Author Topic: Halo 2, Thoughts?  (Read 25498 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Halo 2, Thoughts?
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2004, 04:21:08 PM »
Nah, I'm saying both...  The ending was both bad AND unexpected...My roomies, who are hardcore Halo fans, were absolutely shocked and pissed...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline AMac2002

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Halo 2, Thoughts?
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2004, 05:13:38 PM »
lol, ya i was just saying in THAT context, you meant it... ya whatever...

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2004, 08:25:28 AM »
What got me was the ending.  Thought for sure you would be playing the master chief on the last level of the game.

I loved the action of the game but the story sucked major ass as well as the latter levels.  That whole talking plant was a dead giveaway--hell did anyone read the novel, that was great compared to Halo's 2 plot.

There's glitches in the game (AI as well as pop-ups) but overall the game is simply still alot of fun to play but it could have been more.  

MP is where the meat is.

Offline AMac2002

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2004, 05:13:56 PM »

Originally posted by: Ymeegod

There's glitches in the game (AI as well as pop-ups) but overall the game is simply still alot of fun to play but it could have been more.  

By AI I assume mean drivers who suck, because enemy, as well as friendly, AI is definetly top notch. But ya, sometimes Drivers really are stupid. But when they aren't it's fun.

And pop-ups, GOD! I hate those so much. Apparently it was between loading times, or pop-ups, and they went this the pop-ups. I think I could actually live with the loading times, because those pop-ups really tick me off. Oh well...

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2004, 05:28:28 AM »
So, opinions: will the ending turn away a lot of Halo fans, or just annoy a few really angry fans and make the rest want the next game even more?

I've finally played the first couple of levels.  Basically more of the same, which isn't all bad, but I'd say the game is once again overrated.  I haven't played the online multiplayer and I probably won't, so I can't say how good or bad the whole game is, but I was really hoping for more improvements to the campaign.  Especially to the lack of save points.

Two things the game has left me thinking, though: Nintendo needs to work on presentation in its games and I'd also love to see some co-op games from Nintendo.  I don't think I could stand to play all the way through the Halos on my own, but they're a lot of fun with a friend.

Edit: Fixed a typo.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2004, 05:58:38 AM »
Its not so much the ending as it is the game's length.  It feels rushed and then stopped abrubtly.  I felt ripped off.  If they do release the rest of the game on a live expansion I'll be even more ticked off because I don't have live.  That would alieinate nearly every person that has the game and doesn't have live.  I would never buy another bungie game again.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2004, 08:40:58 AM »
couch monkey: It's kinda "And now the REAL fight begins! To be continued!".

Offline AMac2002

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2004, 03:28:25 PM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey I was really hoping for more improvements to the campaign.  Especially to the lack of save points.

What do you mean?

Originally posted by: MaleficentOgre
Its not so much the ending as it is the game's length.  It feels rushed and then stopped abrubtly.  I felt ripped off.  If they do release the rest of the game on a live expansion I'll be even more ticked off because I don't have live.  That would alieinate nearly every person that has the game and doesn't have live.  I would never buy another bungie game again.

That definetly won't happen, they aren't that stupid. I can't see any story being added past the ending, it's just not gonna happen.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2004, 10:04:05 AM »
"By AI I assume mean drivers who suck, because enemy, as well as friendly, AI is definetly top notch"

No, I'm talking about having enemies who basically stand in the area even though 10 feet away you're slaying six of their buddies.  Or having a major detetion glitch because I was able to run straight at enemies before they could even react (on legendary mode no less).

Halo 2 AI really didn't seem to step it up any in my book.  More or less the same with the same glitches in the first game.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2004, 10:47:30 AM »
Ymeegod: I agree, the enemies in Halo 1/2 do seem to be caught unawares all too often.  I kind of like it, because it's fun to sneak up on them, but sometimes it's ridiculous -  it shouldn't be happening on Legendary mode.  I can do stuff I'd never get away with in Timesplitters 2 in this game.

I think the AI is pretty admirable for the most part but it doesn't seem to be improved at all from Halo.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2004, 09:39:16 PM »
I heard in multiplayer you could zoom in with a sniper rifle across the stage and switch to the sword quickly and dash across the stage.

Graphics were lame, Master Chief is lame, and the story is cut short to force people to buy an Xbox 2 to play Halo 2.5.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2004, 04:55:58 AM »
I think you can only "dash" with the sword when you are locked onto an enemy at fairly close range...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2004, 08:40:54 AM »
Bill - nemo_83's right.  See this article:   Halo 2 online glitch cheats popping up more frequently

There are several glitches going around, including the one nemo_83 mentioned.  Apparently you can also sometimes pick up weapons/flags by reaching through a wall or ceiling, turn your cable modem to standby to 'warp' across a level, and hide the bomb, forcing a game into sudden death.

Bungie is supposed to be working to fix all of these, except the one nemo_83 mentioned, because they don't see that one as a problem for some reason.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2004, 09:07:16 AM »
I see, it's through a glitch...How irritating...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2004, 01:30:17 PM »
SUPAA SNIPAA DASH ATTACKU!!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2004, 07:02:55 PM »
I dunno about Halo 2, but I just pilfered Halo from my friend's roommate

But he deserves, because he has an xbox and bought the computer version of Halo (fortunate for me).  How dumb is that?
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2004, 01:09:47 AM »
Sup dudes, I've been having Halo 2 LAN parties every night for a month and thought I'd bump this thread.

I've still barely played single player. They may as well have called it Halo: Arena and left it out, lollers. I'm loving the XBox live interface (although I've been mostly playing LAN) - the voice messaging and built-in clan stuff is the shizzle.

On weapon balance: the sword is a little bit overpowered, I think, but not a lot. The disadvantages are that it glows like Christmas (even with active camo), everyone wants to take it, and basically can NOT beat a good mid-range pair of weapons (as long as play proper-keep-away). Also, the sword always spawns in a central or high-traffic area, making it pretty dangerous to go for (although it's still worth the reward). So, yeah, all it takes to beat "the sword guy" is to use your head. Also, if you don't suck at the game, you can beat a sword guy dashing at you mid swing with a shotgun.

The Rocket Launcher is deadly as shizzle, though. The only balance to it is the small amount of ammo included. Protip lol: the Banshee can still easily roll out of the way of homed rockets like what.

The charge-up pistol and ANYTHING can be pretty deadly. A needler is suck, but 2X needlers can be pretty hot, especially the way they'll chew through an overshield.

On the side of glitches and other horrible things, there are more than a couple horrible, implausible areas that players can get to via jumping on each others' heads, vehicle voodoo, etc. Sometimes, it's just an awesome reward for being clever (like team jumping a 1-flag-ctf guy up to the sniper window in Zanzibar, or getting on the roof of the base there), but when a flag carrier can ride on his friend's banshee up to god knows where and get to an invisible-edge-of-the-world-stupid-glitch-place (or just return the flag in five seconds), something is definitely up. Like, check out Headlong. Look out towards the ocean from the overpass where the overshield and rockets spawn. Then check out the buildings on the left, going out to the ocean. Look up towards the very furthest corner. Yeah, we've been there, being a sniping son of a bitch. Also, we've been "on top" of Foundation where it's impossible to even fire or throw grenades up to. (LOL) Fortunately, the way of getting up there is pretty much impractical for any serious match. With the Banshee and a million extra fdisking places to hide, Bungie definitely didn't do any sniper rifle nerfing.

Oh yeah, XBox live name is SuperTy

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2005, 06:30:32 PM »
I was disgusted by the ending in Halo 2.  I wasn't expecting the game to meet the hype, though I had certain ticks about the first game like level design that I was sure were going to be fixed in the three years they spent cooking that crap.  The first time a cinema loaded up in the game and I noticed the bump mapping loading late, I knew something was wrong.  After I beat the game I could not get into playing it again just because the sheer pointlessness of the game.  There is no ending, they just cut it off.  With no proper ending suddenly the flaws of the game cannot be looked over.  The tunnel vision, the unoriginal hero, the horrible control options, general feeling of the same old same old, the dull graphics, the unimproved AI, the lack of lock on and double jump, and the many glitches that lead to cheap kills in death match ruin the game.  

The multiplayer maps were twice as lame as the maps from the first game, I've made maps that were more fun on Timesplitters 2.  

A real sequel to Halo could only be done on the next generation system and would involve armies, fleets of ships, and a fully 3D Halo that the game would take place on.  

Offline AMac2002

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2005, 10:22:54 AM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83the lack of lock on and double jump,

And there's the problem right there, this game is definetly not for you.

« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2005, 07:34:56 PM »
I did not care for the original Halo game and the same can be said about the sequel. Concerning first-person shooters, I'll stick with Goldeneye(which direly needs a GCN port although it is most likely not going to happen.)

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2005, 11:17:00 PM »

Originally posted by: AMac2002

Originally posted by: nemo_83the lack of lock on and double jump,

And there's the problem right there, this game is definetly not for you.

I like being able to look freely in Halo and Halo 2, but I miss the lockon and double jump of Prime.  I also hate the way I can't use dual analog control in Prime.  Can't we ever get the best of both worlds?  Will it always be East vs West?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2005, 01:44:28 AM »
What are you going to do with dual analog in Prime? Prime requires too much acrobatics for even the WASD setup. Not forgeting shot lag.

Sure you could argue that Cs plays faster, but you only need 2-3 shots on target to take some one down. Forget about dual analog for Prime.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2005, 01:38:16 PM »
Metroid Hunters has the best camera control around.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2005, 06:31:59 AM »
"double jump,"

Yeah, like in real life :0.  I actually perfer aiming for myself and rather than auto-lock.

I don't mind dual analogs if they are done correctly--for example Killzone vrs Halo.  Killzone was the twitchiest control setup in the world (sensitivity was set to 1 in opinion no less).  Especially for the Sniper rifle.