Author Topic: Halo 2, Thoughts?  (Read 25567 times)

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Halo 2, Thoughts?
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2004, 08:16:48 PM »
I'm hearing tell that Halo 2 wasn't all that it was cracked up to be and that it is not, in fact, quite as good as the original in some ways.
Can't lie and say I'm upset about this.  Haha, yes!
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2004, 09:32:30 PM »
"I'm hearing tell that Halo 2 wasn't all that it was cracked up to be and that it is not, in fact, quite as good as the original in some ways."

There goes what little interest I had for the game. If it's not even as good as Halo 1...
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
RE:Halo 2, Thoughts?
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2004, 12:21:31 AM »
After putting alot of hours into this game now, i feel inconsistent about the game.  One part of me says they didn't put enough work on the game.  The other side of me still very much enjoying the game.

This time around so far I am liking the campaign mode because it throws you into bigger maps with alot more happening.  Story although is lacking IMO.

In Multiplayer i am very mad that there is no fall damage option, and the interface is the most annoyingest things ever.  If you have 4 players, each player has to sign in, and whoever signs in first gets the 1st screen (top left), 2nd person that signs in gets the 2nd screen (top right), etc.  By having this interface player four can end up having top screen, and it really confuses ppl in a big lan party.  Also whoever signs in first gets complete control over menus.

The new guns suck, besides the smg, and upgrades of the battle rifle, and new covenant rifle, etc, but that weird covenant laser gun is terrible.  It couldn't hurt a fly, even if it was the National hurt a fly with a laser gun day!

IMO the online game is really good except it takes you away from the ability to choose a online match.

Lastly, IMO the review of the game deserved at the highest a 8.8, and my actual score a 8.3

Offline MaleficentOgre

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2004, 03:30:42 AM »
You all can trust me, I'll tell you the truth.  The single player mode in Halo 2 is frickin amazing for the first two hours.  Its much better than Halo 1.  Problem is, people who are graphics whores will hate this game's cut scenes because Mario Tennis' opening is better.  Seriously, wario and waluigi are prettier than master chief and his marine buddies, after three years that shouldn't be true.  The gameplay is much improved, the dual wielding isn't as good as it should be.  You can't target multiple enemies, which is a shame.  They had time to perfect a system.  I mean if goldeneye and perfect dark did it then Halo 2 certainly could have.  The story is good, but not as epic as the first game.  The different vehicles really aren't that different.  Ooooo four different warthog colors.  They all control the same.  The Phantom is the only new vehicle worth jacking.  Ghost and Bansee aren't all that great.  Scorpions are amazing, but too easy to get jacked out of.  I don't have XBL so I haven't played online by myself.  I did go to a friends house and do that whole two player on one scren thing and it was okay.  The multiplayer missions suck for small groups.  They're just way too big.  Capture the flag takes forever.  If you have anything less than 16 people, most of the maps are unplayable.  One more gripe about multiplayer is that the maps are the same as last year, just with newer names.  The newer weapons are really not all that great.  They destroyed the pistol.  Just ruined what was the best weapon in the game.  The rest of the guns feel a little generic and out of place.  Its almost like playing unreal in the halo universe.  Overall its a good game though.  I'd pick it up now, because I see this game doing what the last one did and not dropping in price for years.  By then there will be something else more fun.  If you like FPS get it, if not then this won't change your mind.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2004, 05:54:19 AM »
"Oh no, they nerfed the most powerful weapon in the game!" -standard fan reply towrds balancing attempts from the developer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2004, 06:10:04 AM »
Maybe, but they replaced it by upping the power of the rocket launcher(homing, wtf) and making the sword a one-hit kill...Balancing means making equal, not making new super weapons to replace the last ones...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2004, 06:13:03 AM »
"standard fan reply towrds balancing attempts from the developer"

I agree with you somewhat, but still, that's just stupid. Bungie knows plenty of people have grown accustomed to the pistol and enjoy using it. Dumbing it down pissed off a lot of people... why fix what isn't broke?

Offline Shy Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2004, 07:29:08 AM »
After playing the game for quite some time over the last few days (only multiplayer, I haven't touched the single player mode yet...really have no intention to) I still come away from the game feeling let down.  I just can't seem to get the same feeling out of it that I did the first Halo.  I do agree with what a lot of people have said about it so far.  The new weapons do feel awkward and out of place.  The new vehicles don't add a thing.  I indeed do HATE the new interface with a passion.  You get used to playing on one screen and then everyone backs out of a game to start a new one and you end up signing in at different times and getting a different screen...WTF?  I don't understand the problem with first player gets top left, second player gets top right, etc.

"Its almost like playing unreal in the halo universe"---sums up my feelings entirely

"making the sword a one-hit "

How I hate this weapon.  Really cool at first.  Really annoying after about an hour.  Unfortunately, it's like the first thing that everyone goes for, then they just run around the level killing everyone and thinking that they are the best.  I did like the pistol from the original, it wasn't my gun of choice, but the fact that it is totally ruined for the second game makes absolutely no sense whatsover...especially by making the elite sword the weapon to end all weapons.  I would have given the game (based on the multiplayer LAN experience alone) an 8.5

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2004, 07:41:28 AM »
"How I hate this weapon. Really cool at first. Really annoying after about an hour. Unfortunately, it's like the first thing that everyone goes for, then they just run around the level killing everyone and thinking that they are the best."

They have a sword like this in Conker's Bad Fur Day.  It also lets you do flips which makes you harder to hit.  So I would use it all the time and really kick my brother's ass.  Then he learned how to shoot me in the face while I was flipping and basically killed my advantage.  So it's possible that once everyone gets more used to the game, techniques against the one hit sword will be discovered and the advantage will be gone.  Of course that sort of adaptation is more difficult online then it is when playing with a small group of people.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2004, 07:49:45 AM »
"So it's possible that once everyone gets more used to the game, techniques against the one hit sword will be discovered and the advantage will be gone."

Regardless, this shouldn't even be an issue.

It seems UT2K4 is still the best multiplayer FPS. I'm sticking with it... no stupid balancing issues and nobody I know who's played it has been let down.

Offline Shy Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2004, 11:24:32 AM »
I remember that sword in Conker's Bad Fur Day.  It always seemed to end up that all of us playing would have it and be jumping around each other and whoever got lucky enough to swing when someone landed would get the upperhand...

"So it's possible that once everyone gets more used to the game, techniques against the one hit sword will be discovered and the advantage will be gone."

You're right though.  If you can keep a distance between you and the person with the sword, you can continue to shoot them while they aren't able to do anything.  It's only when they get up close, or within distance for them to do the dash attack and kill you instantly.  I am still not a fan though...haha.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2004, 11:34:04 AM »
I think I'll be getting UT2K4 for my laptop sometime.  That looks like a good game.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2004, 01:32:51 PM »
I've played a fair few hours now and I would say I was disappointed but that wouldn't be true... let's just say my expectations were not exactly booming for the game.

It's the same game. The same problems are evident. I've played  approx 4 missions (9 levels) of single player, both alone and co-op and so far not one level has been anything remarkable. There's one cool twist playing as an elite that is outweighed by the return of the flood. It made me groan.

The real time cut scenes are very jerky, it's funny watching marines trying to turn 90 degrees and taking 3 seconds to do it. Anyone who has played the first level will have noticed it. Wasn't a good first impression. Kinda made me feel like the game was rushed for Christmas.

They've really pumped up the difficulty of Legendary which now has no respawning. Getting through a level really feels like an achievement, but is there a reward? So far it seems not.

Additionally in co-op there is no way of saving and quiting when you're midway through a level, it's a huge annoyance especially when there's no clear indication when one level ends and next begins the first time you play through.

I don't understand how bots were left out. I've only played 2 player deathmatches but they were ho-hum. I receive different medals and such but there seems to be no stat-tracking in my profile at all. I might be blind but oh well.

As others have said, on the interior maps the sword dominates, especially in these early days when finding your way is the biggest problem. I'm not sure but it seems that when holding the sword a person moves faster aswell an advantage that is not needed. As grenades are plentiful this complements the sword at long range.

No-one has mentioned the revamped health system, which i believe ruins certain battle types. Basically you only have a shield, no green yellow red health meter. This means that if Player 1 snipes Player 2 but doesn't kill  him/ her , P2 just hides for a few seconds while their shield recharges and it's like they never got shot. It appears that Bungie hates long range combat.

My favourite weapon from the first Halo was the rocket launcher. People have mentioned it may become the new super weapon but I don't believe this is the case. In Halo 1 it flew straight, now it has a weird spiral trajectory which makes it, if anything more difficult to hit targets with. It also appears that splash damage has been reduced. In Halo 1 a player wouldn't survive two indirect rocket shots, in Halo 2 a friend survived three.  

There are some good aspects of the game, I'm sure the multiplayer would be good with 6+ people. The levels are just too big. It would have been nice if all the Halo 1 levels were included for off-line play (especially Hang em High and Longest)
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2004, 01:46:34 PM »
"I don't understand how bots were left out."

Wait.  They STILL didn't put this in?  Gee Bungie that's only been in console first person shooters since the N64 days (I think Duke Nukem 64 had it back in like 1998).  What a load of sh!t.  How can a game that doesn't fix a huge flaw like that get a perfect 10?  I seriously consider such an omission as unacceptable.  If I ran a game company I would never under any circumstance allow my company to release a multiplayer focused FPS without bots.

Offline blackfootsteps

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2004, 02:11:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian SaneWhat a load of sh!t.  How can a game that doesn't fix a huge flaw like that get a perfect 10?

It makes you wonder...

It's almost like Bungie had never played / seen the new features of Perfect Dark but basically ripped off  the entire Goldeneye setup.

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2004, 02:13:06 PM »
That second spoiler automatically gives the game a 5 for me...Those sections of the first game were NOT FUN AT ALL...And aha, no bots, only close-combat battles...GREAT JOB, BUNGIE!

"Kinda made me feel like the game was rushed for Christmas."

Except Bungie has had 3 years...Unacceptable...

Offline blackfootsteps

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2004, 02:42:30 PM »
That section of Halo 1 was a chore and if Bungie was going for a similar feel... then they acheived their goal.

"Yay well done team we've just pissed off everyone who'll play this game. Wooooo!"

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2004, 02:45:53 PM »
They aren't that bad.  The sword deals with them wrather quickly.  Until they get behind you.  I really didn't like either spoiler gameplay wise.  Story wise the first was great though.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2004, 02:47:58 PM »
What's this splitscreen interface I keep hearing about in multi?  Is this on Live?  Someone plz clarify.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline blackfootsteps

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2004, 02:51:50 PM »
 You're right. It's more of a nuisance. It's just that apparently Halo 2 was going to be less repetitive. Oh well

Concerning the second spoiler: Gameplay wise it wasn't enjoyable because I have no feeling for the elite. I don't even know his name! It would have been cool if I had known he existed in the first game. He looks, sounds just like some random elite. At least he could have been gold.

Offline AMac2002

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2004, 03:06:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
That second spoiler automatically gives the game a 5 for me  

Why? That comment is completely retarded.

Originally posted by: Professional 666
What's this splitscreen interface I keep hearing about in multi?  Is this on Live?  Someone plz clarify.

Sorry, can you be more specific?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2004, 03:16:55 PM »

Originally posted by: AMac2002

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
That second spoiler automatically gives the game a 5 for me  

Why? That comment is completely retarded.

No it's not...I didn't like that part of the game, period...It was annoying and just plain NOT FUN...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2004, 03:24:39 PM »

Originally posted by: AMac2002

Originally posted by: Professional 666

Sorry, can you be more specific?

Umm, I hear there's a 4-way splitscreen during multiplayer.  Why is the screen divided?  Is this present in XBL play or offline play?  I'd assume people would want to play their online FPSs with the maximum viewing space available, 1 screen.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2004, 04:06:53 PM »
No, it's a weird "first come, first serve" layout for normal multi...Whoever "logs in" first gets the top left screen, etc, so you may not end up with the same corner of the screen every game...

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2004, 06:08:16 PM »
That seemingly didn't help.  When you play online, you get a full screen, unless you are sharing your account and playing with 4 players off of one box.  When you first log in though, screens are alocated not by controller port, but by order of logging in.  It is that "feature" that has many people perturbed.