Author Topic: Mario Kart DS - The Release Thread  (Read 54942 times)

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Mario Kart DS - The Release Thread
« Reply #225 on: November 20, 2005, 04:50:44 AM »
I hate Yoshi Falls because it's boring as hell.  If I lose at it it's probably because I fell asleep.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 20, 2005, 04:59:06 AM »
Alright i've found out something about the item stat, it determines how many mushrooms you get in Time Trial. Full stat means 3 mushrooms, middle / high but not full means 2, and low means 1.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #227 on: November 20, 2005, 05:30:30 AM »
I get my best time in Yoshi Falls by skipping the longer waterfall and going through the other two...

In 150cc, I have been able to make the long waterfall with a combination of one mushroom and a well timed slide boost, but it is very risky.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Mario Kart DS - The Release Thread
« Reply #228 on: November 20, 2005, 06:07:47 AM »
I must say, as much as I love this game.  And playing on line is wonderful.  And the graphics, and the variety in maps, and just everything.  After playing DD, I am freakin awful with this D-Pad.  It makes me sad D=.

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 20, 2005, 06:00:44 PM »
Okay, hang on, after experiencing one of these lightweight karts with the straightway powersliding trick, Mario Kart DS is just...ugh, imbalanced. If you try power slide boosting with the Egg 1 (That's Yoshi's first car of choice) then you can go at incredible speeds with it. This is just a real kick in the ass. The first online Mario Kart game, and its already flawed by this...

...I'm still gonna play it, but I dont expect my runtime with it to last as long as I'd hoped.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Arrow

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 20, 2005, 06:09:31 PM »
I don't see it as imbalancing since everyone can do it. It just sucks because it makes heavy weights useless for online play.
It takes an idiot to do cool things.
That's why it's cool.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #231 on: November 20, 2005, 06:16:39 PM »
It's actually a very hard move to pull off....

I don't understand why you are freaking out now.. It was in both Double Dash and 64 in the same way.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 20, 2005, 06:19:40 PM »
But now we have our internet ego to protect!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #233 on: November 20, 2005, 06:33:55 PM »
And if you remember Diddy Kong Racing, powersliding thru 90% of a ground-based track ensures VICTOLY!!~
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 20, 2005, 07:45:13 PM »
Man Arrow you are freakin fast. Out of at least 8-10 races I managed to beat you about 3 times. And I think  only once when  we went one on one.
Any who can someone explain to me the straitway powersliding strick? I can't seem to wrap my head around the concept of doing it. Oh and Arrow this is Wushu lv3.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Arrow

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 20, 2005, 10:06:35 PM »
Basically, you use a light weight/high acceleration car (Dry Bomber is supposedly the best), and then starting from the middle of the track, start veering one way, and then power slide in the opposite direction. Then power slide back the other way. Back and forth. You have to be able to get the red sparks really quick after you start drifting or you'll hit the wall. Like Pale said, it's a hard move to pull off... it takes a lot of practice. I can only do it on really wide tracks like Figure-8 and Luigi Circuit, but I've seen people that seem to be able to do it constantly O_O

I enjoyed our races, there were quite a few close ones. Looking forward to racing you again sometime.
That's why it's cool.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 20, 2005, 10:21:07 PM »
It's Snaking all over again!
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 21, 2005, 06:40:56 AM »
Its not really a hard technique to pull off, although there are some roads where I have that problem like Rainbow Road.

But still, I wish Nintendo would've considered this as a possibility to ruin the online mode for this game, I dont want to have to face against people who do this forever...
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 23, 2005, 06:58:14 PM »
Anyone want to get a Time Trial thing going? I'll start

SNES Mario Circuit 1 - 0:49:491 - 0:16:197

(best time, best lap)

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 23, 2005, 08:38:05 PM »
"But still, I wish Nintendo would've considered this as a possibility to ruin the online mode for this game, I dont want to have to face against people who do this forever..."

Unavoidable, if it wasn't snaking it would've been something else.  Welcome to the online world (for those new to it).

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 23, 2005, 09:38:50 PM »
Exactly. People do very stupid things when you can't punch them in the face for it.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 24, 2005, 09:19:18 AM »
Is it possible to do the docks shortcut in Delphino Plaza without a mushroom?  Not the one where you jump to the dock, but the narrow passage after the boxes.  Whenever I get mah RED SAPHKS goin' I automatically boost once I hit the dirt (whether I let go of R or not...) and then slow down to a crawl when I hit the mud.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 24, 2005, 03:40:45 PM »
I'm not sure, I think what some people do is just go through there slowly (or continually hop to go a bit faster), even though it takes about the same amount of time as going around, to me it seems like it's only quicker if you have a mushroom. You can take that one where you jump to the dock without a mushroom though.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 24, 2005, 07:00:34 PM »
If I see another Yoshi or Dry Bones picked I swear I'm gonna break someone's neck.  All I see online now is Yoshi vs. Dry Bones vs. Luigi vs. my character, usually Yoshi since nobody else I pick seems to win.  Even when I play in Rivals it's usually the same thing.  I dunno, I think I need to get away from the online portion of it for a couple days or something.  The last thing I was expecting from Mario Kart was for it to end up reminding me of the dreaded Sophie/Cassie curse called Soul Calibur 3.

Offline Arrow

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 24, 2005, 07:11:20 PM »
I think the Delfino shortcut is slightly faster than going the long way even without a mushroom as long as you have a very light character (Dry Bones, Toad, or Yoshi). The last shortcut on Sky Garden is ALWAYS faster than going the long way, regardless of whether you have a mushroom and/or are light weight.

Here's my question: Assuming you have a mushroom, which saves more time on Delfino - the docks shortcut or the alley shortcut? To me it seems like they're about the same. Given the difficulty of the docks shortcut, I would rather just take the alley.
That's why it's cool.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 24, 2005, 07:11:38 PM »
Now that I have all characters with all karts I pick whoever I want and find a suitable kart.  If I'm feeling groovy I go with Daisy cuz she be trippin, if I'm feeling angry I'll go with Waluigi cuz he be hatin.  My default character is ROB cuz he's just cool.  I find it more fun when I try to have fun with it.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 24, 2005, 10:09:18 PM »
Oh yeah, can someone tell me how the Staff Ghost in Desert Hills goes OUT OF BOUNDS. I follow it's exact route when it does its shortcut and I get OB'd, wtf? Also how the hell does it go over BOTH mountains in a single mushroom?

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 25, 2005, 05:31:09 AM »
I have gone OB several times trying to over do the DH shortcut.... one of my things in my bag o' tricks for that course is to use a mini-turbo to get a bit through the first mountain... then use the mushroom late to get through the rest.  I usually don't cut too far into the mountains when I do that though... I have not done that course on time trial to see what the ghost data is.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 25, 2005, 05:54:49 PM »
URGH. Amazon said my order was shipping today but it hasn't! I'm going to buy it through Toys R Us instead. SUCK THAT AMAZON.CA!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 25, 2005, 07:37:07 PM »
Hey Darknight you won't have to worry about me, my main character of choice is Bowser with standard ROB car. 104 wins and 37 losses. I do a pretty good job with him, plenty of speed and just enough acceleration to get going if I get knocked over or stuck in dirt or something. And second is daisy, mainly because I rarely see people play with her.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn