Author Topic: Halo 2, Thoughts?  (Read 25490 times)

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Halo 2, Thoughts?
« on: November 07, 2004, 07:56:04 PM »
I don't know how many ppl have already played Halo 2 yet but I wanted to know if anyone else out thier felt dissappointed like i did.

Although I do like alot of the new guns, vehicles and maps, I really thought there could have more work done on Halo 2.

If you are wondering how i played it already, I know a friend who knows a friend who runs a Hollywood Video store and we got to play it for a whole freakin day!

Question, I was trying to customize my character for mulitplayer and I couldn't find a way to create your own shoulder emblem/logo.  I searched the logos and only found a few ones that i liked but most are pretty generic.  I couldn't figure out what the logo "Waypoint" was, i couldn't make it out, i might have just had it on a stupid color though so i dunno.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
RE: Halo 2, Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 08:55:16 PM »
I don't know about Halo 2, but Halo 1 definitely disappointed me.

In fact it disappointed me so much I have no incentive to try this one.

Even if it delivers all it says it'll deliver (not bloody likely), UT2K4 would kick its ass all over the place, but wouldn't bother taking its name because it wouldn't be worth taking.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
RE:Halo 2, Thoughts?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 09:58:47 PM »
I've played many FPS in my time, from wolfenstien, doom, duke nukem, hexen, goldneye, perfect dark, half-life, counter-strike, unreal tournament, time splitters, etc.  The Halo series in comparsion to any of these games hasn't added much to FPS.  But I do say Bungie did refine a lot of work from previous FPS games.

I still think developers haven't done better than Perfect Dark.  Perfect Dark had tons of guns, bots, multitudes of matches, lots of options, tons of characters, and one of the best stat trackings ive seen at the time period, Timesplitters has since then surpassed it but then again its the same creators for the most part.

After reading all the reviews, i have to say those scores are a bit nice.  IGN 9.8, GameInformer 10, Gamespot 9.4, XboxNation 9.  Most of the reviews commented that the single player game was short roughly 10-15 hrs.  

The graphics haven't changed much to my eye but the levels are pretty vast so i'll give them credit for that.  Sound isn't a major feature for the game.  Gameplay hasn't changed much at all.  So I really don't understand the +9/10 scores it's getting.

They could have added the ability to be regular marines in multiplayer (Perfect Dark, etc).  More guns that aren't similar to others (Perfect Dark).  Better stat tracking (Perfect Dark).  Bots.  Map making (timesplitters).

By the way alot of ppl treat dueling wielding guns in Halo as a new addition to FPS, its been done before and for a long time.  If Bungie makes a third Halo which they will, it better at least include some of the stated stuff, among some real new stuff.

Offline Shy Guy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 10:06:11 PM »
New on posting, old on reading...

I actually just got done playing Halo 2.  A guy down my hall is friends with someone who works at EBgames and was able to somehow sneek out his copy.  I will say that I really did like Halo 1---strictly for the multiplayer experience.  My friends in our dorm building link up and play quite often and have  a great time.  I was really excited for Halo 2, and when given the chance to play it *gasp* a whole day earlier, I couldn't pass up the chance.   I mean honeslty, it's supposed to be like the second coming >sarcasm<.

To be frank about it, I was deeply let down.  What hit me right away, as soon as I saw the level we were playing at, was that it doesn't look like Halo.  Then, to add another hit, once we started playing, it doesn't even FEEL like Halo.  It's hard to describe, but my roommate and I best summed it up by saying, it's more like a Counterstrike feeling.  Though it is in first person view, for some reason, it seems like I am looking over the shoulder of someone.  It's also a lot less smooth than the original.  It felt very jerk and frantic.  But, we were playing on a moded XBox so hopefully that had something to do with it.  Also, I didn't really know any of the levels or where things where, so maybe that had something to do with it, but still...it felt like a different game with a Halo theme.

Some of the little things that were annoying include the fact that you aren't hurt when you fall now, after duel weilding a weapong, if you get into a turret or vehicle and then get out, you are no longer duel weidling.  Also, it's much harder to pick out characters on the field and even when you find them, if you manage to shoot them, they don't "glow" like they did before.  Combat also felt like it was pushed to be more up close and in your face, because many of the weapons don't having aiming abilities (or completely lost all ability to aim, such as the pistol.  I know Bungie didn't want it to be so dominating this time around, but honestly, no aiming at all?).  Also, you can't kill people by running them over once with a vehicle anymore, it takes at least twice now.  AND...one of the biggest let downs (even though it really doesn't make that big of a difference in game play, it's just something they promised and didn't deliver) was the fact that the environment wasn't destructible.  I remember reading that you could reduce some of the buildings and such to shreds (though it would still stand).  Not once did I see anything crumble, break, or explode.  Maybe this was b/c of the Xbox again, I don't really know...

There were some positive things though.  The vehicle destruction is great!  Blasting a warthog or ghost while someone is on it and watching them exlode is hilarious.  Some of the new weapons are awesome, mainly the Elite's sword (thought it is cheap with it's one hit kills and all).  The levels are simply massive, which has it's negative side too.  Hijacking a vehicle while someone is on it gives you a rush, especially when you turn around and gun them or run them down.  The needler (my personal favorite from the original) has been improved.  The rocket launcher has a slight "seeking" ability making it much more fun to play with also.

I had some more, but that's all I can think of for now.  For the most part, it was a fun experience, not what I was expecting or really wanting either.  I was let down plain and simple.  Hopefully most of the negatives can be fixed when playing on a non-tampered with XBox (does anyone know if that can make a difference?)  If, after playing it more often, I do not get used to the new way the game is played, then I will can say I will be extremely disappointed.  It's like they added a lot of the things people wanted, yet took away everything I liked about it.  After that, I am looking forward to Metroid Prime 2 EVEN more now, I know Ninty won't disappoint.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 07:17:21 AM »
"(or completely lost all ability to aim, such as the pistol. I know Bungie didn't want it to be so dominating this time around, but honestly, no aiming at all?)"

Oh screw that...I'm a stealth killer in FPSers and that's all I have in Halo... >=(   Good job getting rid of the strategy, Bungie...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 09:19:07 AM »
I'm a stealth killer in FPSers and that's all I have in Halo

You misspelled "camper".

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 11:54:18 AM »
Nope, don't camp...My game in Halo is to stick to the shadows, but constantly keep moving, while using the scoped pistol...Staying still in a FPS where your opponents can pinpoint your location by looking at your screen is a death wish... ^_^

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 12:28:10 PM »
Complaining about campers in FPSs is ridiculous.  Its like saying you aren't allowed to take a layup in basketball because its so much easier than a 15 foot jumper....
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 02:02:09 PM »
I haven't played Halo 2.  However looking at the reviews I think it's going to be fair to say that it's overhyped.  Why?  Because the complaints from the first game haven't been fixed.  The single player supposedly still sucks.  That's a HUGE flaw.  You can't give a game f*cking perfect 10s if it sucks when played alone.

So it's probably fair to say this is Halo 1 but with better graphics and online play.  Why is that worth a 10?  Hell why did the original get 10s?

It's like GTA.  Everyone complains that the aiming sucked in GTA3.  So what do they do?  Not fix it for the sequels.  And the critics are all "hey the flaws are still present but who cares?  BEST GAME EVER!!"

Looking at Gamerankings six of the top ten games EVER are from this gen.  If that doesn't scream "what a bunch of overhyped sh!t" then what does?  The credibility of today's reviewers is virtually non-existant.  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 02:12:24 PM »
And it's mind-defecatingly aweful that many of them get paid for what they do.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 03:13:03 PM »
Also on Gamerankings is Metal Gear Solid...  Ghost Babel on the GBC.

WTF?
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline AMac2002

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 04:29:45 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane The single player supposedly still sucks.

That sentence is wrong on sooo many levels.

Oh well, I'll just leave this to the nice Halo bashing thread that it is...

Originally posted by: Ian Sane

Looking at Gamerankings six of the top ten games EVER are from this gen.  If that doesn't scream "what a bunch of overhyped sh!t" then what does?  The credibility of today's reviewers is virtually non-existant.

Um... you don't think that maybe has something to do with when Gamerankings was made. What are you expecting, reviews from the NES and SNES days? Only if they were reviewed in this century, which won't happen often (Chrono Trigger is the only one that comes to mind).

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 05:06:14 PM »
"Oh well, I'll just leave this to the nice Halo bashing thread that it is..."

Stop the serial victim crap, this thread's title is "Halo 2, Thoughts?" Not  "OMG I HAET HALOE2 LOL."

Honest discussion is not bashing just because it turns unfavorable.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 05:08:58 PM »
I liked the original Halo's multi-player, it made for some great, Laugh Out Loud matches.

Not much else I can say, MS hit the nail on this one. Hell, my school is having a Halo 2 'Fragfest' coming soon.

I gotta agree though, that reviewers should've been a bit more critical.

Halo got a 9.7, and part 2 got a 9.4 from Gamespot, so not ALL the reviewers fed into the hype.

1.5 Million copies right out of the gate. Very impressive. Could this eclipse the rest of the holiday line-up?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2004, 05:10:06 PM »
"Um... you don't think that maybe has something to do with when Gamerankings was made. What are you expecting, reviews from the NES and SNES days?"

Gamerankings reviews are for the last two generations because before that internet reviews weren't very common.  Considering that the previous gen's hardware have about 6 years or so of games compared to the 4 or so of the current gen it doesn't make sense the majority of the top ten to be from this gen.  And that's with some SNES games thrown in as well.  Come on.  Halo 1 & 2 in the top ten but not Goldeneye or Half-Life?  That's ridiculous.  If a game has any sort of hype this gen and is made by an American company like Rockstar, EA, or MS it gets insanely high reviews.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2004, 05:10:59 PM »
"That sentence is wrong on sooo many levels.

Oh well, I'll just leave this to the nice Halo bashing thread that it is..."

It's nice to see that given the opportunity to elaborate and perhaps dismantle an argument against the game, you instead chose to belittle us.

Thanks for contributing to the Halo bashing. I'm wondering if you've even played the game.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Molobert

• topo de oro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2004, 05:40:19 PM »
I'm getting it tonight, I'll let you guys know how it is. Just remember that good scores don't necessarily mean an overhyped game. Maybe it's actually really good!?!1  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2004, 05:51:49 PM »
Well that's what was said about the first one and I want my money back for the single-player portion...

Offline Molobert

• topo de oro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2004, 07:26:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Well that's what was said about the first one and I want my money back for the single-player portion...

Good point, the single player in 1 was boring as hell. But, pretty much every publication is saying how great the campaign is in H2 and that the repetitive level design of 1 is gone

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 08:48:34 PM »
Actually some reviews claim the opposite. I've read the worst-scored review from the bunch on gamerankings and they mentioned quite a few flaws in the game (some bugs apparently, singleplayer short and not that good, story sucks, ending even worse, etc). The review got a one-star user rating even though the criticism was fully explained and reasonable. The game might be good but not that much better than the competition that it deserves the scores it got.

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2004, 01:19:09 AM »
Well, I played Halo 2, and was really surprised as I enjoyed it quite a bit.  My favourite map was this one where you're on a really purple ship (I mean, it had purple Purple PURPLE) and it's really confined and hectic.  I got this sword and KILLED PEOPLE.  TO BITS.  It was great.  I think it's the first FPS that I've sat down with and just really had fun with.  And I didn't get sick, which was a plus.

Now, if only I can work out how to not die if I don't have the sword or that tank...
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2004, 07:15:20 AM »
Ironically, my friends are totally uninterested in Halo multiplayer, but two of us enjoyed the story mode cooperatively.  I would say that the one player game was noticeably flawed, but still good.  Still, it's not fair for me to say the multiplayer is bad, since I haven't given it an honest chance.

As for Halo 2, I expect to play a lot of it, maybe even all, with the same guy I played the first one with.  I bet I'll feel about the same way about it, but I'll have to wait and see since I don't have an Xbox.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2004, 07:25:43 AM »
That's the way I was with my friends.  The multiplayer totally disinterested us, but the co-op kept out "frothing demand."  The sad thing is now that I don't hang out with those people, and my roommate doesn't really like FPSes, I have no reason to buy the game.  I've been thinking "maybe I should get an X-Box" but then realize I have no one to play with, and don't feel like paying 60 dollars for online that I hardly ever use.  Even the PS2's online I hardly use.  But, maybe since I'll have to be doing an intership in Dallas, it'll be a little bit more hectic.  But one can hope......sad
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2004, 12:43:12 PM »

Originally posted by: Aussie Ben PGC
My favourite map was this one where you're on a really purple ship (I mean, it had purple Purple PURPLE) and it's really confined and hectic.

That was one of the more tolerable interiors. Not quite as tedious as the 'spiral' rooms.

Twas posted by: Aussie Ben PGC
And I didn't get sick, which was a plus.

Oh, you were talking about Halo 2. Oh.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline AMac2002

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2004, 02:01:25 PM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN

It's nice to see that given the opportunity to elaborate and perhaps dismantle an argument against the game, you instead chose to belittle us.

Thanks for contributing to the Halo bashing. I'm wondering if you've even played the game.

Sorry, for no argument, but really, they're all the same in the end. Sorry for belittling, that wasn't my purpose.

I infact have played the game, and am enjoying it immensly. I can say that one thing you don't get from screen shots, is that the cinematics really aren't that great. But the single player is definely fun, and the combat is so exciting. Haven't played multi yet.