Wii

Wii Firmware Upgraded to Version 3.0

by Steven Rodriguez - August 7, 2007, 8:10 pm PDT
Total comments: 28

A bunch of small changes add up to a nice update. Also, the Wii Shop Channel gets a face lift. Update: Looks like USB keyboard support is in, too, but unlicensed discs are out.

UPDATE: Reports from around the Internet have revealed that this new firmware update also supports USB keyboards for text input in the Wii Message Board area. We have confirmed this to be true. However, keyboards will not work within the Wii channels (like the Internet Channel), meaning that they would need to be individually updated for keyboard text input to be recognized. Hopefully, the Wii firmware update is the first step in seeing that happen.

In addition, the update has disabled all of Datel's unlicensed discs, including Freeloader, Action Replay, and MaxDrive. This means that upgraded consoles no longer have a means of playing GameCube discs from other regions through a software solution. The update warns users that consoles with hardware modifications might not work after the update; however, it turns out that consoles with hardware modifications currently still function after the update.

There were also several more minor updates:

- The fan may turn on in standby mode to alleviate the overheating problem that has affected some Wii systems.

- The disc slot glows organically (rather than just turning on) when discs are inserted and removed as well as when starting the Forecast and News Channels.

- Message notifications, including an audible tone, now occur while the Wii is on the channels screen.

- The + and - keys can be used to scroll through the options pages.

- Channel switching times have decreased.


Original story:

Wii owners will find upon entering the Wii Shop Channel that a new Wii system update is available. The firmware update, which brings the console up to version 3.0, brings a lot of minor additions to the Wii Menu and its various channels. Thanks to EphemeralDream of NeoGAF, we can highlight the changes in an easy-to-swallow format:

- A digital clock has been added to the bottom of the Wii Menu, letting you know the current time (as you have set it in the Wii options menu).

- The Forecast Channel window on the Wii Menu will show the "current" weather condition. (According to my Wii, it's 11:12 PM and sunny outside. Still not really current!)

- The News Channel window on the Wii Menu will scroll current news headlines. When selecting the channel, more news headlines will scroll across the screen. The Wii notes that you should frequently use the News Channel to keep the headlines coming, indicating that they are not automatically updated.

- The "Today's Accomplishments" messages that appear on the Wii Message Board are now white in color, to help differentiate it from other messages.

- The sound produced by scrolling up and down a message has been changed to a clicking sound.

- The Message Board calendar will ignore days that only have a "Today's Accomplishments" message and nothing else.

- Names in the Address Book can be moved to a blank line by holding the A and B Buttons together, as with moving other objects in and around the Wii's menus and channels.

In addition to the Wii Menu changes, the Wii Shop Channel has returned with more useful sorting and searching options. The new welcome screen shows four recommended titles and their Wii Points price, and has a link at the top to show more recommended games, if you still aren't sure what to get. (Alternatively, you could check with us every week for our Virtual Console recommendations.) The biggest change is the ability to sort games by genre, system, publisher, or custom text search. With all the games that will eventually be on the service, it's a welcome change for those who wouldn't know where to begin with the downloading.

Remember, you'll need to manually update your Wii to get the new-look Wii Menu and gain access to the new Wii Shop Channel. If the update option in the Wii Settings isn't working, try testing your Internet connection. The system will then automatically perform the update after that.

Talkback

pyrokamileonAugust 06, 2007

i had just fallen asleep maybe ten minutes before being awakened by a glowing blue light... creepy

NemoAugust 06, 2007

After updating it, I can't seem to get online with my Wii anymore. I'll have to look into it more after work, though.

PaleMike Gamin, Contributing EditorAugust 06, 2007

Hrm. Still no SD improvement huh...

Blah.

UltimatePartyBearAugust 07, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: Nemo
After updating it, I can't seem to get online with my Wii anymore. I'll have to look into it more after work, though.


If you have more than one network connection set up, the Wii resets back to connection 1 after an update. If you're like me and used the USB dongle for a while before getting a wireless router, that might be your problem.

NeoThunderAugust 07, 2007

Updates that are something you can actually see is something to be excited about. It's a sign that Nintendo is focused on continued improvement

planetidiotAugust 07, 2007

Cool... a shopping channel update was needed pretty badly. Everyone has ideas for updates, so it's encouraging to see them adding new features and fixes.

cubistAugust 07, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: pyrokamileon
i had just fallen asleep maybe ten minutes before being awakened by a glowing blue light... creepy


I had the same experience with my Wii. I was waiting for my wife to ask me what was going on to the Wii. I knew that it Nintendo was sending an update. I can't wait to go home after work and update.



k_bukieAugust 07, 2007

I'm not sure if this is related to the update, but it seems that the Wii internal fan now continues to run while the Wii is in standby mode, which is huge for overheating concerns.

NinGurl69 *hugglesAugust 07, 2007

That would be ginormous.

Michael8983August 07, 2007

Well it's good to know Nintendo is still actually thinking about the Wii interface at all.
Now where is our new channel? That's sad when even the goofy "rate Mii"channel spoke of FOREVER ago is still not a reality. How long can it possibly take Nintendo to develop these things?

NWR_pap64Pedro Hernandez, Contributing WriterAugust 07, 2007

Still no USB update...

Bill AurionAugust 07, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: Michael8983
Now where is our new channel? That's sad when even the goofy "rate Mii"channel spoke of FOREVER ago is still not a reality. How long can it possibly take Nintendo to develop these things?

Next month...

pSYCO-gAMER321August 07, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Quote

Originally posted by: Michael8983
Now where is our new channel? That's sad when even the goofy "rate Mii"channel spoke of FOREVER ago is still not a reality. How long can it possibly take Nintendo to develop these things?

Next month...


I remember that Reggie said sometime this month.

Bill AurionAugust 07, 2007
vuduAugust 07, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: k_bukie
I'm not sure if this is related to the update, but it seems that the Wii internal fan now continues to run while the Wii is in standby mode, which is huge for overheating concerns.
Not to mention power-suckage. face-icon-small-frown.gif

Keyboard support in Wii Shop and Message board? AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Now, time to get myself a wireless keyboard... and for Opera to work on an Internet channel update...

SheckyAugust 07, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: vudu
Quote

Originally posted by: k_bukie
I'm not sure if this is related to the update, but it seems that the Wii internal fan now continues to run while the Wii is in standby mode, which is huge for overheating concerns.
Not to mention power-suckage. face-icon-small-frown.gif


No kidding, my Wii never got warm or hot... I'd prefer normal operation thanks.

Electronics these days...

BrandoggAugust 07, 2007

k_bukie - are you sure your Wii is in standby? I have the update and my fan doesn't run in standby (Wii Conncect24) mode.

Bill AurionAugust 07, 2007

It might only run in intervals, but I'm surely not going to spend the time to see if that's the case... =3

NemoAugust 07, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: PartyBear
Quote

Originally posted by: Nemo
After updating it, I can't seem to get online with my Wii anymore. I'll have to look into it more after work, though.


If you have more than one network connection set up, the Wii resets back to connection 1 after an update. If you're like me and used the USB dongle for a while before getting a wireless router, that might be your problem.


That was it. Thanks PartyBear!

NWR_pap64Pedro Hernandez, Contributing WriterAugust 07, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
Keyboard support in Wii Shop and Message board? AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Now, time to get myself a wireless keyboard... and for Opera to work on an Internet channel update...


Damn, I was about to post that...

So there WAS a small USB update. As someone pointed out was the keyboard support added for future online games?

Now all we need is the Hard drive support update and we should be set!

MashiroAugust 07, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: pap64
Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
Keyboard support in Wii Shop and Message board? AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Now, time to get myself a wireless keyboard... and for Opera to work on an Internet channel update...


Damn, I was about to post that...

So there WAS a small USB update. As someone pointed out was the keyboard support added for future online games?

Now all we need is the Hard drive support update and we should be set!


Pokemon MMO CONFIRMED!

(I have a second apple usb keyboard ready to go so bring on games with keyboard support!)

CericAugust 08, 2007

Why would you want to use an Apple Keyboard? The rest of their core devices are of high quality but I never liked the keyboard because they get worn out relatively quickly. Though the new iMac seems to be coming with what is virtually their laptop keyboard. Which is ok.

BrandoggAugust 08, 2007

I hate Apple keyboards. The font on the keys is ugly, and they just look plain stupid.

trip1eXAugust 08, 2007

Nintendo needs to use the news interface for the Shop Channel. Man that interface is way nicer all around. Plus they could something graphically with the globe and game systems and games.

Why is the weather not updating to be current? KInda worthless.

Why isn't the news channel updated more often? They also could use another source for articles besides AP. Otherwise the news channel interface rocks.

I used my Apple usb keyboard with no problem in the memo/addressbook section. Of course there should be an option to get rid of the onscreen keyboard when using a real keyboard so you have more real estate for the text.


Anyway nice little update.

EasyCureAugust 08, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: Nemo
Quote

Originally posted by: PartyBear
Quote

Originally posted by: Nemo
After updating it, I can't seem to get online with my Wii anymore. I'll have to look into it more after work, though.


If you have more than one network connection set up, the Wii resets back to connection 1 after an update. If you're like me and used the USB dongle for a while before getting a wireless router, that might be your problem.


That was it. Thanks PartyBear!


hm im still having trouble connecting online. i never had a problem after any of the other updates either. i'll be honest im not that smart when it comes to network issues or the like, it took me hours to set up my wii because it wouldnt auto obtain the IP so i had to figure out what my IP was and give it a new one... then i realized i made a small mistake when i wrote down my DNS number (my computer is too far from me wii so i wrote down all the information i think i would of needed on paper) that was preventing me from actually going online.

anywho i keep getting two error messages; one says to power cycle thru my modem and router, which if done countless times with no luck. the second says to try a different network cable. I wish it were that easy. i have 100ft of cable from my router to where the wii is, and unhooking my wii just to bring it to the tv in this room is way too much of a hassle because of the way my tv is set up as well as the one in here. so im stuck offline for awhile, and this sucks.

MashiroAugust 08, 2007

Apple keyboard hate FTL wow. I never had a problem with my keyboard getting worn out. in fact I just cleaned it the other day and it's pretty much as good as new. On the flip side I hate the new keyboards that resemble the laptop keyboard. I just don't like em.

KlapauciusAugust 09, 2007



Haha. Serves Datel right, IMO, for creating a way to bypass the release dates for consumers. I suspect Datel will just make a new Freeloader, if they havn't already, and maybe replace it for a small charge to people who bought the old version. Hey, maybe Datel wanted this so they could make more money. Not too far a stretch.

Got a news tip? Send it in!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement