal hard drive.
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2012, 12:38:16 AM »
So... Nintendo should prey on consumer ignorance before other companies do it?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2012, 01:09:49 AM »
So... Nintendo should prey on consumer ignorance before other companies do it?

I don't call it "preying" when you are selling something at or near cost, which is what would be the case with a Wii U + HDD SKU. Some people who would buy it may not use it to the fullest extent, but its not like they aren't getting bang for their buck. Maybe its not a bang they need or use, but at least they get it...

That's a far cry from cheap plastic shells or "Official Wii" SD cards being sold for a huge markup. Those are PREYING on consumer ignorance.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2012, 01:13:49 AM »
But you can do the same thing yourself, and probably cheaper. Why are you outraged that Nintendo isn't offering an overpriced, somewhat confusing second SKU that would only be bought by people who are capable of doing it better themselves?

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2012, 01:15:21 AM »
Selling it at cost seems silly on Nintendo's part.

Let's see, they can sell you (you being a generalized "ignorant" consumer) a Wii U + HD for $50-$100 more and make little profit while you never use the hard drive and end up regretting your additional purchase or they can sell you a Wii U for $50-$100 less and sell you one or two more games for that cost, increasing their attach rates and selling the games at a profit *and* giving you more to enjoy out of your system...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2012, 01:20:53 AM »
They'd also have to redesign the system to accomodate the drive bay, which would further increase the cost.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2012, 01:27:04 AM »
I plan to convert some old NES cartridges to HDD enclosures once the Wii is released.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2012, 02:03:16 AM »
I just don't see any downside to offering consumers a choice. You think an "elite" SKU with a HDD and a few other extras is a rip off? Fine, you don't have to buy it. No big deal. I'm not saying they 8GB basic SKU shouldn't exist, I'm all about choice. I just don't understand how some people like Uncle Bob are so against that. It would only be an option.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2012, 02:06:20 AM »
They'd also have to redesign the system to accomodate the drive bay, which would further increase the cost.
Nintendo wouldn't have had to redesign anything if they designed the console with the hard drive bay in the first place. Gamecube had like 3 extra ports on the bottom. I don't think (and am too lazy to check if) Nintendo had to pay licensing fees for them, but it was nice that they were there. If I remember correctly, 1 of them was never used with any officially released peripheral.

Best case scenario would have been to just include the hard drive bay for people who want that option. A single SKU with an empty hard drive bay would be similar to how Nintendo launched the Wii without an SD card (yes, I know the Wii U has an SD card slot). I would have supported the decision to release a separate SKU with a hard drive included if that was the only way Nintendo would have included a hard drive bay. That way they could make up the research and development cost by selling even a slightly (but probably very) overpriced hard drive to people who can't be bothered to google how to format a better, cheaper, faster hard drive they could find on Amazon or Newegg. And like I said earlier, a SKU with an included hard drive would send a positive message to 3rd parties. Whether it would actually change anything is up to conjecture.

In any case, I still would have bought the 8GB version, but I would like having the hard drive bay in case I change my mind. I know I can get an external hard drive, but honestly, I don't like the clutter that comes with an extra box shaped thing next to my console and more importantly, a drive bay would mean 1 less cord for my cats to chew through. Yes, cat-proofing matters to me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2012, 02:11:11 AM »
Unless Nintendo has the power of time travel, what they would have been able to do had they made a different choice years ago is irrelevant to what they can do now. Their choices right now are to redesign the system, which would cost money, or to rely on people buying their own storage, which they appear to be doing.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2012, 02:14:29 AM »
Obviously. I was only commenting out how odd those choices are.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2012, 08:31:04 AM »

Forza 4 (assuming that you *want* it) - $45 on Amazon.
Offical 360 Headset (Wii U does voice chat without a headset, but okay) - $7.29 on Amazon.

So... $47.21 for the 250 GB Hard Drive...
500 GB Hard Drive on Amazon.com... $47.73

Fifty-Two cents, I get twice the memory and a hard drive I can use on whatever PC I want.

And the steering wheel?  Personally, 250 gb is enough for me and I'd rather have the built in option.  The bundle has been on sale often for $50 off so if the $47.73 that you're paying for the hard drive is a hold up, wait a few months and you won't be.

Also, the point is they give you the option.  And since you're so technical, you can buy an adapter and use the any existing hard drive you have laying around. 

Wait... Casual players are so stupid they won't understand external memory, but now we expect them to dissect their system and install a hard drive?

I never said casual players are stupid.  I said they're lazy and don't want a bunch of cords laying around.  I think a built in option or at least a bay makes this significantly better.

Anyone who says "I want the Wii U to fail" has already decided the Wii U is not for them.
I also did not say I want the Wii U to fail.  I'm hoping Nintendo gives me a reason to purchase it, but I haven't seen it yet.  But really, some people think that this is a big deal and some don't.  It's all opinion based and it's just one thing Nintendo has bet on with the Wii-U.  I just don't see the point in responding to every who disagrees with you on this point with "The Wii-U is not for You!"

Of course, they can. However, I think it's better to approach them by pretending that they can't.

If Nintendo should approach groups of consumers based on poor stereotypes of the most vocal within that group, then Nintendo should just assume that all hardcore gamers are whiny twits that will never be happy with Nintendo no matter what, so why bother doing anything for them anyway?

They should bother because the hardcore gamers spend lots of money.  They are whiney, but like Ian said earlier, Nintendo has really pushed that group away in the past.  I don't think their going to get mulligans on decisions until they show they are bringing something significant to the table. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 08:32:39 AM by smallsharkbigbite »

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2012, 08:36:41 AM »
Xbox 360 320GB hard drive 129.99 at walmart for the same price you can pick up a USB 3.0 2TB hard drive at walmart. So for the same price I could pick up 6 times more space for my Wii-U. I'll stick to non-proprietary hard drives.  :cool;

LOL, nice.  Alright, if we are going to play that game, the 250 gb with Kinect and 2 game bundle was on sale for $259 this last holiday.  So where are you going to buy a 250 gb hd, kinect, and 2 game bundle for $59?

This is another reason I like built ins.  While it may not always be a deal at MSRP, it'll go on sale for significantly less later. 

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2012, 08:46:21 AM »

Do you KNOW how many customers asked what the difference between the black and white Wii systems was? :D

Moms and dads typically buy systems.  I expect the teenage users to be much more technilogical.  But honestly, it's not that bad of a question for people who came from the 360.  How many different versions of the 360 were there?  Some were better with RROD, some had different ports, etc.  And the black Wii wasn't out too long before they removed Gamecube compatibility.  Knowing changes can occur and asking about them doesn't seem to be ignorant to me.  Especially for people that don't go to gaming sites. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:09:58 AM by smallsharkbigbite »

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2012, 09:18:16 AM »

Consumer cost does not follow actual cost of the machine.  Nintendo kept the Wii at $250 when the 360 was $200 and the PS3 was $250.  They did it to increase profits, not because the Wii cost $200 to manufacture. 

But that's the biggest problem I have with the Wii-U.  The Wii-U is basically a 3ds (potentially) with your TV representing the top screen.  The PS3 comes with a bunch more for $250.  The xbox 360 comes with a bunch more for $300.  For $350, I want to see that the Wii-U is better than the current gen or at least on-par.  The only thing the Wii-U has that can be conceived as better is the touchscreen. 

The Wii was big because nobody saw motion controls before.  Isn't Ipad 4 coming out?  Aren't we on version 5 of the DS?  People have seen touch controls and prefer $.99 games with them.  I just don't think people will be impressed with the Wii-U.  I could be wrong, analysts said the Wii was doomed and while it's fizzled, you can't exactly call it a failure. 

Plus, being cheap isn't always a good thing in the eye of the consumer.  N64 lost to the PS1 largely due to the stupid cartridge decision.  What if the Gamecube would have used real DVDs instead of mini, and played DVDs and cost $300 at the get-go?  I was in college at the time the Gamecube was out and you have no idea how many people viewed it as inferior to the PS2.  Would more games have came to the Gamecube if it would have used full DVDs and been able to make quick ports?  Would people view it as equal to the xbox/ps2 since it cos the same?  Would people look at it as a way to get a cheap dvd player like they did the PS2?  We'll never know, but most people think you get what you pay for and always being the cheapest make people think Nintendo develops cheap toys. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:57:35 AM by smallsharkbigbite »

Offline DarthBrady

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Another Crappy Blog
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2012, 10:37:10 AM »
7 years is not a decade. 10 years is a decade. Over a decade means over 10 years. Learn English. You realize that Nintendo markets to different audiences. One audience wouldn't really care for that a lot of memory on a game system, remember the 4GB 360 model? If you care so much about storage, just buy a harddrive yourself instead of asking Nintendo to overprice the Wii U because you wanted them to add an HDD.

