3DSWiiU

Sakurai: Mewtwo DLC Just About Complete, Plan To Release Soon

by Donald Theriault - March 21, 2015, 4:01 pm PDT
Total comments: 14 Source: NicoNico via Youtube

Mewtwonite X sold separately.

Smash Brothers director Masahiro Sakurai has confirmed that the Mewtwo DLC is just about complete.

Sakurai made the statement during a live video event on NicoNico with game composer Kenji Ito and Japanese voice actor Tomokazu Sugita, the Japanese voice of Chrom from Fire Emblem Awakening. In the video below, Sakurai confirmed that the first bit of downloadable content for Smash is "pretty much done" and encourages fans to stay tuned for the announcement at a later date.

The Mewtwo DLC will be available for purchase in all territories, and also given free to Club Nintendo members who registered both Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U. No word was given on other additions such as the promised Miiverse stage or tournament options.

Talkback

CaterkillerMatthew Osborne, Contributing WriterMarch 21, 2015

Mewtwo will probably come out with a few extra tournament modes and stuff, along with that Miiverse stage.

After he does come out Sakurai will NOT say development is complete because more characters are being worked on. Though honestly I bet they are all pretty much done now.

kokumakerMarch 22, 2015

But will Mewtwo get an amiibo? That's the main question here...

RPG_FAN128March 22, 2015

Quote from: kokumaker

But will Mewtwo get an amiibo? That's the main question here...

Yes, but it is all ready sold out.  "Please understand"

LucarioMarch 22, 2015

Would he work in the (better) 3ds version?

nickmitchMarch 22, 2015

It probably took them this long to decide when Mewtwo megaevolution to use for his final smash.

Mop it upMarch 22, 2015

I don't care about Mewtwo but it would be nice if more DLC got announced.

pokepal148March 22, 2015

I'm just annoyed because I lost the case for my physical copy of smash 4 on Wii U and so I don't have a code.

Vrgin XMarch 22, 2015

Just hope that the 3DS version is under 500 blocks of memory...;)

AdrockMarch 23, 2015

Quote from: Mop

I don't care about Mewtwo but it would be nice if more DLC got announced.

I agree. I don't use any Pokemon outside of matches where everyone chooses random. I'm glad we're getting anything and for free to boot. I'm hoping the only reason Sakurai hasn't announced more DLC yet is because Nintendo wants it to be "surprise" E3 news.

At the same time, with NX already announced, I could see Iwata asking Sakurai to start preparing a new Super Smash Bros. since NX needs an original title than Wii U needs DLC. Development takes about two and a half years so that would make it a perfect holiday 2017 game. I'd imagine Sakurai would not be terribly fond of working on Super Smash Bros. back to back due to admitted burn out and a desire to work on original content.

Quote from: pokepal148

I'm just annoyed because I lost the case for my physical copy of smash 4 on Wii U and so I don't have a code.

1. How does this even happen?

2. Let me see what I can do for you. My brother doesn't have a Club Nintendo account, and he may still have the code. I already redeemed the code for my copy of the game so I can't redeem another one. The only caveat is that he's notoriously awful at texting back. Also, there's a chance he may have given it to someone else already.

My friend who manages a Play N Trade may also have a used copy with an I redeemed code.

Mop it upMarch 23, 2015

I don't see why Sakurai needs to be involved with DLC (or patches), they could just assign part of the game's team on that task. Heck, I don't see why he would need to helm the next Smash Bros. either, especially since the formula is already well established: it would probably benefit the series to be directed by someone new, then maybe it would have some fresh ideas.

Luigi DudeMarch 23, 2015

Quote from: Mop

I don't see why Sakurai needs to be involved with DLC (or patches), they could just assign part of the game's team on that task. Heck, I don't see why he would need to helm the next Smash Bros. either, especially since the formula is already well established: it would probably benefit the series to be directed by someone new, then maybe it would have some fresh ideas.

Because unlike the rest of the Japanese gaming industry, Nintendo actually like to keep it's top talent happy and make sure their series still maintain the same level of quality.  Smash Bros is the way it is because of Sakurai, and Iwata clearly wants Sakurai still in charge of the series because he feels it wouldn't be the same without him.

Even if Sakurai is no longer the director of future Smash Bros, he'll definitely be a producer overlooking everything to make sure the new team doesn't mess anything up.

SorenMarch 23, 2015

Quote from: Luigi

Because unlike the rest of the Japanese gaming industry, Nintendo actually like to keep it's top talent happy and make sure their series still maintain the same level of quality.  Smash Bros is the way it is because of Sakurai, and Iwata clearly wants Sakurai still in charge of the series because he feels it wouldn't be the same without him.

Even if Sakurai is no longer the director of future Smash Bros, he'll definitely be a producer overlooking everything to make sure the new team doesn't mess anything up.

If Nintendo wants to keep Sakurai happy then they better not ask him to start developing the next Smash Bros just a few months removed from saying he was basically done with the series...

Luigi DudeMarch 23, 2015

Quote from: Soren

If Nintendo wants to keep Sakurai happy then they better not ask him to start developing the next Smash Bros just a few months removed from saying he was basically done with the series...

They won't, he'll be allowed to make something unique like Kid Icarus Uprising again to make him happy before Iwata says it's Smash time again.  Just like the games character roster was decided before development even started, all the DLC the game is going to have has already been decided by now as well.  Most of the DLC will probably be returning veterans and stages anyway so I wouldn't be surprised if most of it's already done by now as well.

Does anyone honestly think they spent the last several months working on only Mewtwo who many fans will be getting for free as a Club Nintendo reward anyway?  Oh no, they got other things prepared that everyone will need to spend their money on because their just way too much money in DLC from Smash Bros to ignore.

AdrockMarch 24, 2015

While I personally believe there's more DLC beyond Mewtwo, it isn't unreasonable to think there may not be considering this is Nintendo we're talking about. For better or worse, Nintendo often bucks conventional wisdom. DLC seems inevitable, and I believe Nintendo realizes the potential. However, it might not even come to that. Nintendo has shown a tremendous amount of loyalty to its own talent and those close to the company. If Sakurai said no DLC for whatever reason (e.g. burn out, troll etc.), I see Iwata obliging. Sure, there's tons of money to be made, but if it means doing so without Sakurai's help or blessing, Nintendo would nix DLC plans right then and there. While I'd like to see Sakurai take more of a producer/supervisor role in a sequel, I don't think it's wise to alienate him. For that reason, I can see this going either way.

Got a news tip? Send it in!
Advertisement
Advertisement