Author Topic: New Smash Brothers Characters Revealed  (Read 17468 times)

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
New Smash Brothers Characters Revealed
« on: July 14, 2014, 03:11:00 AM »

If you like Fire Emblem, today's your lucky day!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/38071/new-smash-brothers-characters-revealed

Lucina and Robin from Fire Emblem: Awakening have been confirmed for the upcoming Smash Bros. games for 3DS and Wii U.

The video shown this morning revealing them has Chrom wounded. Lucina takes the blade to fight Captain Falcon from the F-Zero series who is now confirmed to be in the game. The trailer also shows Robin (the default name for your avatar character in Fire Emblem: Awakening) using various tomes to subdue enemies. This, along with other Fire Emblem characters Ike and Marth, are showcased in the trailer.

Towards the end of the video, right after Chrom says perhaps another day he'll join the fight, he too is revealed as being part of the fray, in what appears to be a Final Smash for one of the characters. A female version of Robin was revealed as well, perhaps as an alternative outfit.

The Nintendo 3DS version of Smash Bros. is out Oct. 4, with the Wii U version coming in the fourth quarter of 2014. Check out the trailer below!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: New Smash Brothers Characters Revealed
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:17:11 AM »
Three in one reveal is pretty awesome. A lot of representation from one game let alone a B-level Nintendo series. There's now more Fire Emblem representation than Zelda though Ganondorf is a shoe-in. Robin looks really fun and different than Marth and Ike.

Nice to see Captain Falcon official too.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:19:18 AM »
Newsflash: Fire Emblem isn't B-tier anymore. #PraiseTheWaifus
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:19:56 AM »
I gotta take it all in! I am absolutely blown away!

That Gematsu leak hasn't been proven false aside from when characters would be revealed but we got Chrom and SOOOO MUCH MORE!

A 4 in one today! 5 FIRE EMBLEM REPS! THERE IS HOPE FOR RIDLEY!!!!

Can I get a HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!!!? :confused; ?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:20:29 AM »
Am I the only one that found this intro video to be super confusing? I know Sakurai likes trolling us with misdirection in these, but I couldn't follow this one at all. Maybe my memories of FE: Awakening are just too fuzzy?
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:29:17 AM »
*continues waiting* for Ray. Or at the very minimum, some mention to the Disaster universe.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 10:30:15 AM »
Newsflash: Fire Emblem isn't B-tier anymore. #PraiseTheWaifus
Nah, until it starts doing Mario or Zelda numbers, it's still not on the same level. They can't even justify a non-crossover Wii U version.

Anyway, after watching the reveal trailer again, I don't think Chrom is selectable. He looks like Robin's Final Smash. They're both circling Captain Falcon and Omnislashing his face and pride.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 10:31:01 AM »
-A Fire Emblem character that uses magic is finally playable
-Reveal shows there are still new characters the leaker didn't reveal, meaning Ridley still has a chance
-CAPTION FUCKING FALCON!!!

I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 10:41:10 AM »
I have no idea who these people are? They will all be fodder for the guns of the Mac!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 10:43:32 AM »
*continues waiting* for Ray. Or at the very minimum, some mention to the Disaster universe.

There need to be two Rays: the one from Disaster: Day of Crisis and one from Custom Robo. Or if Sakurai really wanted to troll, make those both different costumes of the same character.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:44:25 AM »
I am pretty happy with this, as not only did we get a Fire Emblem Character who isn't generic lord guy with a sword, but said character actually seems to finally reprisent the spirt of the series' tactical use of items that possess durability between the various tomes and that levin sword, which Robin was not shown to be wielding the entire time. I am most certainly Psyched for the living embodiment of Grima!

Lucina... honestly, better be a Marth skin. >_>;; considering the fact that the mysterious 'Marth' character you encounter in the earlier parts of FE:A happens to be her and the fact that she is super duper clone-tastic from the looks of this reveal trailer is really making me hope.

It is kinda funny that Chrom ended up the odd man out here and as a result this... kinda breaks the Gematsu leak, which from what I'm guessing is probably an insider who ended up getting relieved of this position over at Bandai Namco VERY early on in the game's development and that his information is outdated. 

That being said, I kinda feel like a jackass now for posting that drawing of the Monado showing the Smash Bros. Symbol onto Miiverse. I mean, there's still a lot of evidence in Shulk's favor, and I almost feel like we got the fire emblem characters just to subvert that expectation a little bit.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 10:47:30 AM »
Lucina's moves looked different than Marth's, but they could always be the alternate customization moves.

Still, aw, Roy. Aw.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 10:55:19 AM »
A couple more quick fire observations.

Lucina was not given one of the double sized NEWCOMER buttons on the official Website

They chose the dorkiest pose for Captain Falcon's official art, which I am fully looking forward to when he comes in amiibo form.

Captain Falcon seems to be taking a lot of design cues from his GP Legend design. actually, if he had the gold shoulderpad and the pointier chin, he'd almost look like the Rick Wheeler Version.

http://puu.sh/aaXyE/c90571cb4e.jpg Please tell me that this is the face Captain Falcon now makes when he performs his Down air spike move.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 11:21:25 AM »
It is kinda funny that Chrom ended up the odd man out here and as a result this... kinda breaks the Gematsu leak, which from what I'm guessing is probably an insider who ended up getting relieved of this position over at Bandai Namco VERY early on in the game's development and that his information is outdated. 

That does seem like the case.  For Greninja the leaker only said a Pokemon from X/Y, which as we found out at the E3 roundtable, Sakurai picked Greninja because he liked the characters design when he was shown the early X/Y designs, and that Geninja didn't even have an official name yet.  The leaker also said recently around E3 that there was debate about if Lucas should be cut or not.  Something like that would have been happening much earlier in development when they were deciding what resources would be spread out, not a few months ago when the game is in the final stages of development.

As we know from Brawl, they plan all the characters at the beginning and then make cuts from there.  I wouldn't be surprised of Chrom was planned early on, but then Sakurai realized what many of us did that 3 blue haired Fire Emblem sword using lords taking up the character select screen is too much.  So they cut Chrom in favor of using Robin who actually represented the player in Fire Emblem, and allows for the use of magic attacks, making them a much needed unique Fire Emblem character.  They probably took the Chrom model they worked and decided to use it for Robins Final Smash since why let a character they worked on go to complete waste.

So yeah, Chrom is probably the special case where he was originally going to be playable but got changed.  For Shulk and Chorus Men, I don't see them getting cut since they represent new franchises for Smash Bros with completely unique movesets.  Plus as we saw from the Smash Run demo, there's a Rhythm Heaven ghost enemy in it which means a Rhythm Heaven character is playable.  Of course Sakurai might have the Chorus Men in favor of a different Rhythm Heaven character, but either way, we're getting some kind of crazy Rhythm Heaven character that I expect to be insanely awesome.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »
Absolutely freaking amazing. Especially Robin. Finally a Fire Emblem character that is different and not swords. I liked Lucina, so I'm glad she was added to fray over Chrom.

There is still yet hope Shulk.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Online Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 01:08:31 PM »
Wow. I can 't be the only one underwhelmed with this trailer, right? I mean, Robin isn't very offensive because of the durability aspect and actually using magic, but Lucina was completely unnecessary in addition to that. She may be one of my favorite characters from Awakening but she looks terribly clone-like and that doesn't justify a spot for her at all, in my opinion.

Maybe it's because I was hoping for Shulk, but I am very underwhelmed. Out of all the newcomers, I haven't seen one I'm dying to play as. I don't think that two Awakening characters deserved entry into Smash- there are plenty of other characters from the series that could have taken a spot.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 01:24:08 PM »
Lucina was completely unnecessary in addition to that. She may be one of my favorite characters from Awakening but she looks terribly clone-like and that doesn't justify a spot for her at all, in my opinion.
Lucina might be a Marth alt. In that case, she totally deserves to be in the game.

Fire Emblem newcomers seem to be from whatever the latest game is. Roy in Melee, but he got the boot because Marth is the series' most well known and reoccurring character. Ike was Path of Radiance's main character and Robin is the player character in Awakening. I haven't played Awakening, but my understanding is Lucina pretends to be Marth. The choices all make sense.
I am very underwhelmed. Out of all the newcomers, I haven't seen one I'm dying to play as.
Oh, we have another one.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 03:34:02 PM »
A few brief thoughts:
1) Glad to see they haven't buried Captian Falcon completely.

2) I don't mind the new Fire Emblem character announcements, but I feel like two new ones are a bit overkill when there are already 2 other ones, all which use swords.  Granted, Robin at least has magic as well, so I'm curious to read more.  How many characters do people think are going to be in the final version?  It seems like we should be hitting the upper-limit soon...

3) At least it wasn't Ridley.  I clearly don't understand why this character is requested so much in Smash, as I can't see how they'd make him playable in a way that's fun.  I'd be willing to hear an argument otherwise, though.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 05:06:16 PM »
Lucina! Robin! Captain Falcon! I'm happy and excited.

Then again, all the newcomers have been pleasing for me so I can't understand disappointment for them. Granted, I do have characters that I would want in Smash 4, but I like all the newcomers so far.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 05:37:34 PM »

There need to be two Rays: the one from Disaster: Day of Crisis and one from Custom Robo. Or if Sakurai really wanted to troll, make those both different costumes of the same character.

With floating exploding bears that unleash tornadoes?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 06:25:48 PM »
Ridley could do just fine as a Charizard clone. Don't see why people think he could not fit in the game. It's Smash. Anything can be forced into the world with a little creativity.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TheBigK

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 07:19:31 PM »
I love Fire Emblem, so today is indeed my lucky day.
Nintendo Network ID: TheBigK

Add me!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 07:56:33 PM »
Stratos:  I think your Ridley Idea is the best yet.  Give Ridley a few different normal moves and make one or two changes to the special moves and you have a great Clone character.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 08:23:58 PM »
I'm conflicted.

First, It's great to see more females represented in Smash. As someone who chose to play as a female in FE: Awakening, I'm particularly happy to see the inclusion of female 'Robin'.

While I've only played 3 of the Fire Emblem games, I now consider myself a fan of the series, and am happy that it's getting represented.

On the other hand, I really don't need this much Fire Emblem in Smash. I always thought the FE characters in Smash were too similar and, honestly, a little boring. So the thought of having Ike, Marth, Chrom, and Lucina, all sword-wielders, seems like overkill. At least 'Robin' seems to be bringing something Unique with his/her Tomes.

It's a bummer, because Fire Emblem's characters are actually pretty diverse. I'd have loved to see a Cavalry character on horseback like Frederick, an archer like Virion, or a Axe-wielder like Reyn...I mean Vaike. Or better yet, throw a shape-shifting rabbit in there.
Gouge away.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 08:24:51 PM »

That's what I was thinking too when I was under the false impression the leaked info all came from a single report over a year ago. But I've since learned that's not the case-- these were multiple reports coming out over time. The one reporting Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Men was the most recent... and it's no coincidence that Chrom was teased at the beginning of the video. Sakurai KNEW we'd be expecting Chrom because they've apparently identified the leaker and purposely fed them false information this time around. So, the info isn't likely out of date, it was a hoax. Don't expect Shulk or Chorus Men either.