Author Topic: Cubemen 2 Hands-on Preview  (Read 1150 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Cubemen 2 Hands-on Preview
« on: March 23, 2014, 04:06:43 AM »

The highly customizable RTS is fully cross-platform.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/hands-on-preview/36918/cubemen-2-hands-on-preview-at-gdc

The advent of Minecraft set off a renaissance of cube-based games. Cubemen 2 is a real-time strategy game that keeps the presentation simple, but provides nearly endless complexity of gameplay. Cubemen 2 is a bit of a sandbox, so I imagine you’ll get out what you put into it. There are a huge numbers of options and modes. The basic gameplay involves choosing which units to send out where and what actions they should take to attack or defend against other teams.

The game features a number of modes, including basic tower defense-style play, capture the flag, and a mode where you try to capture the most territory. Up to six players can play online, or AI can take over the teams. The modes are fully customizable, and each mode requires different types of strategy. Seeing the tiny voxel characters walking around and blowing stuff up reminded me of the classic game Lemmings.

Cubemen 2 features a full level editor, as well as a theme editor, which allows you to skin the cubes to give them some character. Custom levels can be shared privately or publicly, and Cubemen 2 is the first game that will allow both cross-platform multiplayer as well as cross-platform sharing of level designs. Steam and iOS users have already generated several thousand levels, which will be ready to go when the Wii U version launches. From gameplay to design, the Wii U touchscreen provides an easy way to interact with the game.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Cubemen 2 Hands-on Preview
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 06:36:51 AM »
Some parts reminded me of Darwinia.

I also remember playing a few online matches of Multiwinia...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline onlymatt

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Cubemen 2 Hands-on Preview
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:30:36 PM »
Looks like fun, hope there is good support,
Life is short, so live it.