Author Topic: Zelda: Wind Waker was it a let down?  (Read 44049 times)

Offline Mumei

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Zelda: Wind Waker was it a let down?
« Reply #250 on: July 16, 2004, 02:15:24 AM »
Oh I loved it, I just think that it followed ALttP's storyline too closely.  It's okay if they are similar, because they are both Zelda games, but having the basic structure of the story be nearly identical was going a bit too far.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 16, 2004, 04:37:55 AM »
Oh, just so you know, Aonuma has said that OoT was MEANT to be similar to LttP...I see no wrong in mimicking a classic when it turned out so well...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
RE:Zelda: Wind Waker was it a let down?
« Reply #252 on: July 16, 2004, 05:08:29 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill
Oh, just so you know, Aonuma has said that OoT was MEANT to be similar to LttP...I see no wrong in mimicking a classic when it turned out so well...

Would you mind pulling up the interview, or where that came from?  It isn't that I don't believe you, but I want to show it to someone >.>

Offline Smashman

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 20, 2004, 02:02:01 PM »
OoT WAS meant to be very similar to OoT- it was deliberate. It was supposed to be sort of a 3D version of LTTP, and I prefer OoT over LTTP by a hair.

Please, stop trying to undermine one of the greatest games.
I am the one and only Smashman. Don't believe me? Well, then. I shall entomb you!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2004, 04:50:28 PM »

Originally posted by: Smashman
OoT WAS meant to be very similar to OoT

Oh...

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2004, 07:49:49 PM »
lol, what a great Quote there Don't you mean " OOT was meant to be very similair to ALTTP- " ')  

( . Y . )

something for your thoughts  
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 21, 2004, 07:18:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Smashman
OoT WAS meant to be very similar to OoT- it was deliberate. It was supposed to be sort of a 3D version of LTTP, and I prefer OoT over LTTP by a hair.

Please, stop trying to undermine one of the greatest games.

It being one of the greatest games is purely subjective.  There are many, many people who hate the game, yet love the other Zelda games - all I've said is that it has flaws that bring it down some, in my eyes.  How am I "undermining" the game?

And I didn't argue against OoT being intentionally similar to ALttP - I asked if you could find it so that I could show someone else.  I can't just tell them that some random person on the internet told me; that doesn't look credible at all.  So I'm asking for a quote or the interview, if you have it.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 21, 2004, 08:39:30 AM »
The reason why I think that Wind Waker far surpasses Ocarnia is just that you finally get to fight Ganon (Ganondorf) hand to hand.  I like the ways that you fought him in all the others, but just finally being able to just kick his ass with your own little sword is the best....except when Zelda shoots you in the butt.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 21, 2004, 06:45:41 PM »
I suppose that that could make you like it more - but far surpasses OoT, just because of a single swordfight ?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 21, 2004, 07:19:37 PM »
I put WW above OoT on my list due to my love of the WW final battle, but the two games are about equal in my esteem...

Offline Toadette

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 21, 2004, 07:26:51 PM »
I'd say WW is better because of the final battle also.  I also like it better because of all the mini sidequests.  I don't think OoT had many...I also happened to enjoy sailing from island to island.  A lot of people seem to complain about that but I think it's fun.
Currently Playing: LoZ: WW
Currently Watching: Starsky and Hutch
Currently listening to: Blink 182
Currently wanting to buy: Tales of Symphonia

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 22, 2004, 03:56:08 AM »
I think that WW was brilliant but would have been THOUSANDS of times better if there was more land and less water. That would make it the best game ever.

EVVVAAAARRRRR!

Think Golden Sun: THe lost age but with smaller continents and more islands in the middle sea.

Offline Link_Up

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 22, 2004, 01:10:17 PM »
Well, i'd say the Wind Waker gives a deeper look in the how and why of the things that happened in OoT (i especially loved Ganondorf little talk about his past on top of Ganon's Tower), and yes, getting to kick Ganondorf's butt is lol. But what i missed whas a challenge, you had to do your best to beat the guy in all the other Zelda's he was in (still got nightmares form the final Battle in AlttP ). I mean, losing 1, count 'em, 1 heart when Ganondorf strikes a blow? No way, he's the biggest bad ass baddie of them all. i say 3 to 5 hearts with every blow! And how about using different items during the battle? You used the Light Arrows yourself in OoT, and had to do a part of the final battle without the Master Sword (damn! I though when i saw that).
Guess I'm the only guy from the Netherlands... Oh well, just as long as I get to discuss Zelda-thingies!

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 22, 2004, 01:48:21 PM »
You think you had it tough. When I fought Ganon in OoT I ended up with no weapons left but a few deku nuts. I threw one and he just shook his head. I got down to the last one and I thought 'Oh what the heck', threw it at him and while he shook his head, killed him.

'ZZZZINNNNNGGG!' I though

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 22, 2004, 04:39:25 PM »
Just wanted to put in my vote for WW as my favorite Zelda ever. I enjoyed OOT and LttP and stuff, but Wind Waker was immersive. Everything had emotion and reacted to the environment. All the charactors were different and had personality. I loved exploring and helping people out. It was like a little world.

That being said, I don't quite get the difficulty debate. The first Zelda is tough IMO. The second also seemed challenging when I was a kid. But since then they haven't really been about giving you a crazy challenge in the sense that games like Mega Man did. They're not about being hard IMO. I think a lot of people think that OOT was really tough because it was sorta their first Zelda game in a sense. I remember being confused and lost in the Water Temple, but never frustrated. I don't think I died in the whole thing. I battled Gannon for like an hour at the end of the game cause I was too dumb to switch back to the Master Sword. But the mere fact that I could run around him that long and not die says something about that battle not being that tough either.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 22, 2004, 09:03:43 PM »
Ganondorf strikes pretty quickly in Wind Waker, letting him take 5 hearts per strike would mean he'd down you with one combo or something. (though I could swear he took two hearts per strike when I fought him... Yes I had problems with him since I never had any opportunity to practice the combat system before I got to him)

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 22, 2004, 11:00:25 PM »
And I'd rather have that difficulty.  What happened to Nintendo being able to make games that were at least somewhat challenging?  That weren't so easy that a 5 year old could beat them?

Offline Cube_King

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 22, 2004, 11:10:30 PM »

Originally posted by: Mumei
And I'd rather have that difficulty.  What happened to Nintendo being able to make games that were at least somewhat challenging?  That weren't so easy that a 5 year old could beat them?

I agree on the whole difficulty flaw. I dont think I can remember just one time when I got stuck at a boss or got killed by enemies. The axe man in OOT took off four hearts when he hits you just once, in WW most of the enemies only took off 1/4 heart per hit. Ganondorf(2nd fight) was as challenging as Bowser in Mario Sunshine.
"A bad game is bad forever, but a good game is even better..........." Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 22, 2004, 11:48:04 PM »

And I'd rather have that difficulty. What happened to Nintendo being able to make games that were at least somewhat challenging? That weren't so easy that a 5 year old could beat them?

Mumei, you have a bad habit of exaggerating- yes, Wind waker was easier than the other Zelda games, but saying it wasn't even somewhat challenging and that a 5 year old could beat it is just flaunting your ignorance.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 23, 2004, 12:41:02 AM »
I beat games when I was 5.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 23, 2004, 02:19:48 AM »

Mumei, you have a bad habit of exaggerating- yes, Wind waker was easier than the other Zelda games, but saying it wasn't even somewhat challenging and that a 5 year old could beat it is just flaunting your ignorance.

Of course it could be. WW's dungeons were little more than a pretty-looking path with some token enemies and one main original puzzle on the side. If I could beat Sonic 2 for the SMS when I was 4, some kid can beat WW now. I'm playing through it with 3 hearts - well, trying to; it's hard to avoid them all with the mail and all - and it still hasn't really been that challenging yet.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 23, 2004, 02:42:35 AM »
I dunno, maybe I just can't handle the combat system, I have extreme problems with the Stalfoses in OOT. Ganondorf in WW wasn't as easy for me as other people say he is. aye I should try practicing the combat syste on weaker enemies instead of downing them in two seconds (I use the "the best defense is a good offense" method in most games)

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 23, 2004, 03:22:52 AM »
The comabt system is fairly easy. Just stay still, and the minute the stalfos lowers its guard to attck, jab. That's the most efficent way to do it. Once you've done it a few dozen times in the Shadow ttemple, it should come naturally and you'll kill them off in under 10 seconds.

I like the combat in WW, even if it's too easy most of the time. The parry option is maybe a little too much relied upon, but it's not done too badly. I also like the way they incorperated large-scale and spectactular fights into WW, they can be really fun. Most of all though, the way in which different items will affect different enimies adds a fair bit of depth that previously in the series just didn't exist. For example, you'll pick up some nice stuff with the grappling hook if you know where to use it, or the boomerang will do something logical but slightly unexpected. It's another form of exploration.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 23, 2004, 07:06:05 AM »
with wind waker i just wished there was more dungeons and ganon was a bit harder. Alot of the time of playing the game was time consuming fetch quests...which would have been better replaced by more dungeons.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Smashman

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 23, 2004, 07:18:52 AM »
ThePerm- you have just read my mind (or my posts ).

I think you are all taking the "game's quality is purely subjective" a bit too far. Most people believe OoT to be superior to tWW, as that is just the way it is. Many believe the Zelda series has slipped considerably since OoT (IMO, the last truly great Zelda), to be released with MM, tWW, and many other little mini-Zelda games (all of which are not as good as the old, classic ones). They are rushing them, and releasing too many (like one a year). Nintendo needs to REALLY sit down and see if they can make a Zelda AT THE VERY LEAST comparable to OoT or LTTP (the two greats). MM and tWW, while good, just do not live up to these two games. I agree with most of what you all say about tWW, but I just believe you guys to be overrating the game.
I am the one and only Smashman. Don't believe me? Well, then. I shall entomb you!