Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 679255 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: NBA Thread: Out for the Season (Broken Hand)
« Reply #2050 on: January 24, 2020, 10:46:40 AM »
I am really excited for the progress of the Lakers this year in passing last years win total.   The Lakers have done it by everyone contributing to wins no matter how much they play in other games and it is paying off for them.   
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: January 24, 2020, 12:19:49 PM »
Even Rondo?

asking for a friend. I haven't watched many Lakers game this season ðŸ˜

Oh, and The Warriors are officially the WORST team in the league right now!!! 🎉
#1 pick here we come!!!

(Let me be excited for my team, even if for the worst reason.... It's all I have to look forward to right now as a Dubs fan 😒)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 12:22:39 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2052 on: January 24, 2020, 12:52:37 PM »
Yes even Rondo.  He has actually improved from 3 this year and was key against the Nets last night with his playmaking.

For BnM:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMmIa1wYCEE
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 12:59:36 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2053 on: January 24, 2020, 03:09:40 PM »
Even Rondo?

#1 pick here we come!!!

(Let me be excited for my team, even if for the worst reason.... It's all I have to look forward to right now as a Dubs fan 😒)

I'm sorry but the Warriors should absolutely not get the #1 pick. We all know the draft lottery is rigged, and the 2020 Warriors are a team you want it to be rigged against.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2054 on: January 24, 2020, 03:22:48 PM »
Even Rondo?

#1 pick here we come!!!

I'm sorry but the Warriors should absolutely not get the #1 pick. We all know the draft lottery is rigged, and the 2020 Warriors are a team you want it to be rigged against.
Plus with the new lottery draft system the three teams with lowest record have a 14% chance at the number one pick.  New York had the lowest wins and the #1 slot but moved down to #3. Cavs had the 2nd lowest wins and dropped to #5. Phoenix the 3rd lowest wins and dropped all the way to the 6th pick. So the number 1 pick isn't as sure as a thing as it was in years past.   

Here was the 2019 draft lottery.   https://www.nba.com/draft/2019/draft-order
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: January 24, 2020, 06:19:46 PM »
Why can't you just let me have this.... 😒

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: January 24, 2020, 07:25:08 PM »
For five straight years, the Warriors were the most dominant team in the league. It wasn’t even that close. If not for a couple tough breaks (sometimes literally), they’d have five championships. I just can’t feel bad for a team that’s going to have two top 20 players returning and a high draft pick regardless of whether it’s the top pick. The draft is a crapshoot anyway. Donovan Mitchell was the 13th pick in 2017 (and the Nuggets traded down 11 spots), easily the best player in the same draft in which the Sixers traded up for Markelle Fultz. Considering how good the Warriors are at drafting, I wouldn’t worry about it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:27:19 PM by Adrock »

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: January 24, 2020, 07:41:52 PM »
For five straight years, the Warriors were the most dominant team in the league. It wasn’t even that close. If not for a couple tough breaks (sometimes literally), they’d have five championships. I just can’t feel bad for a team that’s going to have two top 20 players returning and a high draft pick regardless of whether it’s the top pick. The draft is a crapshoot anyway. Donovan Mitchell was the 13th pick in 2017 (and the Nuggets traded down 11 spots), easily the best player in the same draft in which the Sixers traded up for Markelle Fultz. Considering how good the Warriors are at drafting, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Indeed, and Rudy Gobert was draft at # 27. Draft position is important, but moreso the talent of the front office in spotting talent.

Case in point, I was reminded of this video about how the Timberwolves have wasted 20 Lottery Picks.

BMM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nJc61D5o1Q
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2058 on: January 24, 2020, 08:49:50 PM »
New trade between the Mavs and the Warriors.

Warriors are sending over Willie Cauley-Stein to the Mavs for a 2020 2nd round pick via the Utah Jazz.

This makes sense for the Warriors as they are tanking and can get a few different centers in the draft from Wiseman and Vernon Carey Jr among others.   Mavs get someone in the middle because previous to this trade they didn't really have someone aside from Porzengus.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: January 24, 2020, 08:53:26 PM »
I thought the entire point of this trade for the Mavericks was because Dwight Powell ruptured his Achilles.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2060 on: January 24, 2020, 09:14:08 PM »
I thought the entire point of this trade for the Mavericks was because Dwight Powell ruptured his Achilles.
That is probably true as well.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: January 24, 2020, 10:36:13 PM »

Warriors are sending over Willie Cauley-Stein to the Mavs for a 2020 2nd round pick via the Utah Jazz.

This makes sense for the Warriors as they are tanking and can get a few different centers in the draft from Wiseman and Vernon Carey Jr among others.   Mavs get someone in the middle because previous to this trade they didn't really have someone aside from Porzengus.
Which pick in the 2nd round....? 🤔
Let the trades begin.
I wonder what well get for D-Lo 5 minutes before the trades deadline is over.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2062 on: January 24, 2020, 10:40:10 PM »

Which pick in the 2nd round....? 🤔
Let the trades begin.
I wonder what well get for D-Lo 5 minutes before the trades deadline is over.
The Utah Jazz pick in the 2nd round whatever it turns into.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: January 25, 2020, 09:37:42 AM »
I just need to rant about a thing. I was talking to a friend last night. He's a Sixers fan because we just live in that area. While I root for the Lakers, I'm fine with any team winning the championship except the Celtics (for obvious reasons) and the Clippers. I don't buy into the whole LA rivalry because it really isn't one right now. The Lakers and Clippers play in the same city, and that's only because Donald Sterling moved the team from San Diego after promising he wouldn't. That's it which, to me, is silliness. There's nothing else making this a rivalry. This isn't like Knicks and Heat in the 90s. Or Warriors and Cavs last decade (saying "last decade" still sounds weird). This is "you guys are... like, in the same general vicinity."

I never really had a problem with the Clippers until semi-recently (besides, you know, Sterling's blatant racism). First, I thoroughly dislike Patrick Beverley regardless of what team he plays on. There are just certain players who bother me (Jamal Murray is another one). I don't like his game; I don't like his attitude. I'd say I just don't like those kinds of players except I enjoyed Matt Barnes' game. I suppose the difference is Barnes never intentionally tried to injure anyone or at least irresponsibly put someone in a position to get injured like Beverley has (e.g. Russell Westbrook). Also, Barnes was part of the Warriors "We Believe" team, and his basketball analysis is on point. In any case, F Patrick Beverley.

More importantly, I just thoroughly hate this team's attitude.

1. The Clippers have continued to position themselves as an underdog. Y'ALL HAVE KAWHI LEONARD. What are you talking about? You can't have probably the best player in the world with Kevin Durant injured (Giannis Antetokounmpo is directly after those two in my estimation) AND Paul George then act like you're this scrappy squad no one expects to make any noise. Get the **** out of here with being the underdog. This isn't last season. I guess do whatever you need to do to stay motivated. This specific motivator just doesn't make sense.

2. I wish Doc Rivers would just shut up forever. I didn't really have an issue with him until after the 2010 Finals when he said the Celtics would have won if Kendrick Perkins played. Well, he didn't, and y'all were up by 11 points midway through the third quarter. The Lakers didn't have Andrew Bynum in the 2008 Finals, and I don't remember anyone saying "If we had Bynum, we'd have won." No, the Lakers lost because they weren't good enough to win. Full stop. They took the loss then won the next two titles (then were **** for nearly a decade). I really, really hate the if-X-we-would-have-won mindset. Shut your mouth and find a way to win.

More recently, Rivers said something that really rubbed me the wrong way. He said the Lakers' philosophy is "whatever LeBron says." My annoyance here isn't about the Lakers or LeBron James. The Clippers let Kawhi Leonard sit out of back-to-back games and whenever he feels like. So get that hypocritical bullshit right the **** out of here, you daft asshole. The Raptors didn't say that **** last year because they knew exactly what they were doing (they're also one of the classier teams in the league). I don't even oppose load management. I'd like to see players play, but until load management doesn't work, I just shrug my shoulders. But don't come after others when you're doing the same thing. *exasperated sigh*

Almost any other year, I wouldn't really care if the Clippers won the title. I just can't with this team this year in particular.

/rant

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: January 25, 2020, 07:43:05 PM »
I think I've established how I feel about Los Angeles in general, be they Lakers or Clippers. They continually get the money, they continually get the talent, and they continually get the media attention.

Neither of these teams are "underdogs", especially this year.

MEANWHILE...

BMM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGWRFV9RKgY

The Jazz were down all night against the Mavericks, several times by double digits. Then they come back to win in the final minute on a game-winning 3 by Royce O'Neal, followed by a big play by...oh what was his name...

OH YEAH! RUDY...FUCKING...GOBERT, the soon-to-be 3-time Defensive Player of the Year, and he'd better be an All Star, too!

BMM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqO7NmPSqcE

:D

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2065 on: January 26, 2020, 02:48:41 PM »
Uh, breaking news out of LA: Kobe Bryant was among five killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas. Variety confirmation

Edit: Woj confirms that his daughter Gianna (13) was also on the helicopter. Fucking hell.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 04:08:45 PM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: January 26, 2020, 04:17:24 PM »
Uh, breaking news out of LA: Kobe Bryant was among five killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas. Variety confirmation

Edit: Woj confirms that his daughter Gianna (13) was also on the helicopter. Fucking hell.

*sigh*

Such a waste, all around. I was never particularly fond of Kobe, but he was exceptionally talented and he'll definitely be missed. And for someone as young as his daughter to go that way...damn. I hope the media gives focus to everyone who died in that crash, not just the Bryants.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: NBA Thread: Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)
« Reply #2067 on: January 26, 2020, 04:27:04 PM »
Love him or hate him, only a handful of players have been as culturally impactful as Kobe.  He was a player that truly transcended his sport.  I remember towards the end of his career, commercials for his shoes were events in and of themselves.  I was just laughing about his Kobe System commercials a few weeks ago.  This is a great tragedy for his family and his fans all over the world who were waiting to see what was next from him in basketball, to hear his hall of fame speech, and much more in his other ventures.  Rest in peace.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: January 26, 2020, 04:44:17 PM »
R.I.P. KOBE
And his daughter, and anyone else that was in the crash.

Such a terribly fucking tragedy. Prayers out to all the affected family members ðŸ™ðŸ¾ðŸ˜”

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2069 on: January 26, 2020, 05:36:30 PM »
Feeling heartbroken about Kobe and his eldest daughter and them dying in such a way.  I feel sorry for anyone that died in the crash. 

As a personal aside Kobe was who I liked watching and the energy he brought to the game.  He was one of the players who got me into watching the NBA constantly.  I played youth basketball growing up but he made me tune in and watched the Lakers through the good times and the bad times. Kobe was there all through it and was a beacon of a shining star in LA.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2070 on: January 26, 2020, 06:14:07 PM »
The LA sheriff's department held a media briefing and there were nine people on the flight manifest.

I'm sick right now.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: January 26, 2020, 09:02:43 PM »
I missed this news literally all day. I wasn’t a huge Kobe Bryant fan on or off the court. In any case, he meant a lot to the Lakers, the city of Los Angeles (and many other cities), the league, and basketball itself. He’ll definitely be missed.

Eight other people died which is an all-around tragedy. Was Gianna the youngest casualty? Everything about even writing that sentence makes me feel ill. A child died, and I’m hoping an even younger child wasn’t involved.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:04:25 PM by Adrock »

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2072 on: January 26, 2020, 09:17:41 PM »
It seems if there was, they'd have been close to Gianna's age since the intended destination was a basketball camp. There's been other reports about victims including someone of a similar age and both of their parents being among the passengers.
Tutorial box out.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2073 on: January 26, 2020, 09:20:49 PM »
I missed this news literally all day. I wasn’t a huge Kobe Bryant fan on or off the court. In any case, he meant a lot to the Lakers, the city of Los Angeles (and many other cities), the league, and basketball itself. He’ll definitely be missed.

Eight other people died which is an all-around tragedy. Was Gianna the youngest casualty? Everything about even writing that sentence makes me feel ill. A child died, and I’m hoping an even younger child wasn’t involved.
I don't know if his daughter was the youngest on the helicopter but his daughter was the oldest daughter who died. 13 years old. Gianna Marie Bryant was her name.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:28:47 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: January 26, 2020, 10:07:00 PM »
Well I stumbled into some weird stuff on reddit

https://old.reddit.com/r/n64/comments/etugkt/rescued_a_wrecked_copy_of_majoras_mask_someone/

from a day ago.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post