Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3191689 times)

Offline Terranigma Freak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread (updated 09/09/2007)
« Reply #700 on: September 10, 2007, 10:45:04 AM »
Link also turned into a Wolf in the NP Zelda comics.  

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread (updated 09/09/2007)
« Reply #701 on: September 10, 2007, 10:46:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
And wouldn't "Cucco Hunt" be awesome?

Rather.
GOREGASM!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 10, 2007, 10:57:17 AM »
Kotaku Confirms Link is getting his crossbow cert.
http://kotaku.com/gaming/breaking/nintendo-dates-wii-zapper-confirms-links-crossbow-298328.php

Players assume the identity of hero Link, who progresses through a series of tests to perfect his crossbow marksmanship. Start with stationary bull's-eyes and graduate to moving targets before defending Link against all kinds of enemies.

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 10, 2007, 11:01:27 AM »
Cool, I just might pick up the Wii Zapper just for this game. Hopefully, it'll be as deep as the fishing game in TP. It's sad that a side game is better than all the other full fledge fishing games on the Wii.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 10, 2007, 11:15:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"Since when is a bundled-in spin-off canon?"

Since when did Nintendo make bundled-in spin-offs of ZELDA?

Since 4 Swords for GBA, I suppose.

The odd 2-Handed design of the Wii Zapper actually makes a little bit of sense if I think of it as a crossbow.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: September 10, 2007, 11:21:37 AM »

Originally posted by: Terranigma Freak
I don't mind a cross bow being canon. A cross bow actually does fit into the Zelda universe. You guys are acting like Nintendo suddenly made a Zelda game where Link took off his pants and slaps Zelda in the face with his man parts. Or... Link with a gun!

Well, I just find it sort of weird that Link would get a new item in a non-main-quest game...Not to say I'm complaining, because I'll be getting it anyway! =D
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 10, 2007, 11:30:27 AM »
To me, when I heard it's starring Link, I immediately imagined a game with beautiful scenery and Link out hunting. I'm a nature kind of guy. Of course this is just my vision, and I could end up being very disappointed. At least this tech demo will look pretty since it uses the TP engine.

It's true! Nintendo's Official Press Release!

NINTENDO'S NEW WII ZAPPER TARGETS FUN

First Wii Game-Play Accessory Comes Packaged with Zelda Software

REDMOND, Wash., Sept. 10, 2007 - Nintendo announced today that the Wii Zapper™ interface for the hit Wii™ home video game system will come packed with Link's Crossbow Training™. The software is based on the hugely popular Legend of Zelda® series and provides a perfect demonstration of the way the Wii Zapper could be used in other games. The Wii Zapper casing houses both the motion-sensitive Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™ controllers in a single unit for precision targeting. It goes on sale Nov. 19 at an MSRP of just $19.99.

"The Wii Zapper combines our remarkable controllers into one housing with a classic style reminiscent of arcade-style games," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "Both veteran and first-time players will find it brings a whole new dimension to games where targeting is key and provides even more exciting game-play experiences."

Link's Crossbow Training drops players into a world in the style of The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess. Players assume the identity of hero Link, who progresses through a series of tests to perfect his crossbow marksmanship. Start with stationary bull's-eyes and graduate to moving targets before defending Link against all kinds of enemies.

Third-party publishers have lined up to support the Wii Zapper. EA's Medal of Honor Heroes™ 2 lets players take World War II into their hands with the Wii Zapper. The game features an all-new Wii-exclusive Arcade Mode that offers accessibility to gamers of all skill levels, a full single-player campaign and support for up to 32 players in multiplayer. Capcom's Resident Evil®: The Umbrella Chronicles reveals the back story behind the fall of the Umbrella Corporation by exploring locations from Resident Evil 0, 1, 2 and 3, as well as new never-before-seen locations like Umbrella's stronghold. One or two players use the Wii Zapper to take aim against a horde of zombies in first-person perspective. SEGA's Ghost Squad™ lets players replicate the arcade light-gun experience at home with the Wii Zapper.

Remember that Wii features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other Wii features, visit Wii.com.

The worldwide innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii™, Nintendo DS™, Game Boy® Advance and Nintendo GameCube™ systems. Since 1983, Nintendo has sold nearly 2.4 billion video games and more than 420 million hardware units globally, and has created industry icons like Mario™, Donkey Kong®, Metroid®, Zelda™ and Pokémon®. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, visit the company's Web site at www.nintendo.com.

EA and Medal of Honor Heroes 2 are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 10, 2007, 11:38:44 AM »
I do wonder if Aonuma's Zelda team is behind this, or someone else...

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 10, 2007, 11:40:11 AM »
Well considering it's a FREE game that comes with the $20 Zapper, I don't see the problem with this.  Now if it was a $50 game that you bought seperate, that would be an outrage.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 10, 2007, 11:52:59 AM »

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
Well considering it's a FREE game that comes with the $20 Zapper, I don't see the problem with this.  Now if it was a $50 game that you bought seperate, that would be an outrage.

You you can look at it as a free useless plastic packed with a little game.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #710 on: September 10, 2007, 12:08:45 PM »
Horrible products.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 10, 2007, 12:21:59 PM »
I always liked crossbows. They have more armor piercing power and are easier to learn how to use then normal bows.

But all bows are for sissies. Magic's cooler, but still sissy. I liked close combat more as there's more blood like one time I was fighting a dwarf and he made me run and then I pushed a boulder at him and his stubby little legs couldn't run fast enough so he went squish and I jumped up and down in the puddle and laughed.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 10, 2007, 12:52:34 PM »
"Well, I just find it sort of weird that Link would get a new item in a non-main-quest game"

To me putting the crossbow in a "real" Zelda game would be like when they put Krystal in the main Star Fox games.  I found it really annoying that something in the main series was introduced in a spin-off.  It doesn't help that the spin-off sucked and all the Star Fox games since then have also sucked.  It might just be a coincedence though.  Quality does make a difference I guess and a crossbow is generic enough that one could have showed up eventually anyway.

Still when I'm playing a game in a series I like to forget about any shortcomings the series has had in the past so putting spin-off stuff that could easily be excluded from the main series in ruins that.  Again though if the game rules it probably won't matter.  But I REALLY don't like Nintendo's endless spin-off mania.  Not only is it hypocritical as hell for them to be always talking about innovation when they whore everything out but it dilutes the franchises and makes the series less special.  IP's are usually hurt by too much product, especially when it's blatant money-grab product and spin-offs of main series often fit that criteria.

No one gives a sh!t about Mega Man or Bomberman games anymore.  Those games might still sell but no one looks back and reflects fondly on a GBA Bomberman because so many games have been released for that IP that at some point they all just blended into each other.  Mario is at the point where if they annouce any Mario game that isn't a platformer I just don't get excited because we get tons of Mario spin-offs ever year.  They're not special or unique.  I don't want that for Zelda or Metroid though they've already crossed the spin-off bridge now with both of them.

When a company starts thinking in a way where they think of a game idea and then try to figure out how to put their existing IP into that concept, there's a problem.  It's all just corporate product then.  Nintendo could have kickstarted a NEW IP with the zapper or resurected a long dormant one that fit the concept like Duck Hunt or Battleclash.  Instead let's just find a way to get that Link character on the box and get some sales out of that.  I know this is all a business but there's a way to be less obvious about it.  Pretend Zelda is more than a brand to milk and that's how you get people to truly care about it.  The proof is in how people care about Zelda now, as it hasn't been milked to all hell...yet.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 10, 2007, 01:24:48 PM »
omg, Nintendo gone crazy... I still can't believe is true, what kind of audience would get this? I guess Nintendo is making some sort of joke statement with this, like "the hardcore" gamers have to get a game with "training" in the title... I would have prefered duck hunt, or even a Zombie minigame made by Capcom, Zelda really isn't about shooting so it just looks like plain milking of the franchise, and a zapper doesn't fit at all, or maybe they will sell separately some crossbow attachment?

And who really cares if it s a crossbow? its not like it would made a huge difference gameplay-wise.

EDIT: I can't wait for screenshots, maybe it would give us a hint on the future art direction of the Zelda wii game, hopefully...
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 10, 2007, 02:23:03 PM »

Nothing new from Ian.

So noted.

When a company starts thinking in a way where they think of a game idea and then try to figure out how to put their existing IP into that concept, there's a problem. It's all just corporate product then.

So like, when they had an idea for a 2-D platformer in 1985 and decided to use their existing Mario Bros. IP, that was a problem?  Can't wait to see the paragraphs of damage control for this.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 10, 2007, 02:30:20 PM »

Originally posted by: Deguello

Nothing new from Ian.

So noted.

When a company starts thinking in a way where they think of a game idea and then try to figure out how to put their existing IP into that concept, there's a problem. It's all just corporate product then.

So like, when they had an idea for a 2-D platformer in 1985 and decided to use their existing Mario Bros. IP, that was a problem?  Can't wait to see the paragraphs of damage control for this.

QFT

What do you think Nintendo does with their hardware.  Oh look at me Im Nintendo and I just created the N64, I have now made the analog stick. Zelda has never been in 3d before and will never use the analog stick that is such a gimmick.  

I created the Wii now and have true 3-d motion capabilities but I still have a D pad therefore all the games I make will use the D-pad!

I R NINTENDO I USE MI TECHNOWL0GEES FOR ST00PID RE4SONZ!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 10, 2007, 02:51:58 PM »

EDIT: I can't wait for screenshots, maybe it would give us a hint on the future art direction of the Zelda wii game, hopefully...

I think it's supposed to use Twilight Princess' art design.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 10, 2007, 02:56:03 PM »
I have a feeling that the next Zelda game will expand on Twilight Princess' style (and perhaps the same characters!)...

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 10, 2007, 03:12:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane[...]

No one gives a sh!t about Mega Man or Bomberman games anymore.  Those games might still sell but no one looks back and reflects fondly on a GBA Bomberman because so many games have been released for that IP that at some point they all just blended into each other.
Really, you think noone cares about Mega Man or Bomberman anymore? For shame Ian.
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline MLS_man_64

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 10, 2007, 04:25:21 PM »
Well, far less than they did in the NES era.  Back then every Mega Man was a big game.  Now we get six a year in a slow year  
"I want to be some muscle bound guy dressed like Rambo with a huge gattling gun shooting aliens while I'm snowboarding down an erupting volcano."---Ian Sane

"If you put a $10 ticket up two bucks, that's a 40 per cent jump," he said.---The Toronto Star

If a broken 360 is on a store shel

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #720 on: September 10, 2007, 04:29:36 PM »
Nintendo fans will truly make an issue out of anything...I honestly don't understand what the fuzz is over the Wii zapper game. Its not like we are getting a second game of Zelda CD-i games or somethings. Jeez!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 10, 2007, 05:05:48 PM »
It's just sad Pap that they have to try and milk the Zelda franchise as opposed to including a full scale remake of Duck Hunt which would have made perfect sense for such a peripheral.

And with the Zapper name . . . I . . . it . . . I mean it was just too perfect.

But alas. It's not the most disappointing thing ever to me but I'm with the "why Zelda?" crowd. . . if there is one.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 10, 2007, 05:16:31 PM »
That's not sad. An updated Duck Hunt would be sad. Wii Play's was and I really have no idea what they could do differently from that game if they were to release a duck hunt for it. I welcome this new gaming effort from Nintendo with open arms!!!

Also, if they're re-using the TP engine for it, it'd be uber awesome. Easily developed, but a beautiful set-up to wow non-gamers, entertain casuals, and keep the hardcore at bay.

And though this probably won't be any sort of Zelda revelation... it'd make for an awesome tiny little sidequest to TP's story! They could even introduce new characters!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 10, 2007, 06:57:18 PM »
Plus let's face it, the Zelda franchise is dying in popularity. This will no doubt help it get some more fans.

Originally posted by: 31 Flavas

Originally posted by: Ian Sane[...]

No one gives a sh!t about Mega Man or Bomberman games anymore.  Those games might still sell but no one looks back and reflects fondly on a GBA Bomberman because so many games have been released for that IP that at some point they all just blended into each other.
Really, you think noone cares about Mega Man or Bomberman anymore? For shame Ian.

The difference is that most Megaman and pretty much all Bomberman games are exactly the same. People dont like to buy the same game over and over. These are COMPLETELY different.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 10, 2007, 07:02:44 PM »

It doesn't help that the spin-off sucked and all the Star Fox games since then have also sucked.
Hey, hey hey.. Command was actually pretty good..

That's not sad. An updated Duck Hunt would be sad. Wii Play's was and I really have no idea what they could do differently from that game if they were to release a duck hunt for it.
Hey, hey, hey.. That minigame has the best first person controls on the Wii, bar none.. I got 713 points! I R hardcore!
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig