Author Topic: Top 10 comfort foods  (Read 3040 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Top 10 comfort foods
« on: March 22, 2020, 03:23:02 PM »
I decided to bust into my dry goods today, after five days of being in lockdown mode. I made a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese, which I hadn't eaten in ages. Boy, it really took me back. It got me to thinking about comfort foods and asking what makes a food a comfort food? It's almost always served hot, it probably has plenty of carbs, you ate it as a child and you ate it at home.

What are your top comfort foods?

1. grilled cheese and tomato soup
2. macaroni and cheese
3. chicken noodle soup
4. lasagna
5. spaghetti
6. chicken pot pie
7. Thanksgiving dinner
8. gumbo
9. pho
10. enchiladas

Honorable mentions:
goulash
beef stew
chicken and dumplings
meatloaf
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 07:20:05 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 comfort foods
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 06:29:09 PM »
9. pho

Big thumbs up for Pho. Never ate it as a child, but after moving away it became a staple when I had almost no money but still needed something hot and filling.

Actually, almost none of my comfort foods are things I ate as a child. Probably only PB&J sandwiches. Between being a picky kid with allergies, and having busy parents who hated cooking, I have almost no positive food-related memories as a child.

So for me it goes something like:
(1) peanut butter and jam sandwiches
(2) homemade pizza (although sometimes just the crust with a light coating of butter/salt depending on whether I had money for ingredients)
(3) pho
(4) ... chocolate of any type?

Yeah... I'm not really a guy who gets much comfort from food.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 02:18:53 PM »
My wife loves pho. I'm more of a stif-fry person so I order that when we hit up a pho place.

Lots of my comfort foods I try to stay away from because of the sugar/carb load, but I still indulge from time-to-time, especially if I am sick.

Give another vote for Grilled cheese w/ tomatoe soup. There was a food truck called the Ultimate Melt that would come to my work campus when I was in Bellevue, made really good takes on grilled cheese. I especially loved the Buffalo Chicken Melt and the Chicken Pesto. They also made one that had Cheetos and mozzarella sticks inside. I am one punch away from eating another free one, so hoping I can make my way back there soon to cash out.

Love me the Kraft Mac & Cheese. Its still way better than the other ones, even the "premium" Cracker Barrel ones. There was a great sharp cheddar one that had a sharper cheese sauce than velveeta that was my favorite, but a lot of placed don't carry it anymore because they threw in the Cracker Barrel ones. Those are alright, but not the same. And the old Sharp Cheddar Kraft ones used to come with a jalapeno seasoning mix that really kicked it up a notch. Tried to recreate it at home but never quite get the combination right (probably because its got some delicious preservative in it I don't carry in my pantry!)

Since I have a house w/ a nice grill now I will regularly grill up some hot dogs or burgers. We keep a steady stock of burger patties from Costco intended for parties/gatherings and I've got plenty to last a while while keeping isolated.

Chicken quesadillas are another solid comfort staple for me. I make a creamy chipotle sauce to make them like a better version of the Taco Bell ones. Just blend up some chipotle peppers with sour cream or mayo (the mayo tastes more like TB, but sour cream tastes just as good). These are actually one of our go-to quick meals. We pre-cook/shred chicken breasts, or buy a costco rotisserie chicken and shred that up so we have a bunch of meat for the next couple days. Works great for whipping up something fast on busy evenings.

Last one I'll mention is a new dish for me, but has quickly become something I love. Chicken Tikka Masalla. Its an Indian dish that has spicy chicken in a creamy tomato-based soup. Serve with rice and garlic naan bread and it can be a hearty dish. I recently went to a local restaurant and tried this and fell in love. Decided it was expensive to go as many times as I was wanting to go, so I looked up a recipe and tried my hand at it. I botched a bit of the recipe, but my wife loved it so it was a big hit. If you ever have the opportunity to try it I highly recommend.

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 03:03:22 PM »
Lets see comfort foods. I have quite a few options that I like to go to. In no particular order.

Hot dogs and macaroni and cheese. This is pretty much my go to meal growing up and today.  Ketchup, mustard and relish on my dog and for the mac and cheese it has to be the blue box of Kraft and have some milk with it.  It all blends so well together when I go from one to another and it is just calming and relaxing.

Rainbow sherbert is one I go to in the summer and it brings me back to when I was over at my grand parents house and I would eat that there and it is so nice and I just love to take my spoon and spin it around the bowl and let the sherbert blend all nicely together and have nice swirls and then take my spoon and then take a bite and then slowly bring it out of my mouth.

Lemon Meringue pie.   It is so fluffy and sweet and a little bit tart it just pleases me when I eat it typically during the holidays or on a weekend in the fall.  Delish!!

Yes Grilled Cheese and tomato soup is so good on summer afternoons and in the winter where soups of all sort are in order.  The perfect blend of crispyness and then it blends into a nice soft and creamy meal.  How it flows down your mouth.   Yum!

Cheese/ Beef/ Ground Turkey Enchaladas are something I like to make when I have the time to and can do all the prep myself.  Just the experience of making them reminds me of my dad's side of the family and even though I didn't have much contact with them growing up it is nice to make something that calls back to that side of the family and play a part in it.

One other dish I love is chicken paramesan.   I love it so much and it is fun to make and it just tastes so good.   Have underneath it some angel hair pasta and it is a good mix of having the sauce coat the noodles and having the cut up chicken blend in with the leftover pasta and just having it all go down at once is nice.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 03:52:32 PM »
... Chicken Tikka Masalla. ...

Mmm... this is a delicious dish. Wouldn't be comfort food for me, because it's sometime I rarely eat, but it's really good!

After seeing a mention of hot dogs, are there any other weirdos out there who used to do hot dogs on pizza... or (not sure I should even admit this) just eating frozen hot dogs without cooking them?  I'm sure that can't be good for you, but remember doing it as a kid.  As I said, my parents pretty much sucked at food prep; it's no wonder I have no passion for eating now.
NNID: ejamer

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 04:28:11 PM »
I guess I can admit to eating frozen hot dogs growing up.  As to hot dogs on pizza. I think that tops my cashews on pizza.   Here take my crown of having odd food combonations.    That was on my head for so long.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 07:45:44 PM »
Kraft Dinner is an obvious one.  Meat loaf is a good comfort food for me but my mom would rarely make it.  I suspect someone in my family dislikes it and discouraged her from making it.  My mom does make spaghetti all the time though and that's a big one.  Restaurant spaghetti is dog **** compared to my mom's.

My mom's side of the family is Portuguese so sweet bread is a big comfort food and so are filhós.  Those are essentially Portuguese donuts.  My grandma would make them but she passed away quite a while ago.  My mom and my aunts are not quite that confident in making them so when I do have them they tend to be from other Portuguese friends of the family who are in their 80s, as opposed to my grandma who would be in her 90s now.

And finally I'm a big fan of cereal.  I used to eat cereal a lot, more than just for breakfast, and would drink a lot of milk but a few years ago I found out I was allergic to milk so I've stopped buying it, and cereal as well, and it honestly has improved some chronic digestive issues I had.  I'm not completely dairy free but cutting down on it has made a big difference.  But I miss cereal so much.  I figure at some point I have to treat myself and buy a box and a carton of milk.  It's not like it's a life threatening allergy so I should be able to "cheat" once in a while.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 07:49:26 PM »
Just try the alternative milks. Almond and Coconut milk are the best. Not quite the same, but at least you can enjoy the cereal (though the nutritional value of cereal is questionable at best).
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 08:00:31 PM »
Just try the alternative milks. Almond and Coconut milk are the best. Not quite the same, but at least you can enjoy the cereal (though the nutritional value of cereal is questionable at best).

"nutritional value"?!!  This is the comfort foods thread! :D

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 09:01:12 PM »
Hmmmm.... comfort foods

Well, anything home made that is ready to eat is already a HUUUUUGE Comfort to me.

but to get to specifics:
- Black Eyed Peas over rice (I usually add ketchup on top)
- Lima Beans over rice (I pepper the top like fresh fallen snow)
- Southern Style Casserole Mac n Cheese (healthy topping of pepper here too)
- Stewed Chicken over rice (It's the Test Kitchen thread)
- Taqueria Burrito (pastor for pick up an go, or chile verde for the wet sit down and eat)
- Pizza (Super Surpeme, Meat Lovers, stuffed crust, Ultimate Hawaiian)
- Ramen (made with whatever meats, usually leftover, that I can find, and some veggies and broth - link)
- Clam Chowder or Crab and Shrimp Chowder (former from a can most of the time, later I make myself)
- "All Day" Omelette (almost forgot my Manlette, Tacomlette, aka the "All Day" Omlette)

that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:12:37 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 09:28:34 PM »
One of my favorites is my dad's Pepperoni Stew. It's basically beef stew but with pepperoni in it as well, and the stock is part apple cider, which gives it a nice sweetness. A nice warm bowl of that is perfect on a cold day or when I'm not feeling great.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
A NEW CHALLENGE APPEARS!!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 09:46:14 PM »
:siren::siren:  QUARANTINE CHALLENGE!!!!! :siren::siren:

Jump into the Worldwide Test Kitchen Thread and show us how you make some of these Comfort Foods you think so fondly of!
We all stuck in the house, some of the only public activity we get (outisde of work) may be shopping in the grocery store, so let's have have at it. Show me what you eating.... and how you made it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:51:19 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 06:45:01 PM »
:siren::siren:  QUARANTINE CHALLENGE!!!!! :siren::siren:

Jump into the Worldwide Test Kitchen Thread and show us how you make some of these Comfort Foods you think so fondly of!
We all stuck in the house, some of the only public activity we get (outisde of work) may be shopping in the grocery store, so let's have have at it. Show me what you eating.... and how you made it.

I will see if I can get together something after the 1st rolls around.
Alexis, she/her/Miss