My English is fine. Perhaps you should learn research, and perhaps proof-reading or logic. The PS2 released in 2000; that's over a decade just as i said. The PS2 came equipped with an internal slot for adding a HDD. It may not of supported any games at the release, but the option was there for when you needed it- out of the box. As for using the 4GB 360 Model, I complained they were not offering internal HDD support"out of the box" as the PS2 did - a very successful console. The 4GB Xbox 360 offers the same option. It may have come with less internal flash, but it still had internal HDD support from the very minute any consumer purchased the console, if the consumer chooses to do so. Your logic, as well as your insults - are flawed.I am entitled to my opinion just as anyone else is. If you don't like just keep scrolling past it like the rest of the internet, or do some research to base on a valid opinion of your own. Ignorant insults directed at post comments add nothing to the actual topic unless perhaps the comment deviated or provided invalid information without source.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
First, smallsharkbigbite... did you really just quadruple post?

And the steering wheel?  Personally, 250 gb is enough for me and I'd rather have the built in option.

8GB is more than enough for most people and I'd rather have the removable memory option.

The bundle has been on sale often for $50 off so if the $47.73 that you're paying for the hard drive is a hold up, wait a few months and you won't be.

Wait... we're doing sale prices now?  Because I know the 4GB model was on sale some time ago with a free $100 Gift Card.

Also, if we're bargain hunting, I bet I could find Forza 4, a 360 headset and the steering wheel on the cheap once the racing bundle has been out for awhile.

Also, the point is they give you the option.  And since you're so technical, you can buy an adapter and use the any existing hard drive you have laying around.

There is no official way that I'm aware of to use "any existing hard drive" with the 360.  Unofficial ways could end up getting your console banned from XBox Live. 

I never said casual players are stupid.  I said they're lazy and don't want a bunch of cords laying around.  I think a built in option or at least a bay makes this significantly better.

I really don't get the connection between being lazy and not wanting cords laying around.
 Also, I disagree with your idea that they don't want cords laying around.  How many times has the complaint came up about the Wii and Wii U not having a network jack/being WiFi only?  If people don't like cords, then this should be a good thing.

I also did not say I want the Wii U to fail.[...] I just don't see the point in responding to every who disagrees with you on this point with "The Wii-U is not for You!"

Didn't say you did, bub.  Also pretty sure I never told you that the Wii U isn't for you, bub.

They should bother because the hardcore gamers spend lots of money.  They are whiney, but like Ian said earlier, Nintendo has really pushed that group away in the past.  I don't think their going to get mulligans on decisions until they show they are bringing something significant to the table.

Again, if they're not going to be happy with Nintendo no matter what, then why should Nintendo try doing anything to please them?

Remember Twilight Princess?  It was the hardcore, super realistic Zelda that "everyone" wanted after Wind Waker...  Yet the sales didn't touch Wind Waker's performance.

And the black Wii wasn't out too long before they removed Gamecube compatibility.

If you consider two full years "not too long", then sure.

Knowing changes can occur and asking about them doesn't seem to be ignorant to me.  Especially for people that don't go to gaming sites.

You've done a great job convincing me that multiple SKUs doesn't confuse the consumer.

Plus, being cheap isn't always a good thing in the eye of the consumer.  N64 lost to the PS1 largely due to the stupid cartridge decision.

errrr... Carts weren't "cheap".  In fact, they increased costs for the system and the games in comparison to a CD reader/discs.

I was in college at the time the Gamecube was out and you have no idea how many people viewed it as inferior to the PS2.

Doing a great job convincing me that the younger generation is more technological...

We'll never know, but most people think you get what you pay for and always being the cheapest make people think Nintendo develops cheap toys.

Doing a great job convincing me that hardcore gamers will ever change their opinion and be happy with anything Nintendo does.

This is another reason I like built ins.  While it may not always be a deal at MSRP, it'll go on sale for significantly less later.

Because removable storage never, ever goes on sale. Or something.[/quote]
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 12:21:35 PM by UncleBob »