Author Topic: A Zelda, staring Zelda?  (Read 14145 times)

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
A Zelda, staring Zelda?
« on: November 30, 2004, 04:45:56 AM »

This was lifted from Nintendo of Europe's recent interview with Eiji Aonuma about The Minish Cap and the Zelda series in general.

NoE: Can you tell us how Zelda fits into the gameplay? There has been some suggestion you can play as her!

Aonuma: In this title Princess Zelda is turned into stone, and the mission is to help her. We will realise the idea of playing as Princess Zelda in another title.

I found the above on another forum.  Interesting.  Can't stop thinking of the CDi.  I'm hoping they make a new Zelda game with Ganon, Link, and Zelda playable as the goodguys.  It would be more likely for them to make a Zelda game with Zelda as the main character with Link and Ganon as computer controlled characters.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: A Zelda, staring Zelda?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 05:21:46 AM »
Playing as Zelda would most likely be added in as a "subquest" of sorts in which you only play a small part of the game as the Princess...Such as switching over to her to escape from a dungeon or whatnot...

(Ganon as a good guy? Ahaha, no)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 06:58:47 AM »
Ganon as a good guy makes no sense.  He's like the Hyrule equivalent of Satan.  Bowser as a good guy worked in Super Mario RPG because Bowser is really more of a really mean jerk and thus it's easy for him to be the lesser of two evils.  But Ganon is like an absolute evil entity who desires to rule over all.  He can't be the lesser of two evils.  That's like having Sauron be a good guy.

Controlling Zelda seems fine though I've never really had any desire to play as her.  I think the only reason anyone has ever wanted to play as her is because they can't get past the fact that her name is in the title despite her not being the main character.  If they want to make a game where you play her that's fine as long as it doesn't suck and Link isn't captured (because that would make no sense).

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:A Zelda, staring Zelda?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 07:57:29 AM »
You know Ian, I loved your definition of Bowser as a "really mean jerk".  That's just great. Priceless.  But I could see Ganon and Link joining forces in one game in which Vaati conjures up Ganon's ghost or something and pits it against himself.  Sure it's just whimsical thinking, just you never know, stuff could happen.  
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 08:38:47 AM »
Or playing on Ben's idea a bit more, you could have an encounter and a battle with Ganon, only to have it interrupted by a stronger third party. Link would have to team up with Ganon temporarily to eliminate the other force, and then get back to finishing the battle with Ganon.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 11:07:23 AM »
I don't see Link and Ganon really joining forces, but I could see them fighting against the same enemies by coincidence, much like the Halo games.  I can't imagine a sustained alliance, though.  I think sure Ganon would rather work alone, and Link would find working with him distasteful.

As for a game where I could play as Zelda, that might be cool.  I agree that having her rescue Link would be lame, but not so much because I think it's implausible (Ganon had significant opportunities to capture or defeat Link in both OOT and WW), rather I think it would be a lame plot.  It would be easy enough to have Link lost on some adventure, or even ignore his whereabouts totally.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 11:27:37 AM »
Zelda is all about playing as Link, playing the technically inferior warrior, that slowly gains strenght, but really excels in bravery.

Thats what OOT was all about and what I loved about it so much, Ganon got the Triforce part of Power and Wisdom or something, but Link the Courage part. His courage and determination and pure heart are his real skills, and those turn into his battling skills. But technically, Ganon or Ganondorf for that matter, is always more powerful.

Also I am convinced it wouldnt fit the Zelda series if Ganon/dorf and Link team up, its just wrong. As someone said before, Ganondorf is THE evil, when playing OOT (I was younger, but still) his character really frightened me, this insane power and incredible evil, really intimidating.
LZ 2005

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 12:05:47 PM »
A game starring Zelda.....The legend of Link: A Zelda to the Past???
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 03:47:54 PM »
Yeah...Ganon is to Sauron, while Bowser is to Nelson (Simpsons).  Nelson's teamed up with Bart once in a while.  Sauron never teamed up with Dofro.  Ha.  Dofro.  Frodo.  Get it?  No? Oh...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 05:04:05 PM »
I was thinking of a two game story.  In one game Link, Ganon, and Zelda grow up together in Hyrule fighting against a dark army (Shadow King).  They each have a piece of the triforce.  It doesn't mean that Ganon always has to be the bad guy.  People say they want something different.  The first game could end several ways.  They could fight a Pig version of Shadow Ganon and then as the game ends Ganondorf becomes possesed by the Shadow King.  The Shadow King could be revealed as more of a parasite.  Then the next game they are adults and Ganondorf is like a Darth Vader character.  He needs depth.  To make him flatly evil sucks.  

Or they could defeat the final boss and then find a statue with a sword in it.  Either Ganondorf could pull it out and become possesed or Ganondorf could try but be unable to pull it out.  Then Link could pull it out and the statue could come to life.

Other alternatives could be playing a more puzzle/ intelectual Zelda game staring the Princess alone.  

A story line in which we play as Ganon as he grows up and in the end fights Link and Zelda.

A story in which we play as an evil Zelda.

A story in which Ganon and Link grow up together as thieves and fight off a new evil.

I could see a Zelda oriented Zelda game being cel shaded.

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 05:18:47 PM »
Zelda has always been a 'legend'. The former bad guy comming up to help the hero is a cheap trick of modern stories; it has no place in Zelda.

As for playing as Zelda, I honestly don't want Zelda to pan out into a large multiple-genre franchise like Mario has. As long as it's not a spin off like Tetra's Trackers, I'm sure it will be fine.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 06:30:55 PM »
How about a game where you play as Ganon and try to take over Hyrule?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 11:19:04 PM »
Actually I would like that game UncleBob.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2004, 01:52:26 AM »
What an original idea!  Nobody has thought of that before...
EDIT:  Well since I suck at using the forum's search I can't find it... but I have pitched an idea where Ganondorf was the main character in a Zelda game.  It used to be in the Hyrule channel so maybe it was deleted?
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 02:02:45 AM »
Maybe because the idea sucks...

Let's stay away from this kind of garbage/milking with this series, k?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 02:03:58 AM »
I think the only way to introduce Ganon as a playable character would be to make a different game, something like a warcraft like game. But Zelda should remain what it is, the best action adventure game series there is.
LZ 2005

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 02:45:06 AM »
The only game I want to see Ganondorf playable in is Soul Calibur 3.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 02:54:48 AM »
I just got the title of the topic.  "Staring" Zelda?  I had no idea what that meant.  But I get it now; "starring" Zelda.  

Back on topic, I think Nintendo should stay away from these ideas that simply milk the series.  Just go play SSBM to play as Zelda or (I know he's not quite Ganon, but) Ganondorf.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 05:18:58 AM »
Michael: What, drop him for the next SSB?

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 05:46:12 AM »
Sadly I can see Bill's idea becoming reality. Not that I would mind Zelda doing naked cartwheels.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline - dragon -

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2004, 05:53:10 AM »
a game staring zelda is a great idea but what will it be like? will zelda have special weapon? could she transform into sheik? it is a good idea but i am not sure if it will work  

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2004, 06:40:53 AM »
I don't really see how telling a Zelda tale from the perspectives of one of the two other main characters, Zelda and Gannon, would be milking the series...The Zelda series actually would be a great candidate for a "telling from all sides" setup.  Unfortunately, that is so damn cliche nowadays.  
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2004, 08:21:34 AM »

It would be more likely for them to make a Zelda game with Zelda as the main character with Link and Ganon as computer controlled characters.

Just stop thinking please.

It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2004, 04:06:19 PM »
Well they're making a platformer starring Princess Toadstool (Peach), so why not have a game starring Zelda? Far be it for me to guess what goes on in Eiji Anouma's head, but I'm guessing it'd more puzzle/adventure oriented than action.

Four Swords Adventures was a nice diversion that made good use of connectivity; I've got absolute confidence that the big N wouldn't make a sub-par game with the title "Zelda" with it.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2004, 02:10:16 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Maybe because the idea sucks...

Let's stay away from this kind of garbage/milking with this series, k?

You know the major complaint I had for OoT was that despite the fact that it advanced the series into 3d it did little as far as developing more depth in the game compared to LttP.  LttP was leaps and bounds ahead of the original Zelda in my opinion, not just graphically either.  I was hoping for such advancement with OoT, instead we got what could now be considered the standard Zelda story.  A retelling of LttP, the standard, which is pretty much a retelling of the original game.  WW has caught more flack for being unoriginal than any Zelda game I can remember.  Despite the water, graphics, and other technical advances the game does little different from the past Zelda games.  Where is the voice acting, where is the voice recognition, where is the innovation.  Are we going to have to beat congos in the next Zelda?  Where is the series going?    

Personally I'm tired of Zelda being made into a music game and I want the new Zeldas on the consoles to do new things like voice recognition.  

I want to be able to see hawks circling a carcus in future games and know that something is dead ahead.  I get there and find a moblin eating a deer, hide in the bushes MGS style, and shoot an arrow through the pig's face from safe distance.