Author Topic: Goldeneye Wii  (Read 101699 times)

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Re: Goldeneye Wii
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2010, 02:44:25 AM »
- regenerating health
- starting with a gun
- only holding two guns

The only thing like the original GoldenEye is the framerate! lol!

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2010, 11:05:35 AM »
- regenerating health
- starting with a gun
- only holding two guns

The only thing like the original GoldenEye is the framerate! lol!
Ouch!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »
Sucks for Conduit 2 to have this bitch coming out the same season  >.< I plan on buying both though.

Honestly I would be incredibly surprised if this was even half as good as Conduit 2.

Dunno, I'm not convinced High Voltage will do much better.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2010, 03:27:10 PM »
Honestly, I think that a lot of people are overestimating the number of people who want to play Goldeneye again, especially after Perfect Dark came out on the Xbox Live Arcade.

I'm not arguing with the first statement... but the second seems moot.

The original Perfect Dark sold around 1.5 million copies, while Goldeneye sold nearly 6 million.

Well that's at least 1.5 million that aren't going to care about Goldeneye!

But really, those numbers explain a lot to me about why I keep seeing people defending Goldeneye as being the superior game. Aside from that though, we have this, a full-priced "reimagining" that has none of the same levels or anything, while the Xbox Live Arcade has Perfect Dark, which is a 100% identical recreation, including three REAL Goldeneye levels and almost all the Goldeneye weapons, for $10.

Goldeneye is floating on nostalgia, and the new game isn't going to deliver what people are expecting.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2010, 03:38:03 PM »
People expecting something faithful to the N64 game will be disappointed. People who are well informed, and expect something more along the lines of "what GoldenEye would be like if it were made today" may find a pretty good Wii FPS, based on impressions I've read.

Also, people who think GoldenEye is a better game than Perfect Dark have either never played Perfect Dark or are criminally insane (or both).
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2010, 06:25:56 PM »
Also, people who think GoldenEye is a better game than Perfect Dark have either never played Perfect Dark or are criminally insane (or both).
I don't know mate, I think it depends on which aspect of the game in question. If it is multiplayer, Perfect Dark wins easily, hands down. If it is single player however, I feel that Goldeneye is better, despite that Perfect Dark is more technologically sound. In Perfect Dark, the difficulty is heavily imbalanced, and the hard mode is far too difficult to be any fun. Some of the mission objectives are also a bit strange, and require some trial and error. Plus, with the mission structure set up the way it is, there isn't nearly as much fun stuff that can be done with cheats as their is in Goldeneye. Goldeneye has better balance, better structure, and better level design.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2010, 06:36:18 PM »
As much as I would like this to be good, my expectations are abysmal.

I have much higher hopes for Conduit 2, and even though I only played the first one a couple times, it controls like a dream. Everything else was mediocre, so let's hope they try and push the envelope in other directions.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2010, 06:38:10 PM »
Goldeneye is floating on nostalgia, and the new game isn't going to deliver what people are expecting.

No doubt. If the game is anything less than great, I have a feeling word of mouth is going to be brutal due to how Activision is promoting it.

I think both are about the same to be honest. I feel that Goldeneye has a better single player mode, while Perfect Dark has a far better multiplayer mode.

I also prefer the Bond/spy angle of Goldeneye over the futuristic/alien angle of Perfect Dark.

EDIT: I took so long to post that Mop it up basically said the same thing, but far more elegantly...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2010, 07:33:54 PM »
Perfect Dark the original is a better multiplayer game than Goldeneye, but NOT a better single player experience.

I believe Perfect Dark gets very confusing with not being able to know what you should be doing all the time.  It can get very convoluted in level design.  Goldeneye wasn't as bad.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2010, 09:26:02 PM »
the hard mode is far too difficult to be any fun.

noob sighted

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2010, 05:16:11 AM »
the hard mode is far too difficult to be any fun.

noob sighted

He is actually somewhat right. There is only one mission I have never completed on perfect in PD. That mission is WAR!. I know it is a bonus mission, but it is so mind blowingly difficult, so far past the point of fun as to be sadistic.

I also never unlocked every cheat given how unforgiving and unreasonable some of the requirements were.

Goldeneye was more forgiving since you got invincible frames. The weapons fired a lot slower allowing you to better place shots and receive less damage.

PD was potentially easier if you had some of the quirkier weapons like the Laptop gun or the CMIOP that can lock on. Pop out, lock on, pop in before they see you, then run out and mow down a room full of guys. Silence weapons was a real must on a lot of levels.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2010, 05:07:43 PM »
I don't see a relation between "beatable" and "fun." If you enjoyed it then that's great, but for me it was nothing more than a tedious chore. Perfect Dark is one game which could have benefited from checkpoints, or smaller levels.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2010, 05:23:38 AM »
So new IGN impression with IR controls were pretty glowing. They were quite happy with the game so far.

I just need to know the specifics of it's multiplayer.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2010, 09:52:57 PM »
Awesome news for us Australians. 

The price for the CCP bundle has been lifted to $129.95.  I have no plans of getting it myself, (I've never played the 1st one).  But I feel sorry for those that were are picking it up.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2010, 12:48:28 PM »
Considering that the Australian dollar is almost equal to the US dollar right now ($1 US is equal to $1.00819 AUS), that bundle is equal to $128.89 in the US, wow. No wonder most Australian gamers I have met online import from Europe or North America rather than buying locally, it's still cheaper to pay import fees.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2010, 05:23:19 PM »
I keep forgetting. Why is there such a disgusting price difference between Australia and the rest of the world?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2010, 09:49:44 PM »
Because there's a pretty big difference in location between Australia and the rest of the world.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2010, 09:57:02 PM »
It's all about old world economics. Both NZ and Oz used to be on the other side of the world when it came to trading, but now with globalisation,it's a non factor. However the money is good and the prices have always been that high, ergo, the bending over the table shafting continues.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2010, 01:13:34 AM »
Because there's a pretty big difference in location between Australia and the rest of the world.

I could understand $10, hell even $20 difference.  But over double the price.  Unless they were shipping it from Mars I consider it daylight robbery.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2010, 04:33:52 AM »
It is daylight robbery. The legal kind.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
I don't know mate, I think it depends on which aspect of the game in question. If it is multiplayer, Perfect Dark wins easily, hands down. If it is single player however, I feel that Goldeneye is better, despite that Perfect Dark is more technologically sound. In Perfect Dark, the difficulty is heavily imbalanced, and the hard mode is far too difficult to be any fun. Some of the mission objectives are also a bit strange, and require some trial and error. Plus, with the mission structure set up the way it is, there isn't nearly as much fun stuff that can be done with cheats as their is in Goldeneye. Goldeneye has better balance, better structure, and better level design.

After re-playing Perfect Dark on the Xbox360.  I have to agree with this. And I thought I would never agree with a statement like that...but it is true.  I LOVE Perfect Dark, but its single player levels can be confusing, and the level design although more complicated than Goldeneyes isn't as good.  I can only count a few levels that I believe the game truly as outstanding level designs.  However, Goldeneye I can argue all the levels stand out to above average level design to amazing.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2010, 07:45:39 PM »
I should be getting the review copy this weekend. I'm pretty excited. I recently played a bit of single-player on the N64 and found that it doesn't really hold up. It'll be interested to see what kind of balance is struck between remaining faithful to the original and modernizing the engine.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2010, 10:57:45 PM »
I don't think this game will be much like the Nintendo 64 game (which isn't the "original" game since this is not a remake). The only similarities it will have are the locations that were used in the movie, so we aren't going to see missions like the Silo and Aztec Temple, and it's likely none of the multiplayer-only levels will be in it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2010, 07:30:19 AM »
It's not a remake, but the N64 game still the original game in the sense that it's the original game based on the movie.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2010, 11:10:03 AM »
I don't think this game will be much like the Nintendo 64 game (which isn't the "original" game since this is not a remake). The only similarities it will have are the locations that were used in the movie, so we aren't going to see missions like the Silo and Aztec Temple, and it's likely none of the multiplayer-only levels will be in it.

It's too bad that the Wii doesn't really provide a mechanism for delivering fan-made maps or DLC, because you know those would be the first two maps that someone would create. 
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost