Author Topic: LOZ: 2005  (Read 572299 times)

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
RE: LOZ: 2005
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2004, 05:57:06 AM »
Stupid ESRB. Weak T rating. The problem with the T rating in America is that it becomes a gamble as to waht the Australian Office of Film and Literature will give it here. They rate them like movies, G, PG, M, MA, except they replace PG with G8+ because no parent can be expected to give "guidance" through their childs video game. The reason it's a gamble is that your "T" rating can translate to anywhere from G to M here. Example, Smash Bros Melee got G8+ (medium level animated violence) while Tales of Symphonia copped an M (medium level animated violence, adult themes.) Zelda games, traditionally get G (Ocarina of Time the Ganon throwing up blood version) or G8+(Links Awakening). It would be an odd feeling indeed if this were to receive an M.

Now I'm going to earn some fist here and jump into the line of fire. I support norebonomis' idea for more sex in Zelda. And I know what he means by it to. Zelda would still feel mostly the same and wouldn't be harmed if it had the same kind of sex content that, say Tales of Symphonia has. Sorry I keep using this example, it's just my game of choice at the moment, and by using it Bill can no longer argue . You know, a bit of inuendo, or suggestive themese from a particuarly promiscous zora, gerudo or farm girl wouldn't send the series too awry. It's not like the Great Faeries wern't treated as sex symbols in previous Zelda (OOT, MM) games. I feel as though the odd comment or reference would add maturity to the game without destroying children's lives. Those old enough to understand it might appreciate it and those who are young or sheltered wont get it and move on (unlike swearing or violence.)

What else was I going to say here?

Oh yeah I wanted to rant about Warrior Within, or as I like to call it, Weakness Within, but that's for another topic.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2004, 07:21:05 AM »
Sorry I keep using this example, it's just my game of choice at the moment, and by using it Bill can no longer argue

Oh yes I can!  Tales is Tales and Zelda is Zelda...  And if it's innuendo that you are really "meaning" than there isn't even a need to ask for it...Innuendo has been cleverly placed in Zelda games since Link's Awakening... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2004, 07:23:22 AM »
"Innuendo has been cleverly placed in Zelda games since Link's Awakening"

You got Marin! Is this your big chance?!

Favourite part of the game and with Link's Awakening that's saying something.

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2004, 07:23:48 AM »
lol, when there's a will, there's a way for Bill to argue

Poor Rabicle, thought that by using ToS as a shield, bill couldn't counter  that comment
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
RE:LOZ: 2005
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2004, 09:31:52 AM »
the big prob is not really the ratings but the parents .

if only some would take interest in what their kids were into.

i play through so many games with my son and if it is a bit violent or questionable then i ONLY let him play it  when were in the same room or together. that away i can keep him  remembering that it is a game and in real life  that stuff hurts.

and  when i can't  be with him while he plays then he's got mario sunshine and many other similar games that i have  played through myself as well and feel are more then ok for him to play.

wish all parents would just put more time and interest into their kids instead of themselves.

Offline Smashman

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2004, 11:22:13 AM »
The new GCN Zelda game of 2005 will make up for the major disappointment of WW, without a doubt.
I am the one and only Smashman. Don't believe me? Well, then. I shall entomb you!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2004, 11:35:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Smashman
The new GCN Zelda game of 2005 will make up for the major disappointment of WW, without a doubt because it is teh realisitic!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2004, 12:46:17 PM »
I support the notion of increased farmgirl service in ZERUDA.  Characters with similar visual impact as Resi4's spotlight ladies are very welcome as well.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2004, 01:44:31 PM »

Originally posted by: Smashman
The new GCN Zelda game of 2005 will make up for the major disappointment of WW, without a doubt.

...have you even played Wind Waker!?
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2004, 05:17:55 AM »
Why's everyone against "more violence" anyway.
Not Mortal Kombat or anything, but when you start chopping at something, you'd think there would be some structural damage done to whatever you are slicing up, including blood if applicable.

In Wind Waker you could smash Stalfos apart and break darknut armor and such. now in the realistic Zelda I think it would be appropriate if there was a reasonable amound of blood.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2004, 06:09:22 AM »
Um, no...

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2004, 07:57:44 AM »

Die. Die a horrible prolonged death.

<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2004, 09:49:31 AM »
i think what people are  thinking is if link chops someone with a sword and there arm falls off or the body falls limp to the ground dead then there should be something to indicate he actually made contact if it is going to be real.

otherwise they should once again vanish into big poofs of smoke.

either way works but  a dead limp lifeless body laying on the floor after i hacked him up with no blood makes less sense then one that vanished  into a big purple cloud of smoke.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2004, 10:03:58 AM »
I think the level of violence depends on the enemy.  With a plant creature or a mummy or a skeleton chopping off limbs would fit the game really well.  It adds an extra level of detail and at the same time it's done in a non-graphic way.  Remember you could cut the heads off of the Stalkids in OoT.  But I think it's unnecessary to show that sort of detail for anything that's going to create gore.  Sure it's not as realistic but Zelda's never been a totally realistic game and I think having blood everywhere is just going to take away from the game's charm.

I don't really like puffs of smoke though either.  A lot of games just have the enemies fall down as if they have died and then fade away.  That works for me.  It's not graphic and at the same time it doesn't look like a really blatant attempt to hide violence.  Look at Goldeneye.  The enemies react realistically to shots in that if you shoot their arm they grab it and if you get them in the face their whole head snaps back.  But you can't knock enemies' limbs off and blood doesn't spray everywhere.  It's not 100% realistic but it looks realistic enough to not seperate you from the experience and the game isn't a gorefest.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2004, 10:27:02 AM »

I don't really like puffs of smoke though either. A lot of games just have the enemies fall down as if they have died and then fade away.
It's better to burn out than to fade away.  My My Hey Hey.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2004, 10:32:35 AM »
"I don't really like puffs of smoke though either. A lot of games just have the enemies fall down as if they have died and then fade away. THat works for me."

What?  Fading enemies look really stupid, and I'd rather they stick with the "smoke death"...Or perhaps a "crumble to dust" type of effect...

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2004, 11:16:55 AM »
How did they handle the deaths in the N64 games?  I don't remember but I know it wasn't as in-your-face as the WW puffs of smoke (which work well for that game but would look odd in a non cel-shaded environment.)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2004, 11:52:44 AM »
In the N64 Zelda games, I think most enemies fall to the ground and disappear in flames or smoke. In Turok, enemies "melted" into the ground after lying motionless for a while, which I thought was cool.  Breaking up into skeletons a la Secret of Mana might work for this game if Nintendo could make the effect less cartoony.

It probably wouldn't work with the style Nintendo is going for, but I'd like to see Zelda that goes all old-school (lame!) by recreating effects from the NES game.  Have the enemies sort of explode in a flashy mess of pixels - no! VOXELS!  Yeah, that would be rad, just like the old cartoon series.  Of course, it might not be as cool as I remember.  But seriously, I think it would be neat to fashion a modern 3D game with 80s-style effects.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2004, 12:39:05 PM »
The best enemy death sequence I've seen is in Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

You have these parasitic insects that burrow up from the ground, cover the fallen enemies and decompose them.

That, or just leave the bodies lying around till you leave the area.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Morien

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2004, 09:29:21 PM »
I remember years ago when they were hyping the 64dd they were talking about a level of realism where you would kill an enemy and it would be there whenever you revisited the area (depending on where, so say they die in the middle of a crowded village then chances are the villagers would clean it up). Also they where talking real-time, so come back 24 hours (literal or in-game) and thered be flies and slight decomposition, come back weeks later and there'd be a rotting corpse. Of course this IS a bit much for a Zelda game, and I'm sure whatever they've done is good, but it would still be nice.
And regarding blood. There can be blood, just not blood baths. Violence, but not gore. If someone gets smacked with the sharp bit of a sword then i'd expect there to be some kind of a mark.

Just me i suppose. With these graphics and it's TA though I wouldn't think they'd disappear in a big cloud of smoke or come out of a sword fight without a mark. On a similar note, there should be more wuss enemies. Especially as Link grows stronger and more fierce. Say a pack of those little annoying sounding things (d-da D-DA) from WW and one finally challenges Link and gets smacked back, then the rest run away (and carry their fallen friend?). Either way.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2004, 08:24:42 AM »
Morien - I remember reading somewhere that a living forest was supposed to be in the Xbox game Fable.  Trees would age as the game progressed, and if you destroyed a young sapling as a child, it wouldn't grow up to be a great tree.  If you were evil the trees would shape into a hidious forest; if you were good, they would grow up straight and tall and be a nice place for a picnic.

I'm told the reason this didn't happen is because it would have taxed the Xbox's resourses too much, and--while possible--wouldn't have been worth it because too much would have to be sacrificed from other aspects of the game.

I can see the same thing being true for decaying corpses.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Morien

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2004, 05:36:51 PM »
Oh really?
Oh well. A man can dream....

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2004, 07:36:28 PM »
I prefer them dissolving or whatnot.  I mean, if you have this huge fight, and come back, they'll either have to have less enemies or make the bodies go away.  Otherwise it'd just get ridiculous, especially with the number of enemies you sometimes kill in Zelda games.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2004, 03:30:52 PM »
Yeah, for this mature one, I want corpses everywhere.  Bwahahahaha.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2004, 04:01:50 PM »
I'll leave YOUR corpse everywhere